• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cause of viruses?

ace557

Finally found them
Hello,

My girlfriend is having a problem with her laptop, where when she starts it, it will go to a black screen that says (I don't have the exact text, so please bare with me)

"Launch Start Up Restore (Recommended)"

"Start Windows Normally"

No matter which she choses it doesn't work and it brings her back to the same screen. Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Also, her brother says that canceling an installation of a program can cause viruses, and that's what's happened, I myself have never heard of that happening when you cancel an installation, so I personally don't think that's the problem. Does anyone know if that could have been the problem, or if that is even remotely a chance of what could have happened?

shadowswampert93

if it has an option to boot in safe mode, try that, then go to system tools in accessories in programs on the start menu, then select system restore, then find a restore point that is from before it started doing this. also, it's unusual, but if you hold the power button to turn it off, it goes to that screen sometimes. lemme know if this helps =)

Frank The Bunny

Lol, you don't get "viruses" by canceling installations unless the software you were installing had them embedded from the start (usually freeware). If you were at any risk of getting a virus installed on your computer by simply canceling a program installation the option to cancel wouldn't even be available in the first place and you'd be forced to see through the installation all the way. Common sense, geez, think about it.

Try booting into safe mode.

What was the last thing you installed or tried to install before this problem came up?

Last edited:

ace557

Finally found them
lol I figured as much with the canceling of programs stuff, I told her that too, but she didn't want to argue with her brother, so I just told her I'd check. As for the program that's been installed on it, or attempted to be installed. It was software for an all-in-one printer that she has, that doesn't want to work as a copier, just as a printer and fax machine. It's not freeware so to speak, I got the software for it from the official site of the printer, so yeah.

And before you ask, I haven't tried safe mode, because, it's not really mine or her computer, it's her brothers, so we can't just go and say "Oh, let me do this and this" without his permission first... >> So later today, when he's at work we're gonna try and start it in safe mode and such and see if that works XD

Frank The Bunny

Lol, boot into safe mode and uninstall whatever software you tried to install. Or once in safe mode you can try to just restore your system to a previous date (one before you tried to install the software).

You might also want to disconnect all external devices that you may have connected to your computer during start up. (hard drives, printers, usb drives, etc)

If you're hellbent on installing the printer software after the restore, make sure that you have all of the updated drivers for your printer and that you see the installation all the way through.

Frank The Bunny