• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cartoons vs. Anime

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Anime refers to the country or origin, Japan. It's no different from saying French animation is superior to Western animation.
Okay, what are the slang terms for those? Les dessins animé? Je suis comique, non?

Jb

Tsun in the streets
It gets in the way of a lot of things that could be really good... cf. episode 1 of Maoyuu at least. There's some dense metafictional content, but the fanservice is extremely overbearing.

That fanservice was literally like 14.5 seconds out of 23mins of animation.

Fan service can be pretty funny but a little overbearing at times

inb4 everyone writes off my opinion because "he likes anime better then cartoons, he's just an ignorant weeaboo(hate that term) fanboy karp karp karp"
Why would anyone do this.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy

Elnava

The Successor!
Fanservice can also make shows just terrible, just like Eiken.

You can't be a weeaboo just by liking anime, the sooner the majority of the internet learns this, the better.

Eiken is just ridiculously stupid. It's 100% fan service

Thank you

Anime refers to the country or origin, Japan. It's no different from saying French animation is superior to Western animation.

Yes, however that does not imply race, simply that Anime is a superior form of animation. Strawman once again

Last edited by a moderator:

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
Yes, however that does not imply race, simply that Anime is a superior form of animation. Strawman once again

If your opinion was that it's better purely because its anime, than I could see how that's racial, that's basically saying it's better because it's Japanese.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
That fanservice was literally like 14.5 seconds out of 23mins of animation.

No it isn't. I'm not going to argue with you over this, because it's not on-topic. However, it's still lengthy, overbearing, obtrusive and pointless.

Even if it weren't lengthy and overbearing, it would be obtrusive and pointless.

Elnava

The Successor!
If your opinion was that it's better purely because its anime, than I could see how that's racial, that's basically saying it's better because it's Japanese.

My opinion is that anime as a whole > cartoons overall. I realize that not all anime is great an there are bad anime series as well as the fact that there are cartoons out there that are quite good. I said this in my first statement

Korea makes some pretty good anime too, ya know

To be fair, there are also plenty of pointless things in cartoons as well

Last edited:

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Korea makes some pretty good anime too, ya know
Slang not style, the fanboys be raging!

Okay, change of topic. Original movies based off of Japanese comics like Naruto (for the sake of an example), why do they get a good amount of negative reception while this is not so much the case with original movies based off of American comics?

Jb

Tsun in the streets
No it isn't. I'm not going to argue with you over this, because it's not on-topic. However, it's still lengthy, overbearing, obtrusive and pointless.

Even if it weren't lengthy and overbearing, it would be obtrusive and pointless.

Nah, you're right. It's around 24 seconds. Some dude on MAL did the math.
Criteria
-Any SEGMENTS, that focuses on the obnoxious jiggling/movement of the breasts for over than 1 second is counted as fanservice
-Cleavage Area Close up that's under 1 second is not counted for
-Breast Movement that was caused naturally by character movement is not counted for

Results:
"SEGMENTS" = Time = Total Duration
1st = 3.45 - 3.50 = 5 secs
2nd = 4.33 - 4.34 = 1 sec
3rd = 15.24 - 15.26 = 2 secs
4th = 15.28 - 15.30 = 2 secs
5th = 18.24 - 18.32 = 8 secs

In total
5 Segments that only took 24 seconds of the whole episode....
I disagree on it being obtrusive and pointless as well. It was in the original source, and sets up the "useless meat" jokes in the series. Which is development for Maou and Hero's relationship. It's also pretty much nonexistence after the second episode.

I'm not necessarily trying to argue the anime, just that fanservice doesn't take away from the stories as much as people claim. Most of the time, the story was bad to being with. Like School Days.

Also...

Megas XLR is the perfect example of a cartoon being being better than it's anime counterpart. Hell, it's better than just about any mecha anime.

@Para: In Naruto's case, it's because it sucks ****.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
Original movies based off of Japanese comics like Naruto (for the sake of an example), why do they get a good amount of negative reception while this is not so much the case with original movies based off of American comics?

Naruto anime is just bad, the movies are no exception. Something like Gintama, however had a great movie, the One Piece movies were fairly well received as well, going outside the shounen scene, K-ON's movie had a great reception.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
@Para: In Naruto's case, it's because it sucks ****.
I know that, just using it for the sake of an example.

Naruto anime is just bad, the movies are no exception. Something like Gintama, however had a great movie, the One Piece movies were fairly well received as well, going outside the shounen scene, K-ON's movie had a great reception.
Mmm...guess I need to get outside more?

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
SAO is hated by the vocal minority, you just have to look at things like it's average ratings on most anime sites, and the sales it generates to see that.

I did some research on some popular anime rankings and it seems you're right. It's nothing chart-topping in rank but it's not low either. From what I've seen on internet forums there was a strong discontent with the series so I assumed that was the majority.

You keep calling strawman while I'm directly rebutting your point, only use that term if you know what it means. Anime means it's from Japan. Anime is Japanese. Saying anime is superior is saying that the Japanese are superior at animation. Saying one race is superior to another is racist. I don't know how to make this more clear.

Elnava

The Successor!
Slang not style, the fanboys be raging!

Okay, change of topic. Original movies based off of Japanese comics like Naruto (for the sake of an example), why do they get a good amount of negative reception while this is not so much the case with original movies based off of American comics?

Do you mean the live action anime movies like Dragon Ball evolution? Cuz they SUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I did some research on some popular anime rankings and it seems you're right. It's nothing chart-topping in rank but it's not low either. From what I've seen on internet forums there was a strong discontent with the series so I assumed that was the majority.

I haven't really seen any hate for it up until maybe the ending. That seems to be a common thing -- that the endings of anime series just don't live up to expectations lately.

Elnava

The Successor!

You keep calling strawman while I'm directly rebutting your point, only use that term if you know what it means. Anime means it's from Japan. Anime is Japanese. Saying anime is superior is saying that the Japanese are superior at animation. Saying one race is superior to another is racist. I don't know how to make this more clear.

Did you not read my last post? I'm not saying it's better because its anime I'm saying that anime is overall better than cartoons because of the quality. Anime is also not solely Japanese.

If you want to keep pestering me on my opinions then yes, the majority if Japanese animation is so vastly superior to western animation that cartoons pale in comparison. If you want to call that racist it's fine by me, I'm racist against myself, you want a cookie?

Every country has done something better than another at something. This isn't racism

Off my f*king case

...scroll up...

Oh, well then...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jb

Tsun in the streets

I think this has two sides. If he says anime if better just because it's from Japan, then yes, I guess it's racist. But if he simply thinks it's better just because. Then it's more of preference. It's just like the WRPG vs JRPG arguments. I'm sure neither side is racist, they just have a preference that the majority of one side fits.