• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cartoons today: Why do they suck?

Ethan

Banned
Hey, I don't think anyone needs a newsflash to know that most cartoons nowadays really suck, or to be more precise, worthless regurgitated garbage. Now don't get me wrong, the 12 year old in me will probably not be going anywhere soon. I love cartoons. I'll probably be 40 years old and still be watching them. The point is what's on air today pales in comparison to the pretty awesome stuff they came out with in the 90's.

So am I just blowing smoke out of my ass? Well let's take a look.

x. Some examples.!~

My gym partner is a monkey
My life as a teenage robot
Squirrel boy

You know what? Those are enough. I just ate. I remember when when Nick and CARTOON NETWORK DAMNIT NOT CN, aired some pretty damn good shows. Take toonami for example. The always had the coolest shows! I mean, I was completely nuerotic about DBZ. It's the only other anime shit I ever really got into aside from pokemon. They also had other cool shows like Gundam. Then it got moved to Saturdays instead of during weekdays right after I got home from school. Then I don't know what the hell happened. What happened to shows like Dexters lab? NO WE GOT CRAP LIKE CAMP LAZLO.

This kid sums up why CN sucks BALLS these days.

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/1653/

Nick? Nick didn't nosedive as hard as cartoon network did, but they still bit the dust pretty bad. We had to deal with crap that aren't even cartoons! Zoey101? Great I'm so glad to know that kids these days are interested in pint sized soap operas. Or "my life as a teenage robot" Holy crap. HERE'S A HINT. How about not coming out with a bunch of crap cartoons that all have to deal with puberty in some way or another and actually make cartoons.

Yeah, yeah, I know we got some decent stuff. Sure we got avatar, fosters home for imaginery friends, and other things that didn't make you want to tear your eyes out. However for every gem like avatar, these crap networks spew out a steaming pile of shit.

- So why do cartoons these days suck?
- Is there an end in sight?

Most cartoons today are cute.

BUT IT'S WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.

I don't bother with today's cartoons, thank heavens for my old school cartoons dvd's and youtube! It's like all the good cartoonists left the building and all that were left were a bunch of leperous retards. Wait a second maybe Cartoon studios befell the same fate as Sonic Team... I think I'm onto something there.

treespyro

Vintage much?
Squirrel boy

No more ideas, Man and I blame the current pre-teens and younger teenages as well as Society.

I remember the days of Rocko, Real Monsters, Hey Arnold and co. Those where fun times but now we have crap. Blame Society and lack of good ideas

porygonfan

All the cartoons have crazy characters with all the crazy sounding talk and seem very hyper and weird. Like all the kids in cartoons seems like little gangsta's.

kochoupink

butts lol
I kind of blame Spongebob. Once they realized that that brand of stupidity really does sell, the quality of cartoon writing really did decrease dramatically.

Heracross

Custom User Title
I remember being p/ssed when Disney bought out Doug and made it suck. Guess that kinda signaled the beginning of the end for me. Spongebob does have some quite entertaining episodes in my opinion, but it's kinda hit-or-miss.

Last edited:

WolvesareFunny

Lucario hugger!
Hey, I don't think anyone needs a newsflash to know that most cartoons nowadays really suck, or to be more precise, worthless regurgitated garbage. Now don't get me wrong, the 12 year old in me will probably not be going anywhere soon. I love cartoons. I'll probably be 40 years old and still be watching them. The point is what's on air today pales in comparison to the pretty awesome stuff they came out with in the 90's.

x. Some examples.!~

Squirrel boy

You know what? Those are enough. I just ate. I remember when when Nick and CARTOON NETWORK DAMNIT NOT CN, aired some pretty damn good shows. Take toonami for example. The always had the coolest shows! I mean, I was completely nuerotic about DBZ. It's the only other anime shit I ever really got into aside from pokemon. They also had other cool shows like Gundam. Then it got moved to Saturdays instead of during weekdays right after I got home from school. Then I don't know what the hell happened. What happened to shows like Dexters lab? NO WE GOT CRAP LIKE CAMP LAZLO.

Nick? Nick didn't nosedive as hard as cartoon network did, but they still bit the dust pretty bad. We had to deal with crap that aren't even cartoons! Zoey101? Great I'm so glad to know that kids these days are interested in pint sized soap operas. Or "my life as a teenage robot" Holy crap. HERE'S A HINT. How about not coming out with a bunch of crap cartoons that all have to deal with puberty in some way or another and actually make cartoons.

Yeah, yeah, I know we got some decent stuff. Sure we got avatar, fosters home for imaginery friends, and other things that didn't make you want to tear your eyes out. However for every gem like avatar, these crap networks spew out a steaming pile of shit.

Agreed completely!

Eclipse

I AM GONE.

Because the characters are cliche, mary-sue and repetative. Orphans always seem to come into it somehow. Also, the plots are getting more and more ridiculous. When I first saw My gym partner is a monkey on FFN, I was astounded by how badly cartoonists were scraping the bottom of the barrel. What's next, My Librarian's Sisters Hairdresser is a Toilet?

And all those spy shows? Puh-lease.

Doom is upon us forever more.

Even for kids, the shows are too kiddy. I'm sure that a regular kid would appreciate at least one mature and witty remark. It also seems like people are harder to get to enjoy cartoons anymore... I mean, I barely see how people were entertained by the old cartoons.

mew801

I totally agree with Babylon. Cartoons really suck these days. I used to love shows like Dexters Lab and Powerpuff Girls etc etc.

I think the thing is, is that people are trying to be funny, and make the cartoons funny, but it actually isn't working. Well it is on some people, but especially older people who used to watch cartoons when they were really good, and still watch them now, are just finding they are stupid.

I guess the thing with shows like Zoey101 is that they are trying to appeal to the pre teen/teen age group, cause some of them don't watch the cartoons, and it is like a mini soap opera to them. I have to admit, I do watch them sometimes, but that is only if there is nothing else on TV to watch. I don't personally have anything against Nick. I think some of their shows are really cool, like Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents, and I do like Ned's Declassified, but then again their are shows that i HATE SO MUCH!! Shows like
~Mr Meaty
~Viva Pinata
~Ricky Sprocket
~The Mighty B.

I think they are all just so stupid and annoying. They are not even funny.

I do think there is future for cartoons. We just need some people who remember the good old days of cartoons, to make new ones. I hope it isnt the end, because I love the old cartoons. Apart from the bad graphics (but i have to say, some of the graphics today are still crap), they are so cool, and I really miss watching them.

Josiah

is your favorite
I wish Spongebob died before the Movie came out. When it began it was great, but now it may as well be called Spongebob and Patrick, Slapstick Comedy Duo. It tanked within a couple of years after it got better animation.

The main problem I see with cartoons these days is that every main character has to be crazy and almost every line has to be a (lame) joke.

Good cartoons don't have to be absolutely over the top all the time. A good example of a character that acts like a normal person is Arnold.

Last edited:

mew801

The main problem I see with cartoons these days is that every main character has to be crazy and almost every line has to be a (lame) joke.

Good cartoons don't have to be absolutely over the top all the time. A good example of a character that acts like a normal person is Arnold.

I couldn't agree with you more. I loved Hey Arnold. It was such a good show. I can't believe they barely show it anymore.
Exactly what I meant about the lame joke thing. I mean yea a good kids cartoon show has to be funny, but it gets to a point where they put too much "funny" in and it just gets really lame.

the elite trainer

Warrior Of Darkness

x. Some examples.!~

Squirrel boy

Totaly agree.

What happend to good shows like tom and jerry? Nope we have crap like... I don't even want to think about it. In the new shows, Every character HAS to be stupid.

Rave

Banned
You know... these channels that used to harbor pretty awesome cartoon shows, not just CN, Nickelodeon and Disney, but lets also give props to those Saturday Morning cartoons, where you wake up early that day, just to get your fix of Fox Kids or Kids WB in the morning with some awesome little treasures on the tube.

The only thing I can say though, is that I think its not just the lack of ideas today, but also the standards that pretty much affect cartoons today. But.. that's just some ideas from me that I'm just tossing in there.

May as well try to catch those Looney Tunes on CN this Thursday. Hopefully big viewership will at least try to bring those cartoons back on CN's lineup after 4 years.

~Magic Thunderbolt~

Nostalgia-colored glasses are attached with the world's strongest adhesive.

Agreed; this is precisely why many people also think that modern music sucks too.

Don't get me wrong. I guess it's because that we see these cartoons as older people, when we are no longer amused by the slapstick. Maybe our favorite cartoons desensitized us? :p

Try asking older people on their opinion on our favorite cartoons and their favorites.

Dattebayo

Banned
Cartoons stink these days because they're abusing things that made the old cartoons classic. Even long-running cartoons are getting stale.

KetchupO

tωisted
Maybe because they're aimed at children & you're no longer a child.
I don't think they suck. Cartoon Network ones yes, not Disney ones.

That's stupid.

Children don't want to see a 'normal person'.
That's not what entertains them.
Wacky & wild characters appeal to them, so maybe for once, ya'll can take into consideration the TARGET audience of these cartoons & stop putting your selfish selves first.

x. Some examples.!~
x. Like omg get a life you retard!~

Because flaming moderators is always a good idea

-Babylon

Last edited: