• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Casting a Paul on Barry (652)

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I guess this is it for Barry. I seriously don't believe he traveled for as long as Ash and Paul have. Anyway the battle was alright, it showed how powerful Paul is and Barry's Empoleon was better then it's ever been even though it lost. Poor Empoleon species.

Last edited:

STICKTOPIA

Omg Barry got violated! Hitmonlee did the best and still didn't win! Oh boy and Electivire with Giga Impact?! You know for sure that thing will go up against Ash! Oh yes Ursaring and that guts ability again! That thing's a beast!

jolteonjak I agree I want to know what Conway was saying about the Darkrai too.

Edit: Platinum fan. I think you mean you don't think he traveled for as long as Ash and Paul has. If you mean you don't think Paul traveled as long as Ash did then you're wrong.

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Omg Barry got violated! Hitmonlee did the best and still didn't win! Oh boy and Electivire with Giga Impact?! You know for sure that thing will go up against Ash! Oh yes Ursaring and that guts ability again! That thing's a beast!

jolteonjak I agree I want to know what Conway was saying about the Darkrai too.

Edit: Platinum fan. I think you mean you don't think he traveled for as long as Ash and Paul has. If you mean you don't think Paul traveled as long as Ash did then you're wrong.

Lol, thanks for checking my spelling. Yeah I meant Paul. I don't think Barry is anymore experienced then Kenny, Kenny also has a team of fully evolved Pokemon and a Empoleon, so no way can Barry have traveled for as long as Ash and Paul after watching him bomb against Paul the way he did. He fought bravely but was not even in Paul's league, Pardon the pun. I need to edit that.
Edit: Then again Paul switches his Pokemon like every ten seconds so it is rather tough to beat this guy regardless.

Last edited:

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Sucks that Barry went down. Although Hitmonlee and Empoleon came close to taking down Paul's Pokemon.

I swear that Ursaring is a freaking Highlander. No matter anyone does, it never seems to go down. The thing took a Mega Kick, Hi Jump Kick, Blaze Kick, Close Combat, and a reflected Focus Blast and still have energy to spare. Its like the only way to take it down is to cut its head off.

I'm glad that Paul and Barry still have respect for each other. Despite the win coming easy, Paul told him it was a good battle and promised Barry another battle someday. And Barry didn't become petty about losing and still looks up to Paul realizing how strong he is. Neither one came out looking negative towards one another like everyone else thought would happen.

Its more likely that Barry has to learn to be more focused in a battle. Just because you get off a powerful attack, that doesn't mean you have the match and by no means should you become overconfident. Half the time he got a big move off, he starting bragging about how strong his Pokemon was without paying attention to Paul's Pokemon. Before he even realized it, he couldn't do anything but dodge his attacks instead of being able to counter. Pretty much all he has to do is stay completely focused in a battle, he has every other aspect down.

And Empoleon taking that last Thunder was beasty. He was pretty much like "That's all I got, so just finish me off". Very honorable instead of trying to fight a losing battle.

And where the heck does Conway come from?! The guy just creeps up on Dawn tons of times in this episode seemingly out of nowhere. He must be really after her since its only her he's always behind. Pffft, probably trying to get a peek under that skirt.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
Even though it was 3-0, this match was waaay better than Nando vs Ash.

Skarmory got knocked out way too quickly, all just to put down some measly spikes that hardly did anything.

Ursaring vs Hitmonlee was simply epic! Ursaring is a juggernaut. How the hell did it take all those fighting type moves, beat Hitmonlee, and still have enough energy to fight Empoleon before being switched? Crazy.

Empoleon did pretty well and it showed a lot of will-power and spirit in this match, although Electivire eventually demolished it.

I was also surprised and glad that Barry and Paul didn't leave on bad terms since I thought Paul was going to be a complete douche to Barry, but he wasn't and they were cool after the match.

Overall, this was a pretty good episode.

HoennMaster

I was hoping to see Barry get at least one win, but the battle was still nice. I would have rather seen Rapidash then Skarmory or Hitmonlee but whatever. The end of the battle with Empoleon was sad. Poor Empoleon.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
What a dreadful episode. The only reason it's getting better reception is because it involved two of the more popular characters.

It began when Snorlax's appearance for the League was wasted on a two-second cameo.

When I noticed the battle hadn't yet started halfway through the episode yet Team Rocket had been taking up large chunks of time again, I got a bad feeling.

A league battle between two important characters should never begin with a OHKO, especially when it's a Pokémon that's never been seen once before.

Even discounting that, the only good matchup was Hitmonlee VS. Ursaring - I won't even comment on the bad joke that was Skarmory VS. Magmortar, and despite Torrent activating, Empoleon VS. Electivire was little more than Empoleon dodging everything.

I hope that Conway's episode is better than this, because this episode was a mess. He was the only good part about it.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
Wow! Barry just got raped really hard. I mean he showed a few decent moves but he didn't take down even one of Paul's pokemon. I'm kind of worried for Ash battling Paul. He's gonna need charizard and sceptile for this.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-The ep opens with Ash having Snorax crush a Grumpig to death. Horray!
-Ash finds out his next opponent is Kohei, which means...the creep himself appears! I love how Dawn's been getting progressively more creeped out by him in each arc he shows up in, by the way.
-Once again, Jun shows up, causing Shinou's two best side characters to be in dangerously close proximity once more.
-I don't know what's going on in this scene but the facial expressions are great.
-Ahaha one of TR's products is a Meowth maneki neko.
-I've vaguely curious as to what the stuff in the stat hexagon represents, even though I know it's just been slapped there for show. I assume that the bit that reaches all the way to the border and has its label highlighted means "hyperactivity", since that's clearly Jun's strongest trait.
-OH HEY LOOK THE LEAGUE TORCH CLEARLY IT'S ABOUT TO BE STOLEN, AS IS TRADITION
-Observe the Kohei in its natural habitat. Glasses glinting, it rises above the computer station to approach others that have entered its territory. Uttering a series of noises, it communicates with its fellows about a legendary danger lurking in the upcoming conflicts. It then directs a "friendly" communication the way of its desired mate before sinking back out of view.
-There's no space behind Dawn for Conway to pop up. Guess the writers felt like that joke would only work once?
-Did Skarmory just lay down spikes? D...does Jun have the attention span for strategy now?
-Unfortunately, that's all Skarm is good for. Ain't type disadvantages grand?
-Jun's throwing animations are as silly as he is. I love it!
-Jun has a brilliant plan - use a water type! Unfortunately, Paul knows the advanced strategy of "switching Pokemon."
-Apparently Hitmonlee turn evil when they use Close Combat. Look at those eyes.
-As someone who normally doesn't mind TR during tournament arcs...go away. I'm actually watching this battle, and you're stealing screentime from the good stuff!
-At this point Paul is just switching out to be a prick and deny Jun the pleasure of KOing even one Pokemon.
-Cheesy "GANBATE!!" Torrent activation, GO! [insert your own piracy joke here]
-Jun took the loss surprisingly well, and Paul actually said it was a good battle. (liar!) Dammit, where's the "Jun realizes that Paul's an asshole" reveal?!
-Creepy glasses glare+sunset lighting=delighfully evil Conway appearance. At this rate Dawn's going to become a nun just to get away from him. Or at least start wearing longer skirts.

This ep was weird. I should have been annoyed with the cheap battle, but I was actually paying more attention than usual! I guess that's just the magic of Jun. Aside from that, I'm disappointed that we'll probably never see Jun realize how Paul actually is(although Paul has been less of a jerk lately).

Don't kill me for randomly switching between JP and English names. I can't be bothered to be consistant today.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Well. Paul's electric pokemon from Elekid-to-Electabuzz has finally evolved into Electivire. I knew that he would use it in the Sinnoh League. Poor Barry, I wanted him to knock out at least one of his pokemon but its looks like he unable to take down any of them because he subsitites his pokemon. Knowing Paul, he probably wants to overwhelm his opponent. But somehow Barry wasn't feel bad about it. By the looks of that move of Electivire towards Empoleon to the finish, I say that he learned Giga Impact. But what amazes me is that Empoleon activate his Torrent ability. Looks like one of Ash's sinnoh rivals has been eliminated.

NES

Flip me to the side!
Poor Barry, he got destroyed by Paul, he should get a cheating device check though, that Ursaring of his is truly on steroids. Pokesav standards.

Anyway i'm so glad about Conway stalking Dawn 3 times per episode, he is just a creepy funny guy, wonder how he manages to appear randomly from UNDER her, don't want to know what he is doing there.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Gotta say, this was a great battle, just as expected. Even though Barry didn't actually beat any of Paul's pokemon, his pokemon put up one great fight in each round that they were in (well with the exception of Skarmory who went down with one attack) Although I kinda feel at least Ursaring should have gone down. I mean it took all those hits, even its own Focus Blast and still wouldn't die. What's that thing made out of anyway? And did anyone else notice how despite being burned the writers completely ignored the damaging effects of it, unlike how in the full battle where Pikachu was being hurt after every attack it did? But all and all, it was a good battle, especially how Empoleon took that Thunder like a man and went down standing on his feet and without the swirly eyed effect. Also it was nice to see that even though he curb stomped Barry, Paul didn't ridicule him after the match and even seemed to have something nice to say.

One thing I don't quite get though is why all throughout DP they had given Barry and the Gym Leaders teams identical to their game counterparts only to randomly break it here by giving Barry a Skarmory and Hitmonlee, 2 pokemon that felt kinda randomly tacked onto Barry's team, especially when Skarmory just went down so fast. But aside from that little oddity, it was a good battle.

Edit: I find it funny that Conway is so mysterious, that even the computers have no idea about him or his team. What is this guy some alien sent to infiltrate the pokemon world or something?

Last edited:

RWB

Dragon busted by Her
We all knew that Paul was to win but it was by no means the usual "one - hit and then KO" as we usually thinks of Pauls victories (except for the forst fight).

That's odd.

Ash vs Paul didn't have one case of that. Not one.

Buizel took 4 hits, Staraptor 7, Gliscor 3, Pikachu 3(I think), Monferno 4, and Grotle 3 hits.

Paul's fights generally aren't Quick KO fests.

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
Well, this ep was... AWESOME!!! Barry should be proud of himself, even if it was 3-0 he did put up a great battle with Paul even Paul admitted that. We got to see torrent for the first time too, Empoleon was great, the way it fainted felt just like how a soldier sacaraficed in a battle XD Is it just me or did Paul become nicer and nicer everytime we see him? Anyway next up is Ash vs Conway, it's time for Donphan, Noctowl and Gible to shine! I hope Gible star that battle!

Umbreon9

It's been a while...
Was this episode good? 'Cause I'm looking forward to seeing it...... But IDK when. I really like Barry. He's just awesome. :) And him facing his idol. Awesome. And him losing. Awesome? @,@

Curfy97

"I need a mustache."
:( I really wish Barry would've won... Now, I'm looking for revenge!!! ASH KETCHUM, YOU BETTER KICK PAUL'S ANUS AFTER BEATING CONWAY THE CREEP!!!!

Margo

From what I could gather, all that was said about the Darkrai trainer was that he beat both of his (?) opponents using only Darkrai, and that it was the only Pokemon he used while challenging the gyms.

I'm guessing that, whether Ash or Paul winds up facing Darkrai, they'll be defeated. Because, I mean, if you can beat the guy's Darkrai, it's probably all downhill from there.

Last edited: