• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Catching shiny pokemon with the pokeradar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ground tamer

Hahahahahaha
Heres a better guide on chaining. It is easier to understand and it has a colored gride.

Ground Tamer and all who've reached a chain of 40 or more and not seen a shiny - once you hit 40, stop going into shaking patches! There's no reason you should need to encounter anything other than a shiny patch at this point unless you want to get a high chain count. Not trying to sound mean, just feel bad hearing of people who got so high in a chain, but didn't get a shiny. I'm currently on a ponyta chain and have gotten a shiny at 41, 42, 43 and 44. I got 12 tyroges the same way. The shinies will appear, you just need to reset the radar and be patient.

I've been chaining for a while and learned a lot from reading Shuko and Pokerealm's posts, guides and videos. Here are some tips to help folks who are having trouble:

o Buy hundreds of Max Repels. Once you have a chain at 40 you don't want to run out. I usually start chaining with over 300. Money is easy to get using the VS Seeker on the rich folks near the mansion. Keep battling them until you have enough to buy lots of Max Repels.

o Each time you are in a grass space and activate the pokeradar imagine this grid around you (with you being 0 in the center):

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

Four spaces are chosen to be shaking spaces. One in the 1 area, one in 2, one in 3 and one in 4. (If you want to verify this, watch some videos on youtube and pause it during the shaking.) Those four spots chosen to shake may or may not land in grass. If where you're standing causes any part of the grid to be on a non-grass space there is a chance you won't see four shaking grasses as some may end up in non-grass spots.

This is why the chain can break if you're near an edge. If all four chosen spaces land on non-grass spaces your chain will end. This would explain why you really do need to stay at least one space away from a wall or edge so you're guaranteed to get at least one grass to shake in the 1 area and not break your chain. Remember you can always reset the radar if you don't like the shaking grasses available to you.

The above explains why sometimes people go into battle with the right type of pokemon, but it still breaks the chain. I think the next four spaces are chosen as you enter battle and if you are near an edge and the four land in non-grass areas, the chain breaks. It's happened to me, but not since I've followed these steps.

When building your chain to 40, the safest shaking grass to choose is one in the 4 area. It should shake in the same way as the first grass you went into in the chain. I like to choose the bright sparkle shaking grass as that is easiest to see. From what I can tell there are four types:
long no sparkle
sort dim sparkle
short bright sparkle
long bright pulsing sparkle <- shiny!

Try to reset the radar near the middle of the grass so that the 4 area will not land against a wall or edge. If the one in the 4 area has any non-grass area around it, don't choose it or you risk braking your chain on the next round of shakes. Just reset the radar. Be patient.

The next important thing is resetting the radar. Don't be afraid to do it often. You should have hundreds of Max Repels (see above) so don't skimp on using them. When resetting, stay a few spaces near where you last used the radar or you risk walking out of range and breaking your chain. I like to choose a row where no grasses shook and run back and forth three or four squares in each direction.

Once you hit 40, stop going into grasses unless it is a shiny pokemon. Just stay near the middle of the grass area and reset the radar. Run back and forth in a short range and reset again. Make sure not to walk into the space above your head unless you clearly saw 4 grasses shaking, otherwise you risk stepping into the wrong type of shaking grass if you didn't see one shake behind your character.

Most important of all, stop and take breaks when you're not concentrating fully. Just stop in the middle of a battle or when you reset the radar and need to walk more spaces. Close the lid on the DS and plug it in. You can keep a chain going for days. The ponyta chain I'm on now started several days ago. I just come back to it and continue resetting the radar for shinies when I have time. It may take 20 minutes or an hour between shinies, but they appear eventually.

This next is just a superstition on my part. If you're looking for a particular pokemon to start a chain and can't find it, try switching your lead pokemon to something else. I think certain pokemon in the lead cause you to encounter certain types more easily than others. Could be wrong, but it works for me.

Hope this didn't sound preachy. I just want to help everyone get more shinies. Hope this helps someone out there. Good luck to everyone,
Merbear

Last edited:

freedom-123

AAMayL supporter
Good job blueazulim. My first shint was on a chain of 9 with Meditite, so I thought chaining was easy too. Don't be fooled though, you and I both got really, really lucky there, as usually I don't see anything until I vigorously reset. :p

@Freedom-123: How are your B and C grasses both on 2? You have no grass shaking in the 1 area. Regardless of that, though, D was the best choice, but it's not always a 100% chance of continuing your chain.

if u chained long enough u will know the order of chain isnt always 1,2,3,4+ thats y sometimes 2-3 out of the 4 patches that shake surround u, and sometimes all patches are rly far and u cant tell difference between the right patch to take

eevee chain broke at 12 -_- becos i didnt lift my finger after resetting radar and walked straight into a bad patch -_____- now that was more shameful than the 33 chain

Actually, I have several 40+ chains and can safely say that I have NEVER been faced with a set of shakes that weren't in the "Area 1, 2, 3 and 4" set-up.

freedom-123

AAMayL supporter
go start another one then...and im sure i had more chains that reached 40+ and i have seen them, and look closely dont miss anything

shadow3944

The Legend Himself
lol. Got a chain of 30 Bidoofs EV training the Misdreavus. Got to 40 using my Garchomp. Reseted for a while and thought it wasn't worth my time so flew off. XD

Equusdiligo

A shiny Shiny
I just got my second pokeradar shiny today! It's a shiny jolly Larvitar. My first was a shiny Magnemite.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
I'm really getting frustrated. I've been following all the rules, I've been working at it for hours, but all my chains seem to break randomly. I got a chain of 31 Swablu tonight, but they usually break before I even hit 20. I wish someone could watch me and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Oh, also, if you wanna save on repels, you should save before you start chaining, and then restart after unsuccessful chains. I hardly ever have to buy repels.

Dragonking

Try waiting until there are 4 of the same shaking bushes. i know for Swablu it's in the sparkle bushes so keep resetting until that situation appears. Tell me if it works becauser it seems to work on normal bush shakes.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Yeah, I do wait for the sparkles, and in the longest chain I did, I was waiting for all the patches to shake the same. I've switched to Togepi for now, since the area of grass is larger. I don't know if it'll work though.

freedom-123

AAMayL supporter
zomg...someone gimme tips on eevee chains...i do the same as my other chains and this one keeps breaking around 20s and 30s...where as my other ones go to 40 and i start receiving shinies

shadow3944

The Legend Himself
Evolved the Misdreavus to Mismagius now that I'm done EV training it. I'm chaining Delibird and have a 20 chain going right now. And also training Mismagius with the lucky egg. (Lol. 1300 exp per delibird. XD)

~*DarkAbsol*~

run, i'll attack~~*
zomg...someone gimme tips on eevee chains...i do the same as my other chains and this one keeps breaking around 20s and 30s...where as my other ones go to 40 and i start receiving shinies

I suggest since eevee are hard to chain because they are rare i would start resetting between 30-35 it may take a little longer but you'll get one eventually ^-^

Marco612

-=Marco=-
I just watched Shuko's video yesterday and I tried it out. I kinda suck at it, the highest chain I have is a chain of 16 of Smoochums.

i can't seem to get a chain bigger than 8 in a row.

There's a swarm of smoochums at lake accuity, i'm there and the chai keeps on breaking after 8.

EDIT: (as i'm writing the origanal post) yay 10!

Rikku

you're so mean! :@:@
i chain another ralts today, i was paying attention while i am chaining,as i remember,my chain was at 10.run the grass that arent shining or glowing,when ralts appeared,it is blue colour and shiny.but it is wasnt on a shiny patch of grass,can someone tell why?

by the way i got two shiny ralts!

Marco612

-=Marco=-
I only got a shiny rapidash which I got before the pokeradar. And I want more shinies:'(

Status
Not open for further replies.