• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Catching Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar - READ FIRST POST

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

PokemonTrainerKaden

Iv never been good at chaining.

JohnNiles

I finally chained my first shiny that requires a GBA cartridge plugged in: Pineco. The degree of difficulty isn't the hardest I've done, but doing it on a DS lite with a keypad worn out from hatching made things take longer. The smaller screen makes it tougher to pick out the patches too.

My first encounter was actually a lucky encounter at 6... but it blew up in my face. It was level 6... I wouldn't have guessed it had Self-Destruct as a starting move. So I grabbed a Psyduck with Damp to make absolutely sure they wouldn't blow up on me. After all the breaks last time, I decided to stop pushing my luck at 35 and start resetting. The first two came after a reasonable number of tries... then I hit a dry spell. 120 max repels later, I lost patience and went for an ideal-looking normal patch and continued the chain (thankfully). But I didn't get another shiny until 60 repels after that. In fact, I didn't max out the chain until I had 60 repels left. The IVs are terrible across the board, but I'll live with it.

I can now seriously think about putting together an all-shiny team for my pokewalker. Need to pick some that aren't weak to fire.

Scrufox86

Hello everyone.

I've been stuck on chaning for a while with things that have lower appearance rates so just decided to go for shiny shinx again. Anyway i have made a record for myself, i managed to keep the chain going all the way to 40 and then i captured 51 shiny shinx before i ran out of super/max repels (i started the chain on friday 12th and it lasted 6 days). I am very happy because although i doubt i will ever match or break this record of 51 from a single chain i just find it hilarious i found that many shiny patches after such an irritating few weeks before where i couldn't get the chains past 20 to even reset for shiny patches.

I hope everyone else is having good success with thier shiny hunting.

[EDIT-11:38am] - Hey i forgot to ask something about chaining. Well i've heard people being successful with GBA cartridge slots and i was wondering how easy/difficult those pokemon are to chain? (I've had trouble chaining anything with 20% or less appearance rate) I'm going to start doing the GBA slot pokemon soon as i have virtually done all of the swarms and high % appearance rate pokemon. Thanks in adavcne for any help.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Congrats on the green spotted bear KIRA!

Thanks! I'm quite fond of Shiny Spinda, so I thought I'd try and find one. I actually transferred it over to Black version since that's where most of my personal Shinies are.

Iv never been good at chaining.

I've had trouble chaining as well. In fact, I make mistakes all the time. And for some reason, my most common mistake is forgetting to use Repel so that I don't accidently encounter another wild Pokemon while I'm moving around the tall grass.

after much work.. 3 or 4 shiny BELDUMS :D

I could never chain for Shiny Beldum. I think they look amazing, but I don't have the patience necessary to capture those things; it took me 30 minutes to capture a normal Beldum, so imagine how long it would take me to capture a Shiny one.

JohnNiles

Hello everyone.

[EDIT-11:38am] - Hey i forgot to ask something about chaining. Well i've heard people being successful with GBA cartridge slots and i was wondering how easy/difficult those pokemon are to chain? (I've had trouble chaining anything with 20% or less appearance rate) I'm going to start doing the GBA slot pokemon soon as i have virtually done all of the swarms and high % appearance rate pokemon. Thanks in adavcne for any help.

It's 8 percent for GBA slots- that's somewhat difficult.

As for myself, I've been away for a while- took a long break from chaining, then got pulled into jury duty. I'm not doing so hot. -_- I decided to chain for some swarms that don't appear on Platinum. I got a Pidgey, then my thumb spasmed and I walked right into a 1-tile. I screamed Oh well, it's only a Pidgey. After that, I went back to Platinum for some Electabuzz.

I just crapped out on the 38th link going for Nosepass. I got greedy and thought I could get to a natural 40. Too bad I misread the tiles and walked directly up because I thought I was safe. -_- I may wait a while before I chain on Diamond again, lest I smash my cartridge in a fit of rage. (The map is awful too.) What idiot thought the original grass design was good? It's hell on the eyes, and I'm sick of it.

Was thinking of restarting my game, but then I realized with soft resetting for legendaries, it'd take me forever to finish the game and start chaining again.

TheAceGlaceon

Statu variabilis
I hate chaining Pokémon. I tried it twice, I tried to chain Floatzel and Starly. I was behind my DS for an hour. I spent a whole hour doing nothing, really, than moving my thumb and watching at a screen how my chain broke over and over again. I am never going to do THAT again, that's for sure.

Scrufox86

Hello everyone. I haven't chained in a while since my massive Shiny shinx collection. Well i am not sure what to chain now. I've only got a few swarms left and i am not too fussed with them to be honest, Drowzee and Surskit are not very good anyway as the 40% for surskit is pointless with bidoof and starly having higher % and drowzee is in such a rubbish area.

I'm a little stuck on what to chain now. I suppose there are some radar exclusives i have not gotten shinies of yet. I have tried for shiny nidoran females many times though and got nothing. And i am sure i have tried Torkoal numerous times also. May have to try them again and hopefully get lucky.

JohnNiles

It's been a while- I had some successes and plenty of failures. I tried chaining Snorunts at the lake near Snowpoint- even though the area is massive, the snowy background is too bright and makes it hard to see. Also, the 20% appearance rate is not that great and they only come out at night. So I gave up after a few failures.

I tried chaining Bagons yet again. The map is terrible because it's too narrow vertically and there is an obstructed row, which is not safe to run into. As a pokeradar exclusive, Bagons are hard to chain, so I was hoping for a lucky early appearance. Eventually, I gave up and moved onto something else.

I chained Pichus with Static to build up my confidence. I'm not fond of the Trophy Garden map, but it's not the worst map I've chained on. I also took a half-hearted stab at chaining Happiny, but the appearance rate is low and I already had Eevees active on the map. The experience rate is great though, so I might try again later.

I tried Bagons once more and finally succeeded after many failed attempts. I'm not sure why it worked this time, but I paid closer attention to the tiles and always reset if I couldn't get a good look at all 4 tiles. I stopped short of 40 because of the risks- I was aiming for 36, then gave in and chained up to 38 and got my first Bagon shortly after. The gap between shinies was much longer than average- probably due to that obstructed row. But I didn't break my chain until a shiny 4-patch on an edge with 30 repels left, so I'm very happy with how I did. I hope to never go back there ever again.

I may put up pictures later, but they're nothing impressive.

cpkmn23

Whatever
I'm relatively new at chaining. I'm getting better at it. After my first successful chain (Shinx) I tried all sorts of other Pokemon and struggled to get past the 20s. I went back to Shinx in frustration and chained them easily with the help of my Pikachu's static. I then decided to chain Ponyta and grabbed a shiny at a chain of 18. Super happy about that. I'm making fewer mistakes as I go on, so hopefully there'll be more shinies to come.

Scrufox86

Hello everyone. Just an update on my shiny hunting. Well i managed to successfully chain Aron after so many failed attempts. I got an early shiny patch at 36 and then i managed to obtain 17 more shinies before deciding to break off the chain myself as i had so many and was bored of the waits between shiny patches.

I hope everyone else has had some luck wth thier shinies?

Mochii

キラキラ☆
How much I tried to learn how to use the Pokéradar. I never understood it. :l
I suck at chaining. xD

DarkOverlord777

The Dragon Mage
i think my game hates me.i cant even chain starlys!!!!ive never made up to 40.but maybe i just have insanely bad luck.

Last edited:

jjhmmc

Land Shark Trainer
I was hunting a gible in wayward cave and came across a random shiny bronzor i was really confused and p.o'd it wasn't a shiny gible

JohnNiles

It was a bit of a struggle chaining this week. I chained a few Slakoth because it was the daily swarm.
http://imgur.com/6qS7J
http://imgur.com/PkBRA

After that I tried Ponyta again and failed several times- the last time in the high 30's. Ugh. I must've been too aggressive. An appearance rate of 35% didn't help more than 20-25%. I wouldn't have choked like that with a swarming pokemon.

I took another crack at Snorunts (20%, night only) for the Frosslass I wanted badly before the local con takes place. I had a lot better luck this time, even doing most of the chaining while on the phone, and planned to start resetting from 37 but quickly lost patience and went up to 39. I used up every last repel and got my last Snorunt with 0 repels to go, earning Snorunt 3rd place on the chaining pedestal. Too bad all the Synch'ed females had terrible IVs. :(
http://imgur.com/gGJKY
http://imgur.com/4UAxa

Nightdawn

Gamer Since 1987
I don't like chaining,
Shiny Pokemon should be about getting something as a treat, not as a occupation.
I know that some people never got one, but it's tradeable now.
They can remove in game short cuts.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I found a Shiny Wingull in Platinum version this morning while I was chaining around Route 213. I had been chaining in the area for 2 hours, and I was surprised when a patch of grass started to sparkle. I walked into it, and a Shiny Wingull appeared there. I was really happy since I like the green color on Shiny Wingull's sprite. I captured the chained Shiny Wingull inside a Quick Ball, and I nicknamed it "Wings" since I didn't have any better names in mind for it. I'm probably not going to train this Shiny, but I will be transferring it to Black version soon.

Golemite

I don't like chaining,
Shiny Pokemon should be about getting something as a treat, not as a occupation.

I agree. Also I fail to see how there are dozens and dozens of these supposedly rare-colored individuals living in only one grassy area after all, and passing-by trainers not seeing them until they've gotten heck of a many hints from PokéRadar. One could think that one glimpse at a little Pokémon habitat could tell you there are absolutely no shinies in there, or one at maximum. I see chaining believable with only Pokémon like Diglett that mainly cannot be seen above the ground, so, who knows how many of different color there are living underground. Other Pokémon you tend to see all the time, though, and you see no shinies. So how come a gadget suddenly make shinies appear in such amounts it's ridiculous?

Luckily the game doesn't force us to use PokéRadar, so it's actually alright with me anyway. I can still get my shinies fair and square, and that I'll keep on doing. :)

(I've tried chaining, and I could do that. It just didn't feel right. :D)