• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cartoons today: Why do they suck?

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT

And I'm really old. Anyone wanna back me up on 80's cartoons > * here? :(
Thunder...Thunder, THUNDER. THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Hey I like anything that has some quality to it.
Anyways KetchupO has been royally owned so I have nothing to say to him now. At any rate I just dislike how much cartoons talk down to children these days. Even today's censorship standards show this by not allowing any realistic weapons to be used on todays tv shows. Though it slips past the censors at times. They assume it'll make children more violent since they are not bright enough to comprehend right and wrong.
Also on a side note I think the Hey Arnold movie ended that show iirc.

Cobalt_Latios

Thunder...Thunder, THUNDER. THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Hey I like anything that has some quality to it.
Anyways KetchupO has been royally owned so I have nothing to say to him now. At any rate I just dislike how much cartoons talk down to children these days. Even today's censorship standards show this by not allowing any realistic weapons to be used on todays tv shows. Though it slips past the censors at times. They assume it'll make children more violent since they are not bright enough to comprehend right and wrong.
Also on a side note I think the Hey Arnold movie ended that show iirc.
And yet they don't care when parents buy their kids 'M' rated games...

See how flawed this is? You can censor it, but these kids will figure it out eventually.

~C_L~

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
And yet they don't care when parents buy their kids 'M' rated games...

See how flawed this is? You can censor it, but these kids will figure it out eventually.

~C_L~
Thats the thing. The lesser evil would be to show it on tv anyways and at least have a chance to approach the subject decently. Granted I don't believe in M rated games teaching violence. If you don't want your kid watching certain things it's very simple. Be a parent.

I really didn't grow up with cartoons from the 90's, although I liked watching Cartoon Cartoon Fridays. I think that the producers of the cartoons realize that cartoons really don't need to have plots or things that make it actually funny and entertaining for all ages, because kids will still be drawn into them if they have bright, hyper characters with a bunch of potty humor thrown in, or if they can have a profitable toy line. Even some old shows without plots were entertaining because the slapstick they had was funny (Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, etc). I wish there were more funny cartoons that didn't rely on bad jokes on TV now.

Many stations seem to save the "good stuff" for the late night slots when kids will be asleep. They think that by only showing cute, cuddly, cartoon critter shows at the times when the little kiddies are awake they will avoid complaints from parents about "What is this gorefest my little Timmy has become so addicted to on your station?" The reality is that they are also making it harder for the actual target audience of those other shows to watch it. No matter how old you are, if you can't stay awake and sleep through a show because it airs at 1:30 AM, you're not going to see any more of the "good stuff" than the little kiddies. Due to that, the guys who run the network get less viewers above age nine because they only show programs oriented for that age group during the day and the shows that are above that level are on too late to get large viewer counts.

Penguinist Trainer

Here's the problems with cartoons these days. Cartoons don't have to be funny. They're supposed to be entertaining. I grew up with Thundercats, G.I. Joe, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman, Superman, and Spiderman to name a few. This is when cartoons were good. As i grew older, the selection of cartoons got smaller and smaller. I remember watching AAH Real Monsters, Rocko, Ren and Stimpy, Hey Arnold, Doug, Cat Dog, Angry Beavers. These cartoons were good too.

I remember growing up and trying to decide which cartoon to watch. Nowadays, I'm trying to decide which cartoon I can tolerate. This is why anime is so popular. They realized cartoons are not just about stupid characters doing stupid things, cartoons are a medium which is meant to entertain the masses like any other medium be it radio, film, etc.

Xtra

You will be missed:(
I think they decided that kids don't care waht is on, as long as the TV is on, even if it's total crap. So the spend less time and money on making a quality product.

Also, soccer Moms were worried about the violence in today's cartoons, so to please them, they made the cartoons funny rather than action packed. And since kids are the main audience, they try to make it entertaining for them only.

Last edited:

Igottapoo

In my nightmares
I think they decided that kids don't care waht is on, as long as the tV is on, even if it's total crap. So the spend less time and money on making a quality product.

Also, soccer Moms were worried about the violence in today's cartoons, so to please them, they made the cartoons funny rather than action packed. And since kids are the main audience, they try to make it entertaining for themonly.
I don't find many of todays cartoons funny at all

espeon_155

Pokemon Prof.
This is why I don't watch TV anymore, due to this. I like watching the old stuff mainly like evryone else. All good things come to an end sadly, but they keep polluting television with grabage about some hyper active kid or animal, and crazy stunts. Thats basically all.

espeon_155

Pokemon Prof.
I don't either, but the kids seem to think it is.

Well, mainly five year old little girls that love Hanah Montana and the other fake High school shows. All my sibblings dont watch TV due to the fact that they hate almost everything on the tube. I agree with them I mean look at "The Mighty B" and those other lame things...

The good shows are barely hanging in there like the fairly odd parents... and some others, but eventually everything will be new and I bet most people will refuse to watch TV, lol!

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
In my opinion cartoons are becoming a dying breed.The stuff that we knew back in the day is no more...Back when violence was ok(Tom and Jerry) and you always kept laughing throughout the entire show without a minute to breathe(Loony Tunes) are just pipedreams now...Idiots think its ok just to put some crap out as long as they make a profit but it really isnt...I guess that they think that near retarded characters are funny which couldn't be further from the truth...What they need is a big slap in the face and for someone to tell them that the **** that tha call "cartoons" aren't funny.

Cap D. Blue

ボルトチェンジ
My brother and I used to watch various channels on Saturday mornings, and the only thing that we actually enjoy now is the Spectacular Spider-Man. It certainly says something, although I'm 17 and my brother's 12, so we have a different idea of what we deem "quality entertainment".

I'd have to say, that ten or fifteen years from now, kids who grow up watching these current cartoons (and I use that term loosely) will become nostalgic and condemn the newer ones.

mew801 said:
I thing Phineas and Ferb is a great show. One of the only new ones around that is actually good. I would recommend watching it.
I've seen Phineas and Ferb from time to time, and it's a diamond in the rough, so to speak. I grew up on ABC's "One Saturday Morning" (as well as Animaniacs and other Kids WB cartoons), so I like the 'toons of the 90s, with a well-found respect for Looney Toons and the like.

I recall Recess being quite popular...

Last edited:

Hyper Chibi Absol

The Dark Goddess
I've seen Phineas and Ferb from time to time, and it's a diamond in the rough, so to speak.

You serious? I hate that show. :/ But whatever... your opinion.

The only cartoon that came out recently that I could possibly like, would be Total Drama Island, but it was made for the pre teen/teen croud anyway. :/

Last edited:

mew801

In my opinion cartoons are becoming a dying breed.The stuff that we knew back in the day is no more...Back when violence was ok(Tom and Jerry) and you always kept laughing throughout the entire show without a minute to breathe(Loony Tunes) are just pipedreams now...Idiots think its ok just to put some crap out as long as they make a profit but it really isnt...I guess that they think that near retarded characters are funny which couldn't be further from the truth...What they need is a big slap in the face and for someone to tell them that the **** that tha call "cartoons" aren't funny.

Totally agree. I think parents are being way too overprotective these days. Yea there is more violence in the world and i understand them not wanting their kids being exposed to stuff like that, but really, come on, A cat chasing a mouse? I think its totally harmless. I used to love that show. One of the best around. We got to study it for a music assignment at school for the sound effects used, and i loved every minute of it. It took me back to when I was like, six, and even now i still think that it is funny.

People creating these crappy cartoon shows around these days need a wake up call. The "cartoons" they are producing are just lame and not funny at all. But to the kids who never grew up with Tom and Jerry and Looney Toons, they haven't experienced good cartoons. People who where like ages 6 - 14 in the 90's know what a good cartoon is, because that is what they grew up with.

Profesco

gone gently
Yopu know what amazed me about cartoons back in the day? That they sometimes even took the time to teach things a thing or two. Would you ever see a new age cartoon try this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5nMsXg1Lk
And they actually made it entertaining. There are many more examples of this of course. This just shows they actually thought children could think.

Oh yes, Pinky and the Brain taught things every once in a while. Moreso, Animaniacs and Hysteria! were known for their combinations of slapstick comedy and constant education. There was even an episode of Animaniacs centering on Lincoln's Gettysburg Address! If there's anything we can objectively claim is missing from contemporary cartoons, it's this penchant for intelligence and education. In my opinion, that's one of the forms of really good cartoons.

We can't look at classic Tom and Jerry and just praise the use of violence, either. It's more than cartoon violence that gives that show a good reputation; it's also the society themes therein. Tom would dress in a dapper zoot suit and swagger off to meet some coy girl cat with a Marilyn Monroe aura about her. There's a kind of awareness there that just isn't bothered with today.

Tom and Jerry isn't even at the top of the good classic list, anyway. Compared to such series as Flintstones and Scooby Doo and the like, it was fairly repetitive and unoriginal. All of these filled a niche, though. Each cartoon was unlike the others, though they may have all made generous use of slapstick, incongruence, puns, set-ups, etc. Today it's much more a cramming of fast and easy yuks into ridiculous (and ridiculously bright/wacky) environments. I'll admit, there is some thought and process to a few cartoons, but nothing like the wit and worldliness found in the most classic of all cartoons- the Looney Tunes.

(Incidentally, I was always annoyed at how much Tom lost to Jerry. Even as a child, I recognized how ridiculous that was, and always was disappointed with the awful ways Jerry miraculously beat Tom with. >_>; )

Dusk

Dawn
Well... I don't know what it's like in America, but in Australia we have Boomerang which shows all the classic shows. (The Flinstones, The Jetsons, Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo, you name it!) I, personally, watch Boomerang instead of Cartoon Network.

Gibbis

Read it,READ IT!
Poor kids:( growing up with tasteless turds- too many to list

So here what I enjoyed when i was half the height and twenty times as skinny

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrEVnrg3Ic gargolyes-saw it on a saturday mornings but don't remember much of it apart from demons with wings

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MANQnQrSztg Real monsters on nick- loved that show

Also what most kids watched-noo! not sailor moon if thats what they peered at

The Retro goggles where on and i liked this as a kid but now i'v got the opinion of the average adult when watching pokemon http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HIEAJMKJ7iE

I know videos make evidence of shows back then not trying to make a youtube tread.

The link that babylon gave us hit on to most of us about the kids opinion on cartoons

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
i have found a solution on those badass cartoons ages ago, i simply use the remote controller to switch off the TV and find the good stuff on youtube or something like that, there are more cartoons made the last 100 years then jetix nicolodeon and cartoon network aired since january 2000.

~Magic Thunderbolt~

Nostalgia still plays a big part IMO.

Although I guess the toned down violence is due to 9/11.

The reduced educational material simply illustrates that the networks don give a darn and just care about our money. Heck, I can see that locally, where the networks produce substandard shows, not just redub cartoons.