• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Catching Rarest Pokemon in the Safari Zone

Red_the_knight

Pokemon Warrior
This is the most annoying most idea everyone hates catching, and that's very rare Pokemon that run away.

I had to go after Tauros, Chansey, Scyther, and Dratini. But there are quick strategies to get these Pokemon, and perhaps a Kangaskhan.

Tell me, everyone: How annoying was it to catch a Pokemon, losing sight of the Pokemon you want, and finally victory came over. No need to reveal a strategy unless you want to.

Aquarelle

Staff member
The only Pokemon I managed to catch in the Safari Zone in these games were the weaker ones, like Nidoran, Exeggcute, etc. Every time I found Chansey, Dratini, Tauros, etc., I got "you missed the Pokemon!" when I threw a ball or they ran as soon as I threw something at them.

That's why I went to the coast of the Seafoam Islands to catch them. :p

Kalosian

So long
My usual strategy in the Safari Zone was to just throw Balls and hope that it would be a capture. Usually, I had to spend a few hours in order to get the Pokemon I wanted, if it was one of the rarer ones. I remember that I had a strategy together with a friend, we walked to a certain grass patch in one of the areas and met lots of rare Pokemon there. I have no idea why it worked, but it did. Though this was only for Yellow, we did not have any strategies for Red and Blue.

Crocker

Let's Roggenrola!
I had some troubles with Dratini, but nothing seriously.
Catching Tauros was usually a hard challenge, but nothing compared to Kangaskhan...I've lost months to even find one.
And I never tried to catch Chansey, because luckily is findable in Cerulean Cave...

Charoshi

Charmander is best
I always had the hardest time with Kanga, and that carried on into the remakes too. :(

jm-9

I played Yellow, as for many years I did not have Red or Blue. After I bought Blue, I realised just how much easier thay made it to catch rare pokemon in Yellow. For example, the catch rate of Kangaskhan in R/B is 4%. In Yellow it is 15% in Area 3. Though you do have to catch Tangela in the Safari Zone in Yellow, which sucks as it runs immediately.

The first time I completed my pokedex, in 2006, I had a strategy which often worked. I think it was to throw 2 pieces of bait, and then a rock. I haven't had much success in more recent times, though, so I usually just throw a ball and hope for the best(unless it misses the pokemon).

Since then, I have caught the Safari Zone pokemon in R/B too(I think by using the Old Man glitch). But now I'm playing Green, and the glitch doesn't seem to work there. I'm only missing a few pokemon that I don't have to trade for. All are Safari Zone pokemon.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I'm not sure how I did it, but I caught Chansey very easily. Other than that, I caught Kangaskhan, and that's it. I got dratini from the Game Corner.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't think I caught any rare Pokémon at the Safari Zone :/. All I remember was it was very frustrating trying to find them, only to have them run away. I may have only saw a Chansey maybe twice my whole game-play of Yellow.

Sprintking

Both Kangaskhan and Chansey were the end of me. I spent an unhealthy portion of my childhood in that forsaken place.

Larry

Chansey and especially Tauros were the ones I had the most trouble with.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I never encountered Chansey, but I saw Kanghakan but he kept running away.
The only ones I managed to catch were Dratini, Scyther, and Pinsir

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

I caught all of them, but it took forever ti catch all of them. They kept running away. But eventually, I got lucky and I caught all of them.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
Oh man the Safari zone... one of my least favorite places.

Catching pokemon there was sooo hard. The rarest ones always run away. I could only catch only Nidorino/na, Parasect, Exceggcute and I think I also caught a Tauros. But I could never catch Scyther, Kangaskan and Cahansey among others.

Tycrane

Avid Pokétrainer
Kangaskhan definitely.

It took me almost a full day trying to catch that Pokemon since it just kept on running away on the first move. :(

Red Panda

Exceggcute and Tauros I see as the "common" pokes compare to the others.

*Note that I am playing on Yellow

Dratini require fishing not surfing correct? So you technically would catch it like any other pokemon once you find a decent fishing spot. Steps only count if you move from a tile to a different tile.

I heard the rocks/bait are completely useless and you better off just pushing your luck.

I only took two trips to collect all of the items in my current run and I easily caught Poliwag (free balls and I already pay the fee so why not?), Exceggcute and Tauros. I could most likely got the Dratini but I didn't have the super rod yet.

During my time I used up all of my steps and I only seen one Rhyhorn. That where they get you. That $500 fee may be cheap but after a while you may end up paying $5000+ unless you cheat/savestate or use bugs/glitches.

The only trick that I know is that you can move without moving to a different tile which may still cause random battles. If you have pikachu then getting between him and a tree or something will help slightly.

Also because this on topic and I will need this as a reference for myself later anyway:

Best location for Pokemon Yellow:
Dratini - Entrance (Note that your chance only increase by 10%, otherwise you can fish these guys pretty much anywhere. Poliwag is the only other noteworthy poke where the others are common in Yellow though he is quite common also)
Rhyhorn & Tangela - Entrance (Rhyhorn Alt: Cerulean Cave, it recommended to get Tang first, who knows you may get lucky with Rhyhorn)
Chansey - Area 1 (Alt: Cerulean Cave)
Scyther & Kangaskhan - Area 2 (Scyther Alt: Game Corner prize for 6500C, it recommended to get khan first, who knows you may get lucky with Scyther while searching.)
Pinsir - Area 3 (Alt: Game Corner prize for 6500C)

Khan can be gotten by the MissingNo glitch which I don't support but even so Tang require hunting so you will be searching regardless though he could be traded in with red/blue.

All of this assuming you are playing Yellow.