• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Challenge of the Samurai (004)

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
Instant five stars for "Cowterpie", hardening contest (insert male part joke here), and Misty in a bikini. Slight deduction of points for Ash not getting Weedle and in turn us not being able to in Yellow. Darn samurai...

And dang, I'm glad we don't have Beedrill in our world. If they can punch a hole through wood, imagine what it can do to you, and that's before you add the whole poison factor. Sucked to be TR at the end.
But when you're a trainer with strong Pokémon like Butterfree, you don't need to worry as much. Way to go.

TheEpicGoomba

This episode was ok. The Metapod harden battle was a pure win. Nice to see Butterfree in this episode. Beedrill is such a strong Pokemon yet ingame it's not so good.

7/10

Bianca~

Almost Never Online.
I watched this yesterday. It was a good episode but not as good as the last three. Team Rocket were in a predicament at the end, weren't they? xD

Beedrill and Butterfree made their first prominent appearances in this episode, although we got glimpses of them in the first three.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
The Pokerap is so great. =D
The random forest Samurai was so weird. D= Jumping up at people with blades. =/ Most useless battle though with two Metapods hardening.... They almost deserved to be killed by Beedrills with that horrible performance. I loved how sinister the Beedrills were with stealing Ash's Metapod cause he wanted a Weedle.
Also, what's up with all these episodes being sad. D= And yay for another evolution. Butterfree =D

Vernikova

Champion
This episode was really good. The Metapod battle was kind of funny but it lost it's touch after a while. I thought that the best part of this episode was when Metapod threw itself (or jumped?) in front of Beedrill's attack to save it and end up evolving. I'm interested on how it would've acted if it stayed as a Metapod though.

Not sure why they made the first 5 episodes sad....it's kind of weird.

And what's also weird, at the ending when Samurai was leaving, Misty said if they battled again, not to use both their Metapods. :/ Did she already forget that Ash's evolved into Butterfree? If so, she has a very bad memory. XD

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Aren't Weedles cute?
The samurai guy himself was a bit of a creeper jumping out of nowhere... And I don't think the Metapod battle was 'win'.... how boring could they get? lol
I also think it was nice to see Beedrills looking so powerful, but a shame that they really aren't in the games. Team Rocket in the end were lolz.

WhyHelloThere

The Metapod battle was boring. At least Ash's evolved so that kind of battle won't happen ever again. :)

Uh, "Cowterpie" ? Seriously? 6/10

Last edited:

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
First episode I didn't like. Ash supposedly learns about finishing what you started and not making up excuses for it, but the Fisrt Character of the Day in the series, Samurai, pulls a fake sword on Ash just when he's about to catch a Weedle, causing it to escape, warn swarm of Beedrill who then attack everyone and seize Ash's Metapod. Ash goes out to rescue Metapod, when Team Rocket shows up to sidetrack him. In the end, he admits that everything was his fault, when in fact, none of it was. The only good this about this episode was Metapod evolving into Butterfree and defeating the Beedrill swarm with Sleep Powder.

3.3/10

Last edited:
The following review contains extreme amounts of EPIC FAILURE. Veiwer discretion is advised.

Cowterpie? WTF is wrong with you, Ash?
Shut up, Samurai........
Crap, Weedle got away.
Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden! Metapod used Harden!
And now everything is Ash's fault? Yeah, whatever.
I'M SORRY METAPOD! WHY DID I MAKE YOU WATCH THIS EPISODE?!
And then Ash accidentally breaks his Metapod.
Oh, by the way, it's evolving now.
"reee reeeeeee"
Don't have another Metapod against Metapod battle? Misty, one of them evolved! They can't have another Metapod vs Metapod battle unless Ash caught another one! Which he didn't! Dumb girl, just stay quiet for the rest of the episode.
Bye Samurai! Don't ever come back!
And Team Rocket gets stung. Why couldn't they have went after Samurai?!
Daa duh duh duh duh da da dadada I want to be the very best like no one ever w--
6/10

Last edited:

Noblebeastx

The Beast Is Unleash
The metapod battle was quite pointless. I must say though I love the friendship that metapod(now butterfree) has with ash already.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
What a nooby battle that was! Metapod must have become harder than steel

Metapod vs. Metapod was an epic match XD

Ash was really irresponsible. It wasn't the only bad thing Ash did to Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree.

- Using Caterie against Pidgeotto, Caterpie almost got eaten.
- Metapod getting taken by Beedrill.
- Trading Butterfree on the SS. Anne.

Aside from that: this is the first episode I saw of Pokemon, and the one that got me into it when I saw it in the late nineties. Therefore, it's one of my favourite episodes. I love it in general, but it has more nostalgia than the other awesome nostalgic Kanto episoes. 10/10. Cowterpie was awesome as well XD

Blessed

A very funny, yet nice episode to see. Ash's cowterpie joke was priceless. I loved when Misty & Pikachu were relaxing as if they were in the beach while benefiting from the Metapid VS Metapod so called "battle".

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

Another enjoyable episode for me.

Ash battles Samurai.

Wonder what Weedle would have been like on Ash's team...

Metapod vs Metapod...darn, such an awesome action pack battle so soon, the writers be spoiling us...:p.

Metapod evolves, and again I love how it does it. Same goes for the Kakuna.

A funny, and emotional episode. A little action in it too.

Samurai was a prick. Ash should have kicked him. Samurai isn't even a name..

Cowterpie was a weird scene. I would have just edited it out of the episode, lol.

7threst

To be honest, I always had mixed feelings with this episode. Yes, it's a cool episode with the evolution of Metapod to Butterfree and the hilarious battle between the two Metapod's, but that what only makes this episode specifically good. I really didn't like the Samurai guy in any way, shape or form. He's more of an pushover than actually someone that could possibly help to make the plot more interesting.

WhyHelloThere

That match was funny, but doesn't Ash realise his Metapod can use moves other than Harden? Oh well. It was great to see Ash at least won a non-TR battle (against Samurai's Pinsir). And Metapod evolved, which is great. Now he's finally usable in battle.

The episode should have ended with Samurai being chased by Beedrill instead. ^^

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
This is the first time Ash is in real peril. Getting those Beedrill ticked off was not a wise move. But it was great to see Metapod evolve quickly.

Unlike the other episode, I can't say this was overrated, because it actually had some negative comments.

And rightfully so, the episode wasn't all that great. Basically for the reasons Demonsead pointed out.

This gets a 1.