• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cell Animation Color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Is it just me, or does hand-painted cell animation have richer colors than digital ink & paint?

Morax

King of heroes
Cel animation has more shading to it which makes it look more ‘alive’ in comparison to digital paint.
images

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The colors seem richer as they needed to be vibrant on the cels so that way the camera lens could still capture it. For the shading, they'd have to up the contrast in the paint, but usually it's just by adding a bit of black. On digital, you just have to move the slider a little closer to the black on the color wheel instead of going for a more vibrant color, though I've noticed through cel animation that characters' skin color in anime matches what you expect their ethnicity through the shading. The skin shading on Japanese characters have more brown/orange in it, but foreigners have a bit more red/pink (darker-skinned characters just have more black in the shading). It's subtle, but it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.