• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Catching Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar - READ FIRST POST

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Tepi 8

Prince of Blue
Yesterday I had a swarm of Krabby so I decided to chain them since I hadn't chained in a long time. The chain got to 12 then just broke so I just left. Then I got my trusty Raichu out to use for chaining Flaafy. The Flaafy chain reached 44 and 3 shinies appeared along the way :D. One each at 17, 36 and 44 :). That makes 5 shinies I have caught from chaining. 3 Flaafy and 2 Shinx :D

beals1

Tonight is the first time I've ever chained before, and I think I've got it under control. My first chain ever got up to 8, and it only broke because I wasn't watching after the battle to see where the patches were, and I stepped the wrong way. I'd be so excited if I could get a chain up until 40 tonight :) Oh by the way, I'm chaining Surskit since it's my swarm today.

EDIT: I got my shiny Surskit! I'm so excited! This is my first Shiny since the 2nd Gen! Unfortunately, my chain broke at 41 because of a Bidoof (makes me hate those things even more >.<).

Right now I'm chaining Porygon, and I'm up to 10. I'd be ecstatic if I got 2 shinies tonight!

EDIT2: So I took a break from Porygon to see what today's new swarm was, and it's Natu, so I decided to trek through Victory Road to get there. I just ended up with a chain of 30 Natu, which broke with a Beautifly >.< Now it's off to bed for me.

Last edited:

Connor™

Showstopper
Hmm, I tried chaining pokemon a few days ago...
Wasn't going too well, I was chaining the swarm pokemon (Krabby) and most my chains had broke at 20. Then I got a chain to 35, the highest I've got one and began to reset the radar. After about 20 resets I got the first shiny, my syncher failed T_T I ended up with a modest Krabby, I wanted Adamant. After restsing the radar a few more times I began to give up grabbing another shiny. Then I seen a shiny patch. My heart nearly stopped. My first proper chain and I had got two shiny patches :eek:
Anyways, on both attempts my syncher failed. The first shiny was Modest and the second was Quirky T_T

beals1

So I was reading ninjascyther's help posts, and it said:

And the Pokemon’s appearance rate stays as it was when you began the chain. (ie. If a Pokemon's appearance rate is 30% Day and 20% Night, you can start a chain at Daytime and the appearance rate will stay at 30% no matter how long the chain goes for).

The question I have is, does that hold true if the Pokemon doesn't appear during the day. For example, if I want to chain Gastly, but Gastly only appears at night. If I start a chain and wait until daytime, will they still appear, even though their rate is 0 for that time?

ArcaneFlare

Shiny Team Builder
The question I have is, does that hold true if the Pokemon doesn't appear during the day. For example, if I want to chain Gastly, but Gastly only appears at night. If I start a chain and wait until daytime, will they still appear, even though their rate is 0 for that time?
Yes they will. That's one of the nicer qualities of chaining.
If you get tired and need to stop your game overnight and play again during the day, the time change has no effect. I do it myself all the time.

Penguin_Man

Yesterday I caught 2 shiny ponytas (which are my favorite shiny) and I was really happy, even though it took about 60 max repels for the first shiny patch to show up for some reason. Well after my first shiny I just chained as high as I could. I got to 51 and then a tauros broke it. I'll try for some more easy pokemon today.

tonyg44x

Poke-Ballin'
well i havent posted in a while but im happy my first returning post is about the shiny volbeat i chained the other day....it didnt take that long and suprisingly the shiny looks pretty good...

Now all i have to do is get the illumise to go with it..(apologizes if illumise is spelt wrong.)

Hitaka

Phoenix
Huzzah, I just caught my first shiny by chaining. It's a shiny Swellow, like the one Winona has. I even managed to get it in a Premier Ball for extra shininess. I'm trying to get more at the moment.

Last edited:

SSparky

I was chaining Eevee's today but haven't been having much luck with them. I get up to about 20 but my chain keeps breaking around there. So I decided to take a break and check on some honey tree's (trying to see how hard it is to get a Munchlax from one) and ended up encountering a shiny female Combee instead. Not actually the shiny I was looking to get today but of course I captured it. Still, maybe I'll have some luck with Eevee later...

beals1

Oh no! My chain of Miltank just broke at 31 for absolutely no reason. That's so upsetting! Not necessarily because I want a shiny Miltank (I actually just started chaining because it appeared and I was bored. I was actually searching for a Gastly), but because I was soooo close and I didn't do anything wrong. Stupid unlucky chaining >.<

My two goals right now are actually Gastly and Misdreavus (I have an obsession with ghost Pokemon), and hopefully I'll get a good swarm.

EDIT: My life is sad. I got my Smoochum chain (swarm of the day) up until 38, and it broke >.< I was very upset about that one, as it should have been a safe one. Gah.

Last edited:

Mega Weavile

Well, I travelled on Christmas and came back with 9 more Shinies: 4 Shiny Corsola and 5 Shiny Pidgey.

The Corsola chain was my fastest chain ever (I think), it took me just 32 Super Repels to get the chain to 40. The Shinies appeared, respectively, at 749, 741, 740 and 734/815 Super Repels. After that I entered some safe patches and the chain broke at 48 when I was resetting and accidentally stepped oin a patch by my side with a Togepi.

The Pidgey chain took me more Repels. I had to use 48 Max Repels to get to 40 and the Shinies showed up, respectively, at 204, 187, 159, 132 and 122/301 MRs. After catching the 5 Shinies I decided to chain up, but the fisrt patch that I entered (that should be a safe one) broke my chain.

Shiny Corsola #1: Modest - 4/19/12/11/31/2
Shiny Corsola #2: Calm - 12/13/20/27/27/14
Shiny Corsola #3: Modest - 10/15/14/25/24/25
Shiny Corsola #4: Modest - 4/7/17/0/3/10

Shiny Pidgey #1: Timid - 17/1/31/4/23/9
Shiny Pidgey #2: Adamant - 17/29/31/20/2/26
Shiny Pidgey #3: Adamant - 13/27/19/11/6/29
Shiny Pidgey #4: Timid - 11/13/24/28/29/24
Shiny Pidgey #5: Impish - 26/30/25/1/12/26

Pikamiki

PokeTrainer Miki
My first ever chain shiny!!!!! A Blue Gastrodon :D :D :D

Hitaka

Phoenix
Well, I got 9 shiny Swellows and a chain of 60 before it broke. One of them is even Adamant. I just wish the Pidgey swarm would show up so I can chain them next.

EDIT: I think I will go for Swablu next. Orange Altaria is beautiful. It's like a sunrise instead of the usual sky blue.

Last edited:

Skibob

BUCKET
Hello everyone! Pretty new to the whole chaining scene, but I found the guides here pretty helpful and have begun chaining some more.
I'm currently chaining for Larvitar. =O

MidnightStorm

Chaining is getting very unpredictable for me. I tried Wingull and Mareep and both end abruptly after I get to like 30. This gets frustrating, but I think I'll still try to go for them.

By the way, what do the encounter rates mean on ninjascyther's guide on the front page? Like Bidoof is 60%, does it mean Bidoof appears in a chain 60% of the time?

Skibob

BUCKET
Chaining is getting very unpredictable for me. I tried Wingull and Mareep and both end abruptly after I get to like 30. This gets frustrating, but I think I'll still try to go for them.

By the way, what do the encounter rates mean on ninjascyther's guide on the front page? Like Bidoof is 60%, does it mean Bidoof appears in a chain 60% of the time?

I'm pretty sure the 60% means that that's just the regular appearance rate of the Pokemon when trying to START a chain. Makes sense to me.
I could be wrong, though.

EDIT: Holy cow. I was having awful luck with my chains breaking, but I decided to try the Larvitar one more time. I got the chain to 41 and lo and behold a shiny patch appears. I caught it. Better yet, my Synchronizer worked and she has Adamant nature and good IV's. Guess I'll go EV train it.

Last edited:

beals1

Oh Pokeradar, how you spite me. I got a Nincada chain up to 35, and then I accidentally ran into a patch when I was trying to reset the radar. Gah.

I keep switching back and forth between Nincada, Misdreavus, and Gastly, and sometimes I do Miltank if it shows up before Gastly. Running into the same one for too long bores me, so after a chain breaks I normally need to change, haha. Hopefully my swarm tomorrow will be something good.

EDIT: I got a shiny Miltank! For some reason, the Miltank was really easy for me to chain. So I got up to 40 pretty quickly, but that first shiny took forever to appear! My chain's at 41, and I may go for a few more tomorrow, but right now I'm really tired for some reason. I'm so happy :)

EDIT2: Rattata just broke my Krabby change, which was at 36. That's damaging to the ego. I think I've gotten too obsessed with radar-ing too fast, lol.

Last edited:

Zandor

Grand Trainer
I haven't tried to chain yet in Pearl, but I plan to try and chain 2 Shinx, both a male and female with the male having an Adamant nature and the female with a Jolly nature.

Wish me luck hen I do this you guys since I may need all the luck that I can get.

The appearance rate is directly linked to the chance of that pokemon appearing to start a chain, but it is also pivotal throughout the entirety of the chain.

Whenever you use the radar, 4 patches are generated (though some may land out of grass and not be visible) right? Well the appearance rate determines how many of those 4 patches contain the chained pokemon (chain continues) and how many contain other pokemon on that route (chain breakes). The chained pokemon can appear in 0,1,2 or 3 of the 4 patches generated.

Here are 13mjvr's estimations of the connection between appearance rates and patches containing the chained pokemon:

13mjvr said:
a. 24% or less chance of appearance pokemon: Chained pokemon in 0-1 tiles.
b. 25-49% chance of appearance pokemon: Chained pokemon in 1-2 tiles.
c. 50-74% chance of appearance pokemon: Chained pokemon in 1-3 tiles.

The higher the apearance rate the more patches that contain the chained pokemon, and the easier it is to choose a good patch. With low appearance rate pokemon, the chained pokemon may be in 1 of the patches, or none at all, making it very easy to screw up. ;123;

Status
Not open for further replies.