• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Champions' Pride! Lance VS Diantha!! (1205)

Kage-Pikachu

Lance's Dragonite reminded me a ton of Iris' Dragonite. Both are super angry and take super effective hits in a very aggressive matter. I do like that all three Dragonites have different movesets.

Lance's has Twister, Hyper Beam, Body Press, and an unknown Ice-type move.

Iris' last time we saw it had Flamethrower, Dragon Rush, Thunder Punch, and Ice Beam.

Ash's has Draco Meteor, Dragon Claw, Dragon Dance, and Hurricane.
i also am glad for that, i never had a problem with so many Dragonite in the Master's 8. it's a decent pokemon hehe.

Does anyone think Leon's Charizard will lose against Diantha (i am sure Leon will still win of course) and a different one of his Pokemon will finish Diantha off?

jjliang

Considering the last time we heard Diantha's Gardevoir's voice in the dub, do you think Horace's Gardevoir's voice in the dub will probably sound like Melodi's from DP020? (one of them sounds more like how a Gardevoir should)

Observer

Mostly watching
I saw the episode and still thought it was a good battle. I will say this though, Lance could have won the match if his Pokemon knew Rage.

Not just any type of rage but a specific kind, the kind that is located in the Western most County of Long Island New York.... also known as BROOKLYN!

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Finally watched it. Lance, you moron. You're Champ of two regions and your brilliant strategy against a Rock/Ice-type is to start with the not effective Hyper Beam? If you didn't leave Dragonite open for no reason (twice, even), ya might've stood a chance.

KukuiFanatic501

I'm so freaking hyped to see Ritchie and the Jimmy, Marina and Vincent again man. I wish the latter wasn't spoiled coz it's the LAST thing anyone would have predicted and their cameo was just freaking amazing.
I really liked the writing this episode, great battle strategy and great interactions/continuity, Jessie remembering her XY Gourgeist and cheering for it and being mad at Diantha for letting it faint was top tier continuity lol
Love how we straight up get to Iris vs Cynthia and that Ash gets to interact with Lance a bit

However, atleast it was better than Ash vs Drasna and Leon vs Alain, so that's something!
None of the losses or victories felt cheap

Also, it's just something else seeing a Dynamax Dragonite man, brings back early OS vibes in the best way possible, full circle
My thoughts on this pretty much lol.

Easily far superior to Alain vs Leon, and getting to see Ritchie and the Chronicles characters cameo was definitely a huge surprise I appreciated strongly! Makes me hopeful that we’ll get other great cameos too. Hopefully Cilan, Kenny, Zoey, Ursala and Nando during Iris’s match with Cynthia and maybe May, Max, Drew, Harley and other characters during Ash vs Steven.

Diantha winning was sorta predictable but the execution was done great. Lance definitely put up a great fight before going down.

Speed22

1 - TPC/OLM is spiteful of Greninja because they wanted their favorite shillmon Lucario to be #1 instead of second best.
2 - Tomiyasu is spiteful of Yajima's work.
3 - Sheer incompetence and negligence to the point that they shouldn't be allowed in any professional workspace.

Take your pick.
It's all three. And everyone involved will get a raise for it, instead of being blacklisted from the entertainment industry, because that's how it is.
1: Stupid, anyone with a basic knowledge of marketing would dictate you CAPITALIZE on a popular thing, not try and snuff it out. You make more money, Greninja fans are happy everyone is satisfied. And no Greninja is not gonna canabalize Lucario’s popularity just like how Lucario didn’t eat up Charizard’s focus

2: This is one I believe the least but would be the absolute worst outcome. If Tomiysu didn’t want to acknowledge Yajima’s work then he could’ve just….not acknowledge it and leave it in the past instead of actively trying to erase it and put a target on his back which makes him look worse

3: Sounds about right, they sure know how to make things worse for themselves for no reason
1. Try telling that to the Japanese execs, they hate doing anything new. Ash himself being a prime example of this.

2. He blew the animation budget on Lillie's episode, and gave Matsui the episode. He already looks pretty bad. Conspiracy hat time: If Tomiyasu being salty over Yajima is true, then this implies that the XY to SM transition, was the result of a coup to remove Yajima by certain staff members that are higher up the chain.

3. Again, they hate going against tradition. But yes, only Sega is more incompetent at this point.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Just so everyone's on the same level, here's a full translation of the curated thread in that matome article. Enjoy seeing how Japanese fans dicuss the anime:

Title: Satoshi: "I battled Carne-san once too, you know" <-- That's wrong though??
PM2019 staff caught retconning XY again...

--------------------------------
It wasn't just once, though...
Satoshi Gekkouga sure was impressive in that second battle.

Delete delete delete

I thought the same.
Wonder which battle they retconned out.

So nostalgic.
I loved that series.

Maybe Satoshi just counted wrong?
--------
⌃Not being able to count to 2 is a bit...

Technically they first battled in the XY OP.

They erased Satoshi Gekkouga, so that means there's just 1 battle left.
--------
⌃This.
The second battle is now non-canon.
--------
⌃⌃They're being really thorough lol
--------
⌃⌃⌃That's WAY too thorough...
I'm scared.
--------
⌃⌃⌃⌃The tale of the deleted Gekkouga is no longer just an urban legend, huh...

Surely they could've just had him say "I've battled Carne-san before".

He said "fought him many times" when he was talking about Alan...

Just reboot the show already.

We're talking about a guy that doesn't know how to evolve a Karasalis into an Agehunt here.

Look stuff up first, THEN make the anime.

It's kinda bad when the fans know the show better than the creators.
--------
⌃Pokemon anime fans have always known their stuff.
Every time Satoshi screws up in some way, haters have a field day bringing up things he's said and done in the past

They could've just googled it.
Btw,
couldn't they just have had him say "Me and Carne-san resolved the Kalos crisis together"?
--------
⌃There were quite a lot of other people involved in doing that though...
--------
⌃⌃There's lots of stuff they just keep ignoring even though you can look it up on the wiki,
like the size of Satoshi's Yorunozuku,
or the Rocket Gang's Pokémon that they simply left at the HQ and should easily be able to pick up at any time.

I thought it was great that they remembered the eye contact thing Carne and Sirknight had going though.

The episode that has "vs Satoshi Gekkouga" in the title is officially considered part of the series though.
And fans like the Sirknight VS Gekkouga battle better than the Sirnight VS Pikachu one.
--------
⌃If you had actually watched the episode you'd have known Pikachu fights too lol

That first episode didn't really have a proper battle in it, so wouldn't that be why?

That first episode where she faces Pikachu not only has Sirknight easily dodge all its moves, but the only reason Sirknight didn't OHKO Pikachu with Shadow Ball is because the Rocket Gang interrupted, so normally you wouldn't really count it as a "battle".

Kids don't care anyway.

The Drawn Sword

This is proof that the writers are trying to destroy everything we loved about XY&Z and more proof that every single animator, director, and writer should be fired and blacklisted from the industry

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
This is proof that the writers are trying to destroy everything we loved about XY&Z and more proof that every single animator, director, and writer should be fired and blacklisted from the industry
Step away from the computer, go outside, and touch some grass…

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
+For as lame of a character as Lance is, his speech about wanting to honor Kanto/Johto and his dragon brigade was cool af. Same for Diantha and Kalos‘s Trainers.
+Cameos for Ritchie, the Johtrio, Sawyer, and the XY trio. Nice to see them appear again.
+Jessie being a jealous person is so funny lmao
+Diantha using actual strategy makes her a little bit cooler in my eyes
+An explicit reference to Jessie’s Gourgeist is cool.
+Didn’t know Trick or Treat was called Halloween in Japanese
+Nice to see flinching in the anime
+The XYZ Legendary battle remix is one of my favorites so glad to see it return
+That smug smirk after stopping Flash Cannon with Psychic was funny
+I love seeing characters using moves that would be ineffective for defense like with Max Wyrmwind
+Jessie telling Diantha to finish the next match with Gourgeist is a death wish lol
+Lance telling Ash to hang in there after he’s removed from the tournament
+Iris saying she really wants to let loose. She probably says this in the games but that’s what she says before her sync move in Masters.

•What was with the zoom in on Ash’s suddenly angry face when Diantha said she had something for Hydreigon?
•”Gardevoir is super effective against both Dragon and Dark Types! So what should she use? A resisted Shadow Ball!”

-Lance’s Gyarados went down relatively quickly for something that was being treated as his ace.
-I still think Iris should’ve gotten Hydreigon over Lance.

Overall a great battle. Diantha really impressed me with her move defensive playstyle. Nice callbacks with the cameos, Ash remember battling Diantha, and Jessie remembering her Gourgeist. Definitely agree that this felt like a DP battle and was miles ahead of Leon vs Alain. My main issue is Lance really didn’t show much outside of brute force and I question how he became the runner up. 8/10

Kage-Pikachu

•”Gardevoir is super effective against both Dragon and Dark Types! So what should she use? A resisted Shadow Ball!”
Remember she used Halloween--lol, i love that name--on Hydreigon too so it would have been neutral (Dragon/Dark/Ghost). She kept using Shadow Ball on Greninja too in the past and only used Moon Blast once, she likes to spam that move a lot.

if they do make an anime pokemon with multiple types it should be reserved for very specific circumstances like the original legendary dragon of legend in Unova (combined form of Kyurem, Zekrom, and Reshiram).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Remember she used Halloween--lol, i love that name--on Hydreigon too so it would have been neutral (Dragon/Dark/Ghost). She kept using Shadow Ball on Greninja too in the past and only used Moon Blast once, she likes to spam that move a lot.

if they do make an anime pokemon with multiple types it should be reserved for very specific circumstances like the original legendary dragon of legend in Unova (combined form of Kyurem, Zekrom, and Reshiram).
Somehow forgot about Halloween (love that name too lmao). From that to Shadow Ball. I guess Diantha is a secret fan of Ghost Types

jjliang

Do you think Lance and/or Diantha would probably train Ash or something sometime before the final battle against Leon?