• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Censorship in the Viz version

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Yeah in that case I'll just stick to viz. It comes out cheaper especially via amazon.
But just to be a bit safe since I'm not sure exactly how heavy is the packaging, I'll give about 14USD per CY book. And yes, it's more expensive now. PokeSpe used to cost SGD6.50 >.>
The heaviness doesn't matter in this case. Even at lightest whether you sue air mail or SAL you will always pay an initial cost just for shipping an item even if it's just paper. initial costs are around 12 to 10 bucks via SAL.

Last edited:

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
Packaging SGD0.80. 15g

Well, preference is per person. It's just like how Viz books here cost some SGD12 while I can pick up a CY book for SGD9

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Examples?

Also localizing the dialogue is not censorship, and the dialogue was always mild. Remember that people who make their own translated scans do not have knowledge or experience that professionals do and it's pretty popular for people who do the scans to make the dialogue more edgy.
For another visual edit, Jynx's recoloring. Like I said, that's not bad though, since they just did that to be consistent with the games/anime. I'm not honestly sure if there is another visual edit or not, but I think so....If I remember it I'll be sure to tell you. For another example on the dialogue, in volume 7 they milded down one of Lorelei's lines. She originally was asking the reason behind Blue's "suicidal acts", but Viz changed it to "irrational acts". And before you say that this isn't true or "it's just an overexaggeration" or anything, not only is it what Viz got for that line in their original unedited translation, but a friend of mine said it's the same in the Japanese version too.

Localizing the dialogue to use things like the American character and Pokemon names is not censorship at all. That's not what my complaint is about. But changing around a line to something different instead of just using it or milding it down, or changing a line around to be more punny, on the other hand, is definitely something. Like changing this line from volume 1 "These people are so rude!" to "Geez! Is this "Lavender Town" or "Leave 'Em There" Town?" for example. Then again, that's more of taking liberties with the dialogue than censoring it; but it's still not a good thing to do. And I don't know if that is in the second edition or not, since I don't have all the volumes yet. And no, the dialogue is not always mild. I remember a few other instances from the Japanese version, both mentioned by Coronis and my friend, as well in Chuang Yi's (which is still just as official too) version where the dialogue wasn't that mild. And granted one of these is an official source, goes to show it's not "made more edgy". (especially since Chuang Yi directly translates things, hint their occasional problems) As for the translated scans, that's not necessarily so. Some of them know complete Japanese and want to become official manga translators themselves one day. Just because they are 'unofficial' doesn't necessarily mean they are not accurate. And while yes some of them do try to make the dialogue more edgy, not all of them do. It's common sense that the Japanese culture can get by with more things than we can on some things, and their dialogue at times is a perfect example.

If you mean "it is for kids", yeah, I know. I already said that in a comment above.

Trust me, I've personally introduced this manga to other pokemon fans and manga fans who are teenagers and adults and they weren't interested. Even if there are a ton of Pokemon Adventures fans who happen to bee teens or adults, we aren't exactly in the majority here. Especially when you consider amongst manga fans who are teens/adults, pokemon fans, etc.
Really? Did they ever say why not? Then again I was just going from my experience of making some people, both teens and adults alike, read it and they all really enjoyed and got into the series. Most of them were avid fans of the games though, so that might be why. That is true we may not be, but we don't know the exact numbers. I know plenty of teens/adults who are manga fans, and still Pokemon fans, at least of the games. You do have a point though.

It's been awile since I've read the GSC arc, is it the same as the game? If so then you won't have to worry about it.
Well, you have to remember, these were back during the GSC days, so we can't quite tell from her game sprite. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:LeaderClair_GSC.png
But yes, outfit wise it is the same. In the manga however it's drawn with a bit more....emphasis:
Volume 10's backcover artwork: http://giantbev.info/jb2448/gallery3/index.php/Official_Art/illust08
And a few pictures from the chapters (don't worry, I cropped to where it's just a picture of her)
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire1.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire2.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire3.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire4.jpg

Do you think they'll keep that?

They might keep it though, I guess, since aside from the backcover and the first chapter picture they might not consider it that bad, but since it is so tight they might edit away the bodylines. The thing is you just never know with Viz, lol. However, in the anime it had a pretty similar emphasis, just a bit less so on the bust, so who knows, they may keep it after all.

The point is that Gold did something that could be interpreted as being sexual (heck, even Silver pointed out he was being dirty after he punched him for it) which would warrant a censor or cut.
True. But compared to Pokeboobs, Viz might not consider it bad enough to censor or cut. You never know though, guess we'll just see. I'd hope not though, since I like my series edited as little as possible.

I lost count since I currently cannot afford to keep up with this series.
Oh okay. Well I hope you and I both can catch up soon. :) I'm sorry though, I didn't mean to rub it in your face or anything, I was just trying to help correct your number.

I already mentioned that they retained some of their jokes but over all it is not as bad as the 1st edition.
Oh I know, I was saying that was a good thing, haha. But I'm guessing you don't have volume 8 or 9 to tell me if they have any there, though?

That's illegal.
Technically yes, but as long as one still supports the series by still buying them it's not as bad. Still bad though, I suppose. Then again that just depends on one's moral standards, and heck, people still do illegal things online anyway, regardless if people themselves do it or find it right or wrong. (not that I'm trying to encourage people though, just stately truthfully) Oh, and another thing worth mentioning: It might not be illegal for too long; Viz is letting some of their series still stay online to be read, which goes to show that they don't mind or have any problems with it. (which also means they wouldn't go to any legal trouble with it) Another thing too, there is a site being made that is already getting permission from both English manga companies and the original Japanese ones for a free, legal website to read manga online. It'll be completely free and legal too, but still support the creator and English companies. Plus, it would mean people would not only not have to feel guilty about reading it online, but always get accurate and high quality scans. And be caught up to Japan. They even said that they will allow fan translators to help them if they would like, and if they are good enough they will even give them an actual job as a professional editor. So, I think that goes to show that not all online "fan translations" of mangas or animes are incorrect, exaggerating or bad. Heck, it shows that some of them out there are just as good as official ones, if not better.

The point is that they shouldn't have ANY errors and some of those errors are pretty big.
While true Viz has errors too, even if they are admittedly smaller. And also true, but for the most part a lot of Chuang Yi errors tend to be more on the minor side. I will admit there are a few occasional exceptions though, but not really so much nowadays. Heck, nowadays Chuang Yi's new volumes have little to no errors/mistranslations.

Examples?
"See Red in his disguise!" is "See Red is disguise!" and "An appearance by Mew!" is "An appearans by Mew!" for a couple. As for mistranslations, that was actually the wrong word, I meant that sometimes they had taken liberties not needed in the translation, as mentioned above. Something like milding down dialogue is different, but when you change something to something completely different or make something funny when it originally wasn't, ect., that is showing some liberties being taken. Which any translator, fan or not, shouldn't do. (this also shows professionals do it too) Again though, most of my complaints and knowledge are on the second editions of volumes 1-7, I haven't seen enough of volumes 8 or 9 to have any yet. Plus I hear they are doing better on those anyway since they are a new translation and not having to stay consistent to an odd, first edition release.

When the normal price of manga in general is $10 (Viz version of this manga for about $8)? I still find that expensive.

all I can respond to right now
....By what, a few dollars more? Heck, that's way better than the eBay users who charge $30 or more for one volume. Now that is expensive and overpriced. Considering shipping and all Chuang Yi's are still reasonable, at least when you get them from a good seller.

And okay, take your time. I hope my replies aren't too much for you though; I'm sorry they are so long. I really need to watch that somehow, lol. And I'm not running down Viz's releases or trying to say Chuang Yi's is better here, just mainly correcting a couple of misconceptions here. (on both Viz and Chuang Yi sides) Neither are that bad.

Well not literally 10 to 15 per book but say 10 or 15 to start with and about 2.50 dollars more for every extra book. Your conversion rates are not wrong but your shipping rates are way off. You can't use domestic shipping inside singapore or in the USA as a way to show the cost of shipping from one country to another.
Either way Viz is just cheaper and has an acceptable amount of "errors".
Still, that price is way better than those crazy eBay sellers that charge $30 or more for one book.
Viz is cheaper, and the errors aren't that bad. But Chuang Yi's version still isn't that bad either. Like I try to say all along, let people get what they want. I'm not trying to say one version is better, but boy do people really have some misconceptions about Viz and Chuang Yi's release.

Last edited:

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Well, you have to remember, these were back during the GSC days, so we can't quite tell from her game sprite. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:LeaderClair_GSC.png
But yes, outfit wise it is the same. In the manga however it's drawn with a bit more....emphasis:
Volume 10's backcover artwork: http://giantbev.info/jb2448/gallery3/index.php/Official_Art/illust08
And a few pictures from the chapters (don't worry, I cropped to where it's just a picture of her)
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire1.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire2.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire3.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire4.jpg

Do you think they'll keep that?
Yes they will. Please don't assume they edit everything now only when necessary. Half the time it's to get through the censors and thats the only reason they edit.
Btw the cost of the imported version seems to be around 18 or close to it when I can get a viz book for about 8 bucks each. There's a nice gap in price depending on who you talk to it's not worth it.

Last edited:

Eloi

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
If you're strapped for cash and are not picky, go for Viz. If you're seriously anal enough about accuracy, censorship and book covers, plus have the necessary contacts and the money, I don't see why people can't go for CY.

While yes, I agree CY has its fair share of errors (hell, even their paper quality ain't that awesome. My Shaman King books yellowed in about a year) and it's certainly expensive to import to US due to our shipping rates and somewhat high book price. I find your tone somewhat forceful, as if you're trying to get people to buy Viz instead because, the only reason I can read anyway, it's cheaper than CY and CY's only winning strength is that it releases faster than Viz. The currency rates issue, US dollar is about USD1.20 : SGD1. While we may have the cheaper dollar, our living standards are raised and reason why Special cost SGD8.90 now is because of the taxes.

Well yes, the manga IS meant for kids. I started reading at 19 years old and I'm still reading it and following it now (ogod... I feel old). It doesn't have the same elements as the anime (which is already childish enough to be on par with a Disney film). I just find that the recent volumes are darker and edgier than compared to the more light-hearted troubles that occured in RGBY and GSC

blob

Well, if you have a lot of Chuang Yi Volumes, then it'd be annoying to wait a long time for the Viz version.
I think that the paper Q is better for Pokémon Adventures, because none of my books have yellowed.