• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Casting a Paul on Barry (652)

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I knew Barry was going to loose, but it was still impressive. The character interactions were also really good. I liked Conway's appearance in here too, even though it was short. Dawn imitating Paul was hilarious.

I still like Empoleon, power of friendship card was used there though.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The beckoning Meowth toy that Jessie was selling was cute and finally we got to see Paul vs Barry. Paul's Ursaring was as vicious as always and I didn't expect Barry to own a Hitmonlee and Skarmory. :3

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Overall it was an impressive battle between Paul and Barry. The best part definitely had to be Ursaring vs. Hitmonlee. Still, I can't figure out why the writers just wouldn't let the bear drop. :x

Alloutℯ

Banned
Barry finally got the match he wanted; there wasn't anything new or surprising about this pair-up. The writers could have had Ash battle Barry instead and give his other reserves some much needed screen-time, but the focus of this series is character development not battle development.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Jun just didn't stand a chance, regardless of his team since he was up against Shinji, who was going to win no matter what for plot purposes.

It's true that Barry would've lost against Paul no matter what given that Paul was destined to fight Ash in the higher rounds, but still even tho Barry was an underdog I felt that he did very well against Paul, which was all I could ask for.

Not sure why Barry was even given a Hitmonlee when he could've had his ingame team instead, and what's with Paul sweeping Barry like it was nothing?

MasterTobias

• Paul switched out his pokemon at the right time before they could receive any critical damage that could lead to a KO
  • Electivire,Ursaring,and Magmortar are highly trained tanks/powerhouses
  • Barry's pokemon weren't strong enough

Add the fact that Barry was gloating every time he landed a hit,thus Paul had a lot of more time to react.Seriously that was almost the same kind of mistake Sawyer made when he was a beginner,i am surprised Barry even made it this far like that.

Shayuin

Banned
The battle between Barry and Paul was great and Team Rocket didn't interfere as much as in last episode. It's also very nice to see the writers think outside the box and not confine Barry to his in-game team.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Add the fact that Barry was gloating every time he landed a hit,thus Paul had a lot of more time to react.Seriously that was almost the same kind of mistake Sawyer made when he was a beginner,i am surprised Barry even made it this far like that.

Jun's overconfidence seemed out-of-character during his match with Shinji here, because he had always idolized Shinji before this episode, so him being boastful in front of his idol didn't seem to fit with what we knew about his personality.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, Jun's loss wasn't as bad as I originally thought, mainly because we'd seen him as the underdog in Shinou so often at this point that his loss against Shinji seemed so inevitable.

Vulpicks

I hate how Barry couldn't even pick one Pokemon off. That Ursaring is ridiculously OP. There is no way it should've eaten that many attacks, especially SE ones. Hitmonlee was awesome.

Also, unlike others, I actually quite enjoy the Team Rocket subplot (Though they did take up a bit too much time in the Ash vs. Nando fight. The battles should ALWAYS take precedence.) It's really entertaining watching them rise up the ranks through various sales strategies, and not interrupting the battles. Their best inclusion in a league arc by far. I just wish they'd permanently move on with their lives and start their own business....

Dawn impersonating Paul was great lol

Daizy

I call you honey
I knew Barry was going to loose, but it was still impressive. The character interactions were also really good. I liked Conway's appearance in here too, even though it was short. Dawn imitating Paul was hilarious.

Barry losing would've been way more satisfying if he had put up a much better challenge against Paul but I dunno, he seemed to lose too easily.

Cloudfinity

I enjoyed the episode very much. My favourite part had to be when Dawn impersonated Paul. Man was that funny. She was spot on with what he would say and how he would do it.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
This episode was so fun to watch, I loved it. Barry being so fired up to meet Paul and Dawn doing an impression of him was both really funny and a great contrast to what actually ends up happening. Paul taking Barry seriously enough that he ends up checking his stats was a good foundation for them actually meeting each other properly; that whole interaction was gold. Ash and Barry also have some great scenes together. Their whole rivalry is a bit underrated, especially strange when their interactions are always so enjoyable.

The battle itself was great. It was bad for Barry….he did what he could but Paul is just Him o_O Ursaring continues to be a menace to society lmaoooo my god. What is Paul feeding that thing? Hitmonlee got some hits in but even that wasn’t enough. Empoleon vs Electivire was exciting as well; Barry felt competent but Paul was always several steps ahead. That Whitebeard-esque KO for Empoleon was iconic, so iconic Sirfetch’d replicated it just yesterday.

I really enjoy Paul and Barry’s dynamic honestly. I wish they would’ve appeared or even cameod together in JN. Now that I think about it, they seem like a pretty on-the-nose parallel to Flint and Volkner, who are like attached at the hip every appearance. Just Paul being genuinely very nice to him and respecting his skill and Barry doing the same, looking up to him a lot but also seeing him as an equal is a great relationship for them both.

The Conway battle I remember is really cool and interesting, looking forward to it.