• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Challenging A Towering Figure! (609)

Machete

I loved how Rhyperior withstood the first Energy Ball as if it was crap. And damn, that Rhyperior is goddamn fast. Palmer's Dragonite must be like a F-22. That shows how powerful Palmer really is.

The battle was exactly as I expected. Palmer didn't want to OHKO Grotle. It was pretty obvious that Grotle's power up (Overgrow) had been an accident (ironically, caused by Rhyperior's Megahorn). Agains, as expected, Grotle's new attack's just mega-Rock Climb. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Grotle wasn't mega uber, it just attacked Rhyperior when it was recharging Rock Wrecker. And yeah, Rhyperior OHKO'd Grotle.

I liked the fact that Grotle is as uber as it looked in the preview, it just attacked at the right time, and the fact that Palmer is as strong as he should be. The battle was short, but Rhyperior has redeemed the Rhydon family. So, the Grotle vs Rhyperior was awesome (in fact, nobody will ever say that Grotle is weak again), but the tournament was disappointing. Man, not even a whole fight.

shac

What was the first attack that Rhyperior used, where its rock plates glowed red and he suddenly disappeared in sudden burst of speed, dodging R-leaf in the process? Was it agility?

Just watched the battle in youtube. Awesome battle. Ash should have used razor leaf in the very last moment. That might have turned the table. Anyway, it was cool to watch grotle getting the spotlight.

Do you think Ash would use this strategy in future?

Dawn said she would use it in her contest. I can't see how any of her pokemon could do that. Piplup devouring his whirlpool? Mamoswine his ice-shard/ancient-power? That would be weird. I mean energy-ball is a ball of energy, and so mighjt be sucked into, but I dunno if it should work similarly for other attacks.

Machete

Just watched the battle in youtube. Awesome battle. Ash should have used razor leaf in the very last moment. That might have turned the table. Anyway, it was cool to watch grotle getting the spotlight.

Strategy? It just activated Overgrow.

And no, I don't think that Razor Leaf would've saved Grotle. Rhyperior OHKO'd it. Despite the power up, Rhyperior was still far superior. Grotle attacked when Rhyperior was recharging (it was tired before Grotle attacked him), but when Rhyperior used its tail, the battle was over.

Sand Alchemist

What was the first attack that Rhyperior used, where its rock plates glowed red and he suddenly disappeared in sudden burst of speed, dodging R-leaf in the process? Was it agility?

Rock Polish. It makes the sme effect as Agility.

Last edited:

JD

Dawn said she would use it in her contest. I can't see how any of her pokemon could do that. Piplup devouring his whirlpool? Mamoswine his ice-shard/ancient-power? That would be weird. I mean energy-ball is a ball of energy, and so mighjt be sucked into, but I dunno if it should work similarly for other attacks.

The move rhyperior used when the stone plates glowed red was rock polish rock cut was the move rhyperior used I believe

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*

My only guess is Mamoswine ingesting Ancientpower or Hidden Power...kinda fits that it would.

shac

Strategy? It just activated Overgrow.

And no, I don't think that Razor Leaf would've saved Grotle. Rhyperior OHKO'd it. Despite the power up, Rhyperior was still far superior. Grotle attacked when Rhyperior was recharging (it was tired before Grotle attacked him), but when Rhyperior used its tail, the battle was over.

Yes, it activated OG, but only because it consumed the Energy ball. Was it not the case? And I don't understand Japanese, so i can't tell but was it confirmed that overgrow was activated? Who mentioned that - Brock?

What I meant about the battle is, Rhyperior was on the very edge of that hillock, wasn't he? If grotle had used r-leaf at that moment, then Rhyperior might have fallen off the peak. That might have hurt bad!

@Sand Alchemist, Mudkip43, thanx for clearing it up!

Last edited:

Machete

Yes, it activated OG, but only because it consumed the Energy ball. Was it not the case?
Yeah, but it wasn't intentional. Rhyperior attacked the Energy Ball when Grotle was still creating it, it swallowed it and it activated Overgrow. I don't think that just saying "Grotle, swallow your Energy Ball!" will activate it.

What I meant about the battle is, Rhyperior was on the very edge of that hillock, wasn't he? If grotle had used r-leaf at that moment, then Rhyperior might have fallen off the peak. That might have hrt bad!
I don't think so. I mean, sure, Grotle was much stronger, but Rhyperior was far better. Grotle attacked when it was creating Rock Wrecker, and later when it was recharging. Rhyperior needed to recharge, but when it was back at full power, it stopped Grotle and OHKO'd it. Even if Grotle had used Razor Leaf, it wouldn't have defeated Rhyperior. And even if Rhyperior had fallen, I don't think that that would've been enough.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
One thing that stood out to me, was Ash remembering his full battle with Paul. So it seems to me that the writers do have the full battle in mind, and having Ash find his own non DEM strategy to beat Paul.

I think your reading abit too much into that, all they showed was the end of the fight, and Ash didn't seem very thoughtful or enthusiastic when it ended, so i doubt it means anything.

Well Grotle now has Energy Ball power up, now basically 5 more Pokemon to go or in other words (5 more episodes).

Some people are under the assumption it was infact Overgrow, triggered by the combination of both Rhyperior's megahorn and Grotle's energy ball backlash causing enough damage to kick it in.

Of course until someone who can translate japanese explains detail to detail what happened in the battle, one can not be certain of what happened.

I have to say though it is rather ironic that Grotle's rock climb, a normal move seemed to do more damage to Rhyperior than it's grass attacks did, thought that was rather funny but at the same time seriously they made Solid Rock abit overpowering, since Grotle's grass attacks should've done some damage, even if it was just a little bit.

shac

I don't think so. I mean, sure, Grotle was much stronger, but Rhyperior was far better. Grotle attacked when it was creating Rock Wrecker, and later when it was recharging. Rhyperior needed to recharge, but when it was back at full power, it stopped Grotle and OHKO'd it. Even if Grotle had used Razor Leaf, it wouldn't have defeated Rhyperior. And even if Rhyperior had fallen, I don't think that that would've been enough.

I never said that Grotle could have defeated Rhyperior. At this stage that would have seemed really DEM. No, what I meant is Grotle could have done serious damage if he had used razor leaf to push Rhyperior out of the cliff. After all, game-wise Rhyperior's sp. defense is much lower than his defense stat. So obviously r-leaf should have done more damage than r-climb. But then again, it's the anime we are talking about.

Linkaro

You know, maybe from now on whoever faces Ash should just use a super move on Grotle's head. Doing that seem to OHKO him....twice this season.

uber gon

Accept Change

pokemonmasterhustler

Pokemon Master
wow epic battle, well atleast that's what it sounds like can't wait for the dub, or atleast finding a sub

dman_dustin

I think your reading abit too much into that, all they showed was the end of the fight, and Ash didn't seem very thoughtful or enthusiastic when it ended, so i doubt it means anything.
He lost what did you expect? Besides Ash wouldn't remember his full battle with Paul if it didn't have meaning to it. The writers just don't throw "important" details like that willy nilly. If there was no indication of a tactic here, then there would be no point in bringing up his loss to Paul. And we sure as hell don't need to be reminded of his full battle with Paul every time he loses.

Some people are under the assumption it was infact Overgrow, triggered by the combination of both Rhyperior's megahorn and Grotle's energy ball backlash causing enough damage to kick it in.

Of course until someone who can translate japanese explains detail to detail what happened in the battle, one can not be certain of what happened.

I have to say though it is rather ironic that Grotle's rock climb, a normal move seemed to do more damage to Rhyperior than it's grass attacks did, thought that was rather funny but at the same time seriously they made Solid Rock abit overpowering, since Grotle's grass attacks should've done some damage, even if it was just a little bit.

Strangely in the specific case I disagree with the Overgrow talk, I mean I admit the preview did make it seem like over grow, but then my idea of Energy ball having a secondary anime logic effect seems to hold true.

For one thing you don't even hear "Overgrow" being mentioned, I listened for the Japanese name for overgrow but what did I hear instead.?"Energy Ball Powaa Upa" Okay joking about the improper grammar but yes all I heard was "Power Up" and "Energy Ball" but I didn't hear "Shinryoku" which is Overgrow in Japanese. It's possible it was mentioned, but again Energy ball and Power up was the only recognizable thing I could hear. But then again the Japanese isn't known to have clear enunciated words (music being too damn loud for one thing sometimes). I can never figure out what Meowth is saying, because of his accent (unless it obvious like "Hikozaru" and stuff like that).

So I think it was just an anime logic tactic that isn't in the games because of obvious technical limits.

Last edited:

Torpoleon

I never said that Grotle could have defeated Rhyperior. At this stage that would have seemed really DEM. No, what I meant is Grotle could have done serious damage if he had used razor leaf to push Rhyperior out of the cliff. After all, game-wise Rhyperior's sp. defense is much lower than his defense stat. So obviously r-leaf should have done more damage than r-climb. But then again, it's the anime we are talking about.
In Platinum,(and probably the other Pokemon games) Razor Leaf is a Physical based move. I don't know how, but that is what it says in Pokemon Platinum. And Ashs Grotle's moves (except Energy Ball probably) where ll Physical based and you said that Rhyperior's Defense stat is higher than its Special Defense stat.

Machete

Energy Ball did nothing at all against Rhyperior, being a Special Attack AND having a higher base power. Yeah, Grotle was powered up thanks to Overgrow (or whatever-the-hell-that-was), but I don't think that that would've been enough. Rhyperior's Defense stat is huge.

thunderblade12

Just because:

- A show off Dragonite? I thought they were majestic and serious. Palmer's team so far: Dragonite, Milotic (Movie 12), Rhyperior
- Dawn pushes Ash. She's obviously in love with him -writes shipping fanfic-
- Dawn wants to battle Palmer? Since when does she care about battles?
- As disturbing as it sounds, I would have smiled if Brock stabbed Croagunk in the butt with a fork and dragged him off while he was watching that female Croagunk
- Glameow and Umbreon appeal..ooh pretty..yeah..who cares
- Johanna and Palmer talk..too...much
- Was Palmer eating an Octillery? Check out the sign on Team Rocket's food stand
- Barry: DADDY?! LMAO..never gets old
- Which pokemon is your mascot, Brock? Croagunk or Happiny? Pick one to follow you and promote HGSS' stalker-poke feature you can't keep switching between both!
- The tournement: What tournement?
- Barry makes it to the final round but loses to Ash. Trivia: Pikachu beats two of the water starters strongest forms in this "tournement", Feraligatr and Empoleon
- Dawn's mad..those poor Octillery..
- OMG even Piplup's eating a member of it's own egg group (I think..)
- So how exactly did Dawn and Brock lose? Did Ash beat them? Barry?
- Is the old, fat, recurring Twinleaf resident really necessary?
- Energy ball doesn't effect Rhyperior at all due to solid rock. It does 4X damage without solid rock, shouldn't it at least do 2X with it? Games =/= anime. Even further proof
- Barry is proud of his "DADDY?!"
- Rock polish makes Rhyperior's armor glow red and turns it into Sonic the Hedgehog
- Rhyperior uses sand tomb(or storm) and hits Grotle with a rock wrecker. Grotle recovers with synthesis and escapes the vortex with razor leaf.
- Rhyperior gets horny and makes Grotle eat it. Oh I wish I was kidding
- Grotle goes Super Saiyan and what just happened is explained. Dawn says she's going to use this strategy..what what's she going to do? Have Piplup swallow whirlpool? Mamoswine swallow ice shard?
- Does any one else love Grotle's epic, thick line moments? RAWWWWRRRRRRR
- Grotle's new strength creates hills for him to use rock climb on and also sends the 1000+ Lbs Rhyperior flying after being struck by said rock climb.
- Grotle becomes a powerhouse, you can't deny that. He has the strongest Frontier Brain's Rhyperior gasping for it's breath and it drops to it's *** knees at the end of the battle. I doubt this is the last we'll see of energy ball eating given they didn't forget counter sheild or that spinning dodge technique.
- A final rock wrecker smashed over Grotle's head finally finished it off. This shows getting rather violent these days
- Ash gets the trophy any way
- Still killing those Octillery eh Barry?
- Barry karaoke
- Good news to every one who was hoping Monferno would appear. It does in a flashback to Ash vs Paul
- Heading to Surien and the Sunnyshore. KTHXBI

Last edited: