• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Catching Methods

GuardChomp

(︶_︶)╭∩╮
Today I was trying to catch a virziron. I combined all three of the techniques I mentioned above & still could catch it. After setting up all of this... look who decided to show up! critical capture! After 20+ turns of hell setting up with Emolgas & Lilligant.

Weez1990

Hyuck hyuck hyuck
False Swipe and Thunder Wave is the best method for me.
I still have that habit of holding Down and A whenever I throw a Pokéball, even though it doesn't do anything XD

Kalosian

So long
I usually get them down to 1 HP with False Swipe (unless its a Ghost-type or it has a recoil move), then put it to sleep or paralyze it in case I do not have a Sleeper with me at the moment. When that is done, I throw the ball(s) that has the highest chance of a capture.

Danny1221

False swipe plus thunder wave, and ultra balls or others if useful.

What is a critical capture?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
For non-legends, I just use False Swipe+Ultra Ball. For legends, I do pretty much the same thing but bring about 25-50 Ultra Balls and 20-25 Timer Balls and sometimes use a status condition if I have one. Runners are a bit complicated, though. First thing I do is try to weaken it with a relatively powerful attack until its HP is in the red. Then, the next time I fight it I bring a high level Wobbuffet (you can catch Lv. 60 Wobbuffets in Cerulean Cave in FRLG) and thanks to Shadow Tag and its stupidly high HP, it'll sponge up hits while I keep throwing Ultra/Timer Balls at it until I catch it.

What is a critical capture?

http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/capture.shtml

Spam premier balls and cherish balls.

Is this your idea of a joke? You know you can't use Cherish Balls without hacking. And Premier Balls are only as effective as normal Poke Balls, so they're utterly useless.

Last edited:

azurimon

► A ▼ x2
I bring out a Pokemon with a type disadvantage to the Pokemon I want to catch, so that I can carefully weaken it. :p Induce a status problem too, if possible.

Then I hit the A button + down on the control pad when the pokeball captures it, then tap A repeatedly when it wiggles. I used to alternate A + B button taps, but that was in Gen. I and II. :] /habit

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
False Swipe.

If I don't have False Swipe on hand, put them to sleep, freeze them, burn them, paralyze them, or poison them. (but I obviously have to be careful not to faint them...)

AND of course the thing that the user two posts before me wrote in small text.

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
When pokeball closes press ABA when it flashes then click A every time the ball moves. It helped me catch a Thundorus with just a pokeball. After I got into the battle with it I realized that I only had 1 pokeball with me. I don't know which method works better so I do them both

Usually, I walk in the tall grass.

PokeMEN

PokeMEN Master
when I chain pokemon I always falso swipe then ultra ball them. quick and easy

Silverwindstudios

The Midnight Artist~
I quick ball spam for random pokemon. If I'm going up against a Ditto, I give the first pokemon in my party a smoke ball and I make it a pokemon like rattata, or something. then I switch, and use a repeat ball on it. Simple.
I use Victini's thunder wave to catch legends.
;)

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Without false swipe, I usually use not-very-effect moves so that while it weakens the pokemon, it doesn't KO them. Doesn't always work though because of critical hits.