• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Catching Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar - READ FIRST POST

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date

Mark_Chaos

WARP EVOLUTION!
Ugh.

Chain of Pachirisu broke on 39.

Chain of Girafarig broke on 35.

And today, a chain of Ralts broke on 38.

All broken on a patch that was four away and looked perfectly fine.

I'm beginning to think my game hates me. :B

Well, even if it's 4 squares away, you have a high chance of finding the same pokemon, and a low chance of finding a different pokemon.

Here's a couple of things to know:
1. Go for squares (from where you used the pokeradar and pokemon battles) 4x0, 4x1, and/or 4x2. <-- These have a high chance of not breaking a chain.
2. Never go for squares next to each other.
3. Never walk up because your character blocks the square.
4. Rows 1, 2, and 3 have a high chance of breaking your chain.

Hopefully you know this.

rekreatur

Well, even if it's 4 squares away, you have a high chance of finding the same pokemon, and a low chance of finding a different pokemon.

Here's a couple of things to know:
1. Go for squares (from where you used the pokeradar and pokemon battles) 4x0, 4x1, and/or 4x2. <-- These have a high chance of not breaking a chain.
2. Never go for squares next to each other.
3. Never walk up because your character blocks the square.
4. Rows 1, 2, and 3 have a high chance of breaking your chain.

Hopefully you know this.

I'd assume the person already knows that if they got to the high 30's.

Well, I caught the last Shiny with my Pearl before restarting the game; Skitty. Again. I love to chain those little buggers whenever they swarm on route 222 since they're so easy to get. I caught just one because I couldn't be bothered to reset the radar anymore and I was running low on Max Repels. It turned out to be Bold, unfortunately.

ToonLinkBrawler

Legendary Hunter
How are you chaining for Chikorita?

Shaymingal

Sparkling Sea
I don't know how im chaining for a chicorita infact i don't know what im chaining for! but I hope its a chicorita XD yes i know you cant chain for a chicorita

pandafoxygirl

Wow this must be so cool but there are other things you can do to find a shiny pokémon without using cheats altough the one I use is a bit more complicated. The only thing you have to do is finding twenty times in a row the same pokémon and the twentiest encounter will be a shiny one, it really works because I got a shiny Psyduck doing that :D

Ammako

Wow this must be so cool but there are other things you can do to find a shiny pokémon without using cheats altough the one I use is a bit more complicated. The only thing you have to do is finding twenty times in a row the same pokémon and the twentiest encounter will be a shiny one, it really works because I got a shiny Psyduck doing that :D

Well...
This is why this thread is about POKÉRADAR.

But when you get to 20, it will not automatically be a shiny.

Great thread, really helpful.

i'm going to hunt for shiny beldum soon. any tips on making chaining in the sandstorm easier? i know to use magnet pull, but it's still nearly impossible to see any patches

Great thread, really helpful.

i'm going to hunt for shiny beldum soon. any tips on making chaining in the sandstorm easier? i know to use magnet pull, but it's still nearly impossible to see any patches

There are one or two things you can do..
- If you are using a DS lite/DSi, then set the screen brightness to maximum and play in a darkened room to minimise distracting reflections and improve screen visibility.
- Secondly, try to start the chain with the uncommon shaking patches (those with the small yellow-ish flecks) as these are more visible in the Sandstorm. You will still have to try and watch out for the common shaking patches however, so that you don't accidentally run into one whilst chaining.
- Finally, for in the event that you do actually find a Shiny patch, try to have a Master Ball handy. Beldum's catch rate is a miserable 3, which is equal to that of a majority of the Legendaries in these games, such as the lake trio. Also consider that as they only have the move Take Down, it's 20 PP will quickly become depleted and they will end up using Struggle, consequently KOing themselves due to recoil damage if the battle goes on for too long (plus the Sandstorm wears down your own Pokémon if they aren't immune to it).
Because of these points, it can be very difficult capture one in a weaker type of ball.

It is not impossible to chain here in Diamond and Pearl, I can say that from experience, but it is much harder than Platinum for sure.

I attempted to chain for the first time since last year, and I think I've got a good start again. I managed to chain 18 Starlies and 22 Bidoofs, though both times the chain mysteriously ended while I was resetting the radar (due to the fact that there were no spots because my last patch was next to a wall). Did I do something wrong?

StevenH1107

Directive?
Haven't chained since May, I seen that there was a shiny pichu event in Japan at the time and thought, I want a shiny Pichu, so went and got one. Highest chain I ever had was 104 Voltorb. I really dislike how chaining is so luck dependant, but it's all part of the challenge I suppose, many a time have I gotten to 40 and just lost concentration. Most gutting of those being a 40 eevee chain. Painful, but I did keep trying and eventually got a shiny eevee. It's now a leafeon, I regret that decision. It's a rubbish shiny, lol.

Also, I'd recommend once you pass 10 or so, never go for patches on the edge. Unless of course they're shiny. :p

Last edited:
There are one or two things you can do..
- If you are using a DS lite/DSi, then set the screen brightness to maximum and play in a darkened room to minimise distracting reflections and improve screen visibility.
- Secondly, try to start the chain with the uncommon shaking patches (those with the small yellow-ish flecks) as these are more visible in the Sandstorm. You will still have to try and watch out for the common shaking patches however, so that you don't accidentally run into one whilst chaining.
- Finally, for in the event that you do actually find a Shiny patch, try to have a Master Ball handy. Beldum's catch rate is a miserable 3, which is equal to that of a majority of the Legendaries in these games, such as the lake trio. Also consider that as they only have the move Take Down, it's 20 PP will quickly become depleted and they will end up using Struggle, consequently KOing themselves due to recoil damage if the battle goes on for too long (plus the Sandstorm wears down your own Pokémon if they aren't immune to it).
Because of these points, it can be very difficult capture one in a weaker type of ball.

It is not impossible to chain here in Diamond and Pearl, I can say that from experience, but it is much harder than Platinum for sure.

thanks, i'll try it. i was aware of beldum's catch rate, but i don't want to use a master ball. correct me if i'm wrong, but if you put out a ghost pokemon though, won't take down do no damage, therefore dealing no recoil off of Take Down, right? what i plan on doing is sending out gengar or something, having it know Hypnosis. i'll use hypnosis to put it to sleep, therefore it will be easier to catch and won't be able to use its move. if it wakes up, gengar won't take any damage, therefore dealing no recoil. i'm guessing it won't even get to Struggle until 50 moves in, 20 for using take down, 30 asleep. by then the repeat ball should do the trick. if not, i have terrible luck.

Last edited:

COD

Hello, I'm new to here. I was wondering something about shiny pokemon using the pokeradar. Today I caught I shiny absol at chain 3, but it was a regular patch of shaking grass that it appeared from, not the glowing one. Was this related to the pokeradar or was it a random encounter?

thanks, i'll try it. i was aware of beldum's catch rate, but i don't want to use a master ball. correct me if i'm wrong, but if you put out a ghost pokemon though, won't take down do no damage, therefore dealing no recoil off of Take Down, right? what i plan on doing is sending out gengar or something, having it know Hypnosis. i'll use hypnosis to put it to sleep, therefore it will be easier to catch and won't be able to use its move. if it wakes up, gengar won't take any damage, therefore dealing no recoil. i'm guessing it won't even get to Struggle until 50 moves in, 20 for using take down, 30 asleep. by then the repeat ball should do the trick. if not, i have terrible luck.

I don't like using a Master Ball either, but when faced with the choice of having a Shiny Beldum caught in the said Ball, or having no Shiny at all due to being unable to catch it, it should be clear as to which decision to make.
Bring one, and if all starts to go pear-shaped, then at least you will have an optional last resort to capture it.

A Ghost-type Pokémon will prevent the Beldum from taking or dealing any damage from Take Down, although you'd better give Gengar a Leftovers/Black Sludge to counteract the damage from the Sandstorm on that route, or use Sunny Day/Rain Dance to nullify it completely. Equip the a Wide Lens to help with Hypnosis' lower accuracy if you choose the latter option.

.. I've tried this method before; it is nowhere near guaranteed, but is probably the best approach to the situation.

Hello, I'm new to here. I was wondering something about shiny pokemon using the pokeradar. Today I caught I shiny absol at chain 3, but it was a regular patch of shaking grass that it appeared from, not the glowing one. Was this related to the pokeradar or was it a random encounter?

A Shiny Pokémon appearing in a normal shaking patch of grass is indeed a random (1/8192 chance) Shiny encounter.

Last edited:

PokeShinyHuntJack

Back....Again
My swarm was Farfetch'd for 3 days in a row, decided not to go for it, yesterday my swarm was Snubbull, chained 3 got 2 female 1 male.

Not good natures, today i decided on chaining ralts so i have a Syncher in every nature, if i get it to 40 i will go for s shiny patch instead of carrying on.

I have caught 15 different pokemon using the pokeradar and 27 in all.