• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Challenging A Towering Figure! (609)

Torpoleon

Palmer does not have miltank! Stop dang asking! He never had one!

talala

maybe the snorlax in the "slideshow" of battles before ash vs. palmer was barry's? if you look at the matchups before ash vs. barry you won't see any staraptors/roserades/empoleons/heracrosses, meaning one of the other pokemon has to be barry's, my guess is its his snorlax :eek: (further proof is that barry's face appears on the left side of the top of the tourny bracket against ash, meaning his battle was one of the first half, and snorlax was in the first "clip" of the "slideshow")

i like how everyone ignored this on the last page... it shows an interesting point

GaZsTiC

Alternating
i know he didnt. i was asking if ash used his (i got confused between that and tauros)

Well he didn't. It was Ash's Grotle against Palmer's Rhyperior, with Rhyperior winning.

KantoChamp46

ash_forever... wow. You're obviously not worth taking seriously with the outrageous obsession with Cynthia (Her Majesty? Seriously?) but still. This needs addressed, because in general many anime fans (of any anime, not just pokemon) have this obsession with the stock "cool, enigmatic" types. But whoever else said it is right: Palmer is simply flashy. He's not arrogant, and he never once bragged about who he was. He was putting on a show. He was getting the people excited. Ever watched a football game? See how much people cheer? Yeah. Entertainment is good for the soul. Working up some good ol' fashioned cheering is something I think more famous trainers need to do more often.

Also, how do you know Cynthia isn't arrogant or prideful? Think of Paul - he's quiet and contained most of the time, and yet we know that it's because he's condescending towards everyone else. Perhaps Cynthia keeps herself contained and doesn't go all out and brag and what not because she simply thinks that she is better than everyone else and so there is no point in bragging - she thinks she's better and so she looks down on everyone else. Am I saying this is what I think about Cynthia? No. I'm simply offering another point of view. It could happen.

Personally, I love more vibrant trainers like Palmer. He's more interesting to watch, and he is NOT arrogant. He didn't brag! He may be scatter-brained, but so what? It makes him more human, more enjoyable. He has personality. He knows how to have fun. I can identify with him a lot better than I can with Cynthia.

Just my thoughts.

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
ash_forever... wow. You're obviously not worth taking seriously with the outrageous obsession with Cynthia (Her Majesty? Seriously?) but still. This needs addressed, because in general many anime fans (of any anime, not just pokemon) have this obsession with the stock "cool, enigmatic" types. But whoever else said it is right: Palmer is simply flashy. He's not arrogant, and he never once bragged about who he was. He was putting on a show. He was getting the people excited. Ever watched a football game? See how much people cheer? Yeah. Entertainment is good for the soul. Working up some good ol' fashioned cheering is something I think more famous trainers need to do more often.

Also, how do you know Cynthia isn't arrogant or prideful? Think of Paul - he's quiet and contained most of the time, and yet we know that it's because he's condescending towards everyone else. Perhaps Cynthia keeps herself contained and doesn't go all out and brag and what not because she simply thinks that she is better than everyone else and so there is no point in bragging - she thinks she's better and so she looks down on everyone else. Am I saying this is what I think about Cynthia? No. I'm simply offering another point of view. It could happen.

Personally, I love more vibrant trainers like Palmer. He's more interesting to watch, and he is NOT arrogant. He didn't brag! He may be scatter-brained, but so what? It makes him more human, more enjoyable. He has personality. He knows how to have fun. I can identify with him a lot better than I can with Cynthia.

Just my thoughts.
I agree completley. The show would so boring if all we had were the cliche cool and calm trainers. Exciting trainers are needed for balance. Palmer and Cynthia are both great characters and powerful trainers.

Last edited:

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
That's how I took it...a hint at the type of Pokemon used at that gym. People forget they already went the "depressed gym leader" route with Maylene. I don't think they'll use it again with Volkner.

Maylene was depressed because she was unsure of herself and her status. In games Volkner was depressed because there wasn't any worthy challanges and battles for a long time. They're not the same.

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
I thought it was funny how towards the end of the episode Barry was talking about how having a skilled parent makes a child want to strive for greatness and how Dawn nodded and agreed. Then they got a close up on Ash and for a second I didn't know what he was going to say. I kind of expected something like "I wish I could say I knew what you guys were talking about..." but instead it seemed liked he just blocked out their conversation and decided to think about Paul. No surprise, it's not like Ash could talk about Delia inspiring him with her skills or anything. Well, unless cleaning was a goal Ash decided to strive for.

Rebeccag

lol cleaning. Yeah I thought that as well when that convo was on even Brock in a way could understand because Flint was a gym leader at one point even though Brock took over and I felt kinda sorry for Ash then, I liked Palmer though I hope we see him again if Ash goes for the Sinnoh Battle frontier and I also liked his battle with Ash as well

~Upsidedown 403~

I feel like Ash could've won the battle if he used a grass type move against Rhyperior after he swallowed the Energy Ball...Was it confirmed that Grotle activated overgrow? OR was it just a boost in power? In the dub, everyone was confused at to what was going on...But if he activated Overgrow, I wish he would've used either razor leaf or energy ball....Or he would've won...Instead of using rock climb you know...But the battle and the episode was pretty good...

Brumrha

Banned
It's been over a week since I've seen this, but my memory of this ep is still sharp, so I can still make a summary about this... I hope...

- To conclude the Twinleaf Festival, Joannah is going to hold a trainer tournament in which the winner of the tournament will get the privilege to fight against Palmer, a Sinnoh Frontier Brain.
- There's just one "tiny" little problem:
Where the %&$@ is Palmer?!!
- Actually, he's at the Octillery Snack Stand, buying & chomping on them like they've gone out of style. It's good news for TR, on the other hand...
- So... Ash & co haul themselves over to him to remind him of this event. Some Frontier Brain Palmer is...
- Now the tournament can begin, with some flashy demonstrations from Joannah's Pokemon.
- & we fast forward over to Ash's imminent victory over everyone else.
- Okay, now we can get to the meat of this: The fight between Ash & Palmer!
- Grotle VS Rhyperior! Fight to the death, dammit!!
- Grotle begins this fight with an Energy Ball. It connected, but it did virtually nothing. That's because Rhyperior has to have Solid Rock as his ability!
- To add insult to injury, Rhyperior also has Rock Polish, which makes him faster than a Ninjask on Meth.
- With all of that said, Grotle is on the ropes, even though Rhyperior has Rock Wrecker, which is an SPC.
- Still, even though he's in a middle of a sandstorm, Grotle manages to recover with Synthesis.
- Rhyperior charges straight at him with a Megahorn. Grotle preps another Energy Ball...
- ...which gets knocked back into his mouth, with rather drastic results.
- What actually happened is that Grotle powers up, in a "gouge your eyes" fest-worthy spectacle.
- Grotle manages to push against Rhyperior in full force with Rock Climb. Rhyperior is struggling to keep him at bay.
- Rhyperior then unleashes another Rock Wrecker, which he brings down onto Grotle, thus squashing his skull like a wet paper bag.
- In spite of this defeat, Ash still gets the trophy for winning against all the other amateurs.
- They now plan on heading to Sunyshore, to fight against Volkner. Barry also has that exact plan, & thus vamooses ahead of the rest of the gang.
- Things are also looking up for TR as well, as the manager is pleased with their performance, & thus has given them a hefty bonus along with their regular paychecks. TR is most likely going, "Yay!! We actually have money in our bank accounts!"

Man, the aftermath of the war in this was one of the biggest upsets in the history of the anime. Still, I've come up with an alternate strategy against him. What Ash could've done is utilized Monferno & his Dig to weaken the area that Rhyperior is standing on, & by the time he finds out what's going on he'll most likely fall into the pit that Monferno has created. If that doesn't kill him, he'll be trapped inside the pit, seeing as that Rhyperior most likely weighs a ton or so.

See, people? I can still remember key parts of this episode even after a week's time. Now, onwards to the next one!

Dragenite's voice acting is stupid.
And Rhypherior sounded like Bowser.

I say this once again: Barry is Annoying!
Then, Palmers great!

Grotle swallowed an Energy Ball makes me worried.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I think it was a great episode.Well,We know now that the new BF is in Sinnoh.:[ Kinda disappointing.I wanted to see the new BF in Johto.

9.5/10

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Dragenite's voice acting is stupid.
And Rhypherior sounded like Bowser.

I say this once again: Barry is Annoying!
Then, Palmers great!

Grotle swallowed an Energy Ball makes me worried.

Well I think Rhyperior's voice was fine, Dragonite's too.

Grotle didn't use right his Energy Ball, it was very dangerous, but at least it learned an ability as a result of it.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I thought this episode was good and I enjoyed Palmer and Ash's battle. Ash was smart to use Grotle against Rhyperior but in the end it was too much for Grotle to handle. Good episode.