• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Caught in the Moment. (PG)

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
God, I always look forward to your reviews. ^^ They make me happy, plus they're useful. Wonderful combination.

I thought that Tricks (whose name I like, by the way ^^) was well-described, with regards to both her appearance and her personality. I found her mischievous behavior amusing to read about, though I imagine that if I had been in a position like Amy's, actually having to deal with such a creature, I would not have been amused. XP And I felt sorry for Tricks when she was out in the wind--it was clear that the poor thing was very scared there.

Glad you like her name! I spent quite some time agonizing over it. I considered Minx at first, but it had too many connotations that I didn't like. Then there was either Trix, or Tricks, but I figured using phonetic names is so cliché, might as well just use what it's supposed to represent.

Describing her was fun as well. I'm not a huge fan of gastly - I hate gengar with a passion, too - but describing them is fun. Plus, you get to work with their fun nature. ^^

Speaking of Tricks, there were some humorous moments in that chapter that I particularly enjoyed, and they both had to do with her. One was when she was all wrapped up in string and Amy thought she looked like "something a meowth would play with"--I thought that was great. XD The other was when Toto was trying to scratch the heck out of Tricks following her capture, with no effect on her other than making her laugh and mock him--it made me laugh, too. XD

*snickers* The idea of poor Toto being unable to hit the ghost came to me when I was planning their first encounter. When I realised Toto wouldn't have anything to hit the critter with, it was a logical step to combine it with his proud nature.

At any rate, the sight that Amy's just been greeted with has clearly had quite the impact on her. Her reactions to what she's just seen seemed very believable, too.

That was a terrific chapter, and one that I doubt I'll forget anytime soon. Well done. ^^

Hee, thank you! Glad to hear you liked it. This was definitely my most beloved chapter to date, even though the destruction of National Park isn't at all pleasant.

Thanks for reviewing! ^^

Last edited:

Claudius Darling

The weird one
I've just finished catching up and I must say that I've come to really love this story. ^^

The latest chapter just made me look at Dodrio in a completely new light, I always thought of them as just flightless birds that can run fast and didn't really stand out much but now I see how fun and interesting they can be with their multiple heads and personality. Oh how well you've put them into the story. <3
The same with Weedle, I've come to like them more now.

The one thing that bugged me about this story is the first incident with Carrie. It seemed too odd to me how she suddenly decides to travel with a complete stranger she only met for a few moments on the spot. Other than that I find her character rather unique.

I simply cannot wait for the next chapter to be posted, this story has taken so much of my interest. ^^

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Claudius: Thank you for the lovely review! It's always great to hear from readers, so I appreciate it a lot. ^^

It's funny, actually. I liked neither weedle nor dodrio very much before writing this, but it's changed a lot. Now I think weedle is adorable and dodrio very cool. Strange how that happens, isn't it? XD I'm glad to hear you liked them, because I loved writing their personalities.

Ah, yes, I can see what you mean. When writing it I pictured Amy to be a follower and Carrie a mom-type. Carrie is a pleasant, concerned kind of woman, and Amy a bit of a pushover, so I figured if Carrie suggested they journey together, Amy'd agree. I'll have to look at that again, though. ^^

Glad to hear you like it! The next chapter is about halfway done, so it shouldn't be too long.

Thanks!

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Long time, long time, long time. I just had so much trouble with this chapter. I didn't feel it at all. I'm getting the plot going, but am also trying not to give too many hints away and argh it's killing me. Anyway, next chapter.

~

Disclaimer: I do not own pokémon or any of its related enterprises. They are the property of their respective owners.

~

Chapter Eleven: Tumbling Emotions.

It was hard not to feel affected by the air of desperation that clung to the area. Trainers, locals, and pokémon alike were gripped by the death and destruction that their beloved park had become. By now the fires had been put out, though here and there some smoke still twirled upward. The fire-brigade had left, confident that they'd done their best, and had made way for the police-force and its investigators. Growlithe and arcanine searched the surroundings for clues, but no one expected them to find much. It was hard to find clues amongst nothing.

Watching with dull eyes, Amy gripped the bench she'd found. It had been one of the few left untouched, so close to the entrance that it had been surrounded by stone instead of grass, and the spot where she'd stayed for almost an hour now. Angela had wandered off, taking her pokémon to a friend's house to get some rest, and Jason had been in a spirited discussion with Bugsy, the leader of Azalea's Gym.

Amy had never seen the man before, but she'd heard the stories. He'd been gym-leader for nine years now, one of the youngest and most talented trainers of his day. Many had called him a fool for choosing to train the runts of nature, but he'd proven them wrong by remaining in his position for almost a decade. Now, having passed twenty, he was older, but had yet to lose his boyish charm and easy smile, though you wouldn't say so when looking at him now.

She couldn't hear what the two men were discussing, but the looks on their faces spoke of annoyance and anger. Not that she could blame them. So many lives had been lost, so many pokémon had perished, and no one knew why. Amy had caught a snippet of their conversation after having been introduced to the brilliant bug trainer, and realised that Officer Jenny from Goldenrod City suspected foul play. Not an accident, then, but arson. It caused Amy to shiver.

Next to her, becoming an expected fixture whenever she needed companionship, Weedle munched on a berry Bugsy had given him. Somehow seeing a happy bug pokémon in the park made Amy feel even worse, but his presence was comforting nonetheless. The small bug seemed to feel something was up, but Amy wasn't sure he knew the severity of what had happened. She hoped not.

Sullen faces everywhere made her sigh heavily. Most people had heard the story on the news, or been alerted by friends, but now and then a tired looking boy or girl would wander in, not having heard anything, and pause with a shocked look on their face. Expecting to find the vibrant National Park, bug catching contests in full swing, they'd found a vast expensive of nothingness instead.

“Amy?”

The girl looked up to find Jason and Bugsy standing next to her. The latter gazed over the park with sad eyes, finding it hard to deal with so much destruction.

“Do they know what happened?” she blurted out, wanting to know whether or not the suspicion had been proven yet. The two men looked at each other, then Jason shrugged.

“Very early yesterday morning a young couple who'd stayed in the park overnight discovered a small fire had started near the eastern entrance. It's been so dry the last couple of days that it spread like wildfire,” he explained, voice soft. Amy’s teeth gnashed together. “The boy raced to the Park's main entrance to alert someone, while the girl and her golduck attempted to contain it. Unfortunately, they didn't stand a chance, the blaze was too big, and they had to run to safety. It took the resident fire-squad nearly a full day to master the situation and even longer to completely eradicate it.”

“Do they know what started it?”

Jason shook his head. “No. It was a quiet night like all others, the boy and girl said, and aside from a predatory shriek by a hoothoot or noctowl, they hadn't heard a thing. It was too late at night to have been started by natural causes, though.”

Amy now shared their grave look. She'd pretty much figured that it couldn't have been an accident, but had still hoped beyond hope that the cause hadn't been vindictive human hands. No wonder the police were still all over the place, they had a criminal to catch! He, or she, could be anywhere by now, though, as the mighty wings and strong legs of pokémon could carry people far and wide. Heck, for all they knew the culprit was sailing pleasantly on his pokémon's back by now, lost to the sea.

It made Amy feel horrible. Her view of being a trainer hadn't included such grim occurrences. She'd expected a bit of trouble, sure, but the destruction of a beautiful park and all its pokémon? That hadn't been part of the plan. Glumly following Jason and Bugsy as they left the park, Amy held Weedle tightly.

-

They had a quiet, early dinner outside the park, relaxing on the grass while Bugsy handed out sandwiches and some soup. No one said a word and the same thing could be said for the countless of others who had occupied a spot on the field. Trainers had gathered there, no longer able to enter the park and too far from either Goldenrod or Violet City to go back now. They'd probably have some food and then head off, discussing the disastrous things they'd seen along the way.

Amy didn't have much of an appetite, but she gobbled down two ham-sandwiches anyway. Jason had been quite adamant that she couldn't stay, Bugsy had asked for his assistance, and had suggested she let Angela take her back to Violet City. At first Amy had tried to reason her way out of it, but she knew it made sense. The closest city was Goldenrod, which wasn't a place for little girls to wander around on their own. Plus, a girl with a totodile, weedle and gastly would find herself annihilated by the resident gym-leader and her normal type pokémon. No, going back to fight Falkner made more sense in the long run. It still hurt to leave her friend behind, though.

Luckily, there seemed to be a quiet understanding between Jason and Bugsy, both providing support for the other, and she was convinced the Azalea Gym Leader would take good care of her travelling companion. Indeed, Jason's anger had slowly dissipated after some quiet and comforting words from his mentor, something Amy hadn't thought possible.

Angela arrived not long after, smiles and bubbly personality gone after having had to witness such tragedy. She greeted Bugsy with a tight hug, then did the same to Jason, before walking over to Amy and flopping down on the grass.

“We should probably leave within the hour if we want to make it to Violet City before nightfall,” she commented, staring up at the glaring sun. It seemed to be mocking them, but Amy paid no heed.

“Okay,” came the mumbled reply, and Angela got up again. A hand rested momentarily on Amy’s shoulder, providing a bit of comfort, before the dashing woman walked off to go sit with the adults. It was getting pretty late, evening already upon them, and Amy had a feeling they wouldn’t reach Violet City on time. Still, she slurped down the remainder of her soup and checked her things. At least she’d brought her sleeping bag, that would be useful should they have to resort to sleeping at the side of the road.

Not soon after, Angela finished her talk with Bugsy and Jason, motioning for Amy. The young girl did as asked, smiling slightly as Jason gave her a pat on the shoulder.

“You’ll be fine, Amy, and I’ll see you soon enough,” he assured, winking. “Good luck against Falkner.”

“Thanks.” She sighed, not looking forward to leaving him here. She was, however, looking forward to returning to Carrie’s comforting presence. If she was honest, Amy felt like she was being thrown in on the deep end, having to deal with issues that were so far above her she couldn’t reach. Being in the presence of a gym leader, be it one of bug-pokémon, reminded her how far she still had to go.

A bright flash and Bold appeared next to his owner. The bird shook his feathers, calling out shrilly as nails pawed at the grass. He looked as imposing as ever, clearly not troubled by the long journey he had been on the day before. There was a hint of impatience to him, though, as he nearly pecked Angela in the hand.

“Well, someone’s eager,” the woman mumbled, hitting him on the head the second time he tried to lunge for her. Against her will, Amy was pulled forward, and Jason lifted her up in one swift motion. Soon Angela too mounted the bird, and slipped one arm around Amy’s waist. Today wasn’t going to be quite as fast, so there was no need to burden more than one of Angela’s prized pokémon.

“It was nice meeting you, Amy,” Bugsy called out from where he was standing. He’d been joined by several young kids, probably asking him for something, but smiled encouragingly anyway. “Perhaps I’ll see you at the Gym one day!”

Before she had time to reply, Angela gave her dodrio free reign. With a huge lurch, Amy was thrown back and only Angela’s vigilance kept her from fallen. Unable to look over her shoulder with her current companion blocking the view, she simply held on and let herself be carried. It was going to be a long evening.

-

Several hours into their run, it was clear they weren’t going to make it back to the city in time. Bold, having chosen to make the most of his bout of freedom, had eluded Angela’s angry shouting and dashed straight into the forest the minute the woman had let the reigns slack again. Once they were back on the road, they’d made good time, but the bird had done quite a bit of harm to himself and once Angela noticed they’d made one of many pit-stops.

At the moment they were setting up camp. Having retrieved some rocks to create a stone circle with, Amy focused on the fire while Angela fed her pokémon. Aside from the two dodrio and Timid, the doduo, she apparently also carried a crazy sounding sandslash, which had propped itself up against a tree and was digging at the roots with its hind legs while it ate. Amy was staying far away from all of them, lest she end up sliced to bits by razor-sharp claws.

Finishing lighting the fire – which took a lot longer than she thought it would, but ended up being easy when Angela handed her some matches – Amy pulled her bag close and huddled deeply into her comfortable sleeping arrangements. Comfortable, at least, compared to sleeping on dirty soil. Angela had chosen a good spot to stop at, sheltered completely by some large shrubs. They weren’t too far from the road, but wouldn’t be noticeable – even with the fire – leaving them as safe as could be. Still, Amy held her pokéballs close and just hoped that sandslash was good for something other than making scary looking sounds on a nearby tree. She could only imagine what it had done to the unfortunate tree’s bark.

It was hard to fall asleep, one side warmed by the blaring fire, the other cold in the night air. Not only chilly, there were sounds everywhere that Amy wasn’t used to. Angela was already fast asleep, but every branch snapping, or every call from deeper into the forest, made Amy shift closer to the fire. She much preferred the tent.

Eventually even the ten year old fell asleep, tired body just not coping with the stressful last couple of days. She had never been away from home longer than she’d been now, and it was beginning to get to her. Dreams of grand victories were chased off by images of charcoal and dust, and she was in for a rough night.

-

Very early in the morning, it was the proud calling of a dodrio family that woke Amy with a start. Bold, Curious and even Timid were happily cawing at the rising sun, clearly not intending to let them sleep much longer. Groggy eyes tried to find Angela, but the older woman had tied her three trouble-makers to a tree and left. Where, Amy didn’t know, but she’d probably taken the sandslash with her.

Happy to be given the chance to wake up slowly, Amy yawned. There was an urge to just stay in the warmth, but the watery sun was bravely attempting to brave the chill, so Amy did the same. Stretching aching limbs, she shook some sand out of her clothes. Sleeping in outerwear wasn’t too comfortable, but she hadn’t felt comfortable changing in front of someone she barely knew. Besides, she didn’t know who else could be watching. It meant, however, that some tossing and turning had dragged sand in, and that she’d be pulling twigs off her clothes the entire day.

Tugging at her hair, she sighed as she noticed how tangled it’d gotten. Grabbing the only brush she’d thought to bring, she attacked the mess with silent ferocity. If she was going to walk around in Violet City, then it was at least going to be presentable. Trying not to notice the way all three birds were eying her oddly, she walked around the area in an attempt to distract herself from the painful pulling at her head.

With a lot of gritting of the teeth and angry shouting, Amy eventually managed to free herself of hair resembling cobwebs, though the brown mess looked like it had seen better days. A good shower should rectify that, she supposed, but at the same time the person looking back at her – the small pocket-size mirror didn’t give a terrific view – looked worn-out and tired.

“Ah, you’re up!” someone called from behind her and Amy turned to see Angela and her sandslash coming through the trees. “Danny and I were just getting some water.”

The vibrant young woman was carrying a heavy pan, aided by a solid claw holding it steady. The humongous sandslash, scales slightly dusty, looked a lot more relaxed now and incredibly focused. Amy figured it had to be a set routine, this carrying of water, and she was proven right when the pokémon lowered carefully to set the pan down.

Angela wiped her brow, then grinned. “Nothing like a bit of hard work to wake you up. Anyway, there’s a little stream not too far into the forest, in case you want to wash up and stuff. You can’t miss it, really.”

“Don’t you want me to help you prepare breakfast?” Amy asked timidly, eying the trees with a bit of distrust. So far she’d seen quite enough of trees, and she had no intention of wandering around in there getting lost.

“Nah, that’s fine. It’ll go faster if I do it on my own.” The woman looked at her. “You can take Danny with you, if you’re afraid to go alone.”

“I’m not afraid ,” Amy started, but then smiled sheepishly. “Okay, perhaps I would prefer to take him with me. I’m not used to this whole ‘walking in the woods alone’ deal yet.”

Angela smiled. “Don’t worry about it, we all had that at one point.” She turned to the sandslash. “Danny, tag along with Amy here for a bit, would you?”

The pokémon turned his head curiously for a second, but eventually seemed to get the idea. Large claws swinging freely, his scales made a scraping sound as he walked, and Amy suddenly wondered if this was such a good idea. Swallowing, she dashed into the slight undergrowth in search of that stream Angela had mentioned. It couldn’t be far.

Then again, it appeared their ideas of ‘far’ differed a lot. After ten minutes of walking aimlessly from tree to tree – making sure to always keep her back to where she knew the road was – she had yet to find that stream the woman had mentioned. Danny trudged on regardless, though, and Amy just followed. He had to have an idea where it was, because he looked pretty determined.

The forest wasn’t as scary as she’d imagined, though, for there was a light air to it. The roof overhead wasn’t quite as thick, letting in a lot more light, and the wildlife was beautiful. Already she’d seen plenty of pidgey gawk at her from a tree, or a bellsprout quickly hiding behind a bush. Hadn’t it been for the pace Danny was moving with, she might have tried to catch it, but the thought of losing her temporary guide disturbed her so she hurried on.

There were rattata holes, too, neatly hidden by shrubs or tree-trunks. Amy was getting good at finding them, these little secret kingdoms tucked away underground, and had a pokéball in hand just in case she spied one of the critters inhabiting the dark holes. They wouldn’t get away, if she had anything to do with it.

It wasn’t until Danny stopped and his spiky back stood on end that Amy realised there was a soft trickling sound reaching her ears. With the large mouse pokémon by her side, she made for it, convinced she’d finally found what she’d been looking for. Indeed, once her companion slashed some tangled vines through, she caught a glimmer of blue up ahead. With hasty steps, she dashed towards it, pausing only when she noticed she wasn’t the only one looking to use the stream.

Near the small, snaking vein of water, amongst some boulders and rocks, sat three purple creatures. They were bigger than a rattata, though not by much, but had the same sharp teeth and purple hue. Large ears framed their face, beady eyes looking around in alarm every time something moved in the bushes. While two drank, one surveyed the area, as if afraid they were going to be attacked.

Holding her breath, Amy cautiously grabbed her pokédex, not wanting to alert the spiked critters of her presence. She was half-way sure she knew what these pokémon were, having been told of the poison pokémon that sometimes found their way into people’s homes to steal food. Many a meowth or growlithe had been poisoned trying to defend its house from these sneaky intruders. Still, some extra information wouldn’t hurt, especially regarding their gender. Pointing her bright red machine at the three, Amy pressed the button.

Nidoran, male. The male nidoran has developed muscles for moving its ears. Thanks- the pokédex began, its volume causing Amy to flinch. She’d forgotten to turn it down like she’d done with Tricks. Looking over at the stream, she could just see purple bodies dashing into the nearby foliage. They were gone.

“No!” Amy shouted. “Don’t go!”

- the ears can be freely moved in any direction. Even the slightest sound does not escape this Pokémon's notice, the pokédex finished, as Amy stood there, defeated, and slammed it shut with a growl.

Sulking, she stuffed the pokédex in her pocket again and tried to ignore the inquisitive looks she was getting from the sandslash standing next to her. Had he been human, she would have said he looked amused, but as it stood he was probably just wondering what she was doing.

“Don’t look at me like that,” she murmured, dropping her bag near the water as she grabbed her towel and started splashing water in her face. She was happy to be on the other side of the stream, though, as she didn’t want to worry about being poisoned. Who knew what the nidoran had left behind?

After finishing wiping her face and arms, she plunged a cup into the stream and gulped down as much cold water as she could. Having been used to a diet consisting of way more expensive beverages, it came as a surprise that she’d quickly learned to appreciate water in the way she did. Mere weeks ago, she’d never have dared to drink from a natural source.

Feeling refreshed and ready, though still a bit annoyed her pokédex had scared away those nidoran, Amy got up and trudged back through the forest. Danny made some noises now and then, but aside from that only the sounds of the forest floated her way. Distant calls, by pokémon she wasn’t familiar with, and constant rustling in the trees. While at first she felt anxious at that, she learned to take it as it was. She wasn’t going to be attacked if she stuck to her way and didn’t touch a thing.

Here and there, she caught a whiff of flowers, smiling at small, white droplets of beauty growing where the canopy had parted. It was amazing to see what life there was to a forest.

Once she got back to the camp, she felt she’d accomplished something. Sure, she’d had the protection of Angela’s sandslash, but still she’d managed to walk around in an unknown forest on her own. Not something she’d ever done before.

She could see the pan Angela had carried all the way from the stream – a huge accomplishment in itself – was already bubbling, and the air smelled of soup. Angela wasn’t the only one there, though, as Amy took note of a young boy slurping down some of the no doubt tasty food.

“Amy, there you are! I was getting worried you’d gotten lost,” Angela greeted her, immediately scooping up some of the soup into a bowl for the young trainer. Sitting down on a nearby log, Amy gratefully accepted it and dipped some bread into the liquid.

“It took a bit longer than expected,” she admitted, turning to the boy. “Hi, I’m Amy.”

The other trainer, grinning shyly as he wiped his mouth, nodded at her. He was large and bulky, for his age, speaking of years being treated to the best of food. Standing next to an enormous backpack, he looked rather imposing, but there was a shyness to him that Amy more than recognized. It was like looking in a mirror, when it came to that.

“I’m Jackson. Miss Angela here was kind enough to offer me some food.”

Angela grinned, grabbing some herself. “Jackson has only recently started on his journey, just like you.”

“I did train pokémon before that, though. A little, at least. My dad imported one from Kanto and we caught the others together.”

Amy felt slightly envious of that. Sure, she’d had plenty of experience helping train pokémon, but she could only imagine what rare pokémon this boy owned. Money sure did buy everything.

“I’m clumsy and forgetful, though,” the boy admitted, gulping down the last bit of soup. “I can never quite follow what’s going on. I have yet to win a badge because of it.”

“Have you tried often?” she piped up, and the boy nodded.

“Three times now. Falkner’s pidgeotto keeps taking us out. So I’ve been out here training.”

“Perhaps you two should have a battle. You both have three pokémon, right? It would do you good,” Angela suggested, throwing some bread to her sandslash. The two kids looked at each other, not too sure if they wanted to take each other on this early in the morning. A part of Amy felt too discouraged with the world to have a solid battle, but she knew the gym was coming up soon and if she wanted to win she’d better get in some practice.

“Okay,” she muttered hesitantly, causing Jackson to nod as well. Both finished their soup, though rather slowly, and with a rather gleeful referee explaining the rules, they were ready to begin.

It was odd, suddenly being forced to think about tactic and moves, especially after the disillusionment they had been subjected to at the National Park. It was clear life moved on, even after such tragedy, and Angela seemed very cheerful and composed already. Amy figured she had seen something like this before, though she couldn’t remember ever having heard about things this terrible on the news.

“Okay, who will send out first? Ladies first, or do you want to, Jackson?” Angela asked, sitting down comfortably on a log as both trainers faced each other on the sandy road. It was still early, so with any luck they wouldn’t be encountering any trainers while they battled. Up above a lone spearow cawed at them, then sped off into the distance. It was quiet.

“I’ll go,” the boy said, grabbing a gleaming red pokéball from his bag. Large fingers curled around it, then whipped the thing into the air. With a by now familiar flash of light, a pokémon appeared. It looked a bit confused to be out there, but large ears and beady eyes turned to Jackson soon after, waiting to be ordered what to do.

A large tail was used as leverage as the sand-coloured pokémon raised up, looking at Amy as well. She had seen plenty of pokémon like this before, but it was still a sight to see. Had Amy been more of the girly type, she might have squealed in delight.

“A sentret!”

Jackson grinned. “Yeah, this is Bess. I caught her a couple of weeks ago.”

She’d seen the speedy critters follow them through the tall grass, but never caught more than a glimpse. Like most pokémon, they were on their guard around humans, though these were rather notorious. Working well together, the scout pokémon always seemed to have an ace up their sleeve, something Amy had found out at a young age. Trying to protect her lunch from agile paws and quick feet had proved to be too much of a struggle and she’d ended up crying her eyes out. Fortunately there had been no extensive trauma for the little girl and she gazed at the tawny-haired beauty with appreciation.

“She’s gorgeous.”

The large boy opposite her smiled, petting the sentret on its head. Amy, not so enamoured she’d forgotten what the plan was, had already grabbed the pokémon she wanted to start out with. Her newly caught gastly would be of no use and she wanted to start out strong, so the choice seemed obvious.

“Come on out!” she called, almost dropping the pokéball in her haste to release her pokémon. Blushing, she was glad the resulting flash hid her awkwardness. Instead she focused her attention on the scaly water pokémon that appeared before her.

Toto looked overly pleased that he’d been let out, eyes gleaming as sniffed the air and pounded the ground with his tail. It was almost like he was wagging it. Amy had allowed him to walk around a bit whenever they took a break, but she had gotten the idea he wasn’t feeling all that well about himself. Tricks and him had an unbalanced truce going, mostly caused by the fact that Amy kept them well apart. Which was difficult when dealing with a creature that could pass right through her. She shuddered at the memory, as it had been a rather gross sensation.

“A totodile!” Jackson smiled, clearly pleased with his opponent’s pokémon. If that was because he thought he had a chance, Amy didn’t know, but she felt a scowl coming on regardless. Yes, Toto was awesome, but other trainers should be worried when facing him, not happy to see him.

Though she had expected her little blue critter to snap at the demure sentret facing him, Toto reacted quite the opposite. He chattered softly, but remained where he was. Almost as if dealing with Tricks had made him more hesitant to approach others. Amy wasn’t sure she liked the change.

“You can go first, if you want,” Amy offered, and Jackson nodded. Squaring her back, the girl waited for Bess’ first move. She knew enough about the basic move set of these common pokémon to know what to expect - a lot of fast and agile normal-typed attacks – but also knew that it was likely the two of them had a trick up their sleeve.

“Bess, use quick attack!” Jackson ordered, and immediately the sentret leaped into action. With a powerful push from the tail, she was off, and charged at Toto in a zigzag pattern. Amy felt startled, unaccustomed to having to react this quickly, and Toto too seemed frazzled by the tawny blur heading for him.

“Scratch!” she yelled frantically, asking Toto to use the first attack that came to mind. Glinting claws were raised, hind legs firmly planted. He wasn’t going to move, no matter what the scout hurled at him.

Bess had reached him in no time, crossing the distance between them like she was a spearows flying at top speed. Toto brought down his claw the moment his eyes caught sight of his opponent’s eyes, but it caught nothing but air. Almost like he was fighting Tricks all over again, he couldn’t touch the blur and the sentret connected with him heavily. Thrown backwards, the totodile gave a cry, landing on the dusty road and tumbling until he came to a halt against a tree.

“Toto!”

Jackson’s pokémon hadn’t stopped running, flitting between trees as she attempted to hit Toto once again. Amy recognized the worrying state her pokémon was in. Not so much physically, but the ever-moving eyes said quite enough.

“Dodge,” Amy said forcefully, just as Bess had jumped again. The young trainer had no intention to lose, even if her strongest pokémon wasn’t himself. Luckily, Toto seemed to agree, for he threw himself on the ground. The sentret kept on going, turning in mid-air to swerve away from the solid tree she almost flew into. She landed gracefully on four agile feet.

“Damnit,” Amy swore, wringing her hands as she watched Toto get back to his feet. He didn’t look hurt, aside from his pride, which was something at least, but she also knew he couldn’t keep up. Bess was slightly out of breath, but by the time she was too far out of it Toto would be done.

“Again!”

Before Amy had time to react, Bess was off again. Trainer and pokémon followed the movement with their eyes, Amy’s mind racing to come up with a plan. Such speed was really too much for them.

“Leer, Toto!” she tried, but he didn’t seem to hear her. His eyes had narrowed, anger apparent in them, and he’d thrown his arms backwards. To Amy’s surprise a jet of water suddenly sprouted from his mouth. The direction was off, and the execution weak, but there was no mistake; Toto had learned water gun somewhere along the way. She didn’t know when – perhaps he’d just figured he could – but she was both proud and annoyed. Proud he had grown enough to know it, and annoyed he’d just ignored her order.

Toto’s inexperienced water attack did nothing except occasionally make the sentret change course, but Toto didn’t seem to care. He just kept on using it, even when Amy repeatedly told him to use leer instead. He was ignoring her completely.

She could feel Angela and Jackson watching her, but Amy was too busy feeling petrified to look at them. Toto, of all pokémon, was ignoring her? Then what would Tricks do?

Forced to do nothing but watch as her starter was again and again thrown backwards, only to get up and continue his spray of water, she swallowed nervously. The attack was getting weaker and weaker – and Toto’s stance more uncomfortable – but the stubborn creature held on.

“Toto,” she begged after yet another painful meeting with a tree, but he didn’t even look at her.

Jackson didn’t have that problem. “Finish it, Bess!”

With a sickening crack part of the tree splintered as Toto was flung into it. He didn’t get up. Struck by the quick end of this one-sided battle, Amy wondered how this had happened so fast. Bess couldn’t be much stronger than Toto was, but her speed had been enough to blindside them completely. Even if she was completely winded now from all the running.

Gnashing her teeth together, Amy quickly recalled the passed out pokémon lying not far from where she was standing. It felt wrong, having to put the pokéball back on her belt even though Toto hadn’t been able to do much. Almost as if she was abandoning him.

Grabbing the next pokémon from her waist, she suddenly realised how important this next battle was. If Weedle couldn’t win, then things would get incredibly tricky. Attacking a normal type pokémon with ghost attacks was never easy.

“Go,” she whispered, releasing the small critter with a flick of her wrist. No grand gestures, she felt bad enough as it was. Appearing in front of her, Weedle looked a lot more relaxed than Toto, but she could see he realised they were battling again. There was an air about him when that happened, like his pride reared up whenever he was expected to fight for her.

“You go first,” Jackson said, not even reacting to the sight of the tiny bug. Clearly he was surprised to see such an unlikely fighter.

“Okay, thanks.” Amy swallowed. “Weedle, quickly, use poison sting!”

Amy had hoped to catch the tired sentret by surprise, but before Weedle had as much as moved the scout pokémon had already started zigzagging again. Amy could see the confusion on his face, a sense of terror to his eyes. She didn’t know if sentret ate bugs, but it couldn’t be a pleasant sight regardless. Had she been his size, she would have been scared out of her mind.

“String shot!”

They were valiant attempts, but none of the shots reached. They landed on a tree, or a nearby bush, or occasionally struck the ground. Amy was at her wit’s end, trying to figure out how to deal with the extreme speed their opponent was showing. As Weedle kept aiming his strong shots, but always missing, Amy’s nails dug into her palms as she hoped for a possible way out to present itself. There was even a flicker of hope that Weedle would evolve, but she knew better than that. He hadn’t won enough to get even close and luck never showed up when you asked for it.

It was then that something akin to luck showed up, though Amy wasn’t sure whose luck this was. Catching both Jackson and Angela looking behind her, Amy cautiously turned her head. Expecting the buzzing danger of beedrill heading for her, the vision before her was a sight for sore eyes.

A group of wagons, pulled by graceful looking ponyta, left tracks on the road as they made their way towards them. It was still early in the morning and the fire pokémon pulling those heavy wooden vehicles looked a bit drowsy, but it was a wonderful sight nonetheless. Three, four, five in total creaked and sighed as they rolled past them. Both trainers stood in awe as they were greeted by stagehands, acrobats and wranglers alike. Catching two charmeoleon and a Mr. Mime through one of the windows, it was clear what was going on. The circus had arrived and were heading for Violet City.

Last edited:

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Since it appears that the fire at the National Park was indeed a case of arson, I now find myself no longer wondering if the fire was deliberately set but instead wondering exactly who was responsible and why the one (or ones) who were responsible chose to set that fire. o.o The matter of that fire was something that caught my interest from the start, and now it interests me even more.

I liked how Amy's Pokédex frightened those Nidoran away. It just made so much sense--of course they'd run from the loud, unexpected noise of the thing. Again, I love the nice little realistic touches in this story. ^^

Speaking of the Nidoran scene, I loved the fact that the Pokédex specifically mentioned that "even the slightest sound does not escape this Pokémon's notice" after it had very effectively proved that about Nidoran just a moment prior. XD That made me laugh--the timing of it was just brilliant, I thought. :D

Toto ignoring Amy's orders and insisting on sticking to his most recently learned attack made for not only an interesting twist in the battle but also an interesting twist with regards to Toto as a character, I thought. ^^ It's definitely made me curious about what's going on in his scaly little head at this point in the story.

One thing that I pretty much always enjoy is a surprising ending, be it to an entire story or to an individual chapter. This chapter, like the one before it, definitely had an ending that I wasn't expecting. I thought that the arrival of the circus was a neat surprise. ^^

Nice work once again. ^^ I certainly look forward to the next installment. ^^

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Aw, thank you! It's always great to wake up to a review by you. ^^ (Regardless if I was a couple of days late or not, heh.)

Since it appears that the fire at the National Park was indeed a case of arson, I now find myself no longer wondering if the fire was deliberately set but instead wondering exactly who was responsible and why the one (or ones) who were responsible chose to set that fire. o.o The matter of that fire was something that caught my interest from the start, and now it interests me even more.

Hee, I hope you have just as much fun finding out what the deal is. The fire is part of the overarching plot that's finally coming into play. I've been dropping little hints left and right and I can't wait till people start catching up on them.

I liked how Amy's Pokédex frightened those Nidoran away. It just made so much sense--of course they'd run from the loud, unexpected noise of the thing. Again, I love the nice little realistic touches in this story. ^^

I love realism in fanfiction. So often I come across stories that just defy logic altogether, that it's made me adamant not to fall for that myself. Would you, as a wild pokémon, remain there so someone could catch you? I sure wouldn't.

Writing about the circus is really fun, so I'm glad I added that. I figured it'd spice the battle up a bit if there was a sudden appearance like this.

I sincerely hope you'll enjoy the next chapter as much as you did this one. :) Thanks for the lovely review!

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Disclaimer: I do not own pokémon or any of its related enterprises. They are the property of their respective owners.

~

Chapter Twelve: The One That Got Away.

The crackling of a fire provided an eerie background for Amy as she pondered all the things that had happened to her over the last couple of days. Everywhere around her people had fallen asleep or were grooming their pokémon, snoring and soft words drifting on the wind. Angela and Jackson had retreated to set up their tents, leaving Amy to stare at the flickering red and yellow.

They’d been greeted warmly by the oncoming slew of performers and had decided to travel with them towards Violet City. Compared to the awesome speed Amy had become used to, they moved at a snail’s pace, but she didn’t mind. To be able to relax was a novelty after so many hours clutching coarse leather.

The sun had set before they’d reached the city, so the wagons had been pulled into a circle near the road. Amy had sat gawking as pokémon upon pokémon was released and urged to help set up camp. An impressive dugtrio had carefully dug out space for a fire, and even the moist branches they’d found were easily ignited by a charmeleon’s fiery breath. They’d been huddled up in one of the wagons as rain splattered the roofs, though the ponyta didn’t have the same luck. They’d pulled on, nickering in annoyance once or twice, but were thanked with a good meal and gentle hands afterwards.

“What are you thinking about?” Angela asked, sitting down next to the young girl. Her hair looked rather spooky in the ever-changing shadows, but Amy wasn’t surprised by things like that anymore.

She shrugged. “Nothing much. Just that things are so different.”

The woman nodded, holding out her hands towards the radiating heat. Having to fasten iron clasps on soaked grass had left her a bit chilly and wet. Amy just stared. Her match with Jackson had been put on hold in favour of hitching a ride, but she knew she’d have lost. Being faced by someone clearly more experienced than her made her feel like battling that bug-catcher the very first time. She didn’t really know what she was doing, even if she imagined she did.

She’d thought long and hard about a strategy, some way to beat Bess with just her weedle, but instead the sneaky suspicion that the rest would have done Jackson more good than her had wedged itself firmly inside her mind. If anything, it would be harder, regardless if she had time to plan.

Solemnly staring into the moving fire, she wondered what Derek was up to. She hadn’t heard from him yet and it made her feel abandoned. True, she had friends around, but nothing comforted her more than the voice of her brother telling her it was going to be alright. If there was anything she had learned over the years, then it was that her big brother was always there for her when she needed him the most.

“I wonder, sometimes, if I’m cut out for this.”

Angela looked up at Amy’s soft tone. A look was on her face, almost wistful, but one that Amy didn’t really recognize. The woman was thinking of something that Amy wasn’t privy to and something she shouldn’t ask about. Where Amy had only just started to etch her path in history, Angela had left her mark already and remembered.

“No one knows,” the older trained murmured. “No one knows until they either turn back or can’t imagine anything else. Until then you’re always just trying to do your best.”

“Have you reached that point yet?”

A smile curved lips. “Sometimes I think I have, but other times I wonder if I’m not just pretending.”

“That doesn’t help much,” Amy responded grimly. Turning her attention back to the fire. Next to her Angela nodded, giving Amy a quick pat on the back. The two sat there, waiting for the fire to die out and their sleeping bags to look really inviting. They wondered if their fire would die out as well.

-

The square appeared abandoned, empty except for the rustic wooden benches and a nearby street lamp. It was still light out, but it burned regardless, almost as if it expected evening to come swiftly. A strong breeze whistled and moaned, pulling and kidnapping leaves as they struggled to remain attached to their branches. It cut, the wind, slapping at skin and turning it red.

A young girl approached hastily, eyes turned to the grand scene before her. The ever-changing motion of water captivated her mind, but she could not halt. She was already late and had to hurry.

“Hold up!” a friendly voice called, a lone figure stepping out of the shadows. The child felt almost chastised by it, the welcoming tone a stark contrast to what she expected to receive when coming home late.

“I’m in a bit of a hurry,” she admitted, pausing. “I had to be home ten minutes ago.”

“Oh, that’s quite a shame. I’d hoped to trade pokémon with you. You see, my poliwrath has gotten bored with fighting and he’d much rather just stay with someone who can play with him. I’d figured maybe you would be interested.”

The girl’s eyes lit up at the thought. Poliwrath were rare pokémon to see, even in a town where water stones were found quite regularly. She bit her lip, unsure of what to do. Her only pokémon was a sluggish kingler, evolved not because he wanted to but because he was too lazy to stay the way he was. It had gotten the girl’s father to stop training him, leaving him to sleep often and eat more. The young trainer was convinced Kingly wasn’t worth trading for a caterpie, let alone a splendid poliwrath.

“I just have my kingler,” she mumbled, but the other person smiled.

“Not to worry, a kingler’s just what I was looking for. How about we trade our two pokémon? I’m sure my poliwrath would have a lovely time with you.”

“Do you think that would be okay? I mean, I’m not very experienced.”

A soft chuckle. “Oh, he’s very friendly, don’t you worry! Trust me, it’ll be fine.”

Teeth worried lips again. She had never traded a pokémon before, yet the temptation of owning such a grand water pokémon pulled at her. She’d be respected, she’d be able to impress her father, and Kingly wouldn’t mind. He was just a pokémon, after all, and for him a new owner would just mean another person not to listen to. The girl grabbed his pokéball. The person before her looked friendly enough, so she held out her only pokémon.

Her voice was firm as she spoke. “Okay, I’ll do it.”

-

There was a chilly wind blowing as Amy briskly stepped through the long grass tickling her calves. The ground was still soggy from too much rainfall and her shoes were muddy. She’d have to clean them if she ever wanted to enter the Pokémon Centre again without pissing Nurse Joy off. She’d seen the way a young boy had been made to clean the entire building after trudging happily through the diner area in dirty boots.

Soft whistling drifted towards her, the result of pidgey waking and greeting each other. They’d replaced the constant calls of hoothoot, short wings beating lazily as they started their first trek of the day and searching for food.

It had been several days now since the unfortunate accident –as the newspapers called it – at the National Park and Amy had slowly gotten back into a rhythm. Spending most of the day on her own, she really had no one to talk to about what she’d seen there.

Crouching as she heard rustling nearby – the patches of thick grass surrounding Violet City were never empty – Amy touched the pokéball at her waist until the noises ceased. Waiting for them to start again, she kept her breathing steady and her body still. Nothing. After several minutes she sighed and straightened up again. It was probably still too early to catch pokémon off guard.

The last couple of days had been spent moving between the woods near Violet City, the Sprout Tower, and the overcrowded Pokémon Centre, like the sway of the ocean and never the same. She’d gotten used to it, this revolving scene of change yet similarity, as she’d gotten used to doing more and more on her own. Derek had yet to call, vexing as it was, and with both Jason and Angela at the National Park Amy really only had Carrie to fall back on. Carrie, who spent most of her days on her hands and feet looking through shrubbery. With the downpours of late, she had high hopes of finding her precious oddish and had shown no interest in training with Amy. So, she’d been working on her own and occasionally moving up the Sprout Tower to find herself some opponents.

Toto was still restless and difficult, but both Weedle and Tricks had come a long way. The ghost still showed signs of being green, like sudden lapses of concentration and the urge to float around their opponents in curiosity, but she’d taken to the mental battle that was such an important part of battling. Weedle, ever a fighter, had worked hard on his use of string shot and was definitely the most hardened of her crew. No rattata could bring him down, no pikachu could scare him and no matter how much stronger the pokémon he’d always try to get up. It was just a shame that his poison sting required a very close proximity.

Amy wasn’t sure why her starter pokémon would be the one to cause trouble, but she had the idea it had to do with a wounded ego. Though she had tried hard to come up with a solution to their troubles, they had still lost hopelessly to Bess and her quick feet, leaving Jackson with a well-earned bonus. Toto hadn’t been the same since, almost as if he felt ashamed for losing. Amy had tried hard to patch up his shredded pride, but beating caterpie did nothing but sour him even more.

“Watch where you go, there’s a hole there,” Carrie commented as Amy finally reached the woman’s camp. Instead of staying at the Pokémon Centre – like a sane person, Jason would have said – Amy’s friend had chosen to pitch her tent under a large, overhanging tree so she could be up and about at the break of dawn without disturbing anyone. It hadn’t been surprising, for Carrie had always preferred nature to whatever man came up with.

Stepping aside, just missing the rattata hole dug there, Amy dropped her bag next to the charred remains of a campfire. Carrie welcomed her with a smile as she sat down and took a lump of bread. It wasn’t overly tasty, but Amy’d suffered worse.

“So, any news?”

Amy looked up. “Not really. The National Park is being cleaned at the moment, but they’re expecting to start planting new seeds soon. The ground should be fertile enough, once they clear away the rubble.”

“Hopefully that’ll attract some pokémon to come back too.”

“Yeah. Until then the contests are on hold, of course. I guess I’ll just have to come back later.”

Carrie gave her an admonishing glare, but it was done out of mocking. Soon she was smiling again, giving her younger friend a pat on the back.

“Don’t worry, if there’s anything we’ve learned from this then it’s that the National Park won’t go anywhere. It will be there the next time you venture that far.”

There was a pleasant silence between them then, as they ate side by side. With a watery sun daring to brave the clouds, things didn’t seem all that bad. After a couple of days of daily reports on the destruction at the National Park, things were going back to normal. All too fast, Amy sometimes thought, but it was the world continuing on that also comforted her. Nothing could stop the world from spinning.

“What about your family?” Carrie asked, passing Amy a bottle of water she’d no doubt taken from a nearby spring. “Have you heard from Derek yet?”

A small frown, then Amy shook her head. “No, nothing. Mom and Dad hadn’t heard anything either. They think he’s probably still crossing the waterways. They’re not too worried, but I wish he would just hurry up already.”

If she were honest, she’d have admitted she desperately wanted to talk to her brother. All the death she’d seen had made her realize that she wasn’t ready for anything drastic to happen to those she cared about and she needed to just hear her brother’s comforting voice. She needed him to tell her everything was okay and he was off having adventure after adventure.

“I’m sure he’s just enjoying himself a bit too much and got carried away. You know how boys get,” Carrie said, her gentle smile easing Amy’s worries. She wasn’t alone. Not yet, at least.

After days of having fun with the people at the circus – including a rather disastrous battle with one of the stage-hands – Amy had felt the urge to do something else. Something that didn’t include wasting time on activities she could have done even if she hadn’t become a trainer. So she’d trained even harder and focused on her upcoming battle with Falkner.

While scheduled far in advance, the amount of people looking to challenge the gym leader every day had made the wait a very long one. She still had two days to go, but already her stomach was turning with anticipation. Even with the practice she’d had and the growing amount of battles, a gym fight was something else entirely. Still, she wanted to get out of here and not without that badge she’d set her sights on.

A flash of red to her right made her look up. A nasty smell assaulted her senses, causing her to stifle a shout of disgust. Next to her, swaying from side to side, stood a gloom. Petals dripped with undiluted honey and the stench was horrendous, yet Carrie didn’t seem to notice.

“Isn’t she just gorgeous?” the woman asked, hands reaching out as if she wanted to touch the creature. “She evolved late last night. I was so surprised!”

“Ahuh,” Amy mumbled, coughing as she tried to take in deep breaths of fresh air but failed. “She’s charming.”

The pokémon in front of her looked depressed, if nothing else, though there was a shine to her eyes that betrayed some amusement nonetheless. Amy examined her closely, from large petals to speckled bulbs, but she couldn’t really find anything that could be classified as gorgeous. As she sat there holding her breath, she wondered why she’d even come out here at all. She could have been in bed still, but instead was sitting on cold dirt and inhaling the most foul of scents she’d ever come across.

“She has such a lovely scent, too. Don’t you agree?” Carrie asked, the gleeful expression on her face almost convincing Amy to lie. However, she couldn’t.

“You’re delusional,” the young girl muttered, but her friend didn’t seem to hear. She just prattled on excitedly and touched the air as if it were a substitute for touching her gloom.

“Did you know you can smell her from miles away? The honey is meant to attract prey, so its scent has to be really strong,” Carrie explained, leaving Amy to just sit there and nod. “Oh, and the honey, when mixed with some common wildflowers, used be used to create a strong poison. Of course I would never use my gloom for things like that, but-“

“Carrie!” Amy interrupted, not willing to sit through another lecture on grass pokémon. While she had nothing against them and Carrie’s fervor could be a rather pleasant distraction, it was way too early to start already.

“Oh, gosh. I’m sorry, Amy, I get carried away sometimes.” The woman smiled apologetically, immediately returning her pokémon to her pokéball. The air seemed to clear immediately and Amy inhaled, thankful for the change.

The rest of the morning was spent talking amicably about their families and whether or not they had any plans for the day. Carrie was hoping to search for some oddish while it was still early and wet, but Amy had no real plans. As they sat there, watching the world around them wake up, it felt much more peaceful than the last few days had been. With Amy constantly surrounded by the hustle and bustle of Violet City and Carrie far, far away in the field, they hadn’t had much time to just sit around and relax.

A rattata, tail raised high, skidded past. It paused, ears twitching as the two humans stared, before sprinting off again. Amy didn’t bother to move, they were too fast for her anyway.

It was a blessing, to sit here and watch the sun creep ever higher and the grass become greener and greener in its glow. The rustling became heavier, heads poking out here and there, and everything seemed to come alive. Compared to the overcrowded Pokémon Centre and a violent Sprout Tower, this was something Amy could get used to.

-

Trudging along through grass, grass and even more grass, Amy felt sweaty, dirty and gross. It had been two hours since Carrie had convinced her to go and search for oddish with her and she was beginning to feel like Carrie had it in for her. The older woman seemed to dance through all the green – albeit heavier set and much older – while Amy struggled and felt her legs itch.

Oddish were nowhere to be seen, as usual. While bellsprout could occasionally be seen popping their colourful heads above the sea they were marching through, oddish were either totally invisible or simply not there. Amy was starting to dislike the critters with a passion.

Next to her, not looking too pleased either, walked Torch. His tail was raised just above the grass, but the expression on his face told her he wasn’t happy with it. His savage eyes, glaring as the group continued on, spoke of wanting to tear all this grass to pieces.

“Carrie?” Amy tried, watching the woman crouch down and push aside some bushes. “Have you ever actually seen an oddish here?”

“Oh yes,” came the answer, which caused Amy to perk up. If there were oddish, then this wasn’t all in vain. “But that one was owned by a trainer. Suffice to say, they weren’t too happy with me measuring their pokémon’s leaves. That’s how you can tell where they’re from, you know.”

Grumbling profoundly, Amy swiped at the knee-high grass and left Carrie to root through the dirt. Instead she sat down under the first tree she could find.

The sun had come out full force, bathing them in way too much heat. Everywhere around them flowers bloomed, giving rise to the nickname Violet City had been given. ‘The City of Nostalgic Scents’ was full of them, though Amy wasn’t sure where the nostalgic came in. Probably something about the Sprout Tower and its long history.

Watching as Torch settled beside her – they were kindred spirits when it came to Carrie and her research – Amy gulped some water down. It wasn’t until Carrie had joined them, her hands even dirtier than they’d been before, that Amy noticed something from the corner of her eye.

“Carrie, what’s that?” she asked as she pointed towards something floating lazily on the air.

At first it looked like a pink blob, nothing more, but as it drifted closer Amy could see what exactly it was. A pokémon.

Green antennas, leaf shaped and occasionally moving around when the wind blew the creature in the wrong direction, sprouted from its head. A bright, round body seemed to float effortlessly on even the smallest gust, as short limbs moved in mid-air. Beady eyes stared down at them as the pokémon calmly moved past. Its big ears twitched as Torch let out a particularly loud huff, but it simply continued on, not deterred.

“Oh, that’s a hoppip,” Carrie answered, a fond smile on her face. That was enough for Amy to figure out it had to be a grass pokémon – if the green sprouting from its head hadn’t told her so already – but got to her feet regardless.

Carrie got up too, standing next to her. “Are you going to catch it?”

“I’m going to try!”

It wasn’t hard to follow the hoppip as it moved through the air. While there was a breeze, it wasn’t very strong and occasionally the hoppip would drop down as the wind died. Then, with the next gust, it would spring up again and happily float along. Amy ran alongside it, almost able to touch the velvet looking skin, and grabbed a pokéball from her waist.

“Tricks, use lick!” she yelled right after releasing her ghost pokémon. Tricks would be the only one able to get close enough to physically attack the small grass type, so it was an easy choice.

The gastly hovered for a moment, blinking at the brightness of the sun – she had never been much of an outdoors kind of pokémon, preferring the dark corners found in structures of old – before narrowing her large eyes on the hoppip still floating along merrily. It didn’t seem to notice anything, or able to do anything about it. It made Amy feel bad, for a moment, but she gritted her teeth together anyway.

With a soft cackle Tricks proceeded to fly circles around the hoppip before attacking her brusquely with her strong tongue. A shudder racked the small body, then it started to glow. Sparkles, like fireflies dancing in the midnight sky, flitted around the round grass pokémon. While Tricks watched, enamoured by the pretty lights, it closed its eyes and glowed even brighter. Everyone stared, then the glowing ceased and the hoppip continued on its way.

“What the…” Amy muttered. “Tricks, use lick again!”

Encouraged by Amy’s determined tone, the ghost circled around her opponent again and did just what she’d done before; licking a very calm hoppip in the face. And just like the first time, the hoppip started to glow and seemed fine afterwards.

Frustrated, Amy continued to follow along as her pokémon and the one she was trying to catch floated above them. Carrie and Torch, watching with interest, kept back, though Amy could still hear her friend as she called out.

“The hoppip is using synthesis, Amy! Check your pokédex!”

Doing just that, Amy grabbed the red device she always kept in her pocket and searched for the correct entry. While finding pokémon was easy enough, specific moves were still a bit tricky, so Amy had to run to catch up with the two pokémon once she’d found it.

Synthesis. This move is mostly used by grass pokémon and restores health, depending on the weather conditions. The nicer the weather, the more health is replenished.

“Restoring health?!” she called out. “That’s cheating!”

The pokémon didn’t seem to care as it neared a nearby lake. Amy saw the danger of losing the grass pokémon over the serene blue, so she immediately turned towards Tricks.

“Use spite to limit that move, Tricks!”

Not waiting for her pokémon to use the twirling and distracting move spite – which somehow included Tricks pulling a lot of silly faces, something Amy doubted was really necessary – the young girl grabbed a second pokéball from her waist. Weedle was released, not too far from the water’s edge, and Amy ran towards him.

“Weedle, use string shot on that hoppip,” she urged, getting ready to grab hold of her weedle in case he wasn’t heavy enough to keep the hoppip grounded. Which she doubted, looking at the way the most gentle of breezes had kept it floating so far. A determined look in his eyes, Weedle aimed and fired his long string shot. It darted right past Tricks, who had just finished her dance, and towards the pink menace they’d been trying to catch.

For the first time since meeting them, the hoppip seemed to care what was going on. In one quick motion the creature started moving in the air, entire body contorting to the right and away from Weedle’s blast of string. Again Weedle shot some string, but a leap to the side – though the hoppip didn’t seem to have much control over it – once again steered the grass pokémon away from danger.

Amy raised her pokédex when, for the third time, hoppip’s movements evaded the attack. Weedle just kept on trying, but they were getting closer and closer to the water’s edge. Tricks kept zooming around their opponent – one eye on Weedle’s string shot, the other on the pink ball trying to get away from them – in the hopes of distracting her, but it was getting precarious. Amy scowled as finally her pokédex explained what was going on.

Splash. Splash is an ineffective move that involves the user flopping around to no effect at all.

“Well, it’s having an effect now!” Pushing her pokédex back in her pocket, Amy simply watched in defeat as Weedle’s shots no longer reached the calmly floating hoppip. Even if Tricks could attack the small critter, Amy had no hopes of ever reaching them with a pokéball. Recalling Weedle and screaming for Tricks to come back, Amy stared out over the blue expanse. Encircled by thick, sturdy trees, it didn’t look like something she could easily run around. If she’d even make it in time. Glaring at the pink dot moving away from them, Amy gave up.

-

Gripping the wooden seat she’d been sitting on for the last ten minutes, Amy stared at the giant arena before her. It had been quite a walk to reach the top of the gym, where the battlefield was situated, and her legs were tired from the walking. While not the tallest building in the city, it was certainly high enough to give her trouble.

In front of her she could see the dusty field, even except for small rocks here and there, that served as Falkner’s domain. A flimsy layer of dirty rested on solid concrete as a circle of benches and walls surrounded it. There was no roof, letting in every gust of wind and allowing bird pokémon full advantage. Winning here wasn’t going to be easy.

Now Amy was watching carefully as another young challenge, probably her age, was trying to best Falkner and his birds. It was late in the day and Amy knew many had come before her. She’d been outside, most of the time, relaxing on one of the benches while her pokémon rested safely in their pokéballs. She’d not been willing to take any chances that short before her first gym battle.

Which was also the reason why she was already, apart from wanting to see Falkner fight one more time. Sitting in the stands, watching, had become a favourite pastime of her. Especially when a more experienced trainer challenged the impressive gym leader of Violet City. Falkner’s pidgeot was a beauty to behold, one Amy had only seen fight once.

Mostly, though, the challengers had been trainers like herself. Young, up and coming trainers, with their cyndaquil, totodile or chikorita. Very few managed to win.

Nervously watching as one of Falkner’s pidgey – he seemed to own quite a few – dodged the overly eager jabs from a beedrill’s stinger. If the trainer didn’t watch out then his bug would find himself caught in painful claws soon enough. The most important thing she had learned from watching was that trainers wanted too much too fast. Speed wasn’t the key here, as very few could outrace Falkner’s birds, it was more important to remain calm.

Amy couldn’t keep her eye off the pidgey as it tore through the sky. There was something off about its movements, though. For weeks now she’d seen majestic dives and strong, beating wings, yet this one seemed unsteady. Something caused the bird to shake.

“What’s up with Tweet?” someone next to her asked. Two teen boys, both wearing the Violet Gym emblem, sat next to her and talked quietly. One of them looked worried, the other confused.

“Falkner’s birds have been very lethargic, for some reason,” the other answered. “You know, I even saw that new hoothoot almost fall over when he tried to land on the gym leader’s shoulder. I don’t know what’s going on, but they’ve been losing a lot of battles today.”

“Man, that sucks. Do they know why?”

A shrug. “Nope. Maybe something in the air, or they’ve eaten something they shouldn’t have. You know how greedy some of them are. A bit of chocolate and they’re all over it.”

“I guess,” the first boy replied. “Good news for challengers, though.”

Eyes narrowing on the shuddered movements of the pidgey – trying very hard to evade stingers and do some damage at the same time – Amy couldn’t help but agree that there was something amiss. The pidgey’s movements were slow and not quite as sharp, though still fast enough to stay well ahead of the beedrill and its green trainer.

The young girl held her breath. Maybe this was the chance she had been looking for.

Last edited:

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
First of all, I really liked the gloom scene. :D The way that Carrie was praising the gloom's scent while Amy was... shall we say, not enjoying it very much definitely amused me. XD

I liked Tricks's specific spite style--I can just imagine the faces she made. XD And the mention earlier in the chapter of her floating around an opponent in curiosity when she's supposed to be fighting that oponent amused me, too, though I'd imagine that I'd find it less amusing and more frustrating if I were her trainer and trying to win a battle using her. XD;

Splash actually working to the hoppip's favor falls under the "amusing to me as a spectator but it'd probably piss me off if it were to actually happen to me" category, too. XD I remember how in at least one of the Pokémon Stadium games, the announcer would, upon the use of that move, ask, "What's the point of splashing?" Looks like that question's now been answered. :D

The lethargy affecting Falkner's pokémon intrigues me. o.o I can't help but wonder about just what its cause might be.

I'm also pretty intrigued by the events of the italicized scene. Speaking of that scene, I liked Kingly. He amused me, especially due to the circumstances of his evolution. Letting himself evolve simply because he couldn't be arsed to try and prevent it from happening--I thought that was very funny. XD

That chapter was fun, I thought. ^^ I'll be back for the next.

Estuary

єѕѕ-cнєw-єrry
I'm happy I found this 'fic here, it's quite a gem. Time to review!

Ch. 13

Amy was staying far away from all of them, hence she end up sliced to bits by razor-sharp claws.

Hence doesn't make sense to me here, shouldn't it be 'lest'?

Yes, Toto was awesome, but other trainers should be worried when facing him, not happy to see him.

I adore this line.

Ch. 14

It had been two hours since Carrie had convinced her to go and search for oddish with her and she was beginning to feel like Carrie had it in for her.

Yet another great quote.

Amy feel bad, for a moment, but she grit her teeth together anyway.

I think this should be gritted.

You've thrown in so many mysteries! The fire, Falkner's bird problem, that trading scene [which was just so fishy]... I really can't wait to see some more hints. Also, I loved the hoppip chase, one of my favorite scenes yet. If she battles Falkner next chapter, I will squee, I love reading your realistic battles and I think that one will be epic.

Keep up the great writing, your style is so simple but it pulls you in- can't wait for the next chapter. 'Til then!

Fhhfh you don't have a PM list. ;(

Last edited:

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Sike Saner:

Heh, yes, I had a lot of fun writing the gloom scene. I was inspired by the gloom pokédex entry which stated: Smells incredibly foul! However, around 1 out of 1,000 people enjoy sniffing its nose-bending stink. I figured Carrie would of course be someone who enjoyed it, whereas Amy was a lot more sensible in that area. ;)

Tricks is a joy to write. Her mischievous nature brings a lot of life to the battles, which is good for a writer - and reader, apparently - but not quite as amusing to Amy.

Yeah, I had the idea of having a pokémon use splash in their favour a while ago when looking through grass pokémon Carrie might own and saw hoppip. Splash had to be useful somehow, right? Especially if it's really the only attack a pokémon knows. Splashing around does create movement, so I figured it would be useful this way.

The lethargy affecting Falkner's pokémon intrigues me. o.o I can't help but wonder about just what its cause might be.

I'm also pretty intrigued by the events of the italicized scene. Speaking of that scene, I liked Kingly. He amused me, especially due to the circumstances of his evolution. Letting himself evolve simply because he couldn't be arsed to try and prevent it from happening--I thought that was very funny. XD

They both tie into the over-arching plot. You could have guessed the answer to your first mention already, since I've been dropping little hints throughout the story so far, but it's doubtful anyone knows as they weren't very clear hints.

I love creating pokémon personalities and I was just so amused by the idea of a lazy kingler who couldn't be bothered to do much of anything, including stopping his evolution. It must be hard on the girl, though, having had him as her first pokémon.

As usual, thanks very much for the lovely comment!

-

Estuary:

Thanks for pointing out those errors. I don't know what I was thinking. -_- I'll be editing them in a moment, so thanks a lot for that.

Aw, thank you! I'm glad you like the action so far. All those little mysterious will be explained sooner or later. Probably later, though, as they're part of a mystery plot I'm slowly unfolding.

I'm happy to hear people liked the hoppip scene. I had a lot of fun writing it, too. :D And Amy will most definitely face Falkner next chapter, so I hope it meets up to your expectations. ^^ And thanks for the lovely compliment!

Ah, yes, well I'm really too forgetful to keep a PM list going. I post whenever I'm done editing and having to remind myself to PM certain people would no doubt end up failure. Perhaps you could subscribe to the thread, if you want to be made aware of updates?

The Houndoom

Trainer of darkness
Oh wow, i just read almost everything... Stil have to read the chapters on this page... But i really felt the urge to post to your brilliant work!!!
I absolutely love your writing technique, i myself have tried many Pokemon Fan-Fics and i must say that most failed. But your story has truly inspired me to start up microsoft word once more and give it 110%!
Toto is a very cute character, best Totodile ever :D
About the battle that went for a whole chapter, i loved it. Pokemon need battles, a Fic without them isn't much of a Pokemon Story ;) So that chapter was (so far) my fave!

EDIT: I just read Chapter 12... Amazing. The description of the scenery while the trainers were riding the Dodrio was incredible, it made me want to go out and find me some giant, three-headed bird to run around on XP I really liked the names too, Tricks, Timid, Curious and Bold. Timid being my most loved name. Speaking of Timid, was she a Doduo? And if so why did she only have one head? I first assumed she must be young but then something you said made her seem older. But i guess that's just how Doduo's are when they're young in your story? It is yours after all :D Nice job.

EDIT2: Read all the chapters now, i'm very up to date XD
The Nidoran seen was just wonderful, although i really do wish she manages to catch a Nidoran, or even a little Rattata. But i love how realistic you've made it!
I remember when you'd trade a Pokemon over and make it really strong a little too fast and it would stop listening to you. When Toto learnt Water Gun i was amused with how he ignored Amy and continued to use it.
I have a feeling that the problems with Falkner's Pokemon has soemthing to do with the Park. Like the two things are loosely related.
Can't wait for the next chapter ;)

Last edited:

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
The Houndoom.

Aw, thank you so much for the lovely review! It's always great to hear you've inspired someone, especially when it comes to something you enjoy so much. Writing is a great release for creativity and I hope your story ends up being what you want it to be. ^^

About the battle that went for a whole chapter, i loved it. Pokemon need battles, a Fic without them isn't much of a Pokemon Story So that chapter was (so far) my fave!

I enjoy writing battles a lot. One of the greatest things about writing them is coming up with nifty approaches to common attacks, such as Poison Sting or String Shot. I mean, you wouldn't think writing a battle including a weedle would be that much fun, but it is!

I just read Chapter 12... Amazing. The description of the scenery while the trainers were riding the Dodrio was incredible, it made me want to go out and find me some giant, three-headed bird to run around on XP I really liked the names too, Tricks, Timid, Curious and Bold. Timid being my most loved name. Speaking of Timid, was she a Doduo? And if so why did she only have one head? I first assumed she must be young but then something you said made her seem older. But i guess that's just how Doduo's are when they're young in your story? It is yours after all Nice job.

Bless, thank you so much. I loved writing the dodrio scene a lot, so I'm glad you liked it. I liked toying with the names as well, hee.

You are actually the first here at Serebii to notice the one-headed doduo. I had a bit of a laugh with that one, because no one seemed to catch its uniqueness. I actually have an entire backstory for her, though I've never had the chance to write it. She was born like that and her having only one head is exactly the reason why she is so timid - and thus named Timid - compared to other doduo/dodrio. My idea was that doduo and dodrio were feisty because their two/three heads conflicted with each other. I know I'd be confused and angry too if I had to deal with another person controlling my body. So Timid having only one head would explain her relaxed nature.

I have a feeling that the problems with Falkner's Pokemon has soemthing to do with the Park. Like the two things are loosely related.

Maybe, or maybe Amy's just that lucky. ;) Who knows?

Thanks for the lovely review, it's great to hear someone's enjoying my story like you are. I hope the upcoming chapters will be up to standard and that you'll enjoy those as well. ^^

Thanks!

The Houndoom

Trainer of darkness
I enjoy writing battles a lot. One of the greatest things about writing them is coming up with nifty approaches to common attacks, such as Poison Sting or String Shot. I mean, you wouldn't think writing a battle including a weedle would be that much fun, but it is!

Yes, i loved how Amy had Weedle lay a trap in the Sproute Tower for the Bellsprout to get stuck in, the entire time i was thinking 'Come on, step back and get stuck!'
It was very well described.

You are actually the first here at Serebii to notice the one-headed doduo. I had a bit of a laugh with that one, because no one seemed to catch its uniqueness. I actually have an entire backstory for her, though I've never had the chance to write it. She was born like that and her having only one head is exactly the reason why she is so timid - and thus named Timid - compared to other doduo/dodrio. My idea was that doduo and dodrio were feisty because their two/three heads conflicted with each other. I know I'd be confused and angry too if I had to deal with another person controlling my body. So Timid having only one head would explain her relaxed nature.

Really? Wow...
Ahh, like how other animals are sometimes born different. So will Timid (Although we most probably won't hear about it) have two heads or still just one when she becomes a Dodrio? But yes, the conflicting makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the lovely review, it's great to hear someone's enjoying my story like you are. I hope the upcoming chapters will be up to standard and that you'll enjoy those as well. ^^

Your welcome, and I cannot wait!

Forestrunner

*insert cool words*
Hey, hey. I promised I would leave a little something something here.

Like I said before, I adore the way you present your pokemon. They are all so real and... right there in the fic even if they don't speak. I mean, if you push it too far to either of the spectrum, you'll get a boring 'pokemon human' or a robotic piece of junk(something which I'm probably guilty of).

And the amount of realism is, wow. Yea exactly, how can a professor have so much time on their hands that they can make every single trainer who visits them feel special? Baffling. And also, I like how Amy was having a hard time spoiling for a fight in the wilds. It makes so much sense that wild pokemon don't just jump out from the tall grasses and fight you for no apparent reason. Ah, loneliness. Now that's something you don't see very often, yet it should be something that should affected every starting trainers when the excitement dies off. You really have a knack in picking out all the things that should've been obvious yet absent in majority of fics.

Ooo... I was really hatin' Derek for a while, not until I read that little sentence about how he doesn't want Amy to end up like him. And him being out of contact is a intriguing little bit. Would hope to see him soon.

This fic have a lot of moments that are emotionally relatable, that's why it's such a good read.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Hey, hey. I promised I would leave a little something something here.

Like I said before, I adore the way you present your pokemon. They are all so real and... right there in the fic even if they don't speak. I mean, if you push it too far to either of the spectrum, you'll get a boring 'pokemon human' or a robotic piece of junk(something which I'm probably guilty of).

And I'm slowly getting around to reviewing your fic. I actually have the first two paragraphs finished and have had the review window open for almost three days now. : P

Oh, I'm so happy to hear that! I love working with different pokémon personalities and I think they can be even more interesting than when they speak for no reason.

And the amount of realism is, wow. Yea exactly, how can a professor have so much time on their hands that they can make every single trainer who visits them feel special? Baffling. And also, I like how Amy was having a hard time spoiling for a fight in the wilds. It makes so much sense that wild pokemon don't just jump out from the tall grasses and fight you for no apparent reason. Ah, loneliness. Now that's something you don't see very often, yet it should be something that should affected every starting trainers when the excitement dies off. You really have a knack in picking out all the things that should've been obvious yet absent in majority of fics.

It's funny, because I don't really set out aiming to prove all the clichés wrong, or whatever, I just imagine what I think would really happen, as opposed to the unlikely events so often portrayed in fic. *shrug* I'm happy people approve, though!

Ooo... I was really hatin' Derek for a while, not until I read that little sentence about how he doesn't want Amy to end up like him. And him being out of contact is a intriguing little bit. Would hope to see him soon.

I think the Derek hate will change after the next chapter, though we don't find out about his whereabouts yet. ^^

Thanks so much for the lovely review! I'm halfway through with the new chapter, so expect it somewhere next week. (If I can manage, heh.)

Cheers!

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Just wanted to give a quick update on what I've been up to. The next chapter is almost done - after about a year, heh - but as of right now I'm actually editing the earlier chapters somewhat and combining them if needed. Some of those chapters were rather short, so instead of keeping them separate I've decided to make them into some longer chapters instead.

As a result the numbering will be slightly off until I'm done. (Chapters one and two are now chapter one and chapters three and four now two, so it all doesn't make much sense any more.) Please bear with me and I'll sort things out as soon as possible and bring you Amy's first gym battle!

Thanks, everyone.

The Houndoom

Trainer of darkness
I can't wait!!!
Now I'm not going to be able to keep my email inbox closed >_>

FlameRose

I've read this fanfic before...and wow. Just wow.

I love the realism in it. The idea of it not being a big deal to a professor on giving a beginner a starter pokemon is great, because it makes so much sense. They must deal with sometimes ten-fifteen kids a day, and rarely would one kid be special enough to get unique attention.

Another thing is how wild pokemon aren't coming out instantly to fight her, and trying to run away. There's a chance if they come out they'll be taken from their homes, so why risk it unless provoked?

Amy in general is just fun, because she acts so much like how a beginning ten year old would. Her relationship with characters like her brother and Carrie is great to read, because like I've been saying: it's just so real.

All in all, I can say I'm impressed with your ability to make the Pokemon world seem real without making it come across as a carbon copy of our world's cultures. Definitely looking forward to the next chapter!

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
I can't wait!!!
Now I'm not going to be able to keep my email inbox closed >_>

*grin* You don't have to wait much longer. I'm about an hour away, probably less, from finishing all the edits for the next chapter.

FlameRose:

Good to have you back! And, gosh, your comments are really kind. I'm glad this fic still amuses people. I adore it, but I never thought it would make it to fourteen - or, well, twelve, now - chapters.

Thanks so much for the lovely words. ^^ I definitely enjoy writing Amy and her friends/family.

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic

Disclaimer:
I do not own pokémon or any of its related enterprises. They are the property of their respective owners.

~​

Chapter Thirteen: Lethargy.​

Wind whipped banners into a frenzy. High above them, twisting and curling, green streams of cloth bore Falkner's crest. A ferocious hunter, with claws and angry eyes, bore down on the opponent below them as its feathers streamed in the air. This portrayal of just what made Falkner so dangerous – lightning fast reflexes and a scary hunger for knowledge – made for a rather frightening vision.

A hushed silence had swept over the arena, leaving Amy to think she could hear the thudding beat of her heart. She was nervous and could feel all eyes on her as she stood there facing one of the great masters of flight. Falkner could soar through the sky with his pokémon and handle their might with a single commanding word from his lips. She, on the other hand, was firmly stuck to the ground and had trouble controlling even her starter. They weren’t evenly matched at all.

Falkner, having been busy all day, had taken a well-earned break which Amy had spent trying to tie herself to her chair, if only so she wouldn't start pacing. The three pokéballs on her waist felt heavy, somehow, yet her legs were on fire. The nerves had hit home, tempting her to think of all that could go wrong. Toto would ignore her, Weedle's string-shot could falter, and who knew what the mischievous Tricks had in mind? She didn't even dare ponder.

Next to her a small crowd had gathered, mostly those training under the gym leader, but there was also a small contingent of young trainers like herself – no doubt watching to learn, like she had – which made Amy all the more nervous. The novice bird trainers, while older and more experienced, had probably seen many lose there over the years, but not those young enough to never have seen a real gym battle. She didn’t want to be the one to squash their naive ideas, even if she knew she was one of them.

"Don't worry, Amy. It's just a normal battle. If you lose, no harm done. If you win, all the better."

Amy looked up at Carrie, who had arrived earlier covered in dirt and with an angry Torch next to her. The fire pokémon didn’t appreciate the wind licking at his tail, or the way his eyes watered when he turned the wrong way. While high walls tried to block out most of the assaulting winds, some swiveled over and surged across the ground to the other side. Amy could feel it tug at her jeans, could hear it whistling in her ear.

The woman next to her had been nothing but comforting, battling with Amy's nerves without realizing it. The young girl knew that if it hadn't been for the calm presence of her friend, then she might have run away already. Shame or no shame, this was a scary thing to go at alone.

"I get nervous for normal battles too, you know," she muttered, causing Carrie to laugh. They had discussed what Amy's plans were, but with the wide array of pokémon Falkner could use they weren't too useful. Especially with the way some of the gym leader's birds had fallen ill, he was bringing out pokémon no one had ever seen him use.

"Losing isn’t a shame, Amy."

"I doubt Derek would see it that way."

Carrie made a disgruntled sound. "I'm sure he'd be proud."

Amy wasn’t sure. In her years working with her brother, watching his every move as he did things she had seen no one do, she had learned that while he said one thing he often meant another. Sure, he loved her, but he also had high expectations of her. She was bright enough, he’d once said, and he’d helped her just as he had his pokémon. She was supposed to have a leg up, not find herself trembling as she stared across the arena at the gym leader getting ready.

Falkner fit her idea of what a gym leader was supposed to be like. While the gym itself, with its wooden doors and stained floor, didn’t really exude brilliance, the regal appearance of its gym leader definitely did. His eyes were sharp, like his birds, and there was a collected air about him that made one wonder where he’d been and what he’d seen. With every graceful brush of hands across feathers, he became more and more of an enigma. Yet she’d seen the way he treated his underlings, had caught the gentle look in his eyes when he picked up the pokéball of one of his wounded warriors. Amy finally understood why beginning trainers were urged to go to Falkner's gym first, as he was everything a gym leader was supposed to be.

The stories she’d heard were varied, but they’d been complimentary all the same. The only thing Falkner had ever been accused of was being self-righteous, fuelled by the fire to show that the flying type was more than creatures flitting around catching bugs and that the strong wings of these majestic creatures could cause a rhyhorn to stop in its tracks. She could understand why.

“Amy Kingsby, are you ready?” one of the referees called, their striped shirts standing out amongst the green all the other bird keepers wore. Swallowing nervously and receiving a final pat from Carrie, Amy nodded and stepped forward into the square she now belonged to. She’d seen enough battles to know how it worked.

“How many badges do you hold, Amy?” the referee asked, his voice soft due to the wind rumbling in her ears.

“None!”

It didn’t sound wrong to her, this admission of owning none of the sparkling emblems that spoke of her skill. Skill she didn’t have, not yet, but wanted to achieve. If she could beat Falkner, maybe she deserved to call herself a trainer.

Across the field, Falkner discussed some things with one of his companions. Pokéballs were switched, others left behind, and eventually the gym-leader had two on his belt and one gleaming in his hand. Amy had seen this before, every time a battle started, as Falkner had to base his choices on the level of his opponent. Once one of them had lied, claiming to own more than he did, and had found his inexperienced pokémon trapped under the sharp claws of a much too strong fearow. She would not make the same mistake.

The referee stepped forward. “Alright, this is a one-on-one gym battle. Challenger Amy Kingsby will face gym leader Falkner of Violet City, using three pokémon each!”

Amy knew the gym rules by heart, yet she listened as they were listed rapidly by the white-striped umpire. His droning tone of voice was as clear an indication as any that he did this a lot, supported by the bored look on his face. Falkner, luckily, seemed a bit more interested in what was going on, as he looked at Amy intently. Something the girl didn’t much approve of, as it was making her uncomfortable.

Looking to the side, where Carrie sat smiling at her, Amy inhaled deeply. This was it. If only Derek could be there to see it, or even support her in what she was doing. She was sure his mere presence would be able to propel her to greatness. He had that effect on her.

“Gym leader Falkner will choose first,” the referee said, voice soft but clear. All the other trainers had either disappeared or taken a seat, looking over the battlefield from the stands.

Falkner stepped forward, his dark hair tousled and unkempt as it fell in front of his eyes. He pushed it back, dark eyes piercing, but there was a smile to his lips.

“I don’t usually use this pokémon,” he admitted quietly, “but that nasty flu has taken out most of my other beginners. I hope you don’t mind.”

Amy shook her head dumbly, not entirely sure she was even allowed to object. Gym leaders could choose any pokémon they wanted, there were no actual limitations in that regard. While there were some unwritten rules – gym-leaders choose first, the gym-leader’s pokémon should fit the challenger’s level, and the gym-leader’s pokémon should fit the gym’s type – they weren’t obliged to uphold them.

“Okay, then,” Falkner spoke. “In that case I choose Zeus.”

The name sounded positively frightening to Amy. Such a title fit pokémon of legendary status, with iron fangs and wings of steel, not those she was accustomed to. Sweaty hands clasping around her belt, waiting to choose her own, Amy waited to see what pokémon Falkner would bring out.

When the flashing light subsided, she could hear the flapping of short wings. As her eyes narrowed on her opponent’s choice, she couldn’t help but be surprised. It wasn’t a pokémon she had seen him use before.

A mouth, wide and gaping, was the first thing Amy noticed. Glinting white fangs sprang from its lips, all four of them looking sharp enough to puncture even the toughest hide. The wings she’d heard beat furiously seemed to be thin, though gashes and cuts spoke of them being battle-worn, as veins appeared every time Amy could see their purple underside. The young girl knew what it was as she took in the small body and large ears, twin tails – long and gangly – turning to keep balance, and couldn’t suppress a small shudder. Zubat had never been favourites of hers. She could remember the first time she had encountered zubat all too well…

It was dark, too dark, as a young girl stumbled through the undergrowth. Thick tree roots threatened to make her fall, but she found her balance and ran on. She couldn’t stop.

Behind her, with noisy wings almost invisible in the dark of night, those chasing her sped through the trees and swerved around branch after branch. Their mouths were wide open, revealing a set of teeth that hovered in the air – almost blinking in the light of the moon – like a ghost startling travelers. The girl was too young to understand what was happening, yet on she ran. Pushing through bushes, she reached the road that led out of the forest, but it was still so far. Her short legs ached, the sounds coming ever closer, and it was almost like they could smell her fear. They were enraged.

She knew she shouldn’t have been in that cave, shouldn’t have dropped her brother’s pokéball in her terror, yet she had and now suffered the consequences. No wonder Derek hardly ever let her wander the forest alone. Amy felt panicked, because her side stung and Derek’s nidoqueen was no longer with her. She’d dropped the pokémon, her gentle protector, on the mucky ground of the cave. There she now remained, locked in her pokéball and all alone. Amy couldn’t stand the thought.

Tears streamed down her face, painting her face in intricate patterns as they washed away some of the dirt. Fear-stricken eyes kept searching for somewhere to hide. A large log, perhaps, or a hole. Even a beedrill hive came to mind – the fierce pokémon would be more than a match for these zubat – but they’d been long since removed from the forest’s outskirts. No, all she could hope for was getting out of the forest and finding someone with pokémon.

“Derek!” she sobbed, nearly tripping on a rock sticking out from the ground. Her toe burned and ached, but she paid no heed. She could almost feel the wind of wing-beats ruffle her hair, so close they were, and their anger hadn’t lessened.

“Derek!” she cried out again, hoping her older brother – the one who took care of her, who she looked up to – was nearer than she thought. She wanted nothing more than to jump into his arms and let him take care of things. To the seven year old girl, he was strong enough to take on the world.

A glance behind her, something she shouldn’t have done, revealed that the angry cloud of bats was only meters away. Like one big soaring hand they clawed at her, their wings whipping through the air though she could barely see them. Finally she really did fall, tripping over a root that sprang from the ground like it, too, wanted to grab hold of her, as if the entire forest – dark and suddenly oh so scary – wanted her to fall and flail like an infant. Her face hit the ground hard.

More tears, this time due to the pain spreading from chafed knees to a quickly swelling cheek. The bitter taste of blood was on her tongue and she reached for her lips. She shouldn’t have gone into that cave.

It was the moment that the flutter of wings bore down on her that thunderous lightning brightened the scene. Amy didn’t look, just curled up and tried to protect her head with shaking arms. If she hadn't done that, she would have seen the angry eyes of her big brother as he commanded his raichu to give the zubat another jolt. Even the eerie thuds of bodies hitting the ground didn’t cause her to look up.

Then there was silence. After the echo of wings and the crackle of electricity, the entire forest seemed to go still. Amy sobbed, but no sound came out, and her entire body shivered like she’d just braved the icy paths near Blackthorn City without a coat.

“Amy, it’s okay,” Derek whispered, his hands warm as they pulled her to him, his arms strong as he kept her upright. The young girl bawled endlessly as he held her, tears soaking every inch of Derek’s coat. It wasn’t until they’d left the forest, where the moon seemed twice as bright, that Amy was able to speak again.

“I’m sorry,” she sobbed, “I’m sorry for taking Eliza without asking. I just… I just…” Her voice faltered. Derek looked down at her with nothing but concern, though Amy pictured anger and disappointment all the same. She was scared to tell him she’d left Eliza behind. Oh how furious he would be if he found out the pokémon that had kept her safe so many times had been dumped unceremoniously on the floor. Just because she’d been spooked by some bats. Eliza had never considered doing the same, Amy was sure, yet she had abandoned her.

“Derek, I left Eliza behind!” Amy rubbed her eyes, another sob threatening to spill from her lips. “I dropped her pokéball. I didn’t mean to, but I was so scared!” Her tear-stricken face looked up at the young man. “Do you think she’ll be okay?”

A shaky laugh reached her ears and Amy looked up. Derek looked at her with a mix of affection and amusement, though his eyes still glistened with the worry she had seen many times before. Times when her confidence in her brother had made her reckless, times when her trust in his pokémon had left her in danger, but times she never really considered dangerous because he’d always been there in time.

“Amy, you silly goose, Eliza will be fine. She’s safely in her pokéball, isn’t she?”

“But I dropped her and left her there.” Amy looked guilty, her hand gripping Derek’s coat as if she feared he would abandon her like she had his pokémon. He hoisted her up higher and she slipped her arms around his neck. Suddenly she felt safe again. Nothing could hurt her as long as her brother was there.

“And I’m sure she would have been happy you left her instead of going against all those zubat alone. Being scared is a sensible thing, Amy, and you did well to run away.”

With his raichu following closely, Derek started the descent down the hill to where their house was. Their parents would be there, safely tucked in bed, and would probably never know what had happened that night. If only because Amy liked having secrets with her brother and Derek didn’t feel like bothering them with things he could handle himself. Leaning his head against hers, he sighed.

“We’ll go get her in the morning, okay?” He glanced down at her. “After that you’re grounded.”

Amy looked up angrily. “But I-“

“No buts, Amy!”

Pouting furiously, the little girl dropped her head on his shoulder again and let him carry her. As always, he was there.

The memory caught Amy off guard. She’d been young at the time and overconfident. Since then she’d seen zubat and heard their high-pitched squeals, but they didn’t scare her as much as they had that day. She’d learned to respect them and why they did what they did. It was in their nature to protect what was theirs, just like Derek had protected her. It had taken her a while to realize that.

Snagging a pokéball from her waist, she tried to ignore the fluttering in the pit of her stomach. She could do this. She would impress Derek and present him her first badge, no matter what happened. Fingers curled around the pokéball, then she enlarged it. It was time.

“Then I choose Tricks,” she said, her voice wavering only slightly. With the custom flash she’d gotten used to, Tricks burst from her shell. Amy had hoped Falkner would bring out something other than pidgey and hoot-hoot, for Tricks would have been useless otherwise. A zubat, however, she could take. Amy was confident of it.

There was a fleeting look of terror on Tricks’ face, though, when a gust of wind howled and grazed the ground below. Amy’s hair was thrown back wildly, just as Tricks turned in mid-air in blind panic. Only when the attack of nature calmed did she focus on the tiny vampire pokémon flapping its wings as if nothing had happened.

“A gastly, my, my. That's an interesting capture.” Falkner smiled again, but it didn't calm her nerves in the slightest. Tricks swirled around her head. “You can go first, if you want.”

Amy swallowed, trying to will away the heavy feeling in her stomach. What was she doing challenging a gym leader? The man before her had years of experience, more than she ever hoped to gain, and yet she was trying to beat him at his own game? She had to be crazy.

“Okay,” she mumbled, planting her feet solidly. Both pokémon seemed to notice the change, for they faced each other resolutely. Tricks' eyes shone, even in the brightly lit arena. Amy held her pokéball tightly. “Let's go!”

~​

“Piddington is unable to battle, the totodile wins!” Amy heard, the voice buzzing in her ears. Her sweaty palms almost dropped Toto's pokéball as she stared at the umpire who had dropped his flag. “Both trainers have one pokémon remaining!”

The quiet amusement on Falkner's face unnerved Amy, but she just smiled back. When he grabbed for his final pokéball her stomach lurched, much like the wind that had taken hold of the arena. Drops of rain were being flung around the place, dousing everyone in a steady sprinkle. The weather had taken a turn and with gusts of wind came the rumble of thunder nearby. The only one not unnerved by the change of events had been Amy's totodile, who relished in the spring shower and seemed invigorated. It was for the best, Amy mused, because there was one more pokémon to beat.

Tricks had done well, dispatching of the zubat with quick moves and an all too friendly tongue, but Weedle's attempts had been utterly hopeless and had resulted in a quick victory for the bird trainer. Amy had expected nothing less. Toto's efforts, on the other hand, had been rewarded and the pidgey that Falkner had used had perished after some well-aimed attacks. Amy still couldn't believe it, even as her pokémon danced before her.

“Well done, Toto!” she called, watching as he chattered back to her in a language she didn't understand. At least she could see he was enjoying himself.

Amy looked up to see Falkner with a new pokéball in hand.

“This one looked a bit tired this morning, but I don't have any others left,” he said, rolling the device in his palms. “I'm sure she'll kick up a fight nonetheless.”

With a graceful curve he threw pokéball up in the air, releasing his pokémon with a flourish that Amy had neverseen before. It took practice, probably, because she had attempted something similar once and had to have Weedle extract Toto's pokéball from a nearby tree. No, she'd stick to simply opening it in her hands, instead.

A vicious cry sounded when the light melted away, leaving nothing but the ruffled feathers of a bird very displeased with the rain. Landing on Falkner's shoulder, a spearow made angry sounds and tried to duck under its trainer's hair.

“Now, now, gorgeous, no time for that.” Falkner gave his bird a simple shove and propelled her back into the air, where she quickly flapped her wings to keep from falling. She snapped at him angrily until she spotted Amy's totodile, who hadn't been paying attention to anything except his own tail. He tried to grab it with his teeth, but found that the unfortunate looking thing kept just out of his reach.

“Toto!” Amy warned as the bird's beady eyes locked onto the distracted creature. The spearow hovered in front of Falkner with short strokes of its wings, seemingly mesmerized by Toto's actions. Maybe she thought he was taunting her. Her talons moved restlessly in the air, almost as if it was mimicking what she'd do with them, as Toto finally looked up.

“That's it, Toto, get ready!”

Her pokémon turned, seeming to realize that another opponent threatened him. Tilting his head, Toto gawked at the bird with some interest, but seemed to favour mindless chatter instead. His sounds caused Amy to crack a smile, though she did feel her heart beating faster in her chest. She was ever so close to getting her first badge.

“Begin!” the umpire shouted and Amy locked eyes with the spearow in front of them. First she'd have to knock that thing down.

“Go, Toto, use Water Gun!”

A beam of water shot from her pokémon's mouth, mingling with the ongoing rain as it rushed forward and towards the spearow. Sharp eyes caught it coming and even without Falkner's command the creature dove to the side, escaping from the cold clutches of Toto's attack. Amy gritted her teeth.

“Again!”

More water, followed by a pleased chortle, splashed towards the brown-and-red feathered form of their opponent. Falkner himself, placed right behind his spearow, had to jump to the side when the water was, once again, dodged skilfully. His spearow didn't need direction to avoid a rush of blue.

“Tilly,” Falkner spoke, “use Double Team.”

Amy had heard of the move before, but had never seen it first hand. Double Team, though an intricate move to use, was favoured amongst many a trainer, especially those with wickedly fast critters. Falkner's spearow seemed to be much the same.

Moving so fast that Amy's eyes could barely keep up, the spearow flit through the air like an angry bee. Its colours merged, providing them with a rapidly turning ball of red, black and brown as it hurled through the air. Toto barely had time to duck when it swooped overhead.

“Stay focused, Toto!”

Trainer and pokémon watched with trepidation as the spearow increased its speed further, twisting in the air and turning into a rush of feathers. Some drifted to the floor, wrested loose by the wind, but the rest propelled the spearow through the arena at break-neck speed. Totodile stood eying the blur uncomfortably and Amy couldn't blame him.

Then, with a sudden rustle, the blur sped towards him and Amy could just order him to jump aside. Toto did, finding himself face-first on the floor, before jumping up and firing another water gun at empty air. He growled softly from deep in his throat as the bird danced in the sky.

“Wait for it, Toto,” Amy mumbled, just loud enough for him to hear, but not Falkner. “She'll have to get close again soon and then you can get her.”

Again the spearow dove. Amy bit her lip at the speed. “Duck!”

Talons just brushed Toto's head, threatening to tear his flesh if he didn't move. More sand now coated his skin, turning into mud at the merest touch of rain. His body had slowly started to turn brown.

A third time the bird pokémon made for Toto's head, but this time something was different. It seemed slower and Amy could make out its shape. Wavering in the air, it almost fell sideways. Mumbling arose from behind her and Amy could just catch the worried look in Falkner's eyes. She knew what she had to do. This was her chance.

Though the spearow seemed out of sorts, it still flew towards Toto at rapid speed. Its short wings beat furiously to keep up the pace and a full-on collision seemed inevitable if Toto didn't move. Amy balled her fist and prayed.

“Stay, Toto!” she yelled. Her pokémon planted its heavy feet, nails digging into the soaked ground. “Stay and grab it!”

The spearow cried out sharply when it met the heavy form of the totodile. Its beak pecked at slippery skin, almost glancing off, as strong paws crushed its tiny body. Thrashing wildly, Tilly continued to peck and scratch at her opponent, but Toto held strong. His arms tightened, causing the bird to shriek, and Amy could see the grim look on Falkner's face.

Tilly's movements stilled, then, and Amy could see her breathing become shallow. Worried, she stepped forward, only remembering just in time that she should stay in bounds. Gazing at the scene before her, she couldn't help but notice the awkward angle the pokémon was dangling at and the weak scrambling.

“Toto, let go!” she ordered immediately and her totodile did exactly so before dancing away. He seemed extremely pleased, but Amy couldn't help but worry. Falkner, standing opposite her, didn't say a word as he recalled his fighter. In a sudden flash she was gone, as was the sight that still lingered in the back of her mind. Toto really hadn't been pressing down that hard.

~​

Soft shuffling awoke Amy from her snoring. Through sleepy eyes she looked at the two girls she had shared a room with, both of whom were trying their hardest to pack their bags as quietly as possible. Amy sighed softly, not yet willing to get up. Today she'd be leaving and if she were honest then that knowledge scared her a bit. Even the badge, won in her battle with Falkner, didn't alleviate the feeling of dread she was experiencing. With Carrie staying behind, she'd have to deal with everything herself and she still wasn't sure she was ready to deal with it all, even if she had her pokémon at her side.

A sudden image of a young bird – wings limp and lifeless – showed itself. Amy swallowed at the very memory.

Turning over, she stared at the wall as the door closed and the two young girls left the room. Amy wondered if they were training for Falkner's badge, like she had, or if they had no intention of taking the gym challenge. They could be prospective breeders, or simply not interested in battling. For a second Amy wished she could join them, but she knew the next town beckoned and that it was quite a long way there.

Closing her eyes once again, she slowly drifted back to a fitful sleep.

~​

Her bag felt infinitely heavier as she stood in front of the pokémon centre. Behind her the door opened and closed repeatedly, allowing trainers of all ages and sizes to pass, and people – all carrying bags much like hers – left her behind as they dashed in various directions. Some chose the road she was to follow, to the outskirts of town and onto the sand that led to the cross-section. On the doduo and dodrio it had taken a mere hour to get there, but on foot it would take quite a while longer. Instead of going to the National Park, like they had before, she'd decided to take the southern exit. Past the ruins, then bordering the sea, and eventually through grasslands to reach the town of many a mystery, where poison and ninjas ruled and the famous Safari Park resided.

Checking her things for the last time – hands grazing the pokéballs at her waist – Amy inhaled deeply and started walking, the action of one step after another suddenly so very difficult.

The sky overhead looked grey, carpeted with an endless pattern of clouds. She had no doubt that it would start to rain, though she had no idea when, and the coat she wore was needed as a chilly wind tore at her. The ground was dry under her feet, even though it had rained the night before, as she neared the edge of town. Pausing to look back at the centre, the mart where she'd picked up some necessary supplies, Sprout Tower, and the gym, she felt a twang of sadness at having to leave so many memories behind. As pokémon flashed through the air above her, Amy sighed and left the town in her wake.

As she walked, she could hear the wind howl through the trees. It wasn't cold, not yet, but there was an unpleasant feel to the air. Something was coming, probably a storm. Amy squashed the urge to go back, instead following the other trainers that trudged down the sandy path. If they were confident enough, then so was she. So, grabbing her bag and hoisting it higher, she picked up the pace. With a bit of luck she'd make it far enough to find shelter somewhere, maybe with one of the houses she knew stood near the water. Fishermen had lived there for centuries, able to weather even the fiercest of storms, and maybe they'd have somewhere for her to sleep. If she made it that far.

Either way, it would be a while yet until she reached that part of Johto, let alone the safety of their sturdy houses. If the signs on the side of the road were to judge, then it'd be hours before she made it to the Ruins of Alph and beyond.

“Hey!” a boy yelled, running up from behind her. He looked about her age, with light freckles on his face and a smile from ear to ear. A lone pokéball dangled on his waist, but the red and white looked worn from continued use. He'd probably owned the creature inside for years.

“Hey,” Amy replied, slowing her pace slightly so he could catch up. A cap rested on sand-coloured hair, the emblem showing some sort of sporting team. Amy had no interest in things like that, so she could only guess what team it could be. He seemed to love them, though, for he bore an emblem on his bag as well.

The boy grinned. “You up for a battle?”

“I'd rather not. I just finished my first gym battle yesterday,” Amy admitted, hoping the knowledge of her victory would put him off, “and I really want to make time and outrun the storm.”

“Not going to happen.” The boy looked out towards the horizon. “It's going to rain soon, it always does, and you're nowhere close to a place to stay. I'd turn back, if you don't want to get caught. You might make it to the pokémon centre in time.”

Groaning softly, Amy shook her head. “I wish I could, but I really want to get going. If I don't go now, I never will. Either way, I don't have time for a battle.”

“Your loss. Anyway, good luck getting there in time. I hope you don't get too wet.”

“Thanks,” Amy said, a wry grin on her lips. With her luck she'd be soaked by the time she arrived. It was several days until she'd reach the nearest town, but the ruins shouldn't be too far. Too far unless you had a storm bearing down on you, of course. Giving the boy a friendly wave, she continued on, much faster this time. As the young trainer turned and headed for the next person he could find, Amy grabbed the straps of her bag and dove forward.