• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Case Adjourned No Longer: The Legend of Zelda... is it really rubbish?

Frenchy

A whole speech isn't necessary, 'k?

And I think your post sums up the point that I wanted to make next. Well, yes, Twilight Princess had it's bad points (easiness, the first ever Zelda game I found truly easy... even the Wind Waker was harder but occasionally for the wrong reasons, or the murky brown colours that are overly prevalent) BUT that isn't worth the virulent hate that it constantly recieves.

I think the fact that Twilight Princess is so similar to Ocarina of Time is a real big giveaway in the ongoing saga of Zelda. Twilight Princess had the potential to be so much but the fans wanted an Ocarina of Time 2 and that, well frankly, that cocked things up a little bit. There were moments in Twilight Princess that were sheer genius and Miyamoto, Aonuma et al really should have been braver and made the leap to making those moments the focus.

The Legend of Zelda series has the oppurtunity to be a very cinematic game. I'm not saying style over substance, I'm saying style and substance. The Mario games are all about the gameplay and the wacky yet wonderful moments that the gameplay therefore provides. But Zelda could and should have awesome storylines to go along with the gameplay. If that's not what Miyamoto wants then fine but I think Zelda has got to the stage that storyline can really be a commodity.

I know I've just said don't listen to the fans but bare with me a second. Note my aforementioned sheer genius moments in Twilight Princess coment. What are these moments? Well I think that they're the moments that combined story and the gameplay together. That bit where you're protecting the wagon with the Zora child across Hyrule was wonderful as it incorporated 4 (or was it 5?) interesting characters in one scene. Or what about that bit with Midna's Theme where you're rushing to save Midna in any way you can... that was a beautiful gameplay AND storyline moment.

These little moments give me hope for Zelda, and I think the overall problem storyline-wise is the overall picture. Sure the timeline is now disparaged beyond repair but each individual game ultimately disappoints... we were promised that Ganondorf was going to have a very cool storyline in Twilight Princess but he ended up just being a bigger tough guy than usual (a GOD in a Twilight Realm? Hmm...) Similarly, in Phantom Hourglass the bad dude at the end disappointed as well as the *yawn* twist... BUT that seen with Linebeck and the destroyed ghost ship... well, it gave me goosebumps.

I'll be returning with a better constructed post regarding where the Zelda series could go. But for now, what do you think?

You are right with how LOZ could be so much more then it is. Mabye we'll get it with the next one when it comes out in a few years.

Smile Guy

Keep Smiling...
You are right with how LOZ could be so much more then it is. Mabye we'll get it with the next one when it comes out in a few years.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Legend of Zelda series has very rarely failed to undeliver.

I just think Twilight Princess was the right time to move on... and it didn't move on, if that makes sense. It was just too similar to Ocarina of Time and therefore people carried on having their fond memories of Ocarina of Time and no fond memories of Twilight Princess... hence the hate I guess.

Phantom Hourglass on the other hand felt revolutionary... while, yes, it was easy, the style of play was like Zelda games of yore but had a faster, more driven, feel to it. Hopefully the next game on Wii will use the Wii controller to similar effect as the DS used the stylus -- but then the problem is that the fans will complain about it being too different, or will they?

Frenchy

Don't get me wrong, I think the Legend of Zelda series has very rarely failed to undeliver.

I just think Twilight Princess was the right time to move on... and it didn't move on, if that makes sense. It was just too similar to Ocarina of Time and therefore people carried on having their fond memories of Ocarina of Time and no fond memories of Twilight Princess... hence the hate I guess.

Phantom Hourglass on the other hand felt revolutionary... while, yes, it was easy, the style of play was like Zelda games of yore but had a faster, more driven, feel to it. Hopefully the next game on Wii will use the Wii controller to similar effect as the DS used the stylus -- but then the problem is that the fans will complain about it being too different, or will they?

I agree with you but I think Phantom Hour Glass wasn't that good it was ok, but I stopped playin around the Second or third Dungeon. It was a good game but it didnt give me the excitment or drive to finish it like the other ones did.

Sir Devious

Sir Devious
I think the Zelda game series is just fine, and I like how TP reminded me a lot of OoT. =]

Also, you spelled Chihuahua* wrong in your first post.

fhqwhgads

You talk about What a bad game it is and how its a basically a remake of Oot but in your post you want a story about the temple of time. If they put the temple of time in there then they might as well put everything from Oot and name it Oot.
Someone hasn't played TP.
TP was a great game.
We've gone through this.
If you don't believe me look at the reviews. Game Informer gave it game of the year, X-play named it number 4 of greatest games they reviewed.
And most fans hated it. omg liek revews rnt evrythin!/?1
Me personally I like every Zelda game I've played which is everyone on a Console except Majoras Mask. I don't think they need to change the game entirerly, but I would like to see more epic battles then going into a dungeon. Like Link taking Hyrules army into a battle against Ganandofs army.
Objection! Besides your horrendous murdering of the word Ganondorf, Hyrule has no army. It has what seems to be a small militia of soldiers in and around Hyrule Castle and the surrounding town.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
A whole speech isn't necessary, 'k?

o.0 okay...
I agree with your post 100% though.

Did anyone else feel that the realistic style of TP was trying to compensate for not being... as graphically inclined as the other systems? Seeing how it was near the "next-gen" and all. Or it could have just been coincidence.

Bulk

I'd like to see some serious time travel in a Zelda game. Starts off as a normal Zelda and thenLink gets warped to the future where everthing is the same but Sc-Fi style. Give him a lazer sword and a blaster and make Epona a hover bike. I remember seeing a fake a while ago that said the next Zelda would be in the future and it was just emmence.

Oh, and can we PLEASE have a new final boss. Ganondorf is good and all but a brand new one would be ssssooo much more fun... Ok, here's my idea.

Set after Twilight Princess, Ganondorf is dead and a statue has been erected where he died so no one will ever forget the horror he put people through. Link then goes about his normal life but gets bored of this and so goes looking for an adventure. Alice in Wonderland style, he tumbles down a "rabbit hole" and ends up in the future. There he fights evil both in the future and in the past. I think it'd be bloody good.

fhqwhgads

I'd like to see some serious time travel in a Zelda game. Starts off as a normal Zelda and thenLink gets warped to the future where everthing is the same but Sc-Fi style. Give him a lazer sword and a blaster and make Epona a hover bike. I remember seeing a fake a while ago that said the next Zelda would be in the future and it was just emmence.
That would suck so much.
Oh, and can we PLEASE have a new final boss. Ganondorf is good and all but a brand new one would be ssssooo much more fun...
Dark Link, Nightmares, Majora's Mask, Veran, Onox, Vaati, and the one Phantom Hourglass boss(can't remember names of that game so well).

Last edited:

PDL

disenchanted
Dark Link, Nightmares, Majora's Mask, Veran, Onox, Vaati, and the one Phantom Hourglass boss(can't remember names of that game so well).

Bellum.

Anyway, I think Twilight Princess (and the spinoff, Link's Crossbow Training) will probably be the last time the Zelda franchise will use the "Realistic" artstyle. It usually stays with a certain artstyle for a certain number of years, This is off course due to the console's graphics.

Set after Twilight Princess, Ganondorf is dead and a statue has been erected where he died so no one will ever forget the horror he put people through. Link then goes about his normal life but gets bored of this and so goes looking for an adventure. Alice in Wonderland style, he tumbles down a "rabbit hole" and ends up in the future. There he fights evil both in the future and in the past. I think it'd be bloody good.

I'm pretty sure that's the premises for Majora's Mask IIRC.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
I'm pretty sure that's the premises for Majora's Mask IIRC.
Majora's Mask: Link falls down a "rabbit hole" to end up in a surreal world where he battles an apocolyptic evil by manipulating a time warp.

So, yeah. That's actually pretty close. Bulk, go play that game because it's awesome.

mrhiyuck

curious
Zelda is fine in my opinion. I'm a guy who has only really played the 3D Zelda's but I'm a fan of them all. I like Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker a lot: they were my first and gave me the thought that these games were immortal. I played Twilight Princess afterward. Now I think people are too hard on it. I liked some of the gameplay, items, and music. There was something that felt lacking but I still enjoyed it.

One controversial game doesn't mean the series is going downhill, it means some of the fans are.

Bulk

Yes... and they were so much better and more fun.

jellsprout

God no. Don't make the same mistake Final Fantasy did. The series became much worse when it suddenly turned futuristic.

Silverwing

Sea Ruby Trainer
Zelda's not diminishing. The way I see it, Nintendo tried to appeal to more people, and it didn't work. They tried to appeal to a more western audience and it failed. Its not to say that TP was a bad game, its just not what people were looking for in a Zelda game. Me personaly, thought that the game was lacking the "Zelda" feel, that was with OoT and WW, nor did it have a completely different take on it, like MM did. I felt the game was kind of generic. What they did with WW was sheer brillance, and while I think they took a step behind with TP, sometimes you need to take a step back to go forward.

I think though that Nintendo should stray away from Ganondorf for awhile. I have no ill will toward him, I just feel that he is pretty fleshed out, and they could take another enemy from the Zelda universe and give them more backstory. I would love a prequel to MM. I think that Majora is a boss that deserves to have a little more story behind him, than just a sadistic manipulator of people.

I do agree though that people are to hard on TP. But some of these people just like to find something to complain about. It's hard to find people who will find the good in something and praise it. Most find it easier to find the bad and criticize it.

I think though that Nintendo should stray away from Ganondorf for awhile. I have no ill will toward him, I just feel that he is pretty fleshed out, and they could take another enemy from the Zelda universe and give them more backstory. I would love a prequel to MM. I think that Majora is a boss that deserves to have a little more story behind him, than just a sadistic manipulator of people.

I would like to see a backround for dark link. But didn't they already gave the skull kid a backround. He took the majora's mask from the mask salesman and the dark mask corrupted him. Then there was some story about the mask itself that I forgot.

Anyway I thought that Twilight Princess was similar to OoT, but I liked it seeing as that game is the one that brought me into the series. I would like to see a new concept to a wii Zelda. But I wouldn't complain If they made another similar one. How about a sequal to Tp with backstory on the twilight relm. It could have a new concept like how mm was a sequal of Oot with the new time limit.

PDL

disenchanted
I would like to see a backround for dark link. But didn't they already gave the skull kid a backround. He took the majora's mask from the mask salesman and the dark mask corrupted him. Then there was some story about the mask itself that I forgot.

I thought they expanded on Dark Link for the Four Sword Adventures game. But I wouldn't want a mysterious character being given a "Shadow the Hedgehog" treatment. He should remain a strange mysterious unreadible character who's up for interpretation by anybody.

Anyway I thought that Twilight Princess was similar to OoT, but I liked it seeing as that game is the one that brought me into the series. I would like to see a new concept to a wii Zelda. But I wouldn't complain If they made another similar one. How about a sequal to Tp with backstory on the twilight relm. It could have a new concept like how mm was a sequal of Oot with the new time limit.

Majora's Mask may be thought of as a sequel to Ocarina of Time, but I felt it was very disconnected from it. (Which is actually a good thing since you didn't need to play Ocarina of Time to understand Majora's Mask.)

I also wouldn't want the next Zelda game to deal with the Twilight Realm once more, but I wouldn't mind a "side story" game in the same vein as Link's Awakening, Phantom Hourglass or Majora's Mask. Those always turn out to be the most intruging games for me at least, it strays from the same old Triforce/Master Sword/Ganondorf saga that most of the games usually play.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
But I wouldn't want a mysterious character being given a "Shadow the Hedgehog" treatment. He should remain a strange mysterious unreadible character who's up for interpretation by anybody.

They came close to giving Tingle that treatment, I don't know if the game is any good or not though.

Those always turn out to be the most intruging games for me at least, it strays from the same old Triforce/Master Sword/Ganondorf saga that most of the games usually play.

I agree that those games are good but for some reason I like the "main saga games" just as much. I know it's generic, but the whole Triforce and "Power of the Gods" appeals epic to me for some reason. I would like to see a "main saga" game with more encounters with Ganon/dorf instead of him being a final boss that's... well, mandatory. The "side story" games are awesome though.