• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Censored pokemon manga

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt0044

If one could, could an photoshopper make it look like Norman tossed Ruby.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I would've changed it to Ruby being thrown with little indication of Norman's punch.
That's actually not a bad idea, but the problem is even if you edit Norman out by the way Ruby's face is drawn you can still tell he was punched. You would have to have his face redrawn, and I don't think Viz's editing skills are quite that great.

(Seriously, manga, why are you making some of these gym leaders assholes if they weren't shown as such in the games? Yeah, I understand that it's basically a ruse to normal people, but it's really disturbing.)
Because since it's its own canon, it can do whatever it wants with the characters. And personally I like when other canons do something different with the characters. Seeing the characters be the exact same in everything would be boring.

Because we're on the theme of censorship, I recall when I read the fan-translated version (straight from the original Japanese) of the Gold and Silver manga online, I couldn't help but feel a little uncomfortable with the amount of times Gold dropped some nasty swear words. However, I know that swearing isn't seen as so bad in Japan, and thus, words that should translate badly usually just become something less...impacting.
The issue there isn't so much with the original Japanese dialogue as it is with the translation. You see, depending on the context some things can be translated in more than one way, including cuss words. But in the case of Special, considering the audience is meant to be kids and the characters are kids, most translators wouldn't have them saying cuss words, or at least a really strong one. So that's more of an issue with the fan translator.

Last edited:

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
Almost everyone has seen the stupid censorship in volume 17 (chapter 209), but I thought I would post about it here anyway, to make the thread as complete as possible. Sorry about the bad image quality.

Chuang Yi edition: http://web.archive.org/web/20130707182139/http://www.jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_17/17-054.jpg
VIZ edition: http://i3.minus.com/iKxn4QUsMZ9eH.png

o_O What the?! WHAT HAS VIZ DONE WITH NORMAN'S MANLINESS?! That sentence sounded so gay and OOC for Norman!!!

What the hell is wrong with Viz?!

Last edited:

matt0044

That's actually not a bad idea, but the problem is even if you edit Norman out by the way Ruby's face is drawn you can still tell he was punched. You would have to have his face redrawn, and I don't think Viz's editing skills are quite that great.

Just edit Ruby's bruise away and redrawn Norman's fist as an unclenched hand. I've seen greater edits done in The Electric Tale of Pikachu.

When Ruby hits the wall after the awesome two page spread of Norman glaring behind him (as his son makes the best "Oh shit" expression), the "Krakaboom" SFX seems to imply further censorship of Norman's "fatherly bonding." Like Ruby began to run from his dad when a lightening bolt caught him and Marshtomp off guard and made them fall down the stairs.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
You know, I'm starting to wonder if there was a reason why Viz skipped the Generation III version until recently. Does it happen to be the most violent of the series and thus needed to be censored like no tomorrow, or perhaps because the third gen wasn't received as well as the other generations? Was there a reason given as to why the generation was skipped for a while?

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Just edit Ruby's bruise away and redrawn Norman's fist as an unclenched hand. I've seen greater edits done in The Electric Tale of Pikachu.

When Ruby hits the wall after the awesome two page spread of Norman glaring behind him (as his son makes the best "Oh shit" expression), the "Krakaboom" SFX seems to imply further censorship of Norman's "fatherly bonding." Like Ruby began to run from his dad when a lightening bolt caught him and Marshtomp off guard and made them fall down the stairs.
Even if you edit it away though (I did it with Paint lol), Ruby's face still doesn't fit for falling. His face is turned to the side and his eyes are closed, while if he was falling you think his face would be facing forward and his eyes would be wide with surprise or something. And true, but those edits were mainly reducing bust sizes and drawing on clothes, right? That...actually isn't as hard as some other edits. Besides, that was a long time ago, so the editors responsible for that level of editing may be gone now. XD

And I got the volume. Yeah, they also edited the dialogue and sound effects on that page as well, and the page after the infamous slip too. More turned out to be edited than I realized, and the editing really took me out of the story at some points too. I get they had to edit it and all but I really wish they could've done it in a better way, and not have changed so much for it...

You know, I'm starting to wonder if there was a reason why Viz skipped the Generation III version until recently. Does it happen to be the most violent of the series and thus needed to be censored like no tomorrow, or perhaps because the third gen wasn't received as well as the other generations? Was there a reason given as to why the generation was skipped for a while?
Well Viz seemed to suggest via email responses to me and multiple others it was due to them being uncertain that there was enough demand for those arcs, but that doesn't really make sense to me. Fans obviously wanted the arcs after Yellow due to how the sales of them have been (a lot of them have been on Monthly Best Selling Manga lists) and the arcs they skipped are actually some of the most popular with fans too. Plus like I said, the sales for their releases of the series have been amazing, so it just seems really pointless waiting so long to start releasing them. All they've done is made the wait for them to completely catch up even longer and make those arcs even more outdated... I've often wondered if maybe the editing they would have to do was the reason behind it as well, but of course even if it was I doubt Viz would ever admit that.

Last edited:

matt0044

Even if you edit it away though (I did it with Paint lol), Ruby's face still doesn't fit for falling. His face is turned to the side and his eyes are closed, while if he was falling you think his face would be facing forward and his eyes would be wide with surprise or something.

And I got the volume. Yeah, they also edited the dialogue and sound effects on that page as well, and the page after the infamous slip too. More turned out to be edited than I realized, and the editing really took me out of the story at some points too. I get they had to edit it and all but I really wish they could've done it in a better way, and not have changed so much for it...

It'd still be more convincing even if Ruby's face said otherwise.

Though as for the lightening thing, it was very random yet somehow amusing. Norman's dialogue especially like he was from some Kung Fu film.

WaterTypesFTW

Shiny Hunter
Oh wow, the replacement of lightning to cover Norman hitting Ruby cracked me right up, I was laughing myself silly! And Norman's dialog... geez...

I don't know, I think there should have been more thought in replacing that scene. Lightning and the dialog... no, I didn't like that one bit, even if it was highly amusing.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
It'd still be more convincing even if Ruby's face said otherwise.

Though as for the lightening thing, it was very random yet somehow amusing. Norman's dialogue especially like he was from some Kung Fu film.
True, and it wouldn't require as much editing. Plus it's not like it's the only edit that you can tell something is off.

It was disappointing, but I will admit that I can at least get some humor out of it, lol.

matt0044

True, and it wouldn't require as much editing. Plus it's not like it's the only edit that you can tell something is off.

Although, tossing your kid isn't exactly a kid-friendly thing for Pokemon. Still it's better than hitting them...

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Here's a scene from Pokémon Pocket Monsters: http://slimegalaxy.tumblr.com/post/43617143512
Holy sh/t!

;)
Almost everyone has seen the stupid censorship in volume 17 (chapter 209), but I thought I would post about it here anyway, to make the thread as complete as possible. Sorry about the bad image quality.

Chuang Yi edition: http://web.archive.org/web/20130707182139/http://www.jb2448.info/var/albums/Pokemon_Adventures_17/17-054.jpg
VIZ edition: http://i3.minus.com/iKxn4QUsMZ9eH.png

Wow, i mean, they have completely re-done panels before, remember when kris's (was it kris or green? idk XD) mom slapped her they completely took that panel out and redid it for a *Glare*. So why didnt they do that here? Seems like if they were going to unnecessarily edit a panel, seems like a good time to just scrap it if they are going to be that way.

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
Although, tossing your kid isn't exactly a kid-friendly thing for Pokemon. Still it's better than hitting them...

Exactly. Assuming that the scene was changed with worries about child abuse, throwing your child is really no better. It was pretty much a lose-lose situation as they probably had to make whatever happened non-intentional by Norman.

The edit is pretty silly, but it's probably the best they could do. The dialogue on the other hand was pretty darn bad...

matt0044

The dialogue on the other hand was pretty darn bad...

I find it so bad, it's good. Almost like out of a poorly dubbed kung fu movie. I just can't help but crack a smile, intrusive or otherwise.

And yet somehow this is all much better done than the "glare" scene.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.