• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Catching Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just caught my first pokeradar shinies:
Bibarel ;400; x3

And I've also caught a random shiny Buizel while chaining something else.

Swift

So...Swift thinks he understands...
Still, why SR? And how often would one have to save when chaining?
Apologies if these types of questions are annoying...but they go unexplained in all theories...

Edit: Also, with the 4-zone grid, is the 0 your character?

~Swift the Halfling Vampyre

Last edited:

VTUSH

<---Hatched
So...Swift thinks he understands...
Still, why SR? And how often would one have to save when chaining?
Apologies if these types of questions are annoying...but they go unexplained in all theories...

~Swift the Halfling Vampyre

SR is Soft resseting that is when you save in front of a pokemon such as drifloon or regigigas and keep on encountering it until it is shiny, and by pressing the buttons L R START and SELECT together it does a "short" way of turning your game off and back on.
But it think you are meaning 'why do you have to reset the radar to get a shiny?'
Well once you reach 40 on your chain the chances of finding a shiny do not go any lower so you just reset the radar until a shiny patch of grass turns up. because when you are at 40 on a chain the chances of finding a shiny is only 1 in 50 so you will not automatically see a shiny patch a soon as you reach forty.
You do not need to save when your chaining because if you save in a middle of a chain and turn off, just say to leave it for tommorow. your chain BREAKS, so if you would want a break while your chaining just place your DS on the charger and while you are in a battle just put the DS on sleep (which is just closing it) so remember do not save and turn off in a chain because t will break.

Swift

SR is Soft resseting that is when you save in front of a pokemon such as drifloon or regigigas and keep on encountering it until it is shiny, and by pressing the buttons L R START and SELECT together it does a "short" way of turning your game off and back on.
But it think you are meaning 'why do you have to reset the radar to get a shiny?'
Well once you reach 40 on your chain the chances of finding a shiny do not go any lower so you just reset the radar until a shiny patch of grass turns up. because when you are at 40 on a chain the chances of finding a shiny is only 1 in 50 so you will not automatically see a shiny patch a soon as you reach forty.
You do not need to save when your chaining because if you save in a middle of a chain and turn off, just say to leave it for tommorow. your chain BREAKS, so if you would want a break while your chaining just place your DS on the charger and while you are in a battle just put the DS on sleep (which is just closing it) so remember do not save and turn off in a chain because t will break.

So...SRing will reset the radar, yes? But a SR won't break a chain? In other words, radar is used, shiny patch appears, battle sequence (do you run or faint the pokemon?), no shiny patches. A SR will not break this chain because...?

XXXD

Bored
restarting your ds in any way will result in a chain break, SR or not. just keep at it (resetting the radar) - it may take minutes, it may take hours, but you eventually WILL get your shiny.

So...SRing will reset the radar, yes? But a SR won't break a chain? In other words, radar is used, shiny patch appears, battle sequence (do you run or faint the pokemon?), no shiny patches. A SR will not break this chain because...?

Soft-Resetting will break your chain.

When People say "resetting the Radar", they mean running around for 50 steps to recharge it and then use it again to make more shaking grass patches appear. People SR(Soft-Reset) in a different form of Shiny hunting, where you save in front of a Pokémon that you can see on the overworld(Legendaries, Drifloon, Rotom, Honey Tree Pokémon ect.), encounter it in battle, and if it doesn't Shine then you SR and keep repeating the process until it does.

Whilst chaining, if a Shiny patch appears then that means a Shiny Pokémon is within it. Obviously, you capture it. All the normal Pokémon you encounter whilst chaining must be KOed or caught; fleeing the battle will end the chain ;O
Also, if you need don't know what a Shiny patch looks like, then click here(it's the bush I enter, of course).

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

About this, yes 0 is where you are standing when the bushes shake. That can be when you use your Poké Radar, or after battling a Pokémon in a shaking patch.
Notice the area is divided into rows, so the 1's are row 1, the 2's are row 2 and so on. Your chain usually has a lesser chance of breaking if you enter shaking patches in the 4th row, so try and enter these if you can. If some bushes shake and you don't see a good enough patch to enter, then recharge and reuse your Radar until you find a good enough patch.

Just try yourself and you'll pick it all up as you go along, eventually :)

I finished my Spoink chain with one Shiny, as I had to break it so I could trade - A Shiny Spoink appears!
Also, I got Platinum yesterday, so I can chain in that game once I get through the story ^_^

Pokerealm

Newest Shiny~
Caught my second Shiny Spoink in Platinum, broke the chain on purpose.
Went to Route 212-South to chain Croagunk (Yes, it's chainable in Platinum).

I found there was heavy rain fall instead of the normal rain but I took the gamble, and managed to get to 40 on my first attempt =D

Now resetting, I'll be the first to catch a chained Shiny Croagunk =D

ArcaneFlare

Shiny Team Builder
Just got 2 new shiny Togepi last night. One's bold and the others adamant, so it turned out somewhat ok as far as natures. Now I can start thinking up movesets :)

The Tail

My radars so far are: Bronzor x2 Magnemite x2 Stunky x1 (random encounter grass =) ) Guardavoir x 1 Sntret x 1 Furret x 1 Absol x 1 Swellow x 1 Floatzel x 1 Fearow x 1 Roselia x 1 Luxray x 1 Machoke x 2 Ampharos x 1 Geodude x 1 ( chain of seven) Meditite x 1 Staraptor x 1 Ponyta x 1 Pachirisu x 1 Electrike x 1

Right now I'm chaining for a shiny Swablu, wish me luck ><

DryBones

Event Collector
Currently chaining Krabby (swarm) in Route 226 on my copy of Pearl.
Ive messed it up a few times, as i type this im on 30.

Wish me luck.

My friend is also chaining Cubone as i type this, he was resetting like mad at 40, no shinies, i told him not to risk going higher but he's taken it to like 45.

He's gonna regret it when it breaks :-/ :-\

Edit: He just found a shiny Cubone.

I am on 31 Krabby.

Murra Myrrh

First 5th Gen Shiny!
I'm going to try to chain for a Nincada...Or maybe a Wurmple sence my Dustox doesn't have the best of IV (Even though he's a BAMF!), not to mention a good present for my friend. ^^ Wish me a little luck! Hope it doesn't take me 3 days like the LAST thing I tried to chain...

Gratz on oll your shinies! And good luck DryBones, I know how that feels.

Hey Halcyon, tell me if Platnum is any good, I just might order it too. ^^ And gratz on the spoink, sorry it was only one though.

Well have fun you guys. ^^

DryBones

Event Collector
I'm going to try to chain for a Nincada...Or maybe a Wurmple sence my Dustox doesn't have the best of IV (Even though he's a BAMF!), not to mention a good present for my friend. ^^ Wish me a little luck! Hope it doesn't take me 3 days like the LAST thing I tried to chain...

Gratz on oll your shinies! And good luck DryBones, I know how that feels.

Hey Halcyon, tell me if Platnum is any good, I just might order it too. ^^ And gratz on the spoink, sorry it was only one though.

Well have fun you guys. ^^

Thanks,

Also my friend had to go offline but he managed to get a 2nd shiny cubone before he left.

I assume he's still in the same chain now getting more lol

I havent chained for shinies like like 5-6 months, it feels weird doing it again and not sucking at it lol.

EDIT:
I reset loads on 40, nothing came, got bored, moved up to 41, reset some more, caught shiny i saw, reset some more, nothing, now moving up to 42. YAY. Caught a 2nd one, Im now on number 46, i keep jumping 2 higher between catching them. I'm gonna keep the chain going until it breaks/I run out of Max Repels (80 left)

I will update later with final shiny total/stats

Last edited:

Azul

Tactic Seeker
Status
Not open for further replies.