• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Celebi: A Timeless Promise (1121)

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The first-ever episode with Ash!

Is this the first time Goh's age has been canonically mentioned?

So flashbacks inside of flashbacks? Wow

Where was the nested flashback?

Yeah. One of Go's recurring traits is his jumping to conclusions and assuming the worst of others. I'm glad they brought it back.

Honestly though, I found this episode kind of eh. Maybe watching it subbed will glean some info, but otherwise I feel like it could have been more. The backstory stuff was good, but then the last 5 minutes of the episode were really rushed. They should have made this into a one hour special event. And I know it's cliche, but Go time traveling with Celebi would have been better and more exciting than Goh just finding a note while onion fairies watch on. And speaking of not very exciting, Raboot and Sobble didn't do much. But Scyther and Farfetch'd got more focus, which is neat. They're really shaping them up to be permanent team members.

So, anyone check out present day Tokio's design? Unique clothes + ugly-ass shoes basically confirms that he'll be recurring.

I agree that that's one of his recurring traits -- it's also a recurring trait of Goh haters ironically, if you replace the word "others" with "episodes"

I agree that sadly it was eh. Either the plot should have been continued into the next episode, which the episodic format prevents, or at least they should have cut the length of the flashback to allow Goh and Horace to talk a little bit at the end of the episode. Them saying no words and then Goh not even mentioning this to Ash in the next episode or anything just feels bizarre. I do agree with you that his design, plus this cliffhanger, makes it seem like he'll appear again.. going to Bulbapedia it still lists him as a COTD so I'm assuming he still hasn't shown up again in the Japanese but I do hope he does.

They really botched the resolution of the episode. It wouldn't be a bad thing if Tokio had any chance of re-appearing, but given his name is a play on time and his whole interest is in Celebi, he was likely created just to promote the movie.

How is his name a play on time? Thanks in advance as i don't know Japanese

Watching it again with subs really adds to the interaction between the boys.

It is heartwarming seeing Goh's pokemon so worried about him.

Goh's parents continue to be overworked yet caring and supportive.

It was uncomfortable watching him lash out emotionally while catching pokemon so I am glad the scene didn't overstay its welcome.

And the most important aspect of the episode, Tokio spurned the star carrot stew! Its understandable that it took Goh 3 years plus the infamous japanese cold to get over it.

Many of the Johto pokemon from this episode appear in the preview for next episode.

Both Dunsparce and Larvitar are teased.

#BringBackTokio (I want to see these two act awkward around one another)

I now know which post your hashtag that you have below your display name (I forget what that thing is called) originates. It's sad that they botched the end of this episode/next episode so badly.

they need to start casually showing shinies more

and tbh Shane Seeker should come back and be Goh's rival

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
How is his name a play on time? Thanks in advance as i don't know Japanese
Toki=Time
His english name too, kinda, since Horace is pronounced similarly to how "Horas" (hours) is pronounced in spanish

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
The first-ever episode with Ash!
Is this the first time Goh's age has been canonically mentioned?
Where was the nested flashback?
I think you meant to say first ever episode without ash :p
I would be surprised if it's the first time it's mentioned that Goh is 10, I'm pretty sure it was stated in the beginning. It definitely was in the character details though before the show aired
The nested flashback was when in Goh's flashback of meeting Horace, he has a flashback of Oak's camp with Chloe where he met Mew

I noticed that Sunflora says it’s Japanese voice in the dub. This episode was good (first time I payed attention while watching it because I was too focused on the opening) but not too memorable. Ash wasn’t in it for the first time ever, HISTORIC.

Best part was Sunflora content and the RETURN OF DUNSPARCE. Last time we saw it, Ash tried to capture it but couldn’t because he was on a date with Serena and had no Pokeballs

Morax

King of heroes
I noticed that Sunflora says it’s Japanese voice in the dub. This episode was good (first time I payed attention while watching it because I was too focused on the opening) but not too memorable. Ash wasn’t in it for the first time ever, HISTORIC.

Best part was Sunflora content and the RETURN OF DUNSPARCE. Last time we saw it, Ash tried to capture it but couldn’t because he was on a date with Serena and had no Pokeballs
Who forgets their pokeballs on a date? No wonder ash ketchum ain't popular with the ladies

BobbbidyBob

Seriously I think this episode should have ended with Tokio not showing up at the end...ya know....to make it more tragic

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Haven't really been bothering giving comments on Journeys episodes, as it would just be a whole lot of me complaining about the same things over and over again, but this is something next level. Honestly, I'm somewhat offended that they decided to not put Ash and Pikachu into this episode. 24 years of the two of them appearing in every single episode, an then they just decide that doesn't matter. What the heck? Why? It's not like it would have been hard to just give Ash a minute long scene saying bye to Goh at the beginning. Ash and Pikachu are owed at least that much.

I guess I should give this episode credit where credit is due. It was a fairly decent heartwarming story. Could have used a little more action and still felt rather pointless, if you ask me, but that's an issue with most Journeys episodes.

Last edited:

Starswirl Pikachu

Goh steals the spotlight and the audience gets a glimpse of the rare pokemon Celebi. I don't think it was a total waste but I am also not sure what Celebi was up to either. Nice to see some Johto pokemon again. What would have happened to the series if Goh captured one of the Celebi's?