• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Casting a Paul on Barry (652)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Sinnoh League Third Round! Barry VS Paul!

It's the next round of the Pokémon League and Barry discovers that he is about to challenge Paul, his former idol. With both trainers having incredibly strong Pokémon, the battle is going to be tense. Who will emerge victorious? Meanwhile, Ash discovers that his next battle is against Conway, the trainer he befriended in the Tag Battles.

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Looks like the second round has been skipped (Snorlax was used)

Wow. 3-0. Can't believe it.

Last edited:
So Barry used Skarmory as his first Pokemon while Paul used Magmortar.
Then Paul used Ursaring which got hurt by Skarmory's spike while Barry was using Empoleon.
Barry switched for Hitmonlee.

Barry's Electivire has learned Giga Impact.

Empoleon seems to have got really hurt by Electivire's Thunder.
Paul wins.
Barry is impressed by Paul's battling skiils and gives him a thumps up.
Conway tells that Ash's next match is against him.

Last edited:

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
So, the battle between Paul & Barry is going like this,

- Magmortar Vs Skarmory (Skarmory is defeated)
- Magmortar Vs Empoleon (Magmortar gets called back)
- Ursaring Vs Empoleon (Empoleon gets called back)
- Ursaring Vs Hitmonlee (Hitmonlee gets defeated)
- Ursaring Vs Empoleon (Ursaring gets called back)
- Electivire Vs Empoleon (Empoleon gets defeated)

So the end results is Paul defeated Barry "3 to 0".

Last edited:

TeddiUrsa

- Kabigon got a battle against a Boopig at the beginning. Stompedy-stomp.

- Jun's gimmick of running into everyone never gets old ^^

- Jun praises Shinji and everyone ( including Kohei) seems to disagree with him, I think

- Nyarth is holding a Maneki Neko its based on? Time paradox!

- Shinji is doing some serious research about Jun's team. Of course he looks up just Impoleon. :p

- Mechanic-changing-floor is creepy...

( - Wii Party still looks like Mario Party without the nostalgic Mario-factor...)

- One-hit kill from Booburn. What is Jun doing? o_O

- Jun is suprised by the concept of "recalling"? xD

- Kicklee sure knows how to pose!

- Ursaring really is a ****ing beast! o_O Well, that's my older brother as I know him!

- Seriously...Why won't the bear go down already?!

- Impoleon's ability just kicked in. But it is too late for Jun....

- Jun got raped...Impoleon went "down" like a true hero though.

- TR league-merchandise ftw!

- Shinji actually was nice to Jun for a change and said that it was a good battle! ^^

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
In a way I had a feeling this was going to happen, Barry's overusage of empoleon came back to haunt him in the worst way.

Of course there's also the fact that he took the cheap way out with the sunnyshore gym as well, karma has a nice way of getting revenge sometimes when you don't do the right things.

pokefandt

Wait 3 to zero are you serious?!?

I was hoping for Barry to take at least one of Pauls pokemon down. But considering, Ursaring, Electivire and Magmortar are three of Pauls toughest guys,its not to surprising.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
- Kabigon got a battle against a Boopig at the beginning. Stompedy-stomp.

- Jun's gimmick of running into everyone never gets old ^^

- Jun praises Shinji and everyone ( including Kohei) seems to disagree with him, I think

- Nyarth is holding a Maneki Neko its based on? Time paradox!

- Shinji is doing some serious research about Jun's team. Of course he looks up just Impoleon. :p

- Mechanic-changing-floor is creepy...

( - Wii Party still looks like Mario Party without the nostalgic Mario-factor...)

- One-hit kill from Booburn. What is Jun doing? o_O

- Jun is suprised by the concept of "recalling"? xD

- Kicklee sure knows how to pose!

- Ursaring really is a ****ing beast! o_O Well, that's my older brother as I know him!

- Seriously...Why won't the bear go down already?!

- Impoleon's ability just kicked in. But it is too late for Jun....

- Jun got raped...Impoleon went "down" like a true hero though.

- TR league-merchandise ftw!

- Shinji actually was nice to Jun for a change and said that it was a good battle! ^^

Lol how you went out of your way and used every Japanese name and then fail over Empoleon's Japanese name... It's not Impoleon, it's Emperte... I guess you skipped Ursaring's Japanese name since you're into that line :p

Hmmm... About the episode, lets hope that this means that Snorlax is done for the league! :D I've personally seen that thing enough already, we know what it's capable of doing.

LOL! 3-0! And people were so adamant that Barry would do a better job against Paul then Ash, because he 'knows' Paul's strategies.. Heck, him being surprised that Paul switches often is proof that that isn't the case at all. Guess that bites how he was set up to be a rival, but didn't matter in the end, so similar to Nando! xD They were both used just to set the main rival up..

Sparklingwater

This make's Ash's battle with Paul later on more even more anticipating, difficult, and meaningful.

So far, in all of Ash's battle in all pokemon series, the 4 v 4 battle Ash won against Bradon was by far the best, because not only Ash use his best pokemon, but he also summon up so much of there will power and determination.

Paul's 6 v 6 battle with Ash will be much better, because not only Paul beat Ash 6-2, but is now strong enough to beat one of Ash's strongest rival 3-0.

Grassmen

Novice Breeder
Really, the fact that it was a 3-0 win seems, in my opinion, not that important. Barry put up a pretty good fight and had a good strategy, using Spikes as a way of trying to stop Paul switching. Paul didn't seem to care too much about the damage Spikes would do though, so the strategy didn't work as well as Barry hoped. Both Magmortar and Ursaring took a fair bit of damage and were probably near KOs too. Had Empoleon been able to defeat Electivire, it probably could have swept the other two in their weakened condition.

TeddiUrsa

Lol how you went out of your way and used every Japanese name and then fail over Empoleon's Japanese name... It's not Impoleon, it's Emperte... I guess you skipped Ursaring's Japanese name since you're into that line :p

Well funy that you mention it. ^^ Actually "Impoleon" is Empoleon's German name. I am German so I mix names up all the time. sometimes on purpose, sometimes by accident.
I types "Kicklee" instead of "Hitmonlee" for example which is Hitmonlee's German name. I usually use the names that pop up in my head first. Remembering 3 different names for each Pokemon is pretty difficult. :p

Corzola

Gible´s biggest fan!
Wow, 3 - 0. Paul was superior to Barry in everything... or was he really? Let´s look at it this way, Barry put up a fight in every part of the battle, both Empoleon and Hitmonlee fought better than one could have guessed. We all knew that Paul was to win but it was by no means the usual "one - hit and then KO" as we usually thinks of Pauls victories (except for the forst fight).

On the other hand, Paul was never threatend in the match, he did meet firece resistance but was never in real problem. He could counter everything Barry did. So at the same time 3 - 0 looks likes big numbers the battlesitself was far more even. But then one has to acknowlage that Paul was never in serious problems in the match. His victory was never in doubt.

TheNewGuy

That Elekid we saw right back at the start of DP is all grown up then, eh? And now it knows Giga Impact. I swear the Hyper Beam/Giga Impact are just gratuitously given to every fully evolved/powerful Pokemon as soon as they reach that stage. Like Kingler.

Anyway, that Ursaring was on its last legs. Hitmonlee came very close to bringing the bear down and I reckon it only needed a couple more hits after it took that knocked-back Focus Blast. Hitmonlee almost came out of that battle with more credit than Empoleon I thought, but Ursaring was too powerful.

Manchee

extra toasty
I'm glad Paul won so easily. For some reason I like that Barry was defeated so badly by his idol. I really don't think Barry chose the right Pokémon for this fight though. I mean really... I think he could've at least taken down one Pokémon if he had a different team.

BA~

uber gon

Accept Change
Wonder if we'll ever find out how Paul got an Electivire?

Candy-Sama

Kawaii Power
I'm kinda surprised Barry didn't defeat at least one of Paul's Pokemon. I'm also surprised Hitmonlee stayed up for as long as it did. As soon as Skarmory went down, I thought Hitmonlee would be the same.

JJDalts

Tobi is a good boy!
Wonder if we'll ever find out how Paul got an Electivire?

Doubtful. They didn't show how his Magmar evolved, so they propbably wont do here either. Not that its really a bad thing, we don't really need to see how they evolved lol.

wind21

A pretty standard battle for a league one. Definitely got the sense right away that Barry was in over his head. Barry's Skarmory takes one flamethrower and is knocked out, but Paul's Magmortar takes a Hydro Cannon from Empoleon and is still standing (and considering Empoleon is Barry's strongest pokemon, not good at all; in fact, Magmortar didn't even really try to dodge).

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
I was really impressed by Hitmonlee. It put up a great fight against Ursaring. I guess that's all I have for this episode. I was pretty underwhelmed the whole time knowing Paul would win.

I would love to know what Conway was saying about the Darkrai trainer though. Too bad Sushi or Durden or PK0082 don't appear to post in the episode discussion section.