• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Challenge of the Samurai (004)

keepitsimple

site of lies
So many puns in this episode. ._.,

This episode is the debut of Ash's Butterfree which was a cool Pokemon; I wished he could have stayed longer but I guess a Butterfree would stop being useful after a while and maybe the writers thought it was taking up space in the roster.

Bananarama

The light is coming
This is a mostly meh episode, in my opinion. It was funny how the two Metapod just used Harden on each other, but I didn't really care for the "cowterpie" joke, and a few other things.

Also, I find it extremely hypocritical that Ash promises to never leave his friends, even though he has done just that to at least 8 of his companions over the years.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The only bit I liked the most was Metapod vs Metapod, which both kept on using Harden and resulted in a tie. Got excited when Ash's Metapod evolved into Butterfree.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
This is a mostly meh episode, in my opinion. It was funny how the two Metapod just used Harden on each other, but I didn't really care for the "cowterpie" joke, and a few other things.

The cowterpie thing was a pun which made more sense in the Japanese version cuz Misty said mushi (bug) and Ash mistakes that for ushi (cow). :3

Bananarama

The light is coming
The cowterpie thing was a pun which made more sense in the Japanese version cuz Misty said mushi (bug) and Ash mistakes that for ushi (cow). :3

Oh yeah, I recall reading about that. :)

Unfortunately, it wasn't translated too well, in my opinion. To be fair, they didn't really have that many other options.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Unfortunately, it wasn't translated too well, in my opinion. To be fair, they didn't really have that many other options.

Maybe it was because at that time, the writers may not have expected the anime to air outside Japan yet. Which might have caused some language barriers when the dub translators translated it to English but I thought the 'cowterpie' thing was really irrelevant because Ash's Caterpie had already evolved and also about the pun, 'bug' doesn't even close to 'cow'.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Oh yeah, I recall reading about that. :)

Yea and I think 4kids should've prolly skipped that scene cuz it wouldn't have made much sense no matter what they tried to do.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Plus, the Samurai at the end admits that compared to Ash here, in terms of character, he was the novice after all. Also, Samurai was interesting to me, I liked how seriously he took himself.

I think he was too formal and serious for a kid, tho I guess that was because of his samurai theme or something ha ha. :3

Gillachu

Banned
Lmao so Ash's Metapod versus Samurai's Metapod ended up as a stalemate. I liked how Metapod evolved by breaking through his cocoon as a Butterfree since that looked awesome at least.

JudySpell

Banned
I thought that the Kakuna evolution scenes were awesome back when I was a kid. The Weedle were harmless but those Beedrill were like serial killers. 8/10

My favorite scene was when Ash fought Samurai and how Metapod vs. Metapod went nowhere. Also Team Rocket's cocoons were ridiculous. :)

Leonhart

Imagineer
It was nice to see more of the Tokiwa Forest, and it seemed like Kasumi's insect phobia was a recurrent theme. Samurai lacked personality, but I liked his stalemate match with Satoshi. Transel's evolution happened much faster than anticipated, but I thought Butterfree saving the day was a great climax.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
This was a good episode, but I really didn't like that Samurai kid. Like, he's the one that made Metapod get captured, just like Ash said, if he never had stopped Ash from catching Weedle, none of that would have happened. :x

Shayuin

Banned
Strange how those wild Kakuna could see in their cocoons. And I wonder why Beedrill abducted Ash's Metapod in the first place.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Strange how those wild Kakuna could see in their cocoons. And I wonder why Beedrill abducted Ash's Metapod in the first place.

I had assumed that the swarm of Spear in the woods might've mistook Satoshi's Transel for a Cocoon. Although they might've also wanted Transel for food.

Samurai was a Bug Catcher right? Though I wonder why he had a Metapod considering how it was useless in battle, as shown when he faced Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Samurai was a Bug Catcher right? Though I wonder why he had a Metapod considering how it was useless in battle, as shown when he faced Ash.

You have to remember that this was the beginning of the anime series, so the writers didn't have much variety to choose from when it came to Bug-types that could be showcased. Samurai owning a Transel was at least reasonable.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Samurai was the show's first ever COTD, but he seemed unneeded. Seeing so many Bug type debuts in a single episode felt overwhelming too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Samurai was the show's first ever COTD, but he seemed unneeded. Seeing so many Bug type debuts in a single episode felt overwhelming too.

We only saw a few Bug-types debut here, however. And the only one that seemed unnecessary to me was Kailos, because it hardly did anything.