• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Catching Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar - READ FIRST POST

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Gliggles

Shiny Hunter
Takes a bit of practise but it's worth it. Having the patience is the hardest part!

Cutty

Forever now
This is my last chained shiny a month ago :p

shinyGirafarig.jpg

The sparkling patch appeared after at chain 4.
I wouldn't call it a successful chain nor lucky, since I have tried to chain this mons like years & always failed. Well, eventually an early sparkling patch will appear. So not bad.
I might get another shiny Girafarig in Sapphire SZ, since I'm hunting there, if it doesn't run away of course.

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
I like chaining, it's the easiest method to get shinies though a lot of patience is required. Got my Shinx chain up to 49 last Thursday night, was broken by a Kricketot. I was not a happy camper. I'm chaining Delibird's right now, I love their shiny form and they're good training for my shiny Ponyta, Embershine. =)
~RaichuArcanine~​

Gliggles

Shiny Hunter
I've concluded that Rhydon hates me. Chain of 40 then accidentally ran into a patch different than what I was chaining when resetting the radar and found a Weezing that broke it (go figure the 5% chance of Weezing works, not the 20% of another Rhydon nor the 2% of a shiny every god damn time I reset the radar). Then got another chain to 38 broken by Skarmory in what I was almost positive was a safe patch, and now trying again and at a chain of 12 so far. This is like my 4th day of chaining Rhydon, if shiny Rhyperior didn't look so good I'd have stopped by now.

shiny13

<-- Current Target
Chaining is awesome ,ive chained a few pokemon but i can't seem to get a abra chain (got it to 39 once,and found a shiny patch at 23 but forgot it new teleport T.T)

And Gliggles why don't you try to chain rhyhorn instead ,i think its much easier despite being harder to find at first

Btw does anyone know any cool/strong chainable pokemon? kind of ran out of ideas

Ballistic Buizel

caught shiny lati@s
I've concluded that Rhydon hates me. Chain of 40 then accidentally ran into a patch different than what I was chaining when resetting the radar and found a Weezing that broke it (go figure the 5% chance of Weezing works, not the 20% of another Rhydon nor the 2% of a shiny every god damn time I reset the radar). Then got another chain to 38 broken by Skarmory in what I was almost positive was a safe patch, and now trying again and at a chain of 12 so far. This is like my 4th day of chaining Rhydon, if shiny Rhyperior didn't look so good I'd have stopped by now.

I got a random wild shiny rhydon! :D Just spend 20+ hours in Victory Road and you're almost sure to find one! -.- I'd have to say, chaining it would be easier than the way I found mine -.-

Gliggles

Shiny Hunter
Haha, managed to chain 2 eventually. I have tried Rhyhorn's, but the 5% wasn't too appealing compared to Rhydon's 20% if I ran into a patch by accident. Shinies at 41 and 43. Chain broke at 48 or something because I got bored.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I didn't find the Shiny Pidgey that I was attempting to chain for the other day, so I moved on to chaining for a Shiny Spinda at Route 227. I really do like the green spots on Shiny Spinda, so I thought that I might as well try and see if I could locate one there. Anyway, I got there this morning and I started chaining around. I spent about half an hour chaining, but I didn't spot any sparkling patches of grass. I've stopped chaining for the time being, but I'll resume the hunt when I get back from my errands.

shiny13

<-- Current Target
Ya finally got that shiny abra (sync didn't work T.T), going after geodude next ,despite golem being nothing more than a much much weaker rhyperior I still like it :p , im glad you were able to chain those 2 ,do they have the right ability ?

JohnNiles

You guys who chain non-shiny patches beyond 40 are really bold. o_o

Over the weekend, I tried chaining my first GBA cartridge pokemon- Pineco. Got to 37 and mysteriously broke the chain. I was steamed. Tried Scyther after that- its appearance rate tops out in the morning (4-10 am) and nosedives during the day. I had no idea Scyther was a morning person. I'm certainly not. -_- Couldn't get any long chains going, so I gave up.

The swarm of the day was Larvitar, so I went with that. It's not exactly one of my favorites, but it has decent power and I needed something to boost my confidence. I've been pretty jittery lately, even with swarms. I got 3 shinies, but the last one was an edge patch, and the chain broke. Oh well.

Started off the next morning bright and early on Scyther again with a huge headache. I half expected the chain to break right before 10 am but it held out. I got not one, but two early patches (at 25 and 30). Since I already had 2 shinies under my belt, I decided to stop short at 36 and not take too many risks. I got a few more quick ones, then some epicly long waits (100 and 80 repels), and stopped once I'd gotten my fill.

There were a lot of duds since I was aiming for both Adamant nature and Technician ability, but I picked the best out of the lot, promptly evolved it and trained it. It'll go into my shiny pokewalker team. Definitely the most satisfying chain in quite some time.

Gliggles

Shiny Hunter
Glad to hear about your successes.

Two Spoink caught today at 40 and 42 (I think). Aiming for Krabby next (messed with the date) but this one is proving harder.

EDIT: First Krabby chain broke on 38 (owch), got another chain currently on 36 but I'm resting for a second before having to go up to my Dad's, where I'll then continue chaining. Choice Band Kingler will be fun in RU. :p

Last edited:

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
FFFFFFFFFFFF- I've been building several succesful chains these days, and now I decided to go for a Zangoose but, for some reason, I tried chaining it the whole morning but never got it higher than 17. WTF?!?!?!?

cpkmn23

Whatever
I've been trying to chain the past week (I've never tried it before) and I wasn't able to get past around 23, but last night I tried chaining shinx and managed to chain 40 and grab my first chained shiny :D I tried to get more but I lost concentration after the first shiny and ran into a bidoof by mistake. Hopefully I've got the hang of it now.

dertswa687o

So I decided I would chain Eevee again about a week ago. The first time I did it I got 2 shinies and then evolved my Adamant one into Espeon... so I decided I wanted MORE. I found an Eevee very quickly and then made it to 40 without a problem, again. I got 4 shinies and then proceeded to put the game into sleep mode. I haven't touched it for 4 or 5 days and it's been on the entire time, which hopefully isn't bad for my DS. I'm going to try and get as many as I can before I run out of max repels. I just need the motivation to go back and do it.

And I still can't chain Gastly or Ponyta successfully...

needsalimegreenespeon

Shine, Eevee, shine!
Ugh. I've started chaining after more than a year. I've gotten sooo tired of seeing normal Eevee after normal Eevee hatch. (3,800) So, to get back into chaining, I tried Shinx, with a static Pikachu. Both of them broke at 28, by a Budew and Bidoof. I Thunder'd them to defeat. Now, I'm going to try for Eevee's. Hopefully, it'll be a girl.

Scrufox86

Hi. I've not had much luck for a while with pokeradar chaining.

I know there is a list with the best appearance rates and i've chained virtually all of them. I am wondering if anyone knows of anywhere with high appearance rates on D/P or Platinum in certain areas that are not on the list. Those on the list are mostly above 50% appearance rate but i chained wurmple in eterna forest with 30% so i'm wondering about 30%-50% appearence rate pokemon but it must be the highest percentage in that area. Does anyone know of anywhere. I know the very high % pokemon but i've not found anywhere with lists for the medium percentage pokemon.

I know that in platinum there are some areas with a smaller number of pokemon than in D/P so makes for better chaining.

JohnNiles

Hi. I've not had much luck for a while with pokeradar chaining.

I know there is a list with the best appearance rates and i've chained virtually all of them. I am wondering if anyone knows of anywhere with high appearance rates on D/P or Platinum in certain areas that are not on the list. Those on the list are mostly above 50% appearance rate but i chained wurmple in eterna forest with 30% so i'm wondering about 30%-50% appearence rate pokemon but it must be the highest percentage in that area. Does anyone know of anywhere. I know the very high % pokemon but i've not found anywhere with lists for the medium percentage pokemon.

I know that in platinum there are some areas with a smaller number of pokemon than in D/P so makes for better chaining.

I would just grab one of CAHowell's faqs on Gamefaqs and run through the entire walkthrough until you find something that appeals to you. They show all the percentages by area. Here's the one for Platinum:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/946308-pokemon-platinum-version/faqs/54062

Scrufox86

Hi all. I just wanted to say that i have managed to gain one shiny. A wingull. I have been so rubbish at chaining recently. I am glad a got a shiny though. My intended pokemon was glameow on route 222 as it is the best place to chain in the whole game being an 11 by 11 square.

It seems pretty quiet on here, i hope everyone else is having luck with thier shiny hunting.

So recently I've started chaining again after my victorious run with Shinx. I'm going after Machop now, and it's going...well, at this rate I'll get it faster than I got Shinx. I've noticed that when there are two patches right by each other, it's a good idea to reset. Also I'm sure many people know this already, but you should always, always go for a shaking patch that's exactly four tiles away from you. The only time that you can neglect this is early in the chain when it doesn't really matter if it breaks. Oh, and I did this:

The Chaining Song (to the tune of "Pain" by Three Days Grace) said:
Chain, it kicks my ***
Chain, search in the grass
Chain, it broke much too fast
Now I'm in a rut, better try it again...

I'm sick of pressing Y
No more, I'd rather die
I just want a shiny Shinx
I can only get to ten because hope's a jinx

I think I'll try that patch
Thought it worked, but it broke, natch
Why did this have to be
The only way for shines to come to me?

Chain, it kicks my ***
Chain, it kicks my ***

I tried to chain Minun
I must say that wasn't fun
Don't get me started on
The asinine rarity of Magneton

Just now, I hit fifteen
Soon I'll get to twenty-three
But then it comes apart
I find a level four Starly, now I've gotta restart

Chain, it kicks my ***
Chain, it kicks my ***

This game (This game, this game, this game)
This game's killing my soul
This time (This time, this time, this time)
I think I'll break thirty
Why do (Why do, why do, why do)
Why do Bidoof exist?
Next time (Next time, next time, next time)
Next time I'll try MMing

Chain, it kicks my ***
Now I'm in a rut, better try it again
In a rut
Chain, it kicks my ***
Chain, it kicks my ***
I'm now in a rut, I'd better try it again...
In a rut...

I just thought it would be fun. It was.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I resumed chaining for a Shiny Spinda yesterday, but it wasn't until today that I got lucky and a Shiny Spinda appeared in a sparkling patch of grass. I wasn't really paying attention to the number of chains that I had completed, but it appeared 5 minutes before sunset on Route 227, and I was so happy. I captured it inside a Repeat Ball, and I nicknamed it "Jenny" for no particular reason (I just wanted to give it a nickname). This is my 17th chained Shiny overall, and the 4th one that I've found on Pearl version.