• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Caught in the Moment. (PG)

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Pinecone Tortoise said:
Urk. How disillusioning. Not exactly the way to make a new trainer feel special, is it? Needless to say, the atmosphere and description you've got here is gorgeous. You can really empathise with Amy - it's great to read a fic where the main character is so developed.

Aww, thank you. I love Amy too. She's a lovely character to work with. :)

As for the plot, I was a little disappointed not to meet her pokemon this chapter. Possibly you could have kept writing (this chappie wasn't THAT long. Or it didn't seem that long to me. Meh. Time flies when you're having fun.) but I suppose you wanted to leave us with a little cliffie, hmm? Just careful you don't drag it out too much.

I know, I know, but I have the next chapter dedicated to her pokémon, plus I wanted to keep this chapter focused on the journey there and the way she felt, as opposed having it clouded by her pokémon.

There were, however a few points that confused me a little. Derek had two Pidgeots, right? They were both his? Eh, I'm a sloppy reader, so I probably missed where it said.

Yes, they were. The first, the one Derek was flying on, was the first pokémon Derek ever caught. The second was also his.

Thank you for the comments, I'll change them around. :)

Apart from a few sticky points like that, this chapter was thoroughly awesome. Especially the flying part. ^^ So great work and as one of your readers I ask you to continue that work swiftly so that we can finally meet her pokemon! (But no need to rush. No pressure here. Take your time... but take it quickly! ... meh. @_@) Have fun!

Oh wow, thank you! I love the flying segment too, I had so much fun writing it. And, again, I have the following couple of chapters ready, but at this rate I'll run out of them in a week, haha.

Saffire Persian said:
Ah - so you prefer Pokémon less humanized, and more Animalized, eh? I respect that, and hope you continue to do a good job with it. I was wondering if she was going to go with a Chikorita, here, I thought she might just because she likes the thing, but I still do like how she went with a Totodile, instead.

I do. I tend to see the pokémon world as a 'real' world, where pokémon live in the wild much like animals live in our world.
Chikorita, yes, well I thought that Totodile would give it originality, and realism. See, I would choose a Totodile too, not because I love it, but because it's sensible. :)

Since it's Christmas Over here.. or tomorrow, to be more precise, I've made you a banner for your story.. XD I did have this Chikorita one, as I was betting she was going to choose it, but since it's that cute little crocodile.. I made a Totodile banner instead.

Oh, wow, it's gorgeous! Thank you so much! That's, like, fan-art! I've never had fan-art. ^^ I'll definately use it, thank you so much!

Oh, and, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Oh yeah! This is luuuuuuurverly!! It's not often you see a trainer fic get this great this quickly! The key to what you've got here is REALISM, I think. You actually take care to accurately portray what WOULD happen on a journey, not just what you WANT to happen in the fic. And IMO, you've done brilliantly.

Totodile - so cute and yet so stubborn. Funny, I'd kinda thought of them as cuddly li'l things. Y'know, the whole 'chubby little squeaking critter' thing. ^^;; Meh. And I like the way we don't really know whether Totodile is actually unhappy with his trainer or just being provocative.

Amy - you capture her fears and hopes so well. She's a truly believable character and it's easy to relate her.

Y'know what? I can't really find anything to criticise properly. Just a bunch of things to mention that you've done really well. ^^ So basically, I'd say PLEASE write the next chapter soon! I really wanna see what happens! Especially if Amy is going for her first capture! So great work, ton of congratulations on your latest masterful production and muchly urging to post again soon!

Piney.
;204;;324;

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Disclaimer: I do not own pokémon or any of its related enterprises. They are the property of their respective owners. This chapter was also beta'd by Farla.

-

Chapter Three: Capturing Greatness.​

It was dark outside, and she could see nothing except the lights of the house at the other side of the road. They flickered faintly under the force of the storm. Rain was beating heavily against the window, drops gliding down in remarkable patterns=, as her eyes followed them and she rested her elbows on the windowsill, head in hands. Now and then she could see a form make hastily its way across the road, most heading for the door a few meters away from her. Every time someone entered the centre she could feel the chill make its way through the room, as well as adding to the scent of wet person. It wasn't pleasant, by a long stretch, but the soaking mess that was the outside world didn't invite either. So she stayed where she was, grateful for dry clothes and the prospect of a bed.

Lightning flashed somewhere in the distance, showing Amy that the worst was over. It wouldn’t be dry any time soon, but at least the chance of getting fried by lightning was ebbing away. Shifting at the sound of footsteps, she gladly accepted the warm meal Nurse Joy handed her. Placing the food on the table in front of her, she immediately started eating, eyes following Nurse Joy as she made her rounds through the pokémon centre.

It was busy, not surprisingly, and she could see trainers everywhere. Some were literally soaked; others – like her – had managed to reach the centre just in time to outrun the storm. Had she stopped at the Mountain Road she would now be clutching a hot drink and wrapped in blankets like some of the others. Thank heavens for Jason and his good advice. Jason himself had decided to continue on through the forest, something which had both surprised and unnerved her. Apparently he was used to rain and knew how to deal with it, staying under the protection of leaves and hoping fervently that no lightning would strike. Amy couldn’t understand why anyone would take such a risk, but frankly didn’t care either. He was a big boy, he could take care of himself.

Their talk hadn’t continued for long. Amy had felt the need to journey on; scared as she was that she’d be caught out in the storm. And so she had; practically running the last bit. She had asked for a single room, but soon found out that none were available. The weather had herded all sorts of trainers in, from rookies to experienced veterans, and most rooms were occupied, so she would have to share with two other trainers. Apparently she was going to bunk with two brothers, one her age and one some years older than her. She just hoped none of them carried any bug pokémon. Just the thought of them escaping their pokéball and coming for a ‘visit’ was enough to make her shudder.

As she finished her meal, she noticed the talk in the centre becoming less. Most trainers seemed to get ready for bed and some were handing their pokémon to Nurse Joy to spend the night with her. They'd require some special attention, or just a good night's sleep, and would be picked up again in the morning. A few trainers were still avidly talking about something or another, their pokémon – an oddish and a striking marowak – talking as well, amused chattering in their pokélanguage showing how much they were enjoying their time together.

For a second Amy felt sad that she hadn’t let Totodile out to get to know her, but she wasn’t sure whether or not she wanted to risk a disgrace. After all if Totodile refused to acknowledge her or listen to her then all the trainers here would know that. No, she was convinced she'd made the right choice. It was way too late for someone her age to be storming after a misbehaving lizard pokémon and she doubted the sleepy occupants of the centre would appreciate that.

Yawning slightly, she stared outside again, eyes trying to pierce through the darkness. All she could see now were the dim sights of light on the other side of the road, showing that houses were situated there. It almost looked like candles were flowing in mid-air, burning through the rain. She hadn’t had a chance to investigate the town yet, but she was planning to do so before going back to the Mountain Road. It should be a charming little town, as far as she could tell, and the water nearby made for a rather picturesque scene. Something to look forward to, she decided.

After a few minutes Amy realised she should probably go to bed. The next day would be quite tiresome and she planned on doing quite some tiring activities, such as returning to the road she'd passed earlier. It had been annoying, realising she'd have to journey backwards, but no doubt worth it.

As she reached her room for the night, she heard soft talking; obviously her room-mates. A young boy with sparkling blue eyes looked up as she entered, while an older boy – perhaps a year younger than Derek – sat up from his bed.

“Ah, good evening. We heard we would have company overnight,” the older boy stated, reaching out his hand and shaking Amy’s.

“I’m Carl and this is my brother Damian,” the young boy quipped, also shaking her hand.

“I’m Amy.”

“We were just talking about going to bed, but if you want to stay up just tell us.”

“No, no, I better go to bed too. I’m tired.”

In silence the three made their beds, all too aware that they had nothing to discuss as of yet. When she crept in bed and listened to the beating of the rain on the window, Amy could not help but think of home and her own, small – but comfortable – bed. Would Mother miss her already, or worry about her safety? And what was Derek doing, now that she was gone? With images of home tormenting her dreams, Amy fell into a fitful sleep.

~

The ground was still muddy from the night before, puddles littering the path and leaves floating and rippling every pool she saw, and it made walking difficult. Totodile was trudging along next to her, making happy noises as he jumped in every muddy hole he saw. His blue coat was now a striking grey because of the mud and the water clinging to it. Amy - happy as she was that the totodile was cooperating - smiled every time he hopped around with glee.

The sky was still somewhat grey, though the clouds had vanished, but that could also be attributed to the early hour. It was nine o’clock and Amy had just left the houses of Cherrygrove City behind her. After an early breakfast and a refreshing night's sleep, she was now enjoying the cool morning air. The boys she had stayed with had still been resting when she’d left, making sure not to make a sound as she carefully dragged her things out. She wanted to get an early start so she could take her time at Mountain Road and still make it to Violet City in time. Only, she had no idea how long it would take to reach the place.

A short tour through Cherrygrove City had shown her that the city was nothing special. A few houses, a pokémon centre, a pokémart – where she bought several pokéballs and two antidotes – and a connection to a lake. Or maybe a sea, she wasn’t sure. All in all, it was far from remarkable, so instead she was focusing her attention towards the Mountain Road.

Cursing softly as she lifted a drenched foot from a puddle, Amy looked ahead, seeing the by now familiar contours of trees. Yesterday she had taken the wrong road once and ended up at the guard post for the Mountain Road. Now she knew where it lay – and could actually enter it – she was able to go to it directly instead of wandering around aimlessly. While swerving around pools she whistled a happy tune and followed her pokémon down the path and onto clear patches of grass. The tufty green ran parallel to the road - straight up to the mountain's base - so she only had to follow it. Brushing fingers over the lone pokéball she had put in her pocket – the others neatly placed on her belt and the remaining two kept in her bag – she thought of the adventures ahead.

After an hour of walking, albeit at a slower place than at the start, she finally reached the perimeter house and with a quick show of her ID was let out of the guard house and onto the Mountain Road. Or the end of it, anyway.

There the mountain was. Its peaks rose up in front of her, small dots of bird pokémon circling around the tips and soaring past the edges. Small rocks dropped down now and then and rolled down gradually, taking with it bigger rocks. The result was a collection of boulders - big and small - sticking up from the grass and littering the ground, every heavy drop causing small dents in the earth.

Tawny trees grew at the edges, some of their branches resting against the rock walls. Small, resilient flowers had risen and were adding some colour to the otherwise dull environment. The only downfall to the area was that everything was wet and the grass patches were incredibly soaked, thus making it hard to get across. Totodile followed happily, enjoying the water that jumped up whenever he let his heavy hind legs down. Obviously the water pokémon felt much better now the ground was more suited to his appearance.

“Come on, Toto,” Amy urged every time the pokémon stopped to gleefully roll around in a muddy pool.

Her totodile listened for once and danced his way across the field, kicking up water as he went. Amy made sure to stay a couple of steps behind him and not get soaked in the process.

It was a fresh day for her and she hoped it would go better than the one before. Enjoying the morning air, she neared a few small trees and noticed they looked remarkably withered for such young things. No doubt they had to deal with attacks from both mountain and pokémon on an every day basis. She could actually just make out a pidgey sitting on a tree branch, but as Totodile stormed through the grass the small bird pokémon flew off with a few alarmed calls.

“Really, Toto, how are we to catch any pokémon if you’re acting like a tauros with a toothache?”

The water pokémon eyed her for a moment, then simply continued on, kicking stones against trees as he went. Following him, Amy could do nothing but grumble a bit. She couldn’t help but feel slightly annoyed at his behaviour. She desperately wanted to catch some pokémon there, but none of them would be caught with her stomping totodile around. And if she could find one that hadn't run away, then that one would be appallingly stupid, no doubt.

Totodile, in the mean time, continued to bang his tail against trees and threw rocks at random branches. He seemed to enjoy it immensely, since he wouldn’t stop dancing and making noises. Amy watched her pokémon as he launched his body against a tree, making the thing quiver. It wasn’t a particularly large tree and thus it moved wildly as Totodile did so. Looking rather pleased with the result, Toto stepped back and again bounced against the tree, with even more force this time.

“Toto, leave that poor tree alone,” Amy tried, but the pokémon ignored her and resumed his game.

Moments later Amy could swear she saw something fall out of the tree and a form landed on the ground with a heavy thud. Disconcerted at first, she thought nothing of it. That is, until Totodile moved closer to it and stopped to look. Deciding she might as well see what lay there, she stepped forward and looked down to find a creature struggling on the wet forest floor. A bug pokémon; Weedle, to be exact. The creature appeared disorientated for a while, but as it looked up at the totodile, an angry look appeared on its face.

Its tail whipped around and lunged at Totodile, making the water pokémon jump back. Amy was surprised as she saw the small bug pokémon get back on its many feet and narrow its eyes. The light body moved forward, noises following the critter as it went, and forced Totodile backwards.

“Come on, Toto, let’s catch it!”

Here was her first real opportunity at catching a pokémon. True, it had been a lucky encounter, but luck was what a pokémon trainer needed and so luck she'd received.

“Don’t let the weedle get to you, Toto, be careful,” Amy warned while grabbing her pokédex.

Weedle; Often found in forests, eating leaves. It has a sharp stinger on its head that injects poison.

“Well, that’s useful,” she muttered as she put the pokédex back in her pocket. Being told that the critter had a stinger on its head sounded pathetically obvious. Even she could see that being stung by the thing would cause trouble.

“Be careful of the stinger, Toto! Start off with a leer to confuse our opponent,” Amy instructed, watching her pokémon begin to stare at the small weedle menacingly.

Totodile’s eyes seemed to grow in size as he focused his full attention on the weedle and tried to scare and confuse the thing. The weedle seemed unaffected at first, but Amy could see it start to move uncomfortably before stepping back a bit. Suddenly the weedle countered the move and strings shot from its mouth, covering a surprised Totodile in a white web-like substance. The pokémon started clawing at the sticky material and easily rid itself of it, but became annoyed nonetheless. The weedle, however, didn’t stay in one spot during the attack and hurried over to where the totodile was standing, aiming for the water pokémon with the poisonous barb on its head.

“Watch out, Toto, jump to the side, quickly!”

The weedle flew past, landing rather hard on the forest floor. Totodile made happy noises before concentrating on the enemy again, seemingly resolving not to get distracted. The bug pokémon got back to its feet and turned, looking fairly disgruntled and annoyed. More strings were shot Toto’s way, but his sharp claws were able to claw through most of them.

“Scratch him, Totodile. Let’s see how he manages that,” came Amy's instructions and she saw her totodile lunge at the small Weedle, claws at the ready.

At first the weedle was able to evade the attacks, but the moment it let its guard down to shoot more string shots, Totodile caught it and threw it away with a well aimed scratch. The weedle landed hard again and seemed to struggle with getting up, blinking rapidly and making faint noises. Amy didn’t wait long, and soon a red-and-white pokéball flew through the air. It landed on the weedle, de-materializing it into energy and capturing it inside.

A few weak bobbles were all it took before the weedle gave in and the pokéball stopped moving. Happy with the capture, Amy gingerly walked closer and grabbed the pokéball, looking at it before clipping it to her belt. No doubt the Weedle would be quite unhappy with what had happened, so she better heal it before letting it out.

“Good job, Totodile. It might be just a weedle, but it is a pokémon," Amy praised. "You have to start somewhere, I suppose.”

Totodile was long gone, however, once more happily scratching at trees and bumping his heavy tail against them. Amy sighed before following him closer to the base of the mountain.

Last edited:
Whoah. For the SECOND time, I came across this chapter when I thought I'd already reviewed it! >< My memory appears to be shot.

ANYWAY, great chapter. No typos/grammar/punctuation errors to be found (at least not by me). Lovely description, wording etc.

The only thing that annoys me a bit is a slight blandness - her first pokemon capture was a Weedle that behaved exactly like a Weedle would. It was a fraction predictable and in keeping with the norms of fanfiction. (At the same time, I realise that it was a Weedle because a Weedle is the only thing she's LIKELY to find in that spot with a Totodile like that.) I suppose I'd have liked to see a bit more INTERACTION between Amy and Totodile. (The action was great. ^^ Awesome battle!)

I'm really starting to get a sense of Totodile's belligerant nature. ^^ For a chubby blue lizard, that thing has guts. I'm still not quite sure what he thinks of his trainer, but I suppose we're going to get a better sense of that in chapters to come. Amy, on the other hand, is highly recognisable character and very easy to relate to. Great work there.

This bit I really liked:

Its tail whipped around and lunged at Totodile, making the water pokémon jump back. Amy was surprised as she saw the small bug pokémon get back on its many feet and narrow its eyes. The light body moved forward, noises following the critter as it went, forcing Totodile backwards.

I'm getting 'Really Angry Millipede' vibes here. A Really Angry Millipede that flows silently over the terrain, its many-jointed body moving like some creepy sort of slinky. *shudders* Gah. Freaky thing! (But excellent job portraying it...)

Anyhoo, sorry I haven't reviewed before now. >< Such a patient person you are! Hope you're well and, since it's New Year's Eve, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! All the best for 2006!

Piney.
;204;;324

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
Very nice, you have a very possible, interesting relationship going on between Amy and her Totodile (Every time I see her say 'Toto' i can't help but think 'Wizard of Oz'. Odd, I know) Still, you did a bang up job here - very nice. Hats off to your Beta, too. XD Poor Weedle - though it fascinates me, rather.

Again, as Piney said, a bit more interaction would have been nice, but you portray Amy's feelings about the subject well, so it doesn't bother me that much.

Hey, Piney introduced me to this story, and all the other fics I'm reading are having a break so I was happy to come across this one. It is true that the story you folow is simply the one from the game, but you do it so well-Piney's right bout the realistic feel you have here- I especially liked how the Pidgey flew overhead, the Sentret ran away, and there weren't any pkemon or trainers at all for the first part.
The first few chapters were the best, especially the part where Amy was flying on Pidgeot. You capture Amy's emotions beautifully- I loved how she felt about Professor Elm, I loved how she felt about her brother. I also loved the way you included Rattata; since it's so common, people don't normally include it, but I think they're really kinda cute and should maybe be used more often than they are. I also like the Bellsprout.
The most effective thing you're doing is portraying the thoughts and emotions of Amy and really writing from her point of view; I like her relationship with her brother, that sounds really interesting.

There were a few parts of your story that were a little corny- not that I'm the master of al things un-corny- like the reference to how much Amy hated bug pokemon before she caught her Weedle. Aren't there more Geodude than Weedle in that mountainy area? I remember catching a Jigglypuff there once...

I love this story very much, mainly because you're describing the Gold/Silver "journey", and they're the first games I played. Everything you write brings back vivid memories of the things I loved about the game, and you bring the story to real life really nicely.

You have a really interesting, unusual, subtle way of writing, which probably stems from the fact that english isn't your first language. Sometimes, however, the sentences you put could be made much clearer, just by different wording. This seemed to occur much more frequently in the last chapter.

For a moment Amy felt sad that she hadn’t let Totodile out to get to know her, but she wasn’t sure whether or not she wanted to risk a disgrace. After all if Totodile refused to acknowledge her or listen to her then all the trainers here would know that, no…she had made the right choice.

The second half of this sentence would flow better if you wrote "After all, if Totodile refused to acknowledge her or listen to her then all the trainers here would know that...no- she had made the right choice."

So the three dots come after the pause in the sentence. There are a couple of funny comma placings, but they don't bother me to much. I think there was one other one which I thought was wordeed a bit funnily.

While swerving around pools she whistled a happy tune, following her pokémon down the path and onto clear patches of grass that went parallel to the way to the Mountain Road. Fingering the lone pokéball in her pocket – the others were neatly placed on her belt and the remaining two kept in her bag – she thought of the adventures ahead.

I think the description of paths running parallel to the way to the mountain road was kind of hard to imagine, but there was nothing incorrect about it. What I didn't like was the "fingering the lone pokeball" bit. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't think this lone pokeball was mentioned before then, so it doesn't really make sense to call it "the" pokeball, so better to call it "a" pokeball- although I didn't really understand its relevance to the story either. Also, the word fingering is sort of odd...but that could just be me. You could say fiddling or playign with or something. I guess fingering works fine too, it just makes me think of other things straight away- musical intruments and...other things...

Apart from those two sentences, I thought your writing was very nice, very simplistic and beautiful. I love Amy, I love how real a person she is. I'm really interested to fidn out how this fic progresses- don't be afraid to have Amy do something out of the ordinary, is all the advice I can give. It doesn't have to be somethign that didn't happen in the games, but maybe she could detour to a place where people don't normally go, and catch an unusual pokemon, like a Dunsparce or something.

I'd definitely like to keep up to date with this fic, can you PM me when you post a new chapter please?

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Don't worry, I have plenty in store for future chapters. And she will probably do things out of the ordinary, but I'm keeping it believable. That's basically what I want this story to convey. Not some teenager who catches Groudon, but the all too common - and perhaps boring to same - life of a normal beginning trainer.

You're also right about the Geodude, but I believe that Geodude, yes even geodude, would be smart enough to hide away (and they have such good means to hide with too) when a pokémon comes charging towards them. Also, I see most small bug pokémon, as well as Pidgey, Rattata, Sentret and the like, as everywhere. You can find them up trees, in houses, etc. I'm not just sticking to the games, I'm also sticking to logic and relate it to how this earth works.

Funny that you mention the Dunsparce, hehe. You'll see why later on. Oh, and the pokéball mention was put in there to show that she keeps a pokéball there. It has significance. :)

And I had to include a Rattata, I love them. ;)

Thank you Pinecone Tortoise, Saffire Persian and cyndaquil_dratini for the reviews and helpful comments. (And Pinecone Tortoise, thank you for that bit of advertising. ^^) Happy New Year too! I will probably update tomorrow - ehm, today technically - or the day after. Again, thank you.

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Disclaimer: I do not own pokémon or any of its related enterprises. They are the property of their respective owners.

----------

Chapter Four: A Travelling Companion.​

“Totodile, please sit still and eat,” Amy tried valiantly, pushing the bowl of food back his way. They'd been at the Mountain Road for a while now, roaming around in the grassy wilderness. No other pokémon appeared, none she could attempt to catch anyway, or if they did they stayed out of her reach. Looking up at the mountain, she had caught sight of a geodude shuffling around - big arms propelling his heavy body forward - but she could nothing but stare, high ridges obstructing her way.

So, instead, she'd chosen one of the big boulders to sit on, preferring the gritty surface over soaking wet pastures. Though her earlier thought had been to bring her weedle to the pokémon centre before meeting it, she'd been way too curious and had let him out anyway. The creature seemed remarkably compliant, though its movements were tired and slow. No doubt it was still feeling the aftermath of its earlier battle.

She received a look of disinterest from Toto as she once again kicked the bowl towards him with her foot. Weedle, on the other hand, seemed stuck on his spot next to her. The little bug pokémon had decided he didn’t much like Toto and had noticed that the water pokémon didn’t particularly care for him either. Smart as the bug was he had moved towards Amy, planting his lithe body right next to her hand, so that he'd have some protection. It had taken all of Amy’s willpower not to jump up and sit somewhere else.

She'd gotten used to the though now and watched as the little weedle munched on some dry leaves she'd wrestled from underneath some fallen rocks. How he could eat leaves with such vigour was something Amy couldn’t understand, but it would sure save her money. Totodile had a much more expensive taste. Weedle seemed to like his food though, so Amy merely shrugged. Who was she to deny her pokémon such simple pleasures? At least this one was more inclined to behave.

Totodile had taken off again, nibbling on a piece of dried pokéfood as he did what he usually did, banging his tail against trees. Now and then a pidgey or two would fly up, leaving Amy with a feeling of annoyance at not being able to catch them. Totodile didn’t seem at all interested in the pokémon that fled due to his behaviour, yet she was. A pidgey was a nice pokémon to start with, as pidgey’s fully evolved state was Pidgeot. How could you not love the huge and beautiful bird pokémon. Fact was, Derek’s pidgeots had made her dream of owning one herself, perhaps flying on its broad back some day. Toto didn’t seem to share that dream, though.

She had considered throwing weedle up a tree instead, see what the little bug could do, but the thought of soft flesh being pecked at by sharp beaks kept her from acting on it. No, you shouldn’t attempt to catch a bird pokémon with a bug, no matter how desperate you were.

“You’d think he’d get bored of hitting the same tree over and over,” Amy said to Weedle, receiving nothing but a few blinks in return.

With a sigh, she got back on her feet, watching as a young girl walked past them. Her mother, presumably, walked next to the little girl as they made their way back to Cherrygrove City. The woman smiled at Amy as they passed, nodding politely. Amy nodded in return and decided that she too should head back. It was almost midday and she wanted to move to the next town.

Violet City was just as unknown to her as Cherrygrove was, but at least she’d heard of it. She knew a Gym was located there, but that was pretty much all she knew. She had considered getting herself a guide, or some sort of map, but figured that seeing as a road-sign already pointed in its general direction that it must be pretty close. She’d wait. No use spending the remains of her already limited supply of cash.

“Toto, Weedle, we’re off. We’ll be going to Violet City,” she told her pokémon firmly and returned them to their pokéballs.

They were placed on her belt and off she went, making for the small city of Cherrygrove.

-

As she entered the village again, she saw a young girl about her age leave the town’s pokémart, petting the small pidgey that was stationed on her shoulder. Apparently the girl had been luckier than sh'ed been when it came to catching pidgey. Unhappy at the obvious sneer she was receiving from above, she passed the girl without looking. A short stop at the pokémon centre to heal Weedle didn't take much of her time, and soon she was heading for the road she knew lead out of Cherrygrove and towards Violet City.

The first glimpse Amy caught of unkempt grass was enough to make the feeling of freedom return. The roads were still man-constructed, but at least the patches of tall grass and the occasional tree gave one the feeling that the there was no civilization nearby. Well, if one ignored the various road-signs.

The trees were taller here, she noted, and there was no way that Toto could make these trees sway, no matter how hard he tried. Maybe this would cure him of his fascination with them.

A moment she pondered staying on the path, but the thought of missing interesting pokémon kept her from actually doing so. She pushed some grass aside with her hands and plunged in, eagerly moving forward. At one point she nearly tripped, but righted herself and slowed down a bit. Killing herself would not benefit her, after all.

Left and right grass moved, but whenever Amy turned the thing that had caused it was gone. It did not dishearten her; at least she knew there was plenty around to catch. Just in case she came across something interesting she kept her hand on Toto’s pokéball, ready to release him at a moment’s notice.

Then the grass suddenly parted in front of her and a decidedly un-pokémon like head stuck out, startling Amy. Brown eyes looked at her and then a small woman got to her feet and dusted off her hands on already dusty trousers.

“Oh, my apologies. I was a bit busy, didn’t see ya coming. Would have been quite hard, though, I was on the ground. Not a comfy place to be, the ground, but sometimes necessary.”

Amy stared at the woman, taking in her messy hair and the brightly coloured sweater she was wearing. It was made of the brightest purple and Amy had a hard time believing a grown woman would have bought it. Weren’t women supposed to have a sense of style?

“Oh, sorry, I’m babbling again, aren’t I? I’m Carrie,” the woman said, wiping her brow with a dirty hand, leaving a few stains.

“I’m Amy.”

“Well, Amy, nice to meet you. Sorry about scaring you, I was looking for some oddish.”

“Oddish?”

A grab in her pocket and the pokédex came out. A few buttons were pressed and the right entry came up.

Oddish: Awakened by moonlight, it roams actively by night. In the day, it stays quietly underground.

“So, they’re underground at the moment?”

Carrie laughed softly at that and Amy felt stupid instantly. Had she said something funny?

“I don’t think so, not here anyway. I believe they need more water than can be found here, plus there are too many people around, even at night. I’ve been looking for them for a while now, but I haven’t seen even a trace.”

“You must be a researcher, then,” Amy stated.

A contemplating look appeared on the woman’s face. “I guess you could say that. I’m just interested in where they live, you know. I’ve come to the conclusion that they prefer remote grassy fields, where it rains frequently. It would make digging into the ground easier, plus there would be more nutritional substances. At least that was the case in the Kanto region. I’m now heading for Violet City. I’ve heard a lot of Bellsprout live there, yet no Oddish. I believe these two pokémon species have an odd rivalry and maybe that is why bellsprout choose dryer soil instead. I want to find out why no Oddish live there.”

“Oh, I’m going to Violet City too. I want to challenge Falkner.”

“The gym leader, eh? You must be a trainer, then.”

“Yes, I started yesterday.”

“Oh, how very exciting! Well then, miss Amy, want to journey together? I’ll tell you something about oddish and you can keep me company. How about it?”

Amy considered this option and decided that it could do no harm. In fact, she could probably learn from this woman. She seemed a bit odd, but if she had been through the entirety of the Kanto region then she must be doing something right. She nodded and Carrie smiled.

“Good, good. Let’s get a move on, then. Lead the way, Amy!”

-------

It was surprising to Amy how easily Carrie adapted to the environment. Where Amy stepped in holes and almost tripped over a lone tree-root, Carrie always managed to step around them or over them, as if she had a sixth sense that told here where and when she was about to take a tumble. Amy had, of course, tripped twice and almost twisted her ankle when she didn’t see a hole. Carrie had, with enthusiasm, told her that it was most likely a rattata burrow.

A rattata hole. Amy had never really considered where the little rat pokémon would live when in the wild. Derek’s training buddy had always slept in its pokéball, and if it didn’t it would sneak up to Derek’s bed and lie down next to his head instead. The little creature didn’t have to sleep outside like these wild ones.

Amy stared at the hole for a while, noticing the little creases in the harsh ground. Carrie had shown her the small claw prints that showed her the hole was still occupied. She had looked down the dark hole, but seen nothing. Not surprisingly, of course, what pokémon would be as stupid as to come outside and look at the big beasts that had come thumping towards the entrance? Not even a plain tattata would be that stupid.

They continued, Carrie pointing out more rattata holes along the way, and Amy could swear she saw purple tails disappear through the grass now and then. Her mother had often called them rodents, which basically they were, and whenever she saw a purple tail she’d shriek and call for father.

They’d eat their food, too, when they could; chewing through anything they set their teeth to. Amy had started to see them as worthless pests until Derek brought his new temporary partner with him. They were often considered as weak and useless, but she had learned to respect them. Tough and resilient, they weren't as weak as most people thought. Besides, they were cute.

“Look, Amy, trainers.”

That statement was enough to make Amy break that strain of thought. Her head shot up and she looked over the grass to see what Carrie was talking about. Three young boys stood near a road-sign, chatting avidly about something or another. One of them seemed to be telling a story of sorts and the others laughed, though at what Amy didn’t know.

“They look like bug catchers.”

“Bug catchers?”

“Trainers who catch bugs the old fashioned way, with nets and such. They then use a pokéball. It’s quite common around these parts. Not all trainers can afford or want to journey across Johto. Plus, not all are old enough to start a journey yet. These boys just enjoy battling and raising bug pokémon.”

Amy nodded, following Carrie as she moved towards them. Perhaps she should challenge one of these boys? She hadn’t had a proper battle yet. The only battle she had had was with Weedle, it would be exciting to go through her first trainer event.

The boys looked up as they left the grass and set foot on the dusty road. One of them whispered something to the other boys and they nodded.

“Hello,” Carrie started, smiling kindly. “Looking for bugs?”

“Yes, there aren’t many here, though. We find them up the road. Are you trainers?”

“Technically, I am, but I’m more of a researcher. You’ll have to ask my friend Amy here if you’re interested in a battle.”

Amy blushed as the three boys looked at her. They seemed younger than she was, about eight or nine. They probably had more experience with training pokémon, though.

“Do you have any bug pokémon?” the boy asked, a hint of interest in his voice.

“I have a weedle,” Amy answered, seeing the face of the boy lighten up at that notion.

“Ah, cool, I do too. Want to battle?”

Last edited:
Whoo! Amy's first battle... or will it be? Still, at least Totodile seems to obey her in battle.

So... Amy's got a travelling buddy. How long will that last, I wonder? And does Carrie have pokemon of her own? She said she was 'technically' a trainer, so I'm guessing she does. But what? Hmmm.

The lack of a beta was barely noticeable. There's only one thing I'd change:

She had considered throwing Weedle up a tree and seeing what the little bug could do

But that's just my preference. I reckon it reads that little bit better. *shrug*

Anyway, this story seems to get more interesting each time I check back. ^^ Excellent work as per ususal. And Weedle is awesome. Very cute. I here's hoping that with the next battle that it will get its time to shine! Heh. Go Weedle!

Piney.
;204;;324;

Saffire Persian

Now you see me...
o.o I thought I reviewed this a long time ago, but it looks like I haven't. I'm sorry. Still, Carrie looks like an interesting character, though how long she'll be around is the question. And a Weedle battle, eh? At least that bug catcher's interested. I see it's been awhile since you updated, so good luck on the next chapter, whenever that may be.

Cheers!

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Disclaimer: I do not own pokémon or any of its related enterprises. They are the property of their respective owners.

----

Chapter Five: Bugged By Others.​

Amy looked at the boy in front of her with an appraising glance. He just stood there, looking confident, with an air of certainty surrounding him. He seemed used to it all, like battling random trainers was an every-day occurence, and why wouldn’t he be? Bugcatchers like them must have a close-knit group of trainers, battling daily. She could imagine that they would wait here patiently every day, remaining at the side of the road, fervently hoping for new trainers to pass by so they could test their strenght.

It was quite clever, actually. By staying here they could train their pokémon without any problems. They could keep away from the stronger pokémon that would have a field-day attacking their somewhat inexperienced bugs, yet still battle with beginning trainers they might be able to defeat. Amy knew that Weedle would probably classify as an inexperienced bug, but pushed it back. No use thinking about that now.

“You ready?”

One of the boys was looking at her expectantly. He would act as a referee, they had decided as such, and had explained the rules to her. Of course she already knew most of the rules, but it was good to be reminded of them.

“Yes, of course,” she replied, taking out Weedle’s pokéball. This would be their very first battle, how exciting. Her hands quivered as she waited for what the other trainer would do. Would he send his pokémon out first, or should she? She didn't know.

“You can go first, if you want,” her opponent offered, looking somewhat bored with it all.

She could not yet imagine being bored about pokémon battles – perhaps that was merely due to no change in scenery for the boy –as she was thrilled and filled with nerves.

“Ok, sure,” she muttered, pressing the button on her pokéball, “Weedle, go for it!”

The thrill of seeing her very own pokémon appear, no matter how small it looked, was amazing. Weedle got ready immediately, little black eyes glinting as it took in the boys watching her. Their nets scared the critter, for he'd heard tales of vulnerable kakuna being snatched away from them, not even the angry chase the beedrill would give the snatchers enough to retrieve them.

Amy swallowed. It wouldn’t matter if they won or lost, it would just be practise, training. It would allow her to gain confidence, get used to the hectic of battle. It would also give her pokémon time to get used to her. Besides, they weren’t at Falkner’s gym yet and would not have to fight him. She should enjoy this and learn from it. Trying to convince herself of that was way more difficult than she had imagined.

Her opponent’s weedle appeared as well. It was somewhat bigger than hers, and seemed level eyed and ready. Experienced, that’s what he looked like. Amy frowned, eying her small weedle sniff the area with curiosity. This would be interesting.

“Alright, Amy you can start, Robin will react to your command and the battle will begin. Are both trainers ready?”

The referee seemed professional about it, as if he felt important now. Amy shrugged somewhat, not caring if he wanted to be like that. It did add to the serious air of it all, though, which was good. Nervously she rubbed her sweaty hands on her pants, looking at Carrie for reassurance. The woman gave her a curt nod and motioned towards the battle field. She had to focus.

Of course she knew what to do, and what was expected of her, but actually performing was more difficult than she had ever imagined. In her mind she was calm, collected, and ready for everything, but now as she stood there she felt butterflies in her stomach and the shaking of her hands.

“Yep, ready,” her opponent said.

He was looking at her with mild curiosity, as if he could smell she was uncomfortable. Better not make him think she was incompetent. Had Carrie told him this was her first real battle? She couldn’t remember. In fact, she could remember very little from what Derek had told her about battles, too. Did amnesia occur under these circumstances? What were Weedle’s attacks again? Amy almost freaked, but stopped herself from shaking. Poison sting and string shot, she knew this.

“I’m ready too,” she said, noticing a slight waver in her voice.

This would be her first real battle, how very exciting. Derek and herself had enacted many a battle, even with real pokémon, but this boy would not take pity on her. This was for real. Damn, she was nervous.

“Alright, Weedle, string shot!”

Her small weedle immediately responded, eager to battle. He was quite unlike Toto, listening to her every command, and more focused on doing his best. Toto would have probably looked at her with annoyance and walked off to bang against some trees. Alright, perhaps that was exaggerating; he had seemed to enjoy his fight with Weedle after all.

She watched as he shot thin strings of sticky fibre at his opponent. She didn’t quite catch her opponent’s command, so focused she was on her own pokémon. Strings shot through the air and caught Weedle’s head on. Before Amy knew what was happening, the other weedle pulled back hard, causing Weedle to slide forward. His short legs dug into the ground and he attempted to pull back, hanging onto the short end of his string shot.

Amy had never considered that you could use string shot like this. It was not a shot now, but something a spider would use to spin a web. Quite ingenious.

“Now! Let go!”

She heard the command and was about to warn her pokémon when Weedle shot back, falling down in a heap on the mossy floor, covered in sticky string shot. Annoyed, the small pokémon tried to free itself of its own attack, but to no avail. It was well and truly stuck, and Amy cried out as the other weedle charged forward, aiming its stinger at the helpless creature. She looked away as her opponent’s pokémon plunged head first into her poor Weedle.

As she dared looking again she saw with amusement that, while her Weedle was hurt, the other pokémon had not come out unharmed. His stinger was stuck too, and a thin string had encircled the pokémon’s neck, keeping him from moving.

“Weedle, poison sting!” she commanded, watching in fascination as the other weedle tried to pull back with all its might. Weedle caught him, though, and while still covered in all things sticky he bumped his head against the other.

It seemed to hurt their opponent's weedle, but the bump also freed it from the string. Bad luck, but she had to work with it. Bad luck was part of pokémon battles, just like luck was. Whether or not it was in her favour, it would always be there. That was life, and life had funny quirks. Like getting stuck in string shot, really. She’d gotten stuck herself too, perhaps not literally, by what she’d said or things she’d done. Life turned in many ways, and every turn had a beginning and end. No matter how life pushed you into one direction, you always had an opening to escape.

If only she could think of one now. Weedle was desperately trying to climb through the strings, but there was no way he’d succeed. This was obviously a trick the boy had used more often, and it was successful. Again she heard the command to use a poison sting on her pokémon, and all she could do was watch idly as the sharp stinger of her opponent’s pokémon embedded itself in Weedle’s sensitive skin.

The battle was over, she knew, as she watched her pokémon’s body wriggle for a bit and then fall down, not moving. Robin cheered for a moment, but then took out small scissors and walked towards the bundle of pokémon and sticky stuff. With ease and practice he cut through the strings, freeing her pokémon. It was rather nice of him to do such a thing, but Amy felt that she had to be the one to free her pokémon. It was her fault he got stuck, she’d made the mistake. Of course this trainer had tricks prepared, she should have guessed he was up to something. Up to this.

“Thanks,” she muttered, returning Weedle to his pokéball. She looked at it, wondering if Weedle would resent her for what had happened. It had been his first battle after all, and he had lost. The loss sting – no pun intended – but for him it had to be even worse.

“You did great.”

Carrie, always her comforting self. Amy gave a shrug, unsure what to say. The older woman gave her a well-meant hug and she felt somewhat better. All begin was difficult, right? There was no good in mourning this loss and feel down the entire trip. She would lose more often, and perhaps win now and then. Derek had warned her about it. He thought she’d be home soon, that she wouldn’t be able to cope. Perhaps he was right, but she wouldn’t give up just yet. She had to prove to herself - and to him - that she was capable of something.

She’d already accomplished things. Never had she been out so far. She had seen past Weedle’s exterior and had overcome her fear of bug pokémon. And, she was sure, one day she’d be able to control Toto, whether he wanted to or not.

“Thanks, Carrie,” she said, giving the woman a weak smile.

Robin and his friends walked towards them, and Amy realised he would want some money. It was odd how that worked. She had never realised that such things were a part of being a trainer. You needed money, and to get it you needed strong pokémon. And for strong pokémon you needed money, so you could heal their every illness. It was a never-ending circle. It would go on and on, thus was the life of a trainer.

The boy looked pleased with himself when he received his money, and Amy resented him for it. A pout was permanently fixed on her face as she ignored the boys and continued down the path. Behind her, Carrie gave the boys an apologetic shrug and hurried after her, as fast as her chubby legs could carry her.

Last edited:
Mmm, fun chapter!! Not to mention original... ^^ I really like seeing alternative uses for standard attacks... and String Shot is one I've been toying with myself.. but not for the use you found. ^^ Awesome. And very cute...

Your characterisation is really showing through... Weedle's adorable, Amy's thoroughly understandable and easily related to, Carrie's sweet and Toto's... funny bordering on eccentric. ^^

Yup... not much else to say about this chapter... funness. Usual high quality... fresh and entertaining... lovely. ^^

Eh, until next time (which I hope is soon!), good luck and fun to you!

Piney.
;204;;324;

I liked this chapter- I liked the one before it better. Carrie seems like a really interesting character, I like the way she was introduced, and I was realy interested in her research with Oddish- I love thinking about pokemon like that, hearing about sicentists doing research. I foudn the battle kind of boring, maybe coz it was two Weedles. I always thought string shot was used like that, like a web, so that part was kind of confusing. It had nice structure though, I really like your flow. You use paragraphs sparsely as well, which is lovely. It's really easy to read your writing.
I liked where you were going with the Carrie character, and finding stuff out about Oddish and Bellsprout. Maybe it'd be good to have something happen in this fic that's a little bit out of the ordinary, something we don't expect. I like how you use normal (as in everyday, not the type) pokemon, like Rattata- I've never thought of Rattata like that before, its great how she respects them.
I'd like to see something really interesting happen now. More character development, I think. You don't have to just stick to exactly the things that happen in the game, even though I can see that's what you want to do. So...Amy's first pokemon battle is pretty important, but something else might be too- like finding a Rattata, or something like that, you know? I wanna see Amy as a real person, with a seperate personality, not just a generic trainer going off and doign all the stuff you do in games. Lets see more of her personality.

I love the way you're goign with this tory so far, though. I don't mean what you've written is bad, I'm just outlining what kind of direction I'd like to see this fic go in- and you might not agree with me.

Will Amy go through Dark Cave, for example? While she still can't see anything? Will she find a Dunsparce, or something? I dunno. I reckon it's a little too generic at the moment though.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Okay, now this is one of the best things I've had the fortune of reading, and easily one of the most well-written stories on this forum. English isn't your first language? I would never have guessed if you hadn't mentioned that - the language used in your writing is even than that used by many whose first language is English.

Everything flows perfectly from one event through the next; the detail is rich and meticulous without being tedious, and the setting, events, and characters are realistic without being mundane - a profoundly commendable achievement.

Speaking of the characters, those are very well done. Both the human and Pokémon characters all have distinct, believable, and enjoyable personalities.

Simply put, you are a top-notch wordsmith and a wonderfully engaging storyteller - you should be very proud of this work. I should like to have your skill with the written word, seriously. ^^ Kudos for writing a story of truly excellent quality!

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Pinecone Tortoise and Keleri: Thanks for your ongoing support, it's really appreciated. :)

I liked this chapter- I liked the one before it better. Carrie seems like a really interesting character, I like the way she was introduced, and I was realy interested in her research with Oddish- I love thinking about pokemon like that, hearing about sicentists doing research.

I'm glad you like Carrie and her research. You'll be seeing more of her, and hear more about the Oddish research, in one of the upcoming chapters.

I always thought string shot was used like that, like a web, so that part was kind of confusing.

Hmm, I had more the thought that it was one long string being shot at the opponent, which slows the opponent down because it's so sticky.

Maybe it'd be good to have something happen in this fic that's a little bit out of the ordinary, something we don't expect.

Things like that will happen, don't you worry. I just want to set up the main characters and show how the average life of a trainer is. It won't be too special - she won't be battling Team *insert random name* for instance, but something will happen, I promise.

So...Amy's first pokemon battle is pretty important, but something else might be too- like finding a Rattata, or something like that, you know? I wanna see Amy as a real person, with a seperate personality, not just a generic trainer going off and doign all the stuff you do in games. Lets see more of her personality.

But that's the thing. Amy is just like many trainers starting out. She's insecure, wants to achieve greatness, and is still a child who gets annoyed when things go wrong. That's what life is about for trainers, and perhaps that's why it sounds a bit boring to you. I will not follow the game closely, but of course she will take the route any beginning trainer takes. Starting at the easiest gym and ending with the hardest.

Will Amy go through Dark Cave, for example? While she still can't see anything? Will she find a Dunsparce, or something? I dunno. I reckon it's a little too generic at the moment though.

I've already done research on all this, and I have plenty of ideas for upcoming chapters. Perhaps you think it's too generic, but I think there aren't enough fics out there with realism. I'll try to add some spice to it, though, but I can't promise you'll love it. XD

Sike Saner: Wow. *blushes* Thank you so much, that's quite a compliment filled post. I appreciate that very much, such a support. Thanks!

not_awake

Who flung poo?
First I'd like to note that I generally don't read through many fics unless I've been there from the start. I may read the first chapter and enjoy it, but find a lot taper off in the 2nd or 3rd chapters. Not so here. This was written excellently and I was compelled to read all of the chapters here in one sitting.

In response to the critcism that Amy seems like a generic trainer, I couldn't disagree more. It may seem that she has the same insecurities as other OT characters, but I don't see it that way. She's not driven by the desire to be a champion and the subsequent fear of loss that comes with that. Instead she seems to want the approval of her brother rather than the generic sense of greatness. However, that may be an even more difficult goal as he seems to be such a demanding person. It feels as if they only way she could satisfy his expectations is if her own success is greater than his.

At least that's the way I'm seeing things; the importance of her brother in her quest seemed evident through his presence in the first two chapters. Otherwise we could've skipped ahead to the same place your average trainer-fic begins.

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Thank you for the support. Amy is, in a way, a generic trainer - since all trainers go through the same basic things -, but yet she isn't. No trainer's journey is the same, everything they do is somewhat different from the next, and no person is the same.

It's hard writing a trainer journey, since everyone assumes it's generic and 'boring'. I'm trying my best to make it original, though. :)

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
-

Author's note: Wow, did I take long or what? My apologies, real life certainly has a way of crippling a person. I've been revising and editing earlier chapters, but it is going slowly. Hopefully you'll be able to recognize the difference between my first and last chapters, though. Let me know what you think!

-

Chapter Six: Fleeting Chances.​

The two travellers sat side by side as they quietly devoured their sandwiches. Carrie had made them, and while Amy worried about her dirty hands touching the food, she had been too hungry to resist. Constant walking left a person hungry, and Amy especially. She wasn’t used to such extensive walking, every new turn draining more of her strength. Carrie, on the other hand, remained upbeat and cheerful, trudging along like it was nothing. Amy had to admit she envied her friend greatly.

It was almost midday, and where her first days had been cloudy and filled with rain, so far this day had given her nothing but sunshine. They’d made good time, but now as they sat here they could finally relaxed in the pleasant warmth of the sun.

Not all liked the change in weather, however. Totodile, having been released from his pokéball, sat sulking in the shadows of a small tree. Amy had expected nothing less. He hadn’t much liked the transformation from watery roads to cough-inducing dust, so Amy had just left him to it. Nothing she said would make a difference, and this way he didn’t spoil her good mood.

“How far are we from Violet City?” Amy asked, munching happily on what she considered to be an excellent meal, even though Carrie had prepared it. The woman had proven to be quite a pleasant companion; showing her things she had never seen, giving her invaluable advice, and most importantly, teaching her how to deal with being out in the wild.

Not that there was much wilderness around these parts. Most forests they walked through were fairly close to cities or towns, small outposts springing up everywhere to accommodate the trainers travelling through. They had stayed at such an outpost the night before, Carrie insisting she pay for both their stay. The map Amy carried was grossly inaccurate, she’d realised, only pointing out towns that had a gym, or cities of significant importance. An importance she had yet to find out about, but important enough nonetheless. Why else would they be listed, while other towns weren’t?

“I’d say we should be there by nightfall, if we keep up this pace. If not, then we have our tents,” Carrie answered brightly, patting the heavy rucksack she wore on her back. Amy’s bag was much smaller, for she only carried their cooking supplies. “We might want to make a stop at Mister Pokémon’s house, though. He is a famed researcher and I’d much like to meet him.”

Amy nodded, the thought of meeting someone famous not something she minded. Besides, it seemed Carrie really wanted to meet this man, so she figured they could spare the time. There was no rush, she’d been told over and over, nor a timetable by which she had to abide. Taking the time to meet a man like Mister Pokémon was definitely worth it, if only for the joy it seemed to bring the woman who had been so kind to her over the last few days.

“Are you feeling homesick yet?”

She looked up, the kind smile on Carrie’s face telling her that maybe she hadn’t been as good at hiding her loneliness as she thought she’d been. The last couple of days had been thrilling, and Carrie’s presence heart-warming, but she missed the comforts of home and her brother’s reassuring presence. She had yet to call him, as well, which was another reason she was glad to hear they were near their destination.

“A little,” she answered truthfully, swallowing the last bit of her sandwich and wiping her hands on her pants. They’d gotten quite dirty, especially by sitting on the ground as they were doing now, and suddenly Amy understood why Carrie had been so filthy the first time they’d met.

“Well, once we’ve reached Violet City, you can call home. I’m sure they miss you.”

Again she nodded, not trusting her voice. Thinking about home was hard, because while she wouldn’t miss this for the world, she wished she could have combined it with being around her parents.

“Well, then,” Carrie murmured, getting to her feet. “If we want to meet Mister Pokémon and get to Violet City in time, then we better get going.”

The thought cheered Amy up a bit, and she quickly returned Totodile and Weedle – who’d been rummaging through the leaves not far away – to their pokéballs. They, as was she, were gradually becoming used to their routine. While Amy would sometimes brave her fear of bugs and allow Weedle to sit on her shoulder, the two pokémon mostly remained in their pokéballs, allowing her to focus on other things than Toto’s annoying habits, or Weedle’s sticky feet.

Listening to Carrie huff as she hoisted her bag on her shoulder, Amy felt guilty, but it was soon replaced by excitement as the path in front of them disappeared into the grass. Carrie too seemed to be in her element, as she pushed through the tangle of vines and proceeded to lead the way.

It was a definite case of one foot in front of the other as they made their way through the long stretches of green. Here and there they heard the by now familiar rustles of Pokémon nearby, a flash of purple here and there confirming the ever-present presence of rattata. Amy had given up on catching any of the critters a long time ago. The pokémon had holes everywhere, and they were often down one before Amy had even had the chance to grab a pokéball. It was frustrating, but Carrie assured her that there were rattata everywhere and she’d get a chance at catching one some other time.

Even so, Amy still watched their every move, the sight of large teeth more exciting than it should be. At the same time, she could see the beady eyes of weedle stare at her from the trees. There were a lot of them, watching their every move, and again Carrie explained something invaluable to her. If you see weedle, then there’ll be kakuna, and if there are kakuna, then you better not get near. Because if there’s anything trainers have to know, then it’s to stay far, far away from anything that evolves into the fearsome bug known as beedrill.

“Amy, look!”

So absorbed in her own thoughts, Amy hadn’t realised Carrie had come to a halt. The older woman was pointing at something, standing absolutely still. Amy turned her head cautiously, not sure whether to be afraid or interested. Thinking of beedrill had reminded her how dangerous the pokémon world could be, and she was not in the mood to run for her life.

Instead she was pleasantly surprised by the sight of a small pokémon on a rock, happily relaxing in the sun. Its large eyes were closed, though the black antennas on its head swivelled around at every sound. Amy tried counting how many legs it had, but some were tucked underneath the shiny red body. She guessed that it had six, but couldn’t be sure.

“Check your pokédex,” Carrie whispered as Amy shot her a questioning look. Doing just that, Amy flinched at the loud metallic voice that broke through the silence. The pokémon didn’t move, though, just remained where it was.

Ledyba; When the weather turns cold, lots of ledyba gather from everywhere to cluster and keep each other warm.

This was a pokémon Amy had never seen before, or even heard of, which she found to be very exciting. It was one thing to come across rattata and pidgey, creatures she had seen countless of times before, but coming across this ledyba made her realize that she wasn’t home anymore. And while that was scary, she also couldn’t wait to tell Derek.

“They’re not often out alone, so there might be others around,” Carrie remarked, looking quite pleased at the sight of this small pokémon. Glancing over, Amy wasn’t sure what to do. Should she try and catch it, or just let it be? It looked relaxed, a ghost of a smile on its face, making Amy unsure what to do.

“Go on, try and catch it.”

Carrie’s urging caused her to grab Totodile’s pokéball. Very carefully, she released the pokémon, flinching at the immediate onslaught of sound. Obviously Toto couldn’t help himself, and the happy squawking – while usually rather endearing – startled the nearby ledyba. Before Amy even had the chance to shout a command, the bug pokémon opened its wings and took off. Hovering momentarily, it seemed to look down at them, before taking off. Two, three, four others soon followed, appearing from all sorts of places and then disappearing through the trees.

Amy stood defeated, trying not to feel annoyed with the pokémon currently pulling at some nearby plants. She knew Toto had meant no harm, but still she felt like she’d failed.

“Aw, that’s a pity,” Carrie commented, shrugging her shoulders as she looked into the distance. She noticed Amy’s crestfallen expression, for she walked over and patted her on the shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, Amy. Those things happen a lot. For every pokémon you catch, ten escape your grasp. If you’re lucky, you’ll find one that wants to fight you, and those are the best to catch.”

“I guess so.”

“Don’t beat yourself up over it, you’ll get your chance.”

Returning totodile to his pokéball – the pokémon had made short work of some of the plants they’d been standing next to, crushing them under his feet and tail in a very destructive fashion – Amy tried to take her advice, though for the next couple of minutes she felt very disheartened. Luckily the constant presence of rattata flitting past, attracting her attention, distracted the young girl, and she soon found herself feeling much better. It seemed that ledyba were like rattata in that regard – or like most pokémon, she mused – and she’d get her chance to try and catch one again. She just had to be patient.

-

The rest of the walk included much of the same, and while the occasional presence of pidgey, rattata and weedle kept her on her toes, Amy could feel her interest waning. Her legs were slowly growing accustomed to the endless walking, but her mind wasn’t, and Carrie seemed to notice that.

“You know, being a trainer is all about the travelling. You’ll have to get used to this. Just look at how beautiful everything is, Amy. Nature is a wonderful distraction when you get bored.”

Amy didn’t have the heart to disagree with her, even if Carrie’s love for things green was vastly beyond anything Amy cared for. So she smiled, taking in the thinning grass. They’d been ploughing through for almost two hours now, and it finally seemed that the terrain was changing. While earlier there’d only been trees strung along their route sparingly, up ahead she could see that the forest was getting denser. Everywhere she looked, trees blocked her view, and the thought of new pokémon excited her. Even if the warning Carrie had given her – where there were trees, beedrill were never far off – worried her as well.

They decided to take a short break once they got to the edge of the forest. A small path to their left showed where to go, and they sat down next to it. Amy gulped down some water, the way the sun was burning down on them not so pleasant now. It wasn’t as bad as it could be in the summer, but combined with the long walks, it was sure to put someone off.

“Have you thought about what you’re going to do once you get to Violet City? You said you wanted to challenge Falkner?” Carrie sat leaning against a tree.

Considering that, Amy looked ahead at the way the path was winding through the trees. The obvious choice was to challenge Violet City’s gym-leader, so that was what her first idea had been. What else did you do, but go and find the nearest gym?

“I figured I would, yeah.”

Carrie nodded. “Well, in that case, have you considered what your game-plan is? I happen to know he uses two flying pokémon, so you’re bound to get in trouble if you use your weedle.”

Amy hadn’t thought of that. She’d been so very proud to have caught another pokémon, but having two pokémon didn’t necessarily mean that things were going to be easier. Carrie was right, using a bug pokémon to beat a flying type was never smart strategy, and she had no illusions about the way that battle was going to end.

When Amy didn’t reply, Carrie spoke up again. “You know, you’d be best off waiting until you’ve caught another pokémon. There are some great bellsprout that live in Violet City, so it’s unfortunate that they won’t help you much, but I’ve heard you can also find gastly in the nearby Sprout Tower. You might find its hypnosis useful.”

That thought cheered her up slightly, because even though she hadn’t really heard about gastly before, the name still sounded fearsome and that was exactly what she needed to beat Falkner in her first gym battle. Still, that plan meant she’d have to catch one, and that was exactly what had upset her before. Thinking about it was nice, but actually doing it was another matter entirely.

“Come on, we better get a move on,” Carrie said, though Amy wanted nothing more than to stay where she was just a little longer. It wasn’t comfortable, but at least it didn’t include walking. She said nothing, however, the thought of her brother taunting her not a pleasant one. So she followed diligently, listening to Carrie’s chatter and trying to remember whatever tips she gave.

Eventually, after yet another hour of trudging along, the road that had been so small and seemingly meaningless, broadened. The trees parted and Amy could see a small house, situated near a fork on the road.

“Is that Mister Pokémon’s house?” Amy asked, but Carrie shook her head.

“No, that’s further still. Don’t worry, we’re not far now.”

So Amy followed again, passing the house – smoke twirled upwards from the chimney, and Amy regretted not being able to go inside the house and wind down – and taking the path that ran to its right. Carrie seemed to be quite sure where she was going, and not long after, Amy spotted the contours of yet another house, this one bigger than the first, though the trees.

Carrie seemed very excited by the looks of things, for she stepped up the pace and Amy had trouble keeping up. The older woman nearly ran the remaining distance, much faster than Amy had ever seen her walk, and by the time she had finally reached the house, Carrie had already knocked and was waiting impatiently.

Puffing slightly from the run, Amy leaned against the side of the house, trying to catch her breath. Inside she could hear movement and a voice talking, then the door opened with much creaking, leaving her to wonder how old this cottage was.

“Yes?”

An old man stood before them, hair unkempt and small glances dangling precariously on his nose. He looked the picture of a pokémon professor, lab coat smudged and hands fiddling with something even as he greeted them at the door. She couldn’t quite see what he was holding, but she figured it had to be something important, for he wasn’t letting go.

“Mister Pokémon, it is such a pleasure to meet you!” Carrie exclaimed, a blush of excitement on her cheeks. Whereas Amy couldn’t see what was so special about this man, Carrie seemed to be quite taken with him, and the moment the older woman declared she was a pokémon researcher, the both of them were ushered in.

“Pokemon researchers, eh? Oh, wonderful, wonderful! I have made such interesting discoveries lately, you wouldn’t believe! Only yesterday did I come to the conclusion that Lanturn, Mareep and Marill have to be somewhat related. You see they have this distinctive feature that is just too similar not to mean something.”

Amy didn’t bother telling the man that she wasn’t a researcher, for his ongoing chatter prevented her from doing so. As she listened to him, a growing feeling of confusion told her that this man might be considered a genius, but he wasn’t exactly smart. In fact, he seemed to come up with more and more unlikely theories about pokémon, one more crazy than the next, and Amy couldn’t believe Carrie was still listening to him with a revering look on her face.

Sitting down in a nearby chair, Amy realised this could take a while.

Last edited:

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Disclaimer: I do not own pokémon or any of its related enterprises. They are the property of their respective owners

Author's Note: I am still in the process of editing earlier chapters. It's going slowly, but surely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Seven: Pitch Black​

Soft talking could be heard from the other room. Amy sat quietly, watching as Totodile and Weedle munched on the pokéfood she’d given them. Carrie and Mister Pokémon, both clearly happy to see each other, had retreated to the back room and had been busy talking non-stop since. At first Amy had tried to listen in, but after half an hour of soil-sample discussion, as well as Mister Pokémon sharing information she knew to be false, she had given up and returned to her seat on the couch.

They’d been at it for almost three hours, and Amy could see that it was getting darker out. Soon, she knew, it’d be too dark to travel, and she didn’t much like the thought of being stuck with the two of them for an entire evening.

At the same time, though, she didn’t feel she could interrupt them. Not only had Carrie been invaluable help to her, but they were much older, and she had no doubt that asking them to stop what they were doing was considered extremely rude. So she waited, keeping a close eye on Toto so he wouldn’t wreck anything, and just leafing through the pokémon guide Carrie had lent her.

Violet City had been described in there as well, and the story of Sprout Tower had made her very curious to see it. Carrie had mentioned earlier, during one of her passionate talks about grass-pokémon, that it had been made in the image of a bellsprout, and now she knew why. According to the book, bellsprout embodied both sturdiness and the ability to adapt. They remained rooted firmly in the ground, but at the same time their agile bodies allowed them to twist and turn out of harm's way. Amy couldn’t wait to see and feel the rocking of the Tower that showed just that.

“Perhaps we can catch a bellsprout when we’re there, Weedle,” Amy murmured, awkwardly trying to pet the pokémon’s head without touching the poisonous barb that was there. It was sad that a pokémon like Weedle, very affectionate and quiet, simply wasn’t made for too much comforting.

The small bug pokémon just looked at her, eyes blinking like it was trying to understand what she was saying. Amy sighed, adding some more pokéfood to the bowls to at least keep Toto occupied. Who knew what the lizard was going to do once it ran out. Mister Pokémon wouldn’t appreciate his furniture being chewed on, she was sure.

Looking outside, catching the red glow that the lowering sun was casting over the forest, Amy wished they could have been in the pokémon centre already. While it was an event in itself to see the closing of a day through thick leaves, the thought of spending it on the forest floor or among her chattering companions left her wanting to leave straight away. But, instead, she waited. She'd gotten got at that.

Another half an hour later Carrie stumbled through the door, face red and excited, eyes sparkling like she’d just caught a legendary pokémon. At least it looked like she had enjoyed herself.

“Oh, my, Amy, look at the time!” Carrie shrieked as she spared a look outside. Amy didn’t bother to comment. “Mister Pokémon and I just had such a wonderful conversation about the gender differences among vileplume. Did you know the spots on their petals show whether it’s male or female? So very interesting.”

Giving a weak smile, Amy starting packing her things. Stuffing the remaining pokéfood in her bag, she tried not to notice how quiet it had gotten outside, and how dark the path looked. She had never been all too keen on the dark of night, and the thought of walking among feral pokémon – able to strike without her even noticing – left her sticking very close to Carrie.

The woman must have noticed her concerned hovering, for she smiled reassuringly and grabbed a pokéball Amy hadn’t even seen before. Of course she’d figured Carrie must own pokémon, but the thought of the cheerful researcher engaging in battle seemed ludicrous.

“Don’t you worry, Amy. It may be dark out, but I have just the pokémon to help us with that.”

As Mister Pokémon watched in the background, looking just as tired as Amy felt, Carrie released her pokémon.

Its cry sounded familiar to Amy, having heard it before on the TV in countless a pokémon battle. Its red skin was barely noticeable in the dark, clear eyes peering at them and seemingly hovering in mid-air. A flame, crackling whenever the pokémon moved, changed that, and Amy found herself face to face with a striking charmeleon.

“Amy, meet Torch.”

Receiving a haughty nod from the fire pokémon, Amy simply nodded back, too stunned to say much. This was something she hadn’t expected. With Carrie’s love for grass pokémon, she had assumed she’d own nothing but. Charmeleon, with its wicked ways and blazing firepower, did not fit the bill.

“Torch was my starter pokémon. Only later in life did I realize I wasn’t meant to deal with the hot and heavy types. Torch keeps everyone in line, though,” Carrie explained, glancing down at her pokémon with affection. It was clear she cared for him, but it also reminded Amy of how important first choices are. What if, years from now, she found out that Totodile hadn’t been the right pokémon for her?

“We better get going. It’s looking awfully dark out. Torch, light the way, please?”

The pokémon did as asked, tail swung forward to break through the black. It almost looked like the charmeleon was a guide, steering lost travellers away from peril. Only, this guide didn’t know where the road was, and neither did Carrie.

“I have to admit, it’s been a while since I last travelled these parts,” Carrie muttered, peering into the darkness but clearly uncertain about where they should go. “Violet City is to the North, I know that much, so we should probably just head that way.”

Amy, having been quiet the entire time, agreed quickly, simply wanting to get out of there. She hated the thought of a stray kakuna ending up falling on her head, or getting tangled in ariados’ web. Either way, the end-result would be much stinging and lots of pain.

So she followed obediently, limbs tired and eyes straining to see anything beyond Torch’s flame. The thought of travelling, when she’d been back at home, had been much more glamorous than this, and Amy wished they were at the pokémon centre. Nothing could interest her more, right now, than the sight of a welcoming centre filled with comfy beds and hot stew. Instead, though, the forest around them seemed to vibrate, every call and murmur causing Amy to walk closer and closer to Torch and his blaze.

Here and there, she could hear pokémon move. Rustling, coming from the bushes and up in the trees, betrayed their presence even as they tried to sneak up on them. A howl, luckily far, far away, sent a chill up her spine. No, walking around at night was not her thing.

In front of her, Torch paused, and the lizard pokémon huffed once, then twice, until Amy finally saw what he was so concerned with. Two spinarak, dangling precariously on a thin string of web, stared back at them. Their long limbs moved, creating a rippling effect, and the patches of yellow on the creature’s body stood out in Torch’s light.

Convinced she should start to act like a pokémon trainer and not some frightened girl – which, of course, she was – Amy grabbed her pokédex, listening intently to the voice she was slowly getting used to.

Spinarak: The web spun by spinarak can be considered its second nervous system. It is said that this Pokémon can determine what kind of prey is touching its web just by the tiny vibrations it feels through the web's strands.

She knew spinarak, of course, had been told bedside stories about being stalked by them at night. Especially the story of Tommy, stuck in a spinarak’s web because he’d been too hasty, had stuck with her through the years. Which might explain why she didn’t feel the need to inch closer like Carrie was doing.

“Oh, spinarak. They come out at night, you know.” Carrie seemed to be talking to herself more than anything. “But of course, that much is clear.”

The spinarak didn’t move, just stared at them with unblinking eyes. Torch was getting agitated, the flame on his tail growing slightly bigger as he eyed the two small pokémon angrily. Carrie didn’t seem to notice, instead motioned for Amy to come forward.

“See the patterns on their back? These two are relaxed, you can see it, can’t you?”

Amy just nodded, too scared to get anywhere near them. The two bug pokémon did look calm, but inquisitive at the same time. It should have endeared the pokémon to her, but instead she saw the way their hairy legs cast shadows against the tree next to them, creating images of monsters looming overhead. Too many tales had been told, too many evenings of hurrying home so she wouldn’t be out after dark.

“Can we go, please?” Amy asked timidly, edging around the duo to where Torch was now standing. Apparently he too had had enough and was now grumbling softly, a sound that did nothing but add to the gloomy atmosphere. Carrie seemed enthralled by them, but eventually she too left the spinarak behind. Amy stayed even closer to Torch now, convinced the charmeleon knew much more about which pokémon to avoid than Carrie did.

“Why didn’t you catch one?” the older woman asked, way too cheery for such a brooding night. Amy just shrugged, mumbling about already owning a bug pokémon, and luckily her companion dropped the subject. The look she was being given, even clear in the dark, spoke of slight annoyance, but Carrie seemed to remind herself that Amy was just a kid, and they continued in silence.

They walked until it was close to midnight, Torch’s flame dwindling down until he could barely keep it up. Carrie kept repeating that they must be close, but no matter how hard she tried to peer through the darkness, Amy couldn’t catch a glimpse of the lights that would betray the location of Violet City.

Even worse, suddenly Torch stopped. At first she thought the pokémon might have fainted from the strain; keeping a flame burning for several hours hard on anyone, but it turned out something else was keeping them from moving.

Small trees, standing so close together it looked like a great wall had risen up before them. Torch moved, but no matter where he went, there was no way through. Their way was obstructed by an impenetrable forest, and there was no way around.

They stood there, gazing at the way the path suddenly stopped, for quite a while, until Carrie gathered her good spirits – as she had a habit of doing, something that suddenly annoyed Amy to no end – and started pitching their tent. Amy, squelching the urge to sulk, joined her not long after, agreeing with her unspoken decision that going on had no use.

It was difficult to fasten everything the way it was supposed to, even with Torch valiantly trying to give them as much light as possible. Twice Amy hit herself in the thumb, three times she felt the canvas slip through her fingers, and she even had to suffer the indignation of realizing that she had lost two of the pens. Carrie found them a short while afterwards, lying discarded on the forest floor.

Half an hour, and much swearing later, Amy had curled in her sleeping bag, listening to soft snoring next to her. Outside the wind had picked up a bit, slapping branches against the tent. Howls, too, of pokémon she didn’t want to meet, and twice she had sat up straight as a shadow passed her tent.

Amy doubted she was going to get much sleep tonight.

-

The next morning, Amy awoke feeling just as tired as when she’d gone to bed. Muscles ached, not used to spending that much time on the ground, and she felt filthy from all the dust that now clung to her. Rising slowly, trying not to trip on her sleeping bag, Amy glanced around the small tent to find Carrie and her bags gone.

Yawning, Amy considered returning to the comfortable warmth of her sleeping bag for just a while longer, but even the morning chill couldn’t keep her from peering through the tent opening to see what kind of day it was.

Bright and sunny, she saw, rays of sunlight valiantly battling through flimsy white clouds, the sky a stark blue. The way it looked now, today was going to be much better, and Amy already looked forward to it. The woods would be much more interesting, now that she could actually see where she was going.

Carrie was already rummaging around outside, keeping one eye on the small fire she had prodded into action, the other on her pokémon enjoying breakfast nearby. Amy hadn’t seen any of her friend’s pokémon yet, save Torch, but it came as no surprise that two were oddish – looking as tired as she did, no doubt still coming to grips with the change in routine – and one was a bellsprout. One other creature Amy didn’t recognize, though, and she grabbed her pokédex – fumbling about a bit until she’d located it in her backpack – and aimed it at the small brown pokémon.

Seedot: Seedot attaches itself to a tree branch using the top of its head. It sucks moisture from the tree while hanging off the branch. The more water it drinks, the glossier this Pokémon's body becomes.

She’d never heard of the pokémon before, but according to the pokédex – which she was finally beginning to fully master – it was native to the Hoenn region. Not something you would find around these parts, then, and Amy was curious to find out how Carrie had caught the little thing.

Amy watched a little while longer, listening to the pleasant humming that she’d gotten accustomed to. Carrie was a definite morning person, rising with the first hint of sun like a flower blooming in spring. Her oddish, preferring to roam around at night and hide during the following day, seemed to be the exact opposite, but somehow it fit.

Torch, on the other hand, had grabbed his bowl of pokémon food and had retreated to a spot in the shade. Leaning against a tree, the charmeleon gnawed on his food like he hadn’t been fed in weeks, but still keeping an eye on Carrie at all times. It was curious, to see a pokémon so wrong for a trainer seem to right.

“Ah, good morning, Amy!”

Blinking, Amy turned to find Carrie beaming down at her. Apparently last night’s problems had been forgotten now that the sun had come out and the trees were green again.

“Good morning,” Amy responded, dusting off her knees as she crawled out the tent. It was still very early, she noticed, dew sparkling on some choice leaves here and there. Most of it had been lost, though, to the sun’s mighty glare.

“We don’t have any bread left, unless you like the moldy kind, but I made us some soup,” Carrie proclaimed proudly. Amy nodded gratefully, sitting down near the fire and accepting a bowl. She was quite hungry, not having eaten the night before, and she could use a hearty meal. Soup or not, it would do, and she really liked the smell.

They chatted amicably while they ate, Amy feeling much better after realizing Carrie wasn’t mad at her. She apologized, still, but Carrie waved it off and launched into another wonderful tale about her journeys. It was nice, Amy mused, to be sitting here and be able to relax. This was what she’d thought her journey would be like, lounging in the sun with friends near and a pokémon at her side. Only, Totodile seemed more intent on hitting the trees they’d run into the night before, rather than spend time with his trainer. Amy didn’t let it dampen her mood.

“Are you ready for Violet City?”

She nodded, slurping down the remainder of her soup. It had taken them a while to get there, but she couldn’t wait to see the Sprout Tower she’d heard so much about. Not surprisingly, Carrie spoke of it with much fondness, and it had made Amy intent to find out what it was like.

“I checked around a bit, and if you look closely you can see a path on the other side of these trees. That should be the right path,” Carrie continued, motioning towards the wall of wood.

Amy squinted, trying to find a spot where the trees weren’t so close together. When she found one, she realized Carrie was right, dark sand on the other side looking more manmade than it was supposed to.

“How are we going to get there, though? Will we head back?” she asked quizzically, not liking the thought of having to go back the way they came. Surely, paths should not lead to a dead-end.

“Not to worry, I have just the thing! Let’s first get everything cleaned up. You don’t want to know what damage a bit of plastic can do.”

Following Carrie’s lead, Amy gathered the two tin cans the soup had come from and put them in the leather bag her companion always carried. Amy didn’t want to know what rubbish the woman had collected, but it sure smelled vile. Then the two took to taking down the tent, which was surprisingly easy now they could see what went where. Already Amy feared the thought of journeying without it, for that would be reality should the two separate.

Once everything was packed and accounted for, both Carrie and Amy returned their pokémon to their pokéballs. Only bellsprout remained out, and Amy watched in fascination as the small thing waddled over to the trees up ahead.

“Now, watch this,” Carrie murmured, grinning at the curious expression on the girl’s face. “Bellybutton, use Cut!

It all happened so fast that Amy almost missed it. The bellsprout, not appearing strong at all, whipped its leaves around and with a hiss cut right through one of the trees. The tree seemed to object violently, a loud creaking wail sounding almost like a cry of pain, and then it broke in two, pieces of wood everywhere.

“I hate doing that.” Carrie sighed. “But it was necessary. Come on, let’s go find Violet City.”

An excited bounce in her step, Amy hopped over the poor tree and headed north. Today she was finally going to reach Violet City.

All in all, it took much longer than Amy had expected. Carrie had assured her that they were close, and the road-signs seemed to indicate so as well, but almost an hour into their walk, there still was no sign of Violet City. The path twisted and turned, leading them through grass and trees, and while the trip was pleasant, Amy was still frustrated that it was taking so long.

Once or twice, Amy had heard the buzzing of a beedrill, or the excited cries of a pidgey, but there had been no clear signs of pokémon, almost as if they too were out to annoy her. Carrie, on the other hand, remained as positive as always, and pointed out various places to find useful berries. She’d given them all to Amy, who held her berry bag – a small leather pouch – tightly, convinced the woman was going to find more.

So far two oran berries, one chesto berry, and a cheri berry that looked good enough to eat, had been found and treasured. Having seen Amy’s hungry stare, Carrie warned against eating the small thing and instead gave the young trainer a bag of sweets.

At one point the path took a sharp turn to the right, leading the two through some thick grass and towards the entrance of a dark looking cave. It was the first thing Amy had seen that wasn’t covered in leaves, but it didn’t look very inviting either. They lingered near the entrance for a bit, but decided against rash actions. It was doubtful that Torch would appreciate being used as a flashlight once again, and according to the road signs, Violet was west of them. Interesting cave or not, Amy really just wanted to get to Violet City now.

They followed the path again, dust clinging to their shoes as they walked, even the fresh sight of water not relieving them of the burning sun. Fishermen waved at them as they passed the small lake, leaving it behind without a care.

“You should get yourself a rod, you know. It’s the best way to catch water pokémon,” Carrie advised, but Amy was too excited to listen. She’d spotted a building up ahead and hastened her pace. Finally, she’d reach Violet City. It had taken way too long.

They had to turn left and right repeatedly before getting to the building, its base covered in beautiful flowers of all kinds. It was no wonder that the city was famous for its scent, for even the guardhouse at its edge smelled delicious. This time Amy couldn’t blame Carrie for fawning over the gorgeous plants, and while she was excited to finally see the grand Violet City, she also couldn’t help but stare with admiration at the view before her.

“How very beautiful,” Amy whispered, touching the delicate petals of a small, white flower in front of her. Carrie smiled, doing the same, and they stood there, gawking, until they heard footsteps close in from behind.

A boy, about Amy’s age, with a bouncing chikorita at his side. It was clear to Amy that this boy had to be a beginning trainer as well, his tired face and dirty clothes a testament to having spend time out in the wild. Not being used to such hardships took a lot out of a person.

They looked at each other for a second, but the trainer pushed his thin classes back and entered the building, showing no interest at all for the flowers or Amy. It was probably for the best, Toto would be at a distinct disadvantage should they fight, and Weedle’s last battle had been a disaster. This wasn’t the time to pick a fight.

“Come, let’s go in as well,” Carrie suggested, walking through the whooshing door of the sentry house. Grinning, Amy hoisted her bag higher, then walked through the gate to Violet City.

The first glimpse Amy got of the place was astounding. It being the second largest city in Johto, she had expected quite a bit, but nothing had prepared her for the bustling place that was ‘the city of nostalgic scents’.

Trainers walked to and fro, most young like her, some more experienced. Pokémon were everywhere, riding their trainer’s shoulder, hovering overhead, or bouncing proudly at their feet. It wasn’t surprising that she saw so many of them, because the first building she spotted was Violet City’s pokémon center, its doors never closing because of the constant flood of people wanting to get inside.

She could see nurse Joy through the window, looking remarkably calm as hoards of young trainers asked for her attention. Amy could only imagine what the woman had to go through, suffering the presence of so many teenagers not used to working with pokémon.

Carrie nudged her gently and they moved to the centre of the city, pushing through throngs of people. Now Amy could see that the place was entirely surrounded by trees, save for a few roads here and there, and that some of the buildings seemed to disappear in the shadows they cast.

Big buildings rose to her left and right, one proudly sporting the title of ‘Gym’ – something that caused Amy’s heart to pound a bit faster – and another ‘Earl’s Pokémon Academy’. Both looked interesting enough, but also engulfed in big groups of trainers. Amy couldn’t imagine having to live in this city. Peaceful as it was supposed to be, there were simply too many people around.

“A lot of trainers leave their home in the spring, like you have, and this is the first gym they’ll encounter, so it’s no surprise that so many of them are stranded here. You know, the first gym badge is the toughest. It’s reasonably easy to get here, but a lot more difficult to get out,” Carrie explained, sitting down on one of the few benches that wasn’t occupied.

All around them, kids were talking, high-pitches squeals occasionally breaking through the constant buzzing. Not even a swarm of beedrill could produce such a ruckus. Here and there a pokémon battle had started, commands shouted with much vigor. Not much else was said, for most of the pokémon battling knew only one or two moves.

“Most of the battles will be over at the Sprout Tower. A lot of trainers congregate there to train. These ones must not know about that yet.”

Amy frowned. “I think it’s rude to just start a pokémon battle in the middle of the city square.”

“Ah, but for a lot of trainers this will be their first real battle. They’re just testing their strength and forgetting about common courtesy.” Carrie chuckled softly. “They’ll grow out of that soon enough.”

That was true, of course, and Amy could understand why they did it. Just watching them, she felt excited, the feral growls of pokémon sending shivers down her spine.

In front of her, a recently caught sentret was valiantly trying to evade the sharp beak of someone’s hoot-hoot, and it was a sight to behold. Hairs went everywhere as the pecks finally hit, but the scout pokémon swung back its heavy tail and threw the bird to the ground. Both trainers cheered their pokémon on, repeating the same commands over and over again. Peck, tackle, scratch, all attacks just glanced off until finally, through sheer luck, sentret managed to slam the hoothoot against a tree, ending the battle and leaving one trainer very disappointed.

“I’ll be right back, stay here.” Carrie got up, but Amy was too busy turning her attention to another battle – a battered looking caterpie and an excited pidgey – to say much in return. That battle soon ended, but before the winner had been declared, another one start just behind her, and Amy was so busy trying to pay attention to all of them, that she didn’t notice someone had sat down next to her until purple wings rested on her shoulder and she turned around to find herself face to face with humongous eyes.

Last edited: