• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Casting a Paul on Barry (652)

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Despite the fact that Barry lost 3-0, he still had his shining moments. Firstly, using spikes at the beginning of the battle, knowing that Paul is someone who likes to switch pokemon. Secondly, Hitmonlee gave Ursaring a run for its money and managed to land multiple hits while surviving some of Ursaring’s most vicious attacks. Third, Empoleon showing off those tennis skills by throwing Focus Blast right back at Ursaring, which caused Paul to finally switch the bear. Drill peck looked awesome as well. That being said, I think it’s bullcrap that the bear with anger issues survived all of those attacks. They really treated him like he was an elite four/champion level pokemon. Obviously, I didn’t expect Barry to win here, but the writers could’ve made Paul switch Ursaring a little earlier so it was more believable. Regardless, it was a great battle and there was some cool back to back action! I also noticed that Paul was not nasty towards Barry despite defeating him, which was a nice change of attitude for once.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Despite the fact that Barry lost 3-0, he still had his shining moments. Firstly, using spikes at the beginning of the battle, knowing that Paul is someone who likes to switch pokemon.
It was too bad for him that he didn't watch the Roark gym battle where Paul was shown sacrificing other pokemon regardless of what the opponent did to the battlefield. This was something that I liked about Paul because he was willing to take risks like this and refusal to dodge attacks which was an anomaly.
I think it’s bullcrap that the bear with anger issues survived all of those attacks. They really treated him like he was an elite four/champion level pokemon.
A) Ursaring was protected by plot armor

B) Paul just flat out trained his Ursaring prior to the battle with Barry

C) Most of Barry's pokemon are glass cannons

D) All of the above

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
This was something that I liked about Paul because he was willing to take risks like this and refusal to dodge attacks which was an anomaly.
Yeah, Paul’s battle style opened the can for more interesting scenarios in pokemon battles since he didn’t always followed conventional rules. Strategies like starting a battle with Spikes are designed to put pressure on the opponent, but Paul didn’t give a damn about it and switched anyway.

A) Ursaring was protected by plot armor

B) Paul just flat out trained his Ursaring prior to the battle with Barry

C) Most of Barry's pokemon are glass cannons

D) All of the above
I will concede that Paul’s Ursaring is stronger and well train, so even if Hitmonlee managed to land a bunch of attacks, it was always gonna be unable to resist much attacks from Ursaring. Barry put up a lot of emphasis on speed, while not putting more emphasis on defense. That being said I think Ursaring should’ve been finished when Empoleon threw its own focus blast back at it. If Hitmonlee wasn’t strong enough, surely its own attacks used against him should’ve done the job. Maybe the writers thought having Ursaring go down would make Paul look weak.