• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Celebi: A Timeless Promise (1121)

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
While the development isn't outright visible, you could argue that Gou developed as a person in this episode by learning to not just see things from his perspective, and that he shouldn't assume something so easily without getting all the information; like feeling betrayed by a friend because that friend broke their promise even though what really happened was that the friend caught a fever that day. Gou developed because he's finally able to put behind the grudge he felt for Tokio since childhood for breaking their promise and understanding the circumstances that led to Tokio being unable to come that day. Now that he knows that everything he felt was just a misunderstanding on his part, I can only assume this means that Gou will be a lot more open to interactions with other People from this episode forward and put more effort in trying to understand what a person feels before assuming anything. The new opening version even sort of suggests how he tries to drag Koharu/Chloe along with them a lot more boldly instead of just communicating with her whenever the episode focuses on her.

I agree that our comments may have been a bit harsh when you didn't outright state how you wanted to skip this episode because you hated Gou as a character. Sorry about that. But I also thought it would be nice if you understood why we're trying to defend this episode as one filled with development for Gou as a character, rather than an episode that should be skipped because it doesn't have Satoshi/Ash in it and therefore wouldn't be attractive to those who dislike Gou. You don't have to like him, but at least acknowledge that he is going through development as a person throughout this series. No matter how small the development is.

Bro, I didn't watch the episode so I didn't know all that, and I never told a single person to skip it. I just said that nothing significant happened so it is meh TO ME, ya'll can watch and enjoy whatever you please lol.

You're not wrong. Goh caught an Ariados and Pineco that he'll likely never do anything with, but besides that the episode was 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back..
Is it alright to be focusing the meaning behind this episode on Gou's captures that happened near the end of the episode? When the whole episode was about emphasising the relationship between Gou and Tokio and how this relationship came to form Gou's mentality that friends will only betray you in the end, so he shouldn't have them in the beginning?

This mentality was even foreshadowed in episode 3 with Gou's and Satoshi's/Ash's argument, when Gou says to him something along the lines of, "So you're like one of those people..."

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Is it alright to be focusing the meaning behind this episode on Gou's captures that happened near the end of the episode? When the whole episode was about emphasising the relationship between Gou and Tokio and how this relationship came to form Gou's mentality that friends will only betray you in the end, so he shouldn't have them in the beginning?

This mentality was even foreshadowed in episode 3 with Gou's and Satoshi's/Ash's argument, when Gou says to him something along the lines of, "So you're like one of those people..."

Boy meets friend on holiday, never sees them again (until that garbage reunion tacked on the end). Sounds like most of my holidays growing up where I made one time friends; Goh needs to get a grip..

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
While the development isn't outright visible, you could argue that Gou developed as a person in this episode by learning to not just see things from his perspective, and that he shouldn't assume something so easily without getting all the information
Oh, you mean that thing he's been repetitively learning in all his focus episodes without ever actually retaining that knowledge?

He's also learned a good three times that it's okay to help pokémon

Boy meets friend on holiday, never sees them again (until that garbage reunion tacked on the end). Sounds like most of my holidays growing up where I made one time friends; Goh needs to get a grip..
To be fair to Gou, this is an only child who was probably experiencing loneliness from his Parents spending too much time working to be able to even give him the attention he needs during childhood. His only other friend during this time was Koharu/Chloe who didn't really share the same passion he did, and may not have understood him very well as a result. He must've saw Tokio as someone irreplaceable and had believe him to be a friend who would understand his poke-mania unlike other children his age despite the short time they spent. Remember that it was harder for him than most children to make friends.

Last edited:
Oh, you mean that thing he's been repetitively learning in all his focus episodes without ever actually retaining that knowledge?

He's also learned a good three times that it's okay to help pokémon
I mean, hasn't everyone here took a while to learn their lessons before actually being able to implement them as real life skills? It's a bit too early to know whether or not Gou will retain the knowledge of opening up to other Humans at this point. Everything I've argued here is only my assumption and opinion, so take it how you will, but it's different here because Gou has always had an interest in befriending pokemon since he was young. He's much more opened to helping them because he's learned that it's alright to do so; take sobble for example, he's gotten an idea of how he should be treating it by this episode.

Most of the lessons he's learned up until now usually involved his interactions with Pokemon. There's never really been an episode up until now where it focused on how Gou viewed a relationship he had with another Human, not even with Koharu/Chloe or Satoshi/Ash. Therefore, it's only natural that he hasn't retained the knowledge of how to properly interact with others when he's refused to open up properly to others on a deeper level due to how he felt betrayed from a relationship he had in the past. I'm sorry if this doesn't answer your comment, but I don't know how else to convey Gou as a character that's slowly learning throughout his journey. From here on out, I hope we can agree to disagree if there are things we don't see eye-to-eye with.

^ Above comment, Gou really does seem like a Bug Catcher! Maybe even a Bug Slayer since he started out with a fire-type...

Last edited:

RLC

I wonder with the part where they showed the Alola gang, will it change each time showing old companions? Like after we are re-introduced to them will it then change to Ash's companions from Hoenn (May and Max)?
I was thinking the exact same thing too, frankly i'm just hoping it an't the alolan crew alone showing up but this does give me hope

Ultra Beast Lover

Well well, it's been a couple generations since a companion from a previous generation has shown up in the current saga. I look forward to it. Also, Eternamax Eternatus already? I hope it's not too soon. The big legendary battle is always pretty exciting so don't rush it.

Anyways, I don't mind Ash not being in every episode as long as the same can be done for Ash where he has a solo episode. Sometimes in specific character focused episodes the other protagonists will just uselessly stand around or get in the way. And this is an advantage of not being on a journey, characters can go places without other characters and we don't have to even waste a minute having the others catch up and be like, "There you are! Where have you been?"

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Pretty nice and emotional episode, not much else to say besides it being enjoyable, I hope we get to see Tokio again.

As for the new opening it was pretty nice, I'm expecting that some part of it are going to be updated, like Rioulo and Farfetch'd evos, plus Cinderace and Scizor, its cool to see the Alola kids, gives me hope the Alola mons also show up, I'm expecting Bea to be subbed for someone else in the opening also when she is beaten. Also hoping the Alola mons showing up means they will battle (at least Inceneroar once), and that opens up for other old mons.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
This was an interesting episode...

Goh's development happened at the end, it was at the end when he smiled. I'm not sure what to think because I went in thinking more action would happen, but at the same time I kind of loved that ending...it was just so simple yet clear

I hope Tokio appears again...I felt like it was like the beginning of something that left me wanting a bit more lol

EDIT: I think something I think that is interesting is that Goh's first assumption was that Tokio stood him up, rather than something happened. He really lacks trust in people, I think most people would think the opposite (oh something happened) but like, Goh's also sort of neglected by his family (not on purpose). I'm curious if this episode made him move past that entirely (which I expect because it's Pokemon), or if he'll always be the sort to struggle with his loneliness and making assumptions, but get better through the course of the show.

Last edited:

PokeFreak1200

Haven't watched the episode, but seen the new opening. Looks promising, and seems more action-packed.

It seems that Goh is going to be focusing on battling again, which is good. With his core team being shown, an instance of him battling Ash, Raboot evolving to Cinderace, and also fighting Eterneus Goh is definitely going to be battling more often. Might even enter the world Championship and fight Ash in one of the finals, depending on how good he gets. Also leaning on him getting Zamazenta, with Ash getting Zacian.

Ash may get an Aerodactyl(Obligatory Flying Type?), which is a nice pick. I'm still hoping for Pokemon rotations, but seem unlikely with the focus on Riolu. Interestingly enough Farfetch is being pushed as a rival to Riolu, so he may get more of a spotlight.

Other than that confirmed to encounter all the main legendaries, with Goh possibly catching Zapdos. Alola gang, excluding Lillie, is back which will be a fun set of episodes. Adventures with Leon and Raihan possibly. Bea battle coming up. Also Ash and Goh battle training episodes most likely. Definitely a lot to look forward to this season.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm conflicted. On the one hand I get that Go would be hurt from a friend seemingly ditching him and, being a kid, he wouldn't think of the reasons Tokio had for not showing up because he was so emotional, and he does have problems with empathy. And you could argue that Go was used to kids ditching him already so having someone that seemed to be a lot like him probably stung a lot worse.

But it was one time. Granted I don't have much context, just pictures, so I don't know if it was multiple days but it looked like it was just that one time and Go gave up on him.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand I get that Go would be hurt from a friend seemingly ditching him and, being a kid, he wouldn't think of the reasons Tokio had for not showing up because he was so emotional, and he does have problems with empathy. And you could argue that Go was used to kids ditching him already so having someone that seemed to be a lot like him probably stung a lot worse.

But it was one time. Granted I don't have much context, just pictures, so I don't know if it was multiple days but it looked like it was just that one time and Go gave up on him.
Yep, it wasn't explained just how many days Gou ended up waiting for him, but it can be assumed that Gou and his family already went back from their trip the next day. This is because after Tokio recovered from his fever the next day, he kept trying to look for Gou without any success. If Gou and his family already left Azalea Town the next day after their promised day, Gou wouldn't have had any other opportunities to search for Tokio. I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted to anyway. But that's why he was able to develop as a person after forgiving Tokio in his heart.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It's the first episode I've ever skipped and I will do so for any non-special that doesn't feature Ash at all so long as he's still the main character, it's disgraceful. If this was a special that'd be fine, but it isn't. Brock, Misty, May, Dawn, Team Rocket, and so many others didn't get this honor why does he?
I guarantee we won't get an Ash or Team Rocket only episode, nor a Chloe one since they felt the need to tack Ash and Goh onto the Yamper episode when it easily could have been avoided
They should have at least had a "Ash training Farfetch'd and Riolu" moment to showcase what he's doing, like in episodes where it centered primarily around Team Rocket but nah, let's be disrespectful to Ash and not even feature him!