• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cartoons vs. Anime

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Yeah, asking for rational expression of opinions in hardcore fanboy territory may not have been one of OP's best ideas.

The Admiral

I take it you haven't read the thread, then? There's bias all over this. Not with regard to Pokemon, but there is a lot of bias.

I don't blame you if you didn't, though.

matt0044

I wonder if the person who made this was aware that we're on a forum partly dedicated to an anime series.

I did. But it was hard to decide between the Entertainment and Alter. Anime sections.

Yeah, asking for rational expression of opinions in hardcore fanboy territory may not have been one of OP's best ideas.

True but Serebii tends to have people better than that.

Vernikova

Champion
Depends on the show. The Japanese should tone down their fanservice though. It's painful to see.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Honestly, with these last two seasons of anime, the fanservice has been lacking. At least, that's what it seems like. There haven't been many ecchi shows lately.

Elnava

The Successor!
Current Cartoons<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Anime with very VERY few exceptions

Agree

Early 2000s cartoons=Anime

sort of agree

90s Cartoons>Anime

No just... no

Elnava

The Successor!
Not understanding how declaring that one form of animation is superior to another is a racist idea at all

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I don't know.

To me, Anime indicates a particular visual style used and developed in Japan; western animation could be anything from Mel-O-Tunes to The Thief and The Cobbler to Disney to the Fleischer Bros.

I might like Anime better than Filmation's work, but I can't say that it's better than everything the west has to offer.

matt0044

Honestly, with these last two seasons of anime, the fanservice has been lacking. At least, that's what it seems like. There haven't been many ecchi shows lately.

Honestly, fanservice (when obligatory as hell) tends to get in the way in immersing yourself in the Anime's story. That's a point I'll give to cartoons.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Not understanding how declaring that one form of animation is superior to another is a racist idea at all

"a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"

Elnava

The Successor!
Fan service can be pretty funny but a little overbearing at times

inb4 everyone writes off my opinion because "he likes anime better then cartoons, he's just an ignorant weeaboo(hate that term) fanboy karp karp karp"

The Admiral

Depends on the show. The Japanese should tone down their fanservice though. It's painful to see.

Honestly, fanservice (when obligatory as hell) tends to get in the way in immersing yourself in the Anime's story. That's a point I'll give to cartoons.

It gets in the way of a lot of things that could be really good... cf. episode 1 of Maoyuu at least. There's some dense metafictional content, but the fanservice is extremely overbearing.

It depends on the show. If that's the point of the show, obviously it needs to be there, but many times it just becomes annoying and detracts from any interesting content.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy

Fanservice can also make shows just terrible, just like Eiken.

inb4 everyone writes off my opinion because "he likes anime better then cartoons, he's just an ignorant weeaboo(hate that term) fanboy karp karp karp"

You can't be a weeaboo just by liking anime, the sooner the majority of the internet learns this, the better.

The Admiral

You can't be a weeaboo just by liking anime, the sooner the majority of the internet learns this, the better.

Yeah, this isn't Something Awful.

Being a weeaboo basically means you're a racist, and goes deeper than "you like anime."

And for reference, just liking anime doesn't make you a racist.

Last edited: