• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Censorship in the Viz version

Eloi

blob

That and mutating cigs into lollipops in One Piece and cutting off numerous scenes in YGO. That's anime. This is manga.

Depends on who you buy from. Shipping, for registered mail for a few ten trading cards, was only SGD4 on top of the weight cost, iirc. Whoever you bought YOUR copy of CY PokeSpe from, the seller probably wanted commission, therefore the higher price. In a way, you did get scammed if you paid more than SGD20 for one book

Hmm... It says a books is 8 Dollars. Is that 8SGD, or American?

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Thus far there are a grand total of 2 cases of censorship in the entire 2nd edition of Viz. The first was simply a dialogue change, however the second one went farther and was forced to edit the actual panels themselves in order to accomplish that they wanted.
....There are a few more than that. I can think of at least a couple more visual and dialogue edits. The second visual edit I'll admit isn't bad at all, but if you think there has only been one dialogue edit you are incorrect, lol. Either making something more jokesy than it was in the original, or milding down some other dialogue usually. And technically on the Pokeboobs scene, they edited the dialogue too (in my opinion, both the edit was poorly done and the new dialogue was stupid) and only the Pokeboobs panel, they didn't edit any of the ones before or after. I think that's part of the complaint too, the inconsistent and poor job they did, and how stupidly they did it too. I remember a lot of people saying, even first-timers, it created a lot of confusion. In the page before Blue is still shown with a big bust, and in the pages after her outfit is shown randomly torn for no apparent reason, lol. In my opinion, not to brag but I think the best way to edit it would have been the way I would have edited it. Had I edited it, I still would have kept the whole 'Pokeballs came from her chest!?' line but just drawn her outfit kind of torn like it is in other panels (not bad enough to where you could see anything though) and made the two Pokeballs go up to the left and right, making it look like the impact had knocked them out of her top. It would have prevented the scene from looking bad, but still kept everything in tact pretty much, instead of Pokemon coming from nowhere and random big boobs and torn outfits, lol. (if need-be I can make an example on Paint)

First off let's get one thing straight:

Pokemon Adventure is not a manga meant for teens
Pokemon Adventures is not a mange meant for adults
Pokemon adventures is a manga meant for children
Technically I think Pokemon Adventures has a lot of things for any game fan of any age, and especially that which teens and adults can enjoy. It also has quite a full Shonen and older series elements that make it seem kind of older too. IMO, Pokemon Adventures is one of those series that isn't per say meant for kids, but definitely doesn't exclude them as an audience. If that makes any sense. Then again I say that because when I hear kiddy on anything, I usually expect it to be dumb or silly and not that intelligent or meant for anyone other than kids, lol. At least most of the time. (I do realize that is a horrible stereotype though) So that may just be me.

The "mature" things that happen in this manga are ok for elementary school children in Japan. However due to cultural differences, there are some things that are not okay for the exact same age bracket in the USA. Viz obviously does not want to change the target audience of the manga because for the most part there is very, very little in this manga that the culture here in the united states would find inappropriate for children in the first place. In reality, it would be much more difficult to market this manga towards teenagers because although we as pokemon fans may enjoy it the vast majority of teenagers would most likely find this manga too childish because it doesn't have the same level of violence and other explicit material as manga meant for their age group to begin with.
I still don't think had they still kept everything in, it would cause any damage whatsoever. I think Viz is either just being too careful, or their new editor for this series likes her things very mild and clean-cut. I don't think so -- a Teen rating would prevent any and all censorship (although I don't even think it needs one to) and I'm sure any teenage Pokemon fan would find all sorts of stuff in it that they would like; plenty of violence and action (have you even SEEN the R/S arc? People getting crushed violently by rocks, people burning to death, people almost drowning, ect.) and I think the characters personalities and the plot would make it seem hardly kiddish at all to them too. In fact almost every fan I know of the series is a teenager or an adult and because of said reasons, so I think they would have an easier time than they think, but just because the games and anime are for kids I guess they think their manga market for Pokemon should/has to be too.
You will most likely not have to worry about the violence being edited that is because comparatively we are more "ok" with exposing our children to violent media then other countries. The flipside is that we are a lot less ok with exposing our children to images that could be interpreted as sexual (while other countries are less sensitive about the subject) then other countries. Therefore the edits you are likely to see will be concerning only material that would be considered too sexual. In this perspective, it seemed obvious that a joke about groping and another about breast; while perfectly innocent in Japan, whole seem objectionable overseas.
I am beginning to agree with you guys on violence. As far as I know Viz has never once edited any violence in any of their series. The only reason I was worrying for it prior is because R/S and other arcs have even more vicious and mature violence compared to earlier arcs, and since Satoshi Yamamoto (the new artist from 10-onwards) draws things a lot more realistically and detailed too, compared to Mato's (volumes 1-9) artwork. I already mentioned the boob thing, but as for the groping thing I think it could still have been fine since it was just dialogue. IMO, if it was really so bad, instead of just randomly making it something so out of character; they could have just used a milder equivalent like "Quit touching me!" or "quit getting so feely" or something instead. I would have honestly preferred that, since the "Don't get me dirty!" thing seems so unfitting for a tomboy like Misty.

In the last decade or so standards have changed and become even tighter, which explains why the jokes were present in the 1st edition, but not in the second. The only thing I can honestly imagine people having to worry about being censored in the manga is the butt-touching scene, which may have anything from a simple dialogue edit like the "groping" joke, or would be cut completely.
While true, complaints are not just about Viz's censorship. Some of the other complaints I've heard a lot (and agree with, actually) is how they didn't 'fix' some of their past mistakes so far. Being a second edition, which should be improved, they could have easily fixed the name swap, gave nicknames for all of Red's Pokemon and Blue's (the girl) too this time around, and some other things like that. But instead they went with trying to stay close to their first edition for the first seven volumes, but this time with added censorship not in the originals. Which made it like a less improved version of the original, so of course I can understand why some people got so upset. Either give us a fully new translation for all volumes, or just reuse the old without the censorship, I don't want a weird hybrid of the two. Dx And well, as someone who is practically caught up to Japan with both Chuang Yi's version and the Japanese version; I still say there are some more visual and dialogue edits we can worry for besides the whole butt thing. Heck, one thing I'm already worried for is Claire's outfit in volume 10. And as for censoring the butt-touching scene, they might keep that actually since it isn't as 'explicit' as the Pokeboobs thing, and is fairly humorous and mild compared to Pokeboobs. Heck, all Gold says is "Who's this sexy lady?" (and lightly pats her butt). That isn't bad at all. And as for cutting it completely, they would either have to do a butt load of editing on one panel a few panels, or cut the page completely, since that whole scene is a fairly big part of that page. So...I think we might luck out with them leaving it in. Also, another thing worth mentioning is as time goes by many editors tend to let more things 'slip in' and edit less things as time goes on, because they trust a manga more. And unless they start getting complaints, they'll usually let even more in. So we might be good after all.

Just because they have censored a grand total of 2 small jokes in 10+ volumes does not mean the work was violated and it's somehow a mere shadow of its former self. All they did was simply edit two, small, isolated jokes that would be considered objectionable by society's standards.
Um, we technically only have 9 volumes currently done by Viz released, so we don't know if they edited or changed anything in the future volumes yet or not. And, like I said before, a few more than just 2. Anyways, while my original point of there being more than those two things edited still stands, I do still agree that Viz's edits aren't anywhere near as bad as 4Kids or Dic censorship, and the manga isn't THAT different from the original Japanese version.

The manga is no longer flipped, the cover and back covers have the same artwork (though the presentation is different) the dialogue is much closer to the original Japanese version instead of trying to be funny and cram in jokes everywhere it can (though, some of them still remain from the first edition, some were edited out as well) the violence is left untouched, so for the most part the content is exactly the same as that as the Japanese version, minus those 2 small jokes that have zero impact on the manga itself minus maybe a giggle, and minor edits such as the name flipping and nickname changes. Over all? while yes it is not 100% it's more like... 90% which objectively isn't nearly as terrible as people make it out to be.
I agree it's great they no longer flip manga. I wish they hadn't on their first release because then those wouldn't have been so bad, and then Chuang Yi's would have never been flipped their version in the first place. (The first seven CY volumes are Viz's, and the CY flipped all latter volumes to stay consistent) I do like that they are trying to stay closer to the cover and back cover artwork, but I do kind of dislike how they just copy the artwork onto a new background on the cover, which isn't anywhere as cool as the original ones. Also worth mentioning is two of their new volumes, 1 and 4, don't even have their original Japanese cover artwork but a random colored manga scene, but that's only because the "Best Of" volumes used those two covers. I also dislike how tiny they make the backcover artwork when it should be much bigger. Really? I noticed in at least some of the first 7 volumes they retained some of their first edition jokes. I haven't seen them all though, so if they haven't retained all of them that's definitely a good thing. I'm glad to hear they are being more like Chuang Yi and translating directly. Have they still been using puns or jokes (outside of chapter titles) in volumes 8-onwards, out of curiosity? I am glad the violence has been left untouched so far. And I think it might stay that way, or at least I hope.

Now then if you insist on having your manga exactly the same as the Japanese version? Order the Japanese version. While Chuang-Yi has zero censorship of any variety, it has numerous dialogue errors, some of which can be downright confusing or contradictory. Such errors include: maganium evolving into bayleef, (if I recall correctly) Tate and Liza were incorrectly referred to as both being female when Tate is a male, and I distinctly remembering in the flashback chapter of the FRLG arc Silver saying that he and blue were taken to Hoenn, when they were clearly taken to Johto. This is just a few of their many, many errors, while they are less frequent in more recent volumes they certainly still happen. Comparatively speaking, the only errors Viz has had thus far that I can recall are the occasional typo.
You know people could just read it online for free, to have it just like the Japanese version. XD There are fantastic scanlations out there. I do definitely agree for people to get Viz, Chuang Yi and/or Japan's volumes to help support it though, but I still don't see anything wrong with reading it online as long as you support it somehow still. As for the dialogue errors, oh please, Chuang Yi's only truly bad volumes were 8 and 9. Volumes 10-onward are pretty great, and they get less and less errors as they go along. In fact their typical volumes nowadays only have one or two errors/mistranslations if even that. As for the Bayleef thing, I don't quite remember it, but it might be possible. The Tate and Liza was only one time, and you have to admit it is an easy mistake to make. xDDD;;; I always thought they were both girls before myself. O____O; I also don't remember the FRLG part, but that might still be there too. Still, there aren't that many errors and you are making it sound a lot worse than it truly is. Actually, Viz so far has had occasional typos/mistranslations. They have also called Pokemon by the wrong species name before, had poor grammar/sentence structure a couple times and heck, they even caused confusion themselves with the Blue Pokeboob scene for example, lol. So they both have their flaws, and somewhat similar mistakes too, oddly enough. Ironically though both release seem to become better as they go along.
Pick your poison: an easy to come by, bust slightly censored viz version, or a much harder to come by, and due to shipping nearly twice as expensive Chuang-Yi version that despite having poor editing isn't censored at all.
You do realize kawaii serebii (who is an AWESOME person, btw =D) sells one volume of CY Adventures for around $14 (US), don't you? That isn't that expensive at all. 'Course prices vary a bit depending on where you live, but compared to the typical eBay price of $30 or more a volume that isn't bad at all.
Might I add that the Chuang Yi version isn't badly translated or poorly edited at all. Not to mention, some people find the Chuang Yi version worth it because it's high quality too. What I like to say is people can buy whatever version they want and prefer, simple as that. The Viz version is a bit easier and cheaper to get, but the Chuang Yi version isn't that much more (if you find a good seller like kawaii serebii <3333) or that much harder to get.

Either that, or take the time to learn Japanese.
To be honest this is the only thing on your posts here that I find to be kind of rude. I find it pretty rude for people to say that just because someone says they don't like one (or both) of the versions we have of Special here. Learning a language takes a lot of time and people shouldn't have to do that to be able to read their favorite series, and some people, like myself, are actually trying. Technically I think it'd be best to just say 'either buy Chuang Yi or Viz's version, simple as that.' Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you for saying that (and I'm probably not explaining my reasons well enough), but I just feel this way about it.

The people who like the Viz version seem to be in the minority (or at least that's the impression I get from these forums alone since I don't frequent other pokemon boards often) so to them it does.

While I personally have no problem with the Viz version, I know to some people that what changes I consider to be pretty small to them are HUGE. That 10 percent really makes a difference. I have seem some reviews of this manga that make the discussion of censorships of these forums look pretty tame. And honestly? That's not ok. It gives people the wrong impression.
I disagree. And no, not because I'm biased or anything. It seems like the people who like the Viz version are the majority and everyone has either turned their back on CY or complain viciously about it, when it honestly isn't that bad. Honestly hating on either isn't fair, because both are pretty good. I will take up for Chuang Yi though when people thoughtlessly run it down, especially considering not only how important it has been to us, but it sure isn't as bad as anyone tries to make it seem. To me it seems like people just like to run down the CY version to make Viz's version sound better and get people to buy it, which I don't get since both are great and popular. Let people like what they like.

While true, running down CY gives just as bad of a wrong impression. And I honestly believe, regardless of how big or little there is, everyone deserves to know if an anime or manga has any censorship. I just believe people have the right to know and should have the right to decide on their own after being told. (and for the record, yes, I do buy some censored manga as long as it is nothing too extreme) I do agree though Viz could have censored it a lot worse and their version isn't that bad.

Suitable for all ages? Of course.
But that doesn't change the fact that the target audience is children and has always been children.

I found translating DPPt before RSE was really awkward (it even made me really angry!) at first because for your reasons as well as I think it would confuse a lot of new readers as well, but thinking about it now it does make sense: this way they can publish the series twice as fast, and they started at DPPt because those games are still relevant at the moment. Starting at the FRLG arc would be ok until you run into the emerald arc and suddenly people would be confused because it would basically be published at the same time RS arc is being published. We still have to go through diamond and pearl + the platinum arc before we run into the HGSS arcs and there shouldn't be an issue with that because most of the cast has pretty much already been shown in GSC/DPPt. The only snag it really runs into is the TR drama from FRLG so unless FRLG is published before the HGSS arc it would spoil a nice chunk of the plot from that arc. While that does suck, it is a lot less sucky then having the emerald arc running at the same time as Ruby and sapphire.
I'm probably in the minority, but I believe in changing a target audience even if just slightly (like to pre-teens), to make sure an anime or manga gets as little to no censorship as possible. I believe in looking at a series for what it is and adapting it into an American equivalent audience so as much as possible can remain in tact. That might just be me though. :p And regardless the series and its 'target audience of children', I remember reading that Special's popularity in Japan isn't just with kids but plenty of teens and adults as well, haha.

Honestly I wouldn't have minded as much had they kept the series called 'Diamond or Pearl', or at least just waited on it so it would still be volume 30 and part of the same series. I definitely agree one reason I don't like it is it'll probably confuse readers. Another reason I dislike the 'Platinum' title change is not only is that what it's not supposed to be called, but it's not just simple the case of different title that won't cause any problems, since there actually is a Platinum series in Japan. (and due to this, Viz's Platinum will probably be a few extra volumes long) And honestly they did it wrong, imo. Sure we will be getting through the series twice as fast, but it would have been even better if instead of two volumes of different arcs; they either did one volume a month (or two every two months) of the same arc. Because that way we would get catch up even faster (12 new volumes a year instead of 10 like now), as well as we would get through all of the arcs faster, and none of this crazy separate series new name business we have now. And I don't quite get what you mean about HGSS. We won't be getting that 'til the end of next year at the EARLIEST, and that'll only be in Japan. And Viz won't be done with DP 'til 2013, and with GSC/RS/FRLG/Emerald 'til 2014. So by the time we even get HGSS here in America we should probably be completely caught up. And technically if they did a 3rd series or did something other than DP, I'm pretty sure it would be of Ruby/Sapphire, not FR/LG or Emerald, since all of those arcs have ties. (the end of R/S to FR/LG, the end of FR/LG and some of R/S to Emerald, ect.) Which, if you think about it, aside from being messy 3 separate series would be great. We would get caught up even quicker, and how it could work is they would work on R/S, G/S/C and D/P all at once. Then, once G/S/C is done that team could go on to help the R/S team, or go do FR/LG and by then the R/S team would probably be done with R/S. And then that way they by the time they both finish G/S/C, R/S and FR/LG, both teams could work on Emerald to get it done twice as fast. (which would be fairly easy since the arc is only 4 volumes long) Not to mention, both teams would probably work together to stay consistent with G/S/C, R/S and the Kanto quartet's personalities and nicknames. It would actually work really, really nice. The only thing is I would hate how messy it would all be.
If this manga was meant solely for preteens they might have been able to get away with no censorship but there is still those ages 7-9 in there so they'd rather play it safe and round down.
What I don't get is I don't really think kids 7-9 would be into reading, let alone manga, so early anyway. So I kind of wish they would have just made the audience preteens, since that's probably the larger number of their audience, combined with all the older fans. And hey, I still think they could have managed to keep everything (or almost everything) without it affecting the rating. (yes, I mean the Pokeboobs too) Seriously, even in America keeping one panel of Pokeboobs wouldn't automatically result in a Teen or Mature rating. Heck, I know some young kids who saw that scene and didn't think anything of it, because the sexual innuendo of the scene is obviously above a kids' (usually innocent) brain. I think it's more of the fact that the editors, who are in charge of what is edited and not, being different this time around. As well, this time around it's a woman, and I don't mean this as sexist, but she may have found it more offensive since she was a woman and not a man like the original editor. I say this because I do have a female friend who is an adult who got offended at the scene and said she was so glad they censored it, so maybe the editor's just an easily offended woman or a religious one, lol.

If I remember correctly, I read Pokemon Special at eight or nineish, with the whole "Green hid Poke Balls under her clothes in her chest area/Black Jynx/"SHOCKING TALE OF POKELOVE: "That's the last bath I'll take with my Tentacool!" and didn't turn out any worse for ware.
I didn't read it so early sadly (heck, I never even knew about it nor read it 'til late 2009/early 2010. xDDD;;; ) but it didn't scar me either. I do realize I'm older but still. I seriously doubt keeping all this in would have bumped up the rating of the manga too much (if at all) or 'scarred kids for life' or something. And oh, btw, they changed Jynx to stay consistent with the games, so it's not as bad. And actually the whole shocking tale of Pokelove is still in their second editions, ironically. xDDDDDDDDD I wonder if they'll keep the scene in the G/S/C, near the end, where I believe that same person is shown in a tub with her Tentacool. xDDDDD

I don't get why people complain about Viz's censorship (of a ten year-old girl's Poke-boobs), but they completely ignore what 4Kids has done to the Anime, including turning rice balls into doughnuts, and that awful Beauty and the Beach hackjob.

CY may come out faster, and it may not censor anything, but it's expensive as Hell to import, has a ridiculous amount of errors, and the translation is full of Engrish.
I don't know what you are talking about, 4Kids gets complained about all the time. Just in a different sub-forum. And while still bad, technically 4Kids didn't do half as bad with Pokemon as they have with other series like Yu-Gi-Oh! or One Piece, for example. And part of the reason for complaints about censorship now in the manga is because it wasn't there before, and since this time they actually plan to stick with the series of course it is worrying. And as I said, it could most definitely lead to more. (and I'm talking about more than just the butt pat scene too)

You do realize kawaii serebii (who is an AWESOME person, btw =D) sells one volume of CY Adventures for around $14 (US), don't you? That isn't that expensive at all. 'Course prices vary a bit depending on where you live, but compared to the typical eBay price of $30 or more a volume that isn't bad at all. The expensive price is due to people overcharging for shipping on eBay anyway. If you manage to find a reasonable seller it's not that bad. And okay, seriously, that's not true at all. I will give you Chuang Yi's volume 8 and 9 were kind of bad, but volumes 10-onward had a pretty great translation, with little to no errors, and YES, EASY-TO-UNDERSTAND PROPER ENGLISH. Just because they are Singaporean doesn't mean their English is bad, in fact it's pretty great. I would never even guess it was a foreign translator had I not known. And I can get if you prefer Viz but please, stop spreading a bunch of lies about Chuang Yi to run it down. I've seen you do this more than one and I'm tired of it.

Last edited:

blob

I don't know about Volume 4, but Volume 1 has the back cover artwork on the front, and not something randomly coloured in.

I don't like how Viz named the DP chapter Pokémon Adventure: Platinum, because no-one knew what she was called until much later on in the series, and when Viz do get to the Platinum series, they'll be screwed, because they named the DP series that.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I don't know about Volume 4, but Volume 1 has the back cover artwork on the front, and not something randomly coloured in.

I don't like how Viz named the DP chapter Pokémon Adventure: Platinum, because no-one knew what she was called until much later on in the series, and when Viz do get to the Platinum series, they'll be screwed, because they named the DP series that.
Huh, you're right. =o My bad then! Then what on Earth is on the backcover for volume 1 then? XD But volume 4 is a randomly colored in scene at least, because I just checked and the back of it has Lorelei with her whole team, and that most definitely is not the cover. =3

Exactly, lol. The Platinum arc is going to be one long arc here, and sadly it'll kind of take away the specialness of having a DP arc and a Platinum arc. It'll just be one long arc, and treated as a 'separate' series. :/

blob

Huh, you're right. =o My bad then! Then what on Earth is on the backcover for volume 1 then? XD But volume 4 is a randomly colored in scene at least, because I just checked and the back of it has Lorelei with her whole team, and that most definitely is not the cover. =3

Exactly, lol. The Platinum arc is going to be one long arc here, and sadly it'll kind of take away the specialness of having a DP arc and a Platinum arc. It'll just be one long arc, and treated as a 'separate' series. :/

I guess there'll only be 9 chapters when it comes to BW. That is, if they're keeping them.

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
1dbad said:
While true, complaints are not just about Viz's censorship. Some of the other complaints I've heard a lot (and agree with, actually) is how they didn't 'fix' some of their past mistakes so far. Being a second edition, which should be improved, they could have easily fixed the name swap, gave nicknames for all of Red's Pokemon and Blue's (the girl) too this time around, and some other things like that.

The Green/Blue name change is no more of a 'mistake' than Satoshi being called Ash. Green is Blue's American name. Blue is Green's American name. This was completely intentional and not some sort of translation error. The only effect this even has in-series is the FR/LG arc...and its not like 'untranslatable' lines havent been written around in english manga, so this is really no different.

Sure there is confusion to which 'Blue' one might be referring to, but I feel like changing the names back will cause even more confusion.

How is that any different from what they did with the R/B/G and Yellow arcs? They're both considered 'Pokemon Adventure' by Viz, and not "Pokemon Adventure Red/Blue" and "Pokemon Adventure Yellow". And NOBODY complains about that. Besides, the title is 'Pokemon Adventure: Platinum', not 'Pokemon Adventure: The girl in this series is named Platinum'. Not only is there still room for surprise for new readers, but half of the people who would read this KNOW her name in the first place, so it's really not worth complaining about.

Seriously, Viz tries to please fans by releasing more Special, and all they can do is baaaw about how bad the titles and numbering is. It's not hat important.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
The Green/Blue name change is no more of a 'mistake' than Satoshi being called Ash. Green is Blue's American name. Blue is Green's American name. This was completely intentional and not some sort of translation error. The only effect this even has in-series is the FR/LG arc...and its not like 'untranslatable' lines havent been written around in english manga, so this is really no different.

Sure there is confusion to which 'Blue' one might be referring to, but I feel like changing the names back will cause even more confusion.
True, but a mistranslated one. You are right though that it is similar, since Ash is just an Americanized name for Satoshi here. But the Blue thing; that's mainly due to them releasing Red and Blue here and never giving us Green (and technically we only even got Blue version, just in a red and blue cartridge), so they went with Blue for his official name on GSC, and HGSS stayed consistent with that. And I never said it was a translation error, just that they had a chance to fix it and they didn't. And yes, while that is true that that is the only important scene that it even matters, I still would prefer for them to have their proper original names. And still, they could have at least fixed the nickname thing. They don't have to stay 100% consistent with the original release, especially since this is supposed to be a second edition and new translation by a new translator/editor anyway.

I don't think so; all Viz would have to do is just call it by their proper names. Heck, since they are aiming at kids (which some probably don't even play the games; and even the ones who do aside from HG/SS that's the only new name with 'Blue' even in them) it's not like it matters anyway. If it was really so problematic though they could just put a translators note at the beginning of any volume they appeared in (which, technically, isn't that many) and explain that they are going by the Japanese names, even though they would be swapped in America. Simple as that.

How is that any different from what they did with the R/B/G and Yellow arcs? They're both considered 'Pokemon Adventure' by Viz, and not "Pokemon Adventure Red/Blue" and "Pokemon Adventure Yellow". And NOBODY complains about that. Besides, the title is 'Pokemon Adventure: Platinum', not 'Pokemon Adventure: The girl in this series is named Platinum'. Not only is there still room for surprise for new readers, but half of the people who would read this KNOW her name in the first place, so it's really not worth complaining about.

Seriously, Viz tries to please fans by releasing more Special, and all they can do is baaaw about how bad the titles and numbering is. It's not hat important.
But with Gold/Silver/Crystal for example, it was only a subtitle. And, all those volumes are sticking to the same side of the series and with the original numbering. That's why nobody was complaining, because there was nothing wrong with that, lol. You do have a point though, lol, but my main complaint is I wish they would have either waited on Platinum so it would still be volume 30 at least, or just called it 'Diamond and Pearl', although their misnaming of DPA! kind of took care of that.

To be fair I never really cared about Viz releasing Special again. I liked Chuang Yi's version and it was good and did the job. There is also the Japanese version and scanlations, so I was good myself, lol. And technically, although it is possible they wanted to please fans, I think their main reason for doing it was when they did that whole "Best of: Red" and "Best of: Yellow" test to see if people would buy more, enough people bought them to show them that it would do well. Not to mention, I'm sure winning an award by Nickelodeon as 'Most Popular Kid's Manga', and seeing how popular and well it does online is what made them realized the market they had missed and so they decided to try to cash in on it now. I don't mind the titles or subtitles, but I do still wish they would have kept it part of the same series instead of treating it as a new one and messing with the name/volume number. Sure it's not that important, but it will result in a bit of confusion as to why it's separate, and 'Platinum' will be extra long with DP and Platinum to fill up its pages here. I honestly just kind of wish they would have done the best thing: One volume every month or two bi-montly. It'd give us twelve volumes a year, even more than we'll get now, help us catch up quicker, and plus, we'd get to breeze though all the arcs a lot quicker and not to mention leave all the volumes numbers in tact. Ah well.

Last edited:

Eloi

True, but a mistranslated one. You are right though that it is similar, since Ash is just an Americanized name for Satoshi here. But the Blue thing; that's mainly due to them releasing Red and Blue here and never giving us Green (and technically we only even got Blue version, just in a red and blue cartridge), so they went with Blue for his official name on GSC, and HGSS stayed consistent with that. And I never said it was a translation error, just that they had a chance to fix it and they didn't. And yes, while that is true that that is the only important scene that it even matters, I still would prefer for them to have their proper original names. And still, they could have at least fixed the nickname thing. They don't have to stay 100% consistent with the original release, especially since this is supposed to be a second edition and new translation by a new translator/editor anyway.
From an International stand-point Blue (rival) and Green (girl) makes sense, because you had Red and Blue, then you had the female option introduced in FireRed and LeafGreen, and I think "Green" is a much better name than "Leaf" in terms of silliness. Thus, I fully support the International-naming scheme over the Japanese one.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
From an International stand-point Blue (rival) and Green (girl) makes sense, because you had Red and Blue, then you had the female option introduced in FireRed and LeafGreen, and I think "Green" is a much better name than "Leaf" in terms of silliness. Thus, I fully support the International-naming scheme over the Japanese one.
You have a point. Although it does make things like her having the Water starter and blue eyes kind of odd, but at the same time those are very minor things. (and Red and Green were already opposites on the starter thing anyway) I do agree though that I prefer Green to Leaf as her name though. Although, I think technically her official Japanese name would be Blue, had she ever been also been featured as a non-playable character when playing as the boy. I mean think about it: Japan had Red, Blue and Green versions, and Red and Green are two of the characters. So, to most likely follow the naming theme, had she existed at that time and been in the game's plot she would have most likely been Blue in Japan. Remember, Leaf is just a fan name after all. And the only reason the remakes were FR/LG was due to Red/Green being the paired versions in Japan, and they just included the girl as a playable girl option on it to be like the other games and make up for last time. Which, if you think about it, would also help fuel the Green thing here, since had all this actually been the case, with Blue most likely still being the boy here we would have had Green as the girl anyway. I still prefer Blue as the girl and Green as the guy though, but admittedly it's nothing too major. I mean at least all the other characters should retain their names a-OK.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I'm just gonna step in and change a bad train of thought
Technically I think Pokemon Adventures has a lot of things for any game fan of any age, and especially that which teens and adults can enjoy. It also has quite a full Shonen and older series elements that make it seem kind of older too. IMO, Pokemon Adventures is one of those series that isn't per say meant for kids, but definitely doesn't exclude them as an audience. If that makes any sense. Then again I say that because when I hear kiddy on anything, I usually expect it to be dumb or silly and not that intelligent or meant for anyone other than kids, lol. At least most of the time. (I do realize that is a horrible stereotype though) So that may just be me.
It is meant for kids completely. IT doesn't matter how many things can appeal to the older crowd if the aim is for kids. Special is Kodomo level manga and always will be no matter what you may think.
With that said nothing stops you from liking things meant for kids. I just wish people would stop believing they're reading something for an older tier.
Carry on.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I'm just gonna step in and change a bad train of thought

It is meant for kids completely. IT doesn't matter how many things can appeal to the older crowd if the aim is for kids. Special is Kodomo level manga and always will be no matter what you may think.
With that said nothing stops you from liking things meant for kids. I just wish people would stop believing they're reading something for an older tier.
Carry on.
I know that, I just meant I think it definitely appeals to more than just that. Saying that something doesn't exclude kids as it's audience definitely says that it aims for kids just as much as well. (otherwise how could it include them?) I was just trying to word it differently from other people but I suppose I worded it wonky which changed the meaning, lol. At the same time though, cultural differences between Japan and the US does make some things in it seem like it would be for an older audience here, but not really by that big of a difference. (I think Kaika was right on saying they could have possibly made the aim preteens here) Whatever, it works fine as is, and aside from a few edits we have now, and a few edits we might get later, I don't think Viz will have any problems besides occasional minor things, like that one line in FR/LG, printing the two page spread of additional colored art from volume 20 (which had some of the best scenes from R/S so far colored, and also a page full of all of the Kanto, Johto and Hoenn Pokemon fighting, also colored) will probably be printed in black and white instead of color like how they do the author/artist note thing, ect.

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
....There are a few more than that. I can think of at least a couple more visual and dialogue edits. The second visual edit I'll admit isn't bad at all, but if you think there has only been one dialogue edit you are incorrect, lol. Either making something more jokesy than it was in the original, or milding down some other dialogue usually.

Examples?

Also localizing the dialogue is not censorship, and the dialogue was always mild. Remember that people who make their own translated scans do not have knowledge or experience that professionals do and it's pretty popular for people who do the scans to make the dialogue more edgy.

Then again I say that because when I hear kiddy on anything, I usually expect it to be dumb or silly and not that intelligent or meant for anyone other than kids, lol. At least most of the time. (I do realize that is a horrible stereotype though) So that may just be me.

It is.

I still don't think had they still kept everything in, it would cause any damage whatsoever. I think Viz is either just being too careful, or their new editor for this series likes her things very mild and clean-cut. I don't think so -- a Teen rating would prevent any and all censorship (although I don't even think it needs one to) and I'm sure any teenage Pokemon fan would find all sorts of stuff in it that they would like; plenty of violence and action (have you even SEEN the R/S arc? People getting crushed violently by rocks, people burning to death, people almost drowning, ect.) and I think the characters personalities and the plot would make it seem hardly kiddish at all to them too. In fact almost every fan I know of the series is a teenager or an adult and because of said reasons, so I think they would have an easier time than they think, but just because the games and anime are for kids I guess they think their manga market for Pokemon should/has to be too.

Trust me, I've personally introduced this manga to other pokemon fans and manga fans who are teenagers and adults and they weren't interested. Even if there are a ton of Pokemon Adventures fans who happen to bee teens or adults, we aren't exactly in the majority here. Especially when you consider amongst manga fans who are teens/adults, pokemon fans, etc.

I still say there are some more visual and dialogue edits we can worry for besides the whole butt thing. Heck, one thing I'm already worried for is Claire's outfit in volume 10.

It's been awile since I've read the GSC arc, is it the same as the game? If so then you won't have to worry about it.

And as for censoring the butt-touching scene, they might keep that actually since it isn't as 'explicit' as the Pokeboobs thing, and is fairly humorous and mild compared to Pokeboobs. Heck, all Gold says is "Who's this sexy lady?" (and lightly pats her butt). That isn't bad at all. And as for cutting it completely, they would either have to do a butt load of editing on one panel a few panels, or cut the page completely, since that whole scene is a fairly big part of that page. So...I think we might luck out with them leaving it in. Also, another thing worth mentioning is as time goes by many editors tend to let more things 'slip in' and edit less things as time goes on, because they trust a manga more. And unless they start getting complaints, they'll usually let even more in. So we might be good after all.

The point is that Gold did something that could be interpreted as being sexual (heck, even Silver pointed out he was being dirty after he punched him for it) which would warrant a censor or cut.

Um, we technically only have 9 volumes currently done by Viz released, so we don't know if they edited or changed anything in the future volumes yet or not.

I lost count since I currently cannot afford to keep up with this series.

Really? I noticed in at least some of the first 7 volumes they retained some of their first edition jokes. I haven't seen them all though, so if they haven't retained all of them that's definitely a good thing. I'm glad to hear they are being more like Chuang Yi and translating directly. Have they still been using puns or jokes (outside of chapter titles) in volumes 8-onwards, out of curiosity? I am glad the violence has been left untouched so far. And I think it might stay that way, or at least I hope.

I already mentioned that they retained some of their jokes but over all it is not as bad as the 1st edition.

You know people could just read it online for free, to have it just like the Japanese version. XD There are fantastic scanlations out there. I do definitely agree for people to get Viz, Chuang Yi and/or Japan's volumes to help support it though, but I still don't see anything wrong with reading it online as long as you support it somehow still.

That's illegal.

As for the dialogue errors, oh please, Chuang Yi's only truly bad volumes were 8 and 9. Volumes 10-onward are pretty great, and they get less and less errors as they go along.

The point is that they shouldn't have ANY errors and some of those errors are pretty big.

Actually, Viz so far has had occasional typos/mistranslations. They have also called Pokemon by the wrong species name before, had poor grammar/sentence structure a couple times

Examples?

You do realize kawaii serebii (who is an AWESOME person, btw =D) sells one volume of CY Adventures for around $14 (US), don't you? That isn't that expensive at all. 'Course prices vary a bit depending on where you live, but compared to the typical eBay price of $30 or more a volume that isn't bad at all.

When the normal price of manga in general is $10 (Viz version of this manga for about $8)? I still find that expensive.

all I can respond to right now

Last edited:

Darkxninga

When the normal price of manga in general is $10 (Viz version of this manga for about $8)? I still find that expensive.

all I can respond to right now

Okay I'll jump in for a moment just to add something to this. If you think about it, in Sing. things are a bit more expensive. I used a us dollar converter and it showed 8.9 SGD is the equ. of 6.20-6.50 USD or something. The shipping for a book to there is probably 2 more dollars than USD which is 2.38 dollars for one book. So actually its not that bad (hey FMA was ten bucks with TAX!). And I agree with 1dbad, *thumps up for kawii serebii 8D!* -flees out of thread now-

Last edited:

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Okay I'll jump in for a moment just to add something to this. If you think about it, in Sing. things are a bit more expensive. I used a us dollar converter and it showed 8.9 SGD is the equ. of 6.20-6.50 USD or something. The shipping for a book to there is probably 2 more dollars than USD which is 2.38 dollars for one book. So actually its not that bad (hey FMA was ten bucks with TAX!). And I agree with 1dbad, *thumps up for kawii serebii 8D!* -flees out of thread now-
You're joking right? Shipping the books from singapore to the USA would take a lot more then that. Try 10-15 dollars per book.

Darkxninga

You're joking right? Shipping the books from singapore to the USA would take a lot more then that. Try 10-15 dollars per book.

o_o no i wasnt. I guess my US dollars converter was wrong (used google and something else different). that just made me cringe now...

Last edited:

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Well not literally 10 to 15 per book but say 10 or 15 to start with and about 2.50 dollars more for every extra book. Your conversion rates are not wrong but your shipping rates are way off. You can't use domestic shipping inside singapore or in the USA as a way to show the cost of shipping from one country to another.
Either way Viz is just cheaper and has an acceptable amount of "errors".

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
I'll clarify the shipping thing, goddamit

One book is SGD8.90 and weighs about 198.446g. Shipping to Zone 3 via Overseas (which is NOT REGISTERED MAIL):

1st 20g: SGD1.10
Subsequent 10g: SGD0.35 ([198.446g - 20g] x 0.35) = 178.446 x 0.35 = SGD6.23

.: Total weight of book EXCLUDING packaging: SGD7.33
.: Total shipping and book cost EXCLUDING packaging: SGD7.33 + SGD8.90 = SGD16.23

XE Converter: SGD to USD = USD12.62 (current rate)

But just to be a bit safe since I'm not sure exactly how heavy is the packaging, I'll give about 14USD per CY book. And yes, it's more expensive now. PokeSpe used to cost SGD6.50 >.>

blob

Well, from Grimsg, I have it as this!!!
7 books: 41.50 GBP
postage to UK: 34.45 GBP
Total: 75.95 GBP

The book price is good, but almost half of the price goes onto shipping!