• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Catching Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar - READ FIRST POST

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
That is a 4,0 patch and i never enter those as 4 aways in any direction up,down,left or right from the chracter are high chance of breaking the chain.

I go for 4,3 or 4,2 patches as these are deemed the safest to enter.

What about 4,1 Patches?
I always go into them and never had problems with it unless it was an isolated one.

A wild JohnNiles appears!

I see that everyone has been busy, and it looks like this is Eevee week, which is good timing for me. I have to say I'm skeptical about some of the claims- switching pokemon breaking chains and 4/0 tiles breaking chains. Switching your lead pokemon makes it more likely that you put a low-level pokemon near the front by mistake; I did this once. And I usually go right for 4/0 tiles (assuming no other rules are violated) because their distance is easy to judge. I think if it were a bad idea, I would be punished for it a lot more than I am.

After that, I got the hankering to chain Eevees. The chains kept breaking early, but I did get a lucky encounter on the 2nd link in the chain!

http://imgur.com/YuGFi
http://imgur.com/B4SIR
http://imgur.com/vhKfc

Then I went back to the Trophy Garden, with 2 Synchronize Abras, a Scyther with False Swipe, a Gengar, and a Dragonair (cause I wanted to level it). Since I'd only spoken to the mansion owner once before, Eevees were still available. I tried all sorts of things, even going back to the analysis at the start of the thread, and nothing worked. In the end, the choice that made the difference was switching from a plain starting patch to a sparkly starting patch. After all, Eevee is an unusual kind of spawn, right?

By the time I hit 35, I was convinced the chain would break for no reason at all. I was planning to stop at 39 and use a shiny patch to complete the chain, but 20 repels later I lost patience and went for a patch. Terrified, I had to look away... success! Now it was just a matter of patience and not slipping up (plus praying thunderstorms wouldn't materialize and threaten my charging DS, which they didn't).

Of course, because of the way I started, glittering patches were plentiful, which made spotting shiny patches that much harder. I had to watch for the longer pulse to catch them, and a few of the patches appeared at the very upper left corner, so I was terrified that the chain would break due to the edge rule (no visible patches). But I was fortunate, and I worked my way from 400 Max Repels at the 40th link to the very last one. edit: I started that chain on Tuesday afternoon and didn't finish until Friday morning.

http://imgur.com/OuO0J
http://imgur.com/tPC4E
http://imgur.com/SWr68

I don't think I'm going back there for a very long time. I need to sort my catches, figure out which games to distribute them to and what to evolve them into. Synchronize worked really well and there were no neutral natures, so I have plenty of options. (Advice is appreciated- I'm not planning to battle competitively though). I used Luxury balls on most of them too.

Now if someone could give me the patience to do soft resets... or make it possible to chain Regis.

WoW that's good. I'm jealous. Each time I tried to chain at the Trophy Garden my chain breaks at 10. sob...

I always chain at Lake Acuity for Snorunts and it works just fine. Since I was eager to get a Snorunt I tried getting one at 20. Yeah I know it may not work. In the end I somehow got up to 37 Chains in which I managed to find a Shiny one in the end. I only go into the patched in which I deemed safe. At that time I didn't know that 4,0 patches were dangerous. Guess I was lucky. As soon as I caught and saved it I went all out risking myself to get to the 40th chain.

I finally did. It might be luck because when I tried to catch a Duskull or Chansey my chain always breaks at the 30s.
Is it ok to chain a shiny at around 30?
What are the chances of finding one?

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Whew, I finally got a new shiny Drowzee! That completely replaces all the chained shinies I lost when I lost three of my Pokemon games a few months back. Unfortunately, that shiny Steelix still eludes me. I'm in White trying to hatch a brand new shiny Onix with the Masuda method. No luck so far, but I loved that Steelix, so I won't give up so easy.

JohnNiles

Wow! Congratulations! How many shiny eevee did you get in the end? I haven't dared go to chain that. I assume you'd need a ton of patience just to FIND eevee let alone get the chain to 40 and THEN get a shiny to show for it.

I have not had much luck lately with my chaining. I went for the absol outbreak but i cannot work out what went wrong, i went to the 4 aways and even one that were not safe ones early in the chain at like 5 but the chains never got past 20 and usually with the outbreaks i can at least get the chain to 40 and get one or two shinies. Is it just me having trouble with Absol? Maybe it is something to do with it being related to disasters that is why it won't let me get the shiny lol. I tried chaining wingull and nidoran F and the chains kept breaking.

However to pick up on your changing patch type. I did that with a few chains and with my most recent shiny chaining of smoochum. I found it was easier to keep the chain going after i switched from the normal patch to the sparkly ones. Strange but it has happened a few times now where they kept breaking on the normal ones but as soon as i change to sparkly ones the chain gets to 40. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this in a FAQ anywhere but could there be something in the programming about this? like on certain days sparkly patches are better or is it just luck?

I think i have chained the high % appearance pokemon now(well those in the easiest places to chain anyway). I find the high % pokemon easier to chain and i mean in the 4 away patches they keep the chain going longer so it is easier to get to 40 whereas those with say 20% appearance break the chains a lot more. Has anyone else found this?

Anyway congratulations again on your success and may it continue.

19. Yes, it's true that starting the chain and getting it to 40 is harder. After that, it's just preparation, patience, and hoping the chain doesn't break if you get a shiny patch on a grass edge. And taking long breaks.

I looked up the info on Absol because it doesn't swarm in Platinum. It seems like a normal swarmer- perhaps there's something about the rules you're applying?

I definitely believe that appearance % affects chain breakage rate. Otherwise, the only difference in chaining would be the time it takes to start the chain. Some of the contributors on the thread start believe this too. But what's not clear to me is if there are absolute safe scenarios, or if the success percentages are so high that the breaks are dismissed as anomalies. I hate relying on percentages- I find pseudo-random number generators to be streaky.

I'm confident enough in my ability to do the 40+% ones that I'm shocked if the chain does break, but I expect lots of breaks on low % ones. That's why I tighten up my criteria. For swarmers, I only worry about clashing tiles (plain vs. sparkly) landing on a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal line with the 4-tile. I don't worry too much about what the other 3 tiles do with each other. But for the Eevees, I made sure that NO tile landed on a horizontal/vertical/diagonal line with the 4-tile. That's about as strict as I can think of. I don't have much experience with 20% or lower, so my opinions may change as I try harder pokemon.

Not sure when choosing a certain type of starting patch matters. 13mjvr's guide (see thread start) has a strong preference for sparkly patches. I never needed them for swarms and they are distracting, so I will only try them if I go for pokeradar exclusives, GBA exclusives, and Trophy Garden exclusives. I want to rest for a bit so I may not be able to contribute much. @_@

WoW that's good. I'm jealous. Each time I tried to chain at the Trophy Garden my chain breaks at 10. sob...

I always chain at Lake Acuity for Snorunts and it works just fine. Since I was eager to get a Snorunt I tried getting one at 20. Yeah I know it may not work. In the end I somehow got up to 37 Chains in which I managed to find a Shiny one in the end. I only go into the patched in which I deemed safe. At that time I didn't know that 4,0 patches were dangerous. Guess I was lucky. As soon as I caught and saved it I went all out risking myself to get to the 40th chain.

I finally did. It might be luck because when I tried to catch a Duskull or Chansey my chain always breaks at the 30s.
Is it ok to chain a shiny at around 30?
What are the chances of finding one?

I want to get a shiny Frosslass badly, but I'm waiting till I'm ready to restart my game. I bred them in 5th gen since I wanted a good one and that was the quickest route.

Duskull is 10% and Chansey is 5%, so I'm not surprised that they break more often. I did chain Duskull, but since I was still unsure about what rules to follow, I probably lucked out the entire way.

The shiny % increase is posted at the beginning of the thread (under ninjascyther's links). It tops out at 2% spread out among all 4 patches, with the 39th link being 1%. That's why I usually lose patience and go straight to 40 despite the risk. I think it takes a long time to get near the max. What do you consider a high percentage? Like, at 1/1000, I would prefer to breed eggs so I can relax.

At 40, it takes me an average of 25(?) Max Repels to get a shiny. That's lower than expected, but visibility issues and fatigue probably make a difference. The longest I've ever waited is about 55-60 repels after maxing (the shortest is on the very next reset!). If it took, say, 100 repels, I would be climbing the walls. So really, it's your preference.

Whew, I finally got a new shiny Drowzee! That completely replaces all the chained shinies I lost when I lost three of my Pokemon games a few months back. Unfortunately, that shiny Steelix still eludes me. I'm in White trying to hatch a brand new shiny Onix with the Masuda method. No luck so far, but I loved that Steelix, so I won't give up so easy

I was working on 5th gen shiny Onix before I went on my latest binge (most of the other steel types are chainable). I'm at 500 eggs and counting. The hard part was getting a good foreign parent. I wanted a Golem with good stats and Heavy Slam, because Steelix does not learn good steel moves. So I kept putting up English Dittos on the GTS for (usually) foreign Golems, until I realized that breeders would be more likely to have spare level 1 Geodudes instead of Golems. Once I made the switch, it only took me a few tries to get a Japanese Geodude with some max IVs. I just hope I get one with Sturdy. Good luck with your own hatching.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Oh thank the lord, I finally managed to capture a Shiny Nosepass. I was chaining for one on Route 206 yesterday, and I found one in a sparkly patch of grass. I was so happy when it appeared, and I was even more excited when I was able to capture it inside of the first Great Ball that I tossed at it. I nicknamed it "Stone", and then I went off to Mt. Coronet, where I evolved it into a Shiny Probopass. I don't know what I'm going to chain for next, but I'm thinking that a Shiny Pikachu at the Trophy Garden might be a cool target.

Last edited:

Scrufox86

Oh thank the lord, I finally managed to capture a Shiny Nosepass. I was chaining for one on Route 206 yesterday, and I found one in a sparkly patch of grass. I was so happy when it appeared, and I was even more excited when I was able to capture it inside of the first Great Ball that I tossed at it. I nicknamed it "Stone", and then I went off to Mt. Coronet, where I evolved it into a Shiny Probopass. I don't know what I'm going to chain for next, but I'm thinking that a Shiny Pikachu at the Trophy Garden might be a cool target.

Congratulations!

I went for one of my swarms and it was pidgey again, i tried to get to 40 but it kept breaking. I don't know what i am doing wrong lately.

Anyway i do have a few questions for anyone to answer. I know magnet pull and static increase the chances of steel and electric pokemon respectively but how much is the increase exactly? (do magnemite/magneton work with both?) I read somewhere it is 50% of the usual appearance rate so a swarm pokemon would be 60% but then somewhere else says it adds 30% making the swarm pokemon go from 40% to 70% so what one is correct?

Oh another thing is, a list says that with magnet pull aron at fuego ironworks is 42% appearance rate but i read that normally aron has 22% appearance rate as it is a pokeradar exclusive pokemon. Therefore wouldn't it have 52% if 30% is added from magnet pull? and even if it is 50% of the appearance rate then 42% is still wrong as it'd be 33%

Could someone please give me the answers as i am really confused about these.

JohnNiles

It was a short break, and an unproductive one at that. x_X

I got the bright idea to test out the pokeradar on pokeradar exclusives, so I picked Bagon. I did some pretty crazy things, going for edge patches, going for patches when not all 4 were visible, then I got serious and got all the way to 38... and then the chain broke. Oh well.

I tried Tyrogue next. I don't like that map... it's harder than the Trophy Garden in a sense. The missing patches are more scattered and they bait me into going for bad tiles. I actually did get up to 40... then after a few repels I walked 1 more tile than I should've. ARRRGH. I spent the rest of the day breaking chains, one of them at 37, and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. My wrist is aching and it's time to wind down with some less stressful activities. Oh well.

SnugNBouncy

Everyday Im Snugglin
It was a short break, and an unproductive one at that. x_X

I got the bright idea to test out the pokeradar on pokeradar exclusives, so I picked Bagon. I did some pretty crazy things, going for edge patches, going for patches when not all 4 were visible, then I got serious and got all the way to 38... and then the chain broke. Oh well.

I tried Tyrogue next. I don't like that map... it's harder than the Trophy Garden in a sense. The missing patches are more scattered and they bait me into going for bad tiles. I actually did get up to 40... then after a few repels I walked 1 more tile than I should've. ARRRGH. I spent the rest of the day breaking chains, one of them at 37, and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. My wrist is aching and it's time to wind down with some less stressful activities. Oh well.

Awh keep it up bud. if you can consistently get your chain count up to around 40 you know youre doing something right!

Scrufox86

Hi everyone. I decided to go for a high % pokemon and one that i didn't do too well with and only got one shiny for. Anyway i don't know why but i forgot about route 222 only having Flaaffy in Diamond or pearl so i went in my pearl version to route 222 with a static pokemon and managed to get TEN shiny Flaaffy. I got bored after the tenth and the amount of time for the shiny patches was getting irritating. I now have Eleven shiny Flaaffy in total.

I checked the swarms of the day and on Diamond and platinum it is natu so won't be doing that. And in pearl it is dunsparce which i already have four shinies of and won't be going for anymore.

Anyway congratulations to everyone on thier new shinies. Keep searching to those not so lucky.

mycooly

Banned
Nope, never have never will

JohnNiles

Awh keep it up bud. if you can consistently get your chain count up to around 40 you know youre doing something right!

Well, thanks for the moral support. Unfortunately, after chaining to 37 and stopping, I finally spotted a shiny patch, but committed the cardinal sin of walking into the patch directly above me. Machop! Arrghh.

This was after moving to Diamond because of the higher % rate. Unfortunately the grass is rendered terribly there, so I was flying half-blind. Oh well. Curse my aching wrists...

Dragonyte

only recently found out about this and have tried but no success:(

highest i got to was 23 on shinx w/ static and then a bidoof appeared which is the usual case for me...

im jel.

JohnNiles

Finally, success! Counting all the failures, it took a week to finish chaining Tyrogue. I went back to Platinum because I couldn't see the grass on Diamond clearly enough. This time I plowed to 37 without stopping, then reset until I started getting shinies. The first one took 110+ repels, and I almost cracked and went for broke a couple times. But from then on it was smooth sailing.

The shiny patch appearance rate was all over the map. I'm still not convinced that the percentages are accurate. Maybe there was a nerf for Platinum? The pokemon pokeradar exclusive rates were adjusted down (22% -> 12%) so I don't think it's inconceivable. Had an adventurous time near the end- I thought I'd gotten my last one with 50 repels left, then on the very last repel, I got 2 consecutive patches.

I guess I'll sort them now; seems like Tyrogue's ability slot determines which unrelated ability the evolved form gets, so I'll balance that against good stats.

Needless to say, I am never going back there again. The map is only 9 squares wide and full of holes. There's also that guy hidden in the upper right corner. I had never actually battled him, so I tested fighting him after triggering the radar, and sure enough, he will break your chain. So I got him out of the way first.

Need a long, long break from chaining. I hope soft resetting works out for me.

http://imgur.com/mfDHx
http://imgur.com/19G33
http://imgur.com/6zWHy
http://imgur.com/I1Jgr
http://imgur.com/y0bzh

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I tried chaining for a Shiny Pidgey since I had a Pidgey swarm active today. I admit that I'm not too fond of Shiny Pidgey, but I did think that maybe I could evolve it into a Shiny Pidgeot, which I could then use as my "flier". I started chaining this morning, and I managed to make a lot of progress in a short period of time. I had to stop eventually since I had to go out for a bit, but I left my sister in charge of chaining. Sadly, she messed up and when I came back, I had to start all over again. I'm going to be chaining all day today, and maybe tomorrow if I don't find a Shiny Pidgey today.

$h1ny Hunter

<-- Future Target
I'm glad to see that the chaining thread is getting more and more popular. Hopefully it will stay permanently on the incline. I haven't chained in a while because I haven't had the time with a class I was taking, but its all done with now (I passed lol) so I'd like to get back into it. The last time I tried chaining, I had borrowed a friends Pearl version and was attempting Bagons. I got the chain up to 39 after about 15 tries before it broke on a suposedly safe patch. The same thing happened after another 5 tries when I got up to 40 on Bagons. I vowed that I will one day soon get that shiny Bagon with my own ID# and OT on it. No little Green Bagon will ever beat me haha :)

NinjaJesus

Johto Fanboy
hey guys!! i think im starting to get the hang of chaining!! about 2 weeks ago, ifinally chained my beloved tyrogue!! got 2, gave one to my bro (i did it on his plat.) and evolved mine into a pretty pink hitmontop:D. And yeserday... wow... i was not expecting that. The swarm was cubone, so i thought id give it a shot. i didnt expect anything good, but i was given a nice surprise!! my first chain i got went to 40 and i ended up with 11 shiny cubone. by far my most successful chain. ive only ever got multiple shinies from a chain on 3 occasions, ponyta (2), tyrogue (2) and now obviously cubone. I got 5 shinies in the matter of about 4 or 5 super repels, including two in a row. after those five, it ws a long dry streak, but eventually got my 6th, and then getting the rest in about average time. i am really happy with that chain. I left 2 on my bros game and took 9 to my white!!

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
I enjoy chaining, it's fun, and an easy way to get shinies. After many non successful attempts on my Diamond(Spoink, Mightyena, Spoink again, voltorb and dodou)on a chain of seven, I found my shiny Ponyta. I caught it in an ultra ball and named him Embershine. I'm currently chaining for a shiny Shinx.
~RaichuArcanine~​

Gliggles

Shiny Hunter
Hey everybody.

First post here guys. As you can see by my signature I'm a big fan of chaining so nice to see a site that talks about it openly.

Shame they haven't got the PokeRadar in Black and White!

Currently trying to chain for shiny Rhydon (Rhyperior looks amazing). I'd chained a lot of shinies on my old file (Beldum, Nosepass, Porygon, Medicham and Swablu just to name a few) but for some reason deleted them, I think because I got an AR not realising how big an element the pride was of earning them legit.

Anyway, I do use AR but I only hack it shiny if I legitly chain one, because that's the only time I feel it justified and chaining hoping for competitive shinies is cruel on oneself. :p

But yeah, going for a shiny Rhydon now. I got a chain of 40 two days ago and ran into a Weezing by accident, I was gutted.

Ausgirl

I tried chaining for the first time in like over a year and failed epically. I was chaining Bagon (20) when I ran into a Bibarel. Yeah I'm not a happy camper...