• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cartoons vs. Anime

ParaChomp

be your own guru
My like for Japanese cartoons have changed overtime. It used to be really fresh as a kid and I adored the medium while I was in my teens. Now, the majority of them either bore or disgust me. Though there aren't many, American cartoons have stuck with me however I have gained an enjoyable hobby in American comicbooks. That said, adaptations of them are usually very satisfying (stop messing up our favourite superheroes, Man of Action).

absolalone111

I will watch either dub or sub, usually sub first. I hear the best dub we've gotten thus far was Cowboy Bebop, though I heard the Baccano dub was great as well. So far, I think the best dub I've personally heard excluding the dubs of Studio Ghibli films (because those tend to be aweseom) was Azumanga Daioh.
I've never seen the dub of Cowboy Bebop, or the original (I'l get round to it at some point) I thought that thr ghibli dubs that I've seen were pretty good, although when I re-watched spirited away, all I cpould hear was Lilo from Lilo and stich speaking.

I've mostly done a bit of research the past couple of years, read up on experiences, and watched a video from I think Lanipator of TeamFourStar when he talked about voice acting tips. But I've done a bit of amateur voices myself for personal projects of my own (for school or for fun), and with a few friends. I have almost hurt my voice doing it a few times, and to help I kept a bottle in reach, and made sure to get in "character" before recording the lines and kept from screaming (only because I don't have a proper sound booth, but even the ones we have at college aren't completely soundproof depending on how loud you are).
That's actually pretty interesting, voice acting is something that I've been interested in for a while, I know this is a little off topic, but have you got any links for any specific sites that you'd recommend to someone who's interested in it, or think they should check out?

Elnava

The Successor!
I really, really dislike most western cartoons. Please note that I do live in the United States so I can only speak for the cartoons shown here. Western cartoons seem to be very shallow, locking themselves into two genres: comedy or action. Even then, within those genres few set themselves apart from the rest as being any good(Teen Titans, Adventure Time, Samurai Jack, Young Justice, etc.). Much of the western cartoon scene now are things such as The Amazing World of Gumball, an idiotic mess. Pair this with what is largely undesirable art and most cartoons are unbearable.

I realize that not all anime are golden. However, cartoons cannot touch the variety, depth, or art of anime overall. Evangelion, Code Geass, Clannad, and even the much hated SOA are far and above the vast majority of cartoons and the list keeps going. This may stem from the fact that cartoons are geared towards children while anime have much more freedom, it doesn't change my stance. This also applies to old "classic" cartoons, give me Saint Seiya(or even lucky star) over Tom & Jerry any day

Personally, I prefer Anike to the vast majority of western programs, live action or animated. I hardly ever touch my TV, only using it to watch CNN in the mornings or The Supernatural. I do however enjoy some western programming(Doctor Who, Sherlock, and The Supernatural as previously stated).

Soooo... yeah, that's about it

absolalone111

I really, really dislike most western cartoons. Please note that I do live in the United States so I can only speak for the cartoons shown here. Western cartoons seem to be very shallow, locking themselves into two genres: comedy or action. Even then, within those genres few set themselves apart from the rest as being any good(Teen Titans, Adventure Time, Samurai Jack, Young Justice, etc.). Much of the western cartoon scene now are things such as The Amazing World of Gumball, an idiotic mess. Pair this with what is largely undesirable art and most cartoons are unbearable.
Ah hell no man, a lot of western cartoons have a pretty nice art style, although a lot of them are less than steller, there's still a lot of nice looking things out there, with quirky art styles.
I realize that not all anime are golden. However, cartoons cannot touch the variety, depth,
Agree
or art of anime overall.
Disagree
give me... Saint Seiya(or even lucky star) over Tom & Jerry any day
I think I was just a little sick in my mouth. Certainly there are a lot of anime with more depth to them than Tom & Jerry, but lucky star? Really?

I do agree with the bit about how western cartoon only have two genres thing, if I try and think of a cartoon I like, 90% of the time I think of a comedy, but this doesn't make them inherantly bad. I really disagree with the idea that "the vast majority" of anime are above cartoons, there are a lot of western cartoons that have depth to them, although you may not think it. Adventure time being an example here, the episode about that cookie that wants to be a princess deals with transgenderism and LGBT rights. I mean sure, I do preffer anime to a lot of western programs, I've never been a massive fan of dramas or anything with people in, I've always preferred cartoons, but the reason I prefer anime is that I haven't really looked into western cartoons as much. Maybe there just isn't anything to look into, or maybe I just haven't tried hard enough. Going back to your comments on art, it goes both ways, you can quite easily dismis anime as "that thing where everyone has massive eyes" but there are a lot of different art styles within anime, same as with western tv. Watch adventure time, then watch billy and mandy, then watch courage the cowardly dog, then watchthe powerpuff girls, and tell me there isn't a variety in art. Although I will admit, there are a lot of frankly supurb anime out there, as a lot more effort is put into making anime look good.

S'cuse the spelling errors

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I think I was just a little sick in my mouth. Certainly there are a lot of anime with more depth to them than Tom & Jerry, but lucky star? Really?

Also, the fact that they're comparing something light-hearted and slapsticky to something with legitimate plot is kind of not fair. It'd be like comparing Family Circus to Anthem.

The Admiral

If that's what you want to call it, okay.

Still, there are a lot of things wrong with what that person has to say without even getting into how terrible Lucky Star is on a scale of 9 to 10. Then again, considering that "reference overload" seems to be popular with games...

Anyway. What I want to say is that, in this pseudo-argument, I think a lot of people think of things like Tom and Jerry when they think of Western animation -- primarily aimed nowadays at children and low in plot -- while they think of things like Madoka or Evangelion when they think of anime -- aimed at an older audience and high in plot. What about things like Futurama?

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
I realize that not all anime are golden. However, cartoons cannot touch the variety, depth, or art of anime overall.

Sure they can. Great writing and creative ideas aren't limited to one race.

the much hated SOA

I'm going to assume you're talking about SAO, or Sword Art Online.

This may stem from the fact that cartoons are geared towards children while anime have much more freedom, it doesn't change my stance.

It's not a "fact" in the slightest. There are plenty of mature cartoons out there.

Personally, I prefer Anike to the vast majority of western programs, live action or animated. I hardly ever touch my TV, only using it to watch CNN in the mornings or The Supernatural. I do however enjoy some western programming(Doctor Who, Sherlock, and The Supernatural as previously stated).

Oh man, it's like all the worst parts of Tumblr in one!

"The Supernatural" lol

I'm with Jb on this one.

Anyway, I think some of the discussion going on here is just plain dumb (and in some cases completely bigoted). It's fine to discuss and compare the differences between the two, but flat out saying one is better that the other is stupid. And you should feel bad.

I enjoy both of course, though I do find myself watching a lot more anime than anything else lately.

The Admiral

I'm going to assume you're talking about SAO, or Sword Art Online.

Was SAO "much hated"?

"The Supernatural" lol

Clearly not an actual fan. Maybe they had a few seconds of wanting to be the Iron Sheik, but realized they couldn't actually pull off a camel clutch if asked.

(and in some cases completely bigoted)

It really needs to be said again. A lot of the idea of anime being superior to "Western animation" -- which is a huge, sweeping category, compared to animation from one country -- is really ****ing racist.

I enjoy both of course, though I do find myself watching a lot more anime than anything else lately.

Well, anime does have some good series for it lately, and a lot of the good current American series have been on a backslide lately.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I thought that thr ghibli dubs that I've seen were pretty good, although when I re-watched spirited away, all I cpould hear was Lilo from Lilo and stich speaking.

Can't blame you, I hear Megura from Hercules when Lin speaks. I like Susan Egan's voice, but I don't know if she has a bigger range outside of "spunky, snarky attitude". Though I did just find out she played Mother Gothel, so I guess she does have a good enough range to avoid being "detected".

I know this is a little off topic, but have you got any links for any specific sites that you'd recommend to someone who's interested in it, or think they should check out?

I do not, sorry.

Much of the western cartoon scene now are things such as The Amazing World of Gumball, an idiotic mess.

I'm going to defend Amazing World of Gumball a tiny bit here by saying I like its art direction. It's pretty unique, and it's really the only reason I'll stick around to watch it if my brothers are playing it. The writing is okay in some parts, but otherwise, I just don't like the characters and the humor. My dad will laugh at anything, so he apparently is okay with the show, though Mom did ask if it was really a kids' show. Why she hadn't gotten rid of the DVD(s) yet is beyond me, but she refuses to buy more of them.

So yeah, the art and animation is really the only good thing about Amazing World of Gumball, everything else just sucks eggs.

matt0044

Can't blame you, I hear Megura from Hercules when Lin speaks. I like Susan Egan's voice, but I don't know if she has a bigger range outside of "spunky, snarky attitude". Though I did just find out she played Mother Gothel, so I guess she does have a good enough range to avoid being "detected".

I'm not too bothered by this sort of thing. If the shoe fits, wear it, I say. Plus, it's not like Japanese Voice Actors are immune to this sort of thing (some just tend to not know the VAs name or other roles well enough). And when it's not that, it's a certain type of voice being overused (like a cute girl's voice).

absolalone111

Also, the fact that they're comparing something light-hearted and slapsticky to something with legitimate plot is kind of not fair. It'd be like comparing Family Circus to Anthem.
I wouldn't exactly say lucky star had plot
Well, if you're knowledgeable about anime and all the related things, then Lucky Star is actually pretty in-depth content wise.
I see what you mean sorta
This
Was SAO "much hated"?
Oh yeah, it was hated a lot, it was looked down upon by many. While it was airing it got so much hate.
It really needs to be said again. A lot of the idea of anime being superior to "Western animation" -- which is a huge, sweeping category, compared to animation from one country -- is really ****ing racist.
I wouldn't call it racist, just dumb, although racism is dumb.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm not too bothered by this sort of thing. If the shoe fits, wear it, I say. Plus, it's not like Japanese Voice Actors are immune to this sort of thing (some just tend to not know the VAs name or other roles well enough). And when it's not that, it's a certain type of voice being overused (like a cute girl's voice).

It kinda bothers me personally depending on the character (in some cases, I'm proud of myself for recognizing them), though it's not jarring like say Gilbert Gottfried who apparently only has one voice. It just honestly ruins the illusion of characters for me in some cases when I can only see them as one other character they've portrayed, both in animation and live action. Like for Princess Mononoke, Gillian Anderson plays Moro the Wolf Goddess, yet you have to really be listening for her to notice, though for me, once I figured it out, I could not stop seeing Agent Scully in her--but it works, and I'm not bothered by it.

And I'm aware Japanese voice actors can have the same issue, I've recognized voices here and there, but I think for the most part, they're just cast into the roles so well, I don't really notice, nor care because I don't speak the language nor know the voice actor/actress. It's only when the casting is so out-of-place that it gets bothersome, and lots of dubs/shows have been ruined for some people because of it--but that's all personal speculation, and I haven't really experienced that myself yet.

matt0044

A lot of cartoons seem to put a lot into one episode. Avatar/Korra shows this and whether you think it's "rushed" or not, I like how it doesn't beat around the bush like DBZ or Naruto. It even allows for some subtleties that aren't exactly recognize on the first viewer.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Was SAO "much hated"?

Yeah. Not as much around here but in other places, oh boy.

Clearly not an actual fan. Maybe they had a few seconds of wanting to be the Iron Sheik, but realized they couldn't actually pull off a camel clutch if asked.

Wait, what? I am so confused by this. I tried Google and found that Iron Sheik is a wrestler?

I wouldn't call it racist, just dumb, although racism is dumb.

I would.

A lot of cartoons seem to put a lot into one episode. Avatar/Korra shows this and whether you think it's "rushed" or not, I like how it doesn't beat around the bush like DBZ or Naruto. It even allows for some subtleties that aren't exactly recognize on the first viewer.

There's a huge difference between something that's an original animation production and something based off a long-running shounen manga. You should already know why.

The Admiral

I wouldn't exactly say lucky star had plot

Yeah, okay, but you get my basic idea. I'm referring more to the Saint Seiya comparison.

Wait, what? I am so confused by this. I tried Google and found that Iron Sheik is a wrestler?

Yes (hence the "camel clutch" line, one of the moves he's known for performing). He has a habit of affixing "the" to the beginning of a lot of nouns while speaking as part of his persona.

Last edited:

matt0044

There's a huge difference between something that's an original animation production and something based off a long-running shounen manga. You should already know why.

Even so, you'd think the producers would have more patience and start much later on.

Okay, maybe it wasn't the best example but a lot of other Anime (Manga derived or not) seem to have slow pacing for better or worse. But I'd rather not generalize.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Even so, you'd think the producers would have more patience and start much later on.

Okay, maybe it wasn't the best example but a lot of other Anime (Manga derived or not) seem to have slow pacing for better or worse. But I'd rather not generalize.

A lot of my favourites or even just ones that I like need to have a good pace to them. Cover content quickly so it doesn't get boring y'know? But then there's some like Kaiji the progress reeeeally slowly but it's all for the sake of tension and I love it to death. Or just a relaxed slice of life show with very little plot like Hidamari Sketch.

matt0044

A lot of my favourites or even just ones that I like need to have a good pace to them. Cover content quickly so it doesn't get boring y'know? But then there's some like Kaiji the progress reeeeally slowly but it's all for the sake of tension and I love it to death.

Yeah, I admit that slow pacing isn't bad inherently (minus certain cases of Arc Fatigue) though neither is the opposite.

Born Better

God of Lightning
Current Cartoons<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Anime with very VERY few exceptions

Early 2000s cartoons=Anime

90s Cartoons>Anime

I wonder if the person who made this was aware that we're on a forum partly dedicated to an anime series.