1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Casting a Paul on Barry (652)

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Diamond & Pearl: Sinnoh League Victors' started by Serebii, Jul 15, 2010.

1. OfCorsola

OfCorsola Brock and Misty!

I knew Barry was going to loose, but it was still impressive. The character interactions were also really good. I liked Conway's appearance in here too, even though it was short. Dawn imitating Paul was hilarious.

I still like Empoleon, power of friendship card was used there though.

Daizy likes this.
  2. PokemonBattleFanatic-

PokemonBattleFanatic- Standby for Battle!

Barry's Pokemon were all Glass Cannons

3. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

The beckoning Meowth toy that Jessie was selling was cute and finally we got to see Paul vs Barry. Paul's Ursaring was as vicious as always and I didn't expect Barry to own a Hitmonlee and Skarmory. :3

4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Jun just didn't stand a chance, regardless of his team since he was up against Shinji, who was going to win no matter what for plot purposes. Poor Jun was almost treated as fodder. What a waste.

5. Wednesdayz

Wednesdayz Banned

Overall it was an impressive battle between Paul and Barry. The best part definitely had to be Ursaring vs. Hitmonlee. Still, I can't figure out why the writers just wouldn't let the bear drop. :x

6. Alloutℯ

Alloutℯ Banned

Barry finally got the match he wanted; there wasn't anything new or surprising about this pair-up. The writers could have had Ash battle Barry instead and give his other reserves some much needed screen-time, but the focus of this series is character development not battle development.

7. Mrs. Oreo

Mrs. Oreo Banned

It's true that Barry would've lost against Paul no matter what given that Paul was destined to fight Ash in the higher rounds, but still even tho Barry was an underdog I felt that he did very well against Paul, which was all I could ask for.

8. DarkLeviathan

DarkLeviathan Banned

Not sure why Barry was even given a Hitmonlee when he could've had his ingame team instead, and what's with Paul sweeping Barry like it was nothing?

9. PokemonBattleFanatic-

PokemonBattleFanatic- Standby for Battle!

• Paul switched out his pokemon at the right time before they could receive any critical damage that could lead to a KO
    • Electivire,Ursaring,and Magmortar are highly trained tanks/powerhouses
    • Barry's pokemon weren't strong enough

MockingJ likes this.
  10. MasterTobias

MasterTobias Well-Known Member

Add the fact that Barry was gloating every time he landed a hit,thus Paul had a lot of more time to react.Seriously that was almost the same kind of mistake Sawyer made when he was a beginner,i am surprised Barry even made it this far like that.

MockingJ likes this.
  11. Wednesdayz

Wednesdayz Banned

Paul was always OP, so it's not exactly surprising.

12. Shayuin

Shayuin Banned

The battle between Barry and Paul was great and Team Rocket didn't interfere as much as in last episode. It's also very nice to see the writers think outside the box and not confine Barry to his in-game team.

13. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Jun's overconfidence seemed out-of-character during his match with Shinji here, because he had always idolized Shinji before this episode, so him being boastful in front of his idol didn't seem to fit with what we knew about his personality.

MockingJ likes this.
  14. UltraNick

UltraNick Member

Paul is the real OG!

15. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

In hindsight, Jun's loss wasn't as bad as I originally thought, mainly because we'd seen him as the underdog in Shinou so often at this point that his loss against Shinji seemed so inevitable.

MockingJ likes this.
  16. Vulpicks

Vulpicks Well-Known Member

I hate how Barry couldn't even pick one Pokemon off. That Ursaring is ridiculously OP. There is no way it should've eaten that many attacks, especially SE ones. Hitmonlee was awesome.

Also, unlike others, I actually quite enjoy the Team Rocket subplot (Though they did take up a bit too much time in the Ash vs. Nando fight. The battles should ALWAYS take precedence.) It's really entertaining watching them rise up the ranks through various sales strategies, and not interrupting the battles. Their best inclusion in a league arc by far. I just wish they'd permanently move on with their lives and start their own business....

Dawn impersonating Paul was great lol

MockingJ likes this.
  17. Daizy

Daizy I call you honey

Barry losing would've been way more satisfying if he had put up a much better challenge against Paul but I dunno, he seemed to lose too easily.