• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

CA's Eeveelution Lair

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
Hey peeps, I've been trying to sprite some fake eeveelutions lately. So far I have this guy, he's my second scratch sprite I've ever done:

tumblr_lxd5d5erGs1qhx4uoo1_100.png

I referenced heavily from the other eeveelutions, but it is still 100% scratch. I wish to get it up to a standard that it would not look out of place in a game. Comments and constructive crit?

www500

WWW500
Overall, for your second scratch sprite, I think this is pretty good. I think, especially in the head, you've accurately captured the essence of an Eeveelution. Also, I do like the concept!

However, there are several things you can improve. The biggest problem, imo, is that the sprite is almost a profile. I see the head is almost turned toward us, but besides that, the body isn't. Looking at the official Eeveelutions, notice how they all have a 3-D perspective (that might be the wrong terminology--sorry!). Also, there are only two visible legs. Looking at the official Vaporeon, even though it's sitting, you can still see both front legs. I think that if you find a way to incorporate another front leg, by either repositioning it's front half or something, then you would also add that necessary perspective. I think you could also improve the hind leg by making it slightly thinner at the ankle.

Finally, I really like the concept of the blue flames running down the Eeveelution's back. They're very characteristic of the Dragon type, but I feel you could exaggerate them more by making them bigger and give them more random forms. For example, look at Moltres's sprite--I think the flames on it's wings aren't huge, but they still accurately represent fire on a more reserved scale.

Overall, this sprite is very good, especially considering this is only your second scratched sprite. I know I said it earlier, but I really think the face is excellent.

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
Overall, for your second scratch sprite, I think this is pretty good. I think, especially in the head, you've accurately captured the essence of an Eeveelution. Also, I do like the concept!

However, there are several things you can improve. The biggest problem, imo, is that the sprite is almost a profile. I see the head is almost turned toward us, but besides that, the body isn't. Looking at the official Eeveelutions, notice how they all have a 3-D perspective (that might be the wrong terminology--sorry!). Also, there are only two visible legs. Looking at the official Vaporeon, even though it's sitting, you can still see both front legs. I think that if you find a way to incorporate another front leg, by either repositioning it's front half or something, then you would also add that necessary perspective. I think you could also improve the hind leg by making it slightly thinner at the ankle.

Finally, I really like the concept of the blue flames running down the Eeveelution's back. They're very characteristic of the Dragon type, but I feel you could exaggerate them more by making them bigger and give them more random forms. For example, look at Moltres's sprite--I think the flames on it's wings aren't huge, but they still accurately represent fire on a more reserved scale.

Overall, this sprite is very good, especially considering this is only your second scratched sprite. I know I said it earlier, but I really think the face is excellent.

First of all, thanks so much for the C+C! Glad the face turned out well; that took alot of fiddling around with. I will certainly try and get the sprite more "3D looking" - that's probably the main thing that's off about it, I agree. That back leg was also bothering me, but I couldn't place what was wrong, so thanks for that!

Oh and also, the blue flames aren't actually flames - it's actually a blue mane, like the kind you see on oriental style dragons. I can see why you'd think it's fire though; I might try darkening the highlights a bit.

EDIT: How does this look?

tumblr_lxdctykpZJ1qgv3gv.png
tumblr_lxddymPycf1qgv3gv.png

Last edited:

Bert

Untitled
Considering you're a beginner I must say this is stunningly okay-ish as a scratch sprite. Aside from what WWW500 said - and I do agree with him on a variety of things - I think the tail also has some positioning problems. You obviously tried to make it look 3D but right now it's like it's twisted and your sprite is floating above it. Imho you'd do well to repose the body entirely in a more natural, somewhat dramatic sort of way, like it's moving. Aside from that if you want to make your back-thing look like a mane instead of fire I suggest adding some black outline and generally not give it that fiery shape but go for a more wooly, slightly smoother shape.

It's not all bad news, though. The head looks really Eeveelution-ish, kinda resembling Umbreon's and the general idea appeals to me. The yellow things on its head seem weird, though, and I can't quite point out what they are, but I think they also need black outline. The overall shading of the body isn't done too well either, but I think reposing the entire sprite could help deal with it as you'd have to redo the shading anyway. The highlight near it's hind leg especially bugs me, I'd have placed it ON the hind leg. The darker shade on it also isn't rounded enough and doesn't seem to consider the anatomy.

To sum it up, you pretty much have two options here:

- Leave it be, you did an okay job, and start working on other stuff to get general practice.
OR
- Start working your arse off and turn this sprite into what you had in mind. Giving it a slightly more dynamic pose, redoing the shading, smoothening the manes and touching up on the outline is probably a lot of work, but it could pay off if you do it right.

Good luck!

Last edited:

www500

WWW500
EDIT: How does this look?

I think the front half looks a lot better! I still think you could play with the perspective a little more though. Maybe you could do something with the back half like so--http://www.countrystiles.co.uk/contents/media/jackson.jpg. This is my suggestion, so if you don't like it, don't worry about it. I understand. Hey, I might even be wrong about it. This would also fix the tail problem Bert pointed out.

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
Lol haha ok, I think I'll just drop the spriting thing completely and find someone else to sprite my eeveelutions for me. I've spent the past 5 years looking for someone to sprite and make sugi art of them, but I can't find anyone so I thought I might as well try myself. But no way in hell am I skilled enough to repose the entire sprite. Guess I'll just keep trawling the internet looking for people who will do requests and cheap commissions. Thanks for the imput everyone.

Last edited: