• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cartoons today: Why do they suck?

dragon-dark-master

Thanks SPPf. TTYL
Since when do cartoons suck???

Ill admit that there are some bad ones, but then again, there has been bad TV shows forever, so don't rag on cartoons.....rag on reality!!!!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Some cartoons today may suck, but they will never be as horrible as the blatantly racists cartoons that they had in the old days. This isn't say that every cartoon back then were racist, but there has been quite a few.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
i honestly dont think nostalgia has anything to do with it.

honestly, can anybody deny the humor you would see in Hey Arnold! compared to... friggin' Spongebob Squarepants?

it had rimshots for crying out loud.

fishyfool couldnt have said it any better. i guess slapstick humor is the thing these things. it's simpler, it takes less thinking and it makes them enough money. they dont care about the 90s people anymore.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I skimmed through this thread, and I would like to make further comments.

First, some old shows really did suck. This time, I'm not talking about the racist ones. Here are some examples:
Cow & Chicken
Tiny Toon Adventures
Kablam, that's it.

It makes me look back and ask my self, "Why in the hell did I watch this crap?"

Of course, though, the new cartoons do indeed suck. The butt humor in My Gym Partner's a Monkey just competely grinds my gears. Other shows like Rocket Power really sucked with its annoying characters and lingo. Some others I don't watch, like Squirrel Boy, but I bet they are terrible.

The real treasures in cartoon history would be shows like Animaniacs. Heck, I even like the original Scooby Doo for its corniness, the way they use the same music and practically do the same things in every episode. Same thing with Doug, with its corniness that was actually funny. Rugrats was somewhat a gem as well, as that was probably the main cartoon I watched when I was little. New shows like Avatar are pretty good as well. And of course, there are some good animes that existed throughout time.

Edit: I'm sorry to those I offended that liked Tiny Toons Adventures. I just have an irrational hatred of that show, that's all.

Last edited:

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
hey, Tiny Toon Adventures is awesome dude. :(

Emo_Kirlia

I think it's because of teenage stars influencing little kiddies. At the elementary bus stop in my neighborhood I don't see 1 girl without an "I heart Troy" Backpack on. And when I went to the mall last week there were 1st-6th graders shopping at American Eagle, Hollister, and Hot Topic. No lie. Also I see a bunch of kids at my school in the 6th and 7th grade and have a $600 phone >.>(Iphone to be exact) I didn't get an iPod until christmas '08. It makes me wonder "Why the heck would you give your kid a $600 iphone and a $300 ipod touch? >.> That's just spoiling the little brats >.< If you're gonna give those expensive-*** things to your kids, atleast make them keep it at home -_-..."

I miss Pokemon Master Quest and below that.
Also Jhonny Bravo.
Also the early Naruto.
Also Out of the box(bet no one remember's this one)
Cartoon Network(my mistake...'CN') can just go on scratching there *****e$ all day as long as kids are watching that c.rap >.> we should show those kids what 'Real' cartoons are.

Last edited:

Hydrangea

ask me about my ocs pls
Staff member
yeah cartoons suck these days im only 11 though
so i don't know what they used to be like:(

No more torture please cartoons
these ones suck
Chowder
Flapjack

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.
Easy. Because ideas have run short, the creators get high. These creators go to the writers, who blatantly refuse to write such stuff. Then the creators get the writers drunk. Under the influence, the writers write crap. Then this goes to the producer, who only cares about the creme filled doughnuts and let's it go to Cartoonnetwork. Where the head staff is too concerned with the bugs in their secrtary's hair and bananas. (Yes, I am implying there monkeys). Then it goes to the audiance, they either become retarded or bulimic.

Weavilegirl

Honey Im home..owner
Some how, the writers for the cartoons got the idea that kids like stupid cartoons and so now we are stuck with crap like you said Camp Lazlo and stuff.

Haxon22

iJerk
Jimmy Neautron

Zazie

So 1991
Cartoons nowaday don't suck. You're just too old to be watching them.

Nonsense, you can never be too old to be watching cartoons. Adult Swim is en entire cartoon block marketed to the 18-34 demogrphic. Older Cartoons such as Looney Toons were meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages. The old Cartoon Network seemed to be just as much for adults than children.

Last edited:

raichu2626

Volt Tackle
Nonsense, you can never be too old to be watching cartoons. Adult Swim is en entire cartoon block marketed to the 18-34 demogrphic. Older Cartoons such as Looney Toons were meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages.

Completely agree..Today's cartoons are just weird, they don't really have good plots at all.

hello moto

Top of the morning
Cartoon Network has lost the appeal to me after they cancled Toonami out, then they canceled all the old cartoons (except for PPG, Loony tunes and Tom an Jerry) and shoved in retarded shows like Squrrile Boy, MGPAM and Ben 10. Everytime i turn on CN, there's a marathon of Ben 10, it pisses me off, then the week later they do the same crap with " Ben 10 - the pop up edition".
They moved the Adult Swim programs to Mtv (where i live) was another blow, they cancled out all the good anime shows and replaced them with Bo-bo-bo-bo (can't spell it).

Nicklodeon has lost it too. Crap shows like Zoey 101 where "pre teen" stuff are discussed are useless as well (she has a ****ing child for god's sake) or the Mighty B. They usually show some good stuff though, re-runs of Fairly odd parents and Jimmy Neutron etc. Sponge bob, who started out good but the new crap episodes are losing it.
I am thankful that they have canceled the "Naked Brother band", i don't want to see rich, ADHD children forlicking around.

Disney channel however, i think is the worst. Canceling out all the classics like "Alladin", " The little mermaid and replacing them with literally crap like " Hannah Montana" and "sweet life of retard and retard"
They degraded a legend like Mickey to a stupid program on Playhouse Disney, i'll never forgive them for that.

In end, i feel sorry for kids these days to suffer these programs.

Last edited:

RandomCharizard

Nonsense, you can never be too old to be watching cartoons. Adult Swim is en entire cartoon block marketed to the 18-34 demogrphic. Older Cartoons such as Looney Toons were meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages. The old Cartoon Network seemed to be just as much for adults than children.

I'll give you the Looney Toons, and the adult swim. But, nowadays...Cartoons before the adult swim hour are aimed at kids. Of course most of it won't make sense, its aimed at kids. Most kids like stupid comedy. They like fart jokes. I hate to see that everytime I come onto this forum I see a thread about how "cartoons suck". Cartoons don't suck nowadays, they're just aimed more towards kids. Its like saying spanish music sucks because you can't understand it.

Some cartoons today may suck, but they will never be as horrible as the blatantly racists cartoons that they had in the old days. This isn't say that every cartoon back then were racist, but there has been quite a few.

So? Most of us weren't alive back when cartoons were racist. That was in the 60s/70s IIRC.

@Tyrant Tar: Those weren't racist. They were actually anti-Nazi.