• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Championing a Research Battle! (921)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I like how the group is never able to piece together the ones posing a threat would be the weirdos attacking a creature that heavily resembled the Zygarde they saw on the screen.

Dear god, was Ash trying to murder Gardevoir? No, I don't mean the attacks. I meant the sound of his voice...which also sounded kind of dirty. "Stronger...STRONGER...STRONGER!!!"

The water veil is gone! Nobody comments on it. Eh.

Savor the moment, people. This is as close as Ash will ever get in beating a Champion...in...a one-on-one.

Holy157

Alright Dub, you ****ed up. You didn't even use Stand Tall!, which I find to be an enjoyable theme. You used it in Ash vs Alain so why not here? The battle is still good, just not as good since it lacks any kind of good music. Again, they've used Stand Tall! in place of XYZ before, but not for this battle?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
After all the debate over how close Ash came to winning I was a bit surprised by how undefined the episode made their power levels appear, basically leaving it up to the viewer to decide.

On the one hand we had Diantha think to herself Gardevoir would lose if it got hit directly, yet that proceeded to happen twice and Gardevoir was still up so I'm not sure why she thought that. Then we proceed to have Gardevoir break something TR claimed could hold a mega evolution, making one think that if Diantha had ordered "full power" during the match then Greninja would have also been blown away.

And yeah, while I liked the episode it was a bit jarring that the only response the group had to Diantha asking about anything strange going on was to mention Ash Greninja. I mean sure that is notable, but so is the unidentified pokemon in the bag and that team of villains you have fought repeatedly that are after it. Its like offscreen the group decided that if Squishy hides from someone then they will not talk about it.

Really loved the bit of Diantha characterization here though, she's responsible (wants to protect Kalos) but also quite playful (jumps out of a helicopter for fun rather than waiting for it to land).

Garbodor.

Sad to say I found the dubbed episode highly disappointing. They did not capture the "epicness" of the battle properly. Bad use of music during the battle and the person voicing Ash needed to do a better job during the transformation processes etc. Oh well...

TheMarvelMC

Kalos League Victor!
The dub really messed up the battle. While there was a few good lines ("Stronger and stronger! Let's go!), everything else from the music to the VA's to the dialogue was just painful to watch. I'd still say Ash almost genuinely beat her, but whatever.

Epicocity

The dub really messed up the battle. While there was a few good lines ("Stronger and stronger! Let's go!), everything else from the music to the VA's to the dialogue was just painful to watch. I'd still say Ash almost genuinely beat her, but whatever.

I feel like the VAs would have sounded a lot better if the music wasn't so damn awful. Music sets a tone for a scene, after all. I mean, say a character gave some epic pained scream while a jaunty Irish tune played, you'd find it awful, right? Cringeworthy, at least. So, with the awesome music removed, the quality of the acting suffered alongside it. Had the music been good, the VAs probably would have sounded better.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I cringed so hard watching this. I know the dub version usually messes up some part of an episode, but this is beyond messing up. This is an absolute disaster.

TheMarvelMC

Kalos League Victor!
I feel like the VAs would have sounded a lot better if the music wasn't so damn awful. Music sets a tone for a scene, after all. I mean, say a character gave some epic pained scream while a jaunty Irish tune played, you'd find it awful, right? Cringeworthy, at least. So, with the awesome music removed, the quality of the acting suffered alongside it. Had the music been good, the VAs probably would have sounded better.

It's universally agreed that the dub does not have good music 99% of the time. I do agree, however, that the music is the biggest offender for why the dub gets so much hate, and this episode is a prime example.

Pokemonfan358

this dub episode was great. the music was good. the voice acting was good. the diliolge was good. respect eeyones opians with this dubbed episode but i still dissagree with them. hope you guys are not mad at me saying this.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Diantha probably wasn't doing her best because Ash's voice felt like rubbing styrofoam together, making the perfect distraction. The dub destroyed the darn episode.

Epicocity

It's universally agreed that the dub does not have good music 99% of the time. I do agree, however, that the music is the biggest offender for why the dub gets so much hate, and this episode is a prime example.

Oh, no disagreements here. I'm saying, like, for filler episodes where music is background noise typically, the VAs sound pretty darn good. But when you screw up a big moment with lackluster music, the voices suffer in comparison right along with it, whereas they'd probably sound fantastic if the music was on point. Heck, even Stand Tall would have worked better than what they did with this.

Part of me died, simply because any hope of them doing the Sawyer finale well died with it.

Epicocity

I'm just waiting to see how badly the music ruins the Finals
;(

We still have Snowbelle to get through. I'm fully expecting them to play some kind stupid music piece over the part with Ash in the forest at the end of XYZ 27, completely ruining the scene...

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
We still have Snowbelle to get through. I'm fully expecting them to play some kind stupid music piece over the part with Ash in the forest at the end of XYZ 27, completely ruining the scene...

Oh god don't even get me thinking about how they can mess that up... they will probably exceed my imagination somehow.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
At least they didn't make Ash sound like Sonic this week.

Ehh... you really couldn't have played Stand Tall, dub? I would've knocked it in as soon as Gardevoir went Mega, and it would've worked somewhat well. I think the music kind of picked up at this point anyway but it was still pretty bleh.

On something that was said earlier, I do personally think that when the dub does filler episodes they aren't that bad (granted I didn't watch last week's episode because I reeeeeally didn't like it). It's just when they get into episodes and situations like this it just comes out as underwhelming, or at least not important. It's just another battle, rather than HOLY **** IT'S GOING DOWN. Like the veil breaking didn't have any impact behind it...

Pokegirl0102

This is why i miss 4kids, say what you will about them but they had some of the best/iconic music that surpassed yes even the Japanese Dub along with the voice actors, i was shocked when i learned they did all of their themes from scratch

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
This is why i miss 4kids, say what you will about them but they had some of the best/iconic music that surpassed yes even the Japanese Dub along with the voice actors, i was shocked when i learned they did all of their themes from scratch

I agree 100%. If it were possible for them to get back to the dubbing it, it will make my whole year!

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I agree 100%. If it were possible for them to get back to the dubbing it, it will make my whole year!

They destroyed One Piece and removed extremely vital pieces of the story. While their themes may have been nice to listen to, the incredibly idiotic censors they pulled all over the place detracted from the quality.

As for what they did to Pokemon... Taken from tvtropes:

- One of the most blatant examples was Episode 34 of the first season, where in the Japanese version Tommy stares at Misty's breasts and asks if he can suck on them,note but in the English version the zoom-in on her chest is removed and he asks if they're people or Pokémon. He still gets slapped.
- In another season 1 episode, Ash's Haunter taunts an Officer Jenny by making goofy faces. In the Japanese version, it pulls out a "Bang!" Flag Gun as well.
- On another note regarding Pokémon, the title is sometimes accused of being the product of bowdlerization due to the original Japanese title translating to Pocket Monsters. In reality, the localized title was a portmanteau to dodge legal issues with an existing toy line called Monster In My Pocket. The term "Pokémon" is used all the time in the Japanese originals, though; it wasn't invented by the translators. "Pocket Monsters" rarely ever appears other than in the titles of the anime series and some of the games. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl acknowledge that "Pokémon" is short for "Pocket Monster" in the English version. A minor NPC mentions that the "Pokétch" is short for "Pokémon Watch", which ultimately makes it short for "Pocket Monster Watch".
- 4Kids infamously went and changed the Aesop of the Pokémon: The First Movie as well as the character of Mewtwo. The original Japanese version was about Mewtwo trying to find his purpose of life and the Aesop was that Clones Are People Too. 4Kids changed the Aesop to the less complicated "fighting is bad" (Now remember, this is a series that makes its money off of things fighting) and made Mewtwo into a straight-up villain planning to destroy the world because evidently someone thought they couldn't have moral ambiguity in a kids' movie.
- Multiple casual references to God, heaven, and hell were censored in the English dub or replaced with euphemisms.
- The infamous episode "Love, Petalburg Style" episode had its plot censored in the English dub. In Japan the episode is about the characters falsely believing May's dad Norman is having an affair with a Nurse Joy. In the dub it's changed to people thinking Norman and his wife are fighting.
- Two scenes of Misty slapping Ash were removed in the dub. In the first episode you can still see Ash's cheek being red afterwards despite the edit.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure they'd make every stereotype in the anime look even more stereotypical, censor all the ninjas for thieves, make Clemont follow Ash because he likes him, and make up stuff like how Serena's dad used to be the champion and traveled abroad.

Last edited: