• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Champions' Pride! Lance VS Diantha!! (1205)

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Gourgeist flinched, so it couldn't move against Hydreigon.
And when dragonite used body press againts aurorus the first time?

Gyarados againts trick or treat?

Hydragon againts trick or treat again even though lance already saw how it was used effectively?

The first dark pulse that caused the flinching in the first place where diantha doesn’t have the excuse of defending behind light screen?

Hydragon againts that long ass moonblast?

Gardevoir against max strike?

Of course there’s going to be hits in any pokemon match, but good battles mix in dodges and defense so that it feels some attacks are unavoidable in the circumstances. Here both sides just had their pokemons completely staic for the most time with no effort to dodge which made it look like the battles in the game where the pokemon just can’t be bothered and accept anything coming at them. To make the one time diantha dodges some kind big strategy?

Even worse when diantha’s whole gimmick back in XY is how she can instruct gardevoir to dodge and move without saying anything.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
I enjoyed this battle more than the previous one. Aurorus and Gardevoir were my favorites! I hope they keep up the good pacing and no more rushed battles.
I’m not surprised Gyarados went down faster than the others after having its type changed to ghost.
Nice to see that Alain didn’t left the tournament.
For a moment a felt the momentum was on Lance’s side when he used Dynamax, glad to see that they didn’t ignore logic and gave Diantha this well deserved victory. I’m tired of seeing this almost invincible Dragonites in the anime take hit after hit like it’s nothing.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
The first and greatest mistake Lance made in this fight was giving Dragonite Hyper Beam. At no point did it work out in his favor, it only made him lose that much harder.

this is why i'm glad Ash's Dragonite got rid of that attack.

Sure some moves are all powerful, but if they have recoil or prevent you from attacking you get taken down quicker or left wide open if your not careful.

Or Ash didn't have Ash-Greninja in this timeline?

Yet he still could battle Diantha and Alain's Megas without a crutch

Regardless of all this, Greninja is still responsible for putting a chink into the thinking that champions were untouchable, because sure the fight between him and Diantha started out as a test, but the fact she was forced to mega evolve and take it more seriously, and her Gardevoir got overwhelmed still happened, Greninja is responsible for starting the decline of Champion's being unbeatable.

Here she had a well calculated plan which is why her Gardevoir much more impressive, but that does not discredit or take away what Greninja pulled off.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I don't want to get into this whole "staff hates XY" mess again, but barring the braindead"retcon" of AG in JN108, I think the most telling evidence that all references to AG are trying to be removed is how horrible Alain is. There was zero acknowledgement in 115, and even in 116, there's something horribly empty about him. This anime is known to have characters avoid interacting with each other if it means it's a quick fire way of making sure they don't need to address an awkward issue, and that's what's happening here. With all these, I won't be surprised if Ash was indeed referring to Pikachu vs Gardevoir and not AG.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
I don't want to get into this whole "staff hates XY" mess again, but barring the braindead"retcon" of AG in JN108, I think the most telling evidence that all references to AG are trying to be removed is how horrible Alain is. There was zero acknowledgement in 115, and even in 116, there's something horribly empty about him. This anime is known to have characters avoid interacting with each other if it means it's a quick fire way of making sure they don't need to address an awkward issue, and that's what's happening here. With all these, I won't be surprised if Ash was indeed referring to Pikachu vs Gardevoir and not AG.
If that was really the case, then...why didn't they just bring Tobias in to get pwned by Leon instead?

GGuitarGuy95

Using hyper beam while leaving yourself vulnerable to super effective hits?? Cameron seems like a Mensa candidate compared to Lance.

Last edited:

Trillion

much better than leon vs alain

• GOURGEIST MVP
  • double screens. even better that they functioned the way they're supposed to instead of just being "pseudo-protect"
  • jessie remembering her gourgeist
  • gourgeist's pokedex entry. i forget the exact wording, but it said something like "it takes on a look of happiness as it watches its opponent suffer". reminded me of gliscor's legend's pokedex entry lol
  • the fact that diantha won. extra points for it being with a unique team
  • trick-or-treat strats
  • lance dynamaxing dragonite to raise it's hp to buy more time was great
  • the flash cannon animation with hydreigon's tracks lighting up
  • dark pulse's flinch chance being acknowledged
  • was not expecting ritchie and sparky
  • was definitely not expecting the chronicles trio. i was just talking about chronicles in another thread last week so that's ironic
  • also ironic that the last thing i did on thursday was watch ash vs sawyer at the kalos league. then the next morning i see that sawyer and the xy rivals return. it was nice to see them too
great episode

AuraKshatriya

This was a good battle and while I would have preferred Diantha won, it manages to show her competence with strategy while also reinforce that Lance's Pokemon are stronger.

She already had the type advantage in 2/3 of the matchups (3/3 after Trick-Or-Treat) and yet still had to rely on Dual Screens, and even admitted that her Gourgeist would've been in trouble despite its type resistance to water without them. Lance's Pokemon also regularly took attacks head-on, particularly his Dragonite. The fact they needed to have her buff her team's defenses and also be generally outgunned in terms of offence did indicate Lance's Pokemon are individually stronger.

This match was sort of the equivalent of Diantha battling Steven in terms of how one-sided the type matchups were, but with Steven also using dual screens and Metal Sound on top of things. Lance getting her down to Gardevoir despite that, and coming close to KOing it with Dragonite's Hyper Beam (if it had landed) despite it entering that battle fresh while Dragonite was already injured says a lot. Based on her performance here she'd have performed much worse under the same adverse matchup against Steven, for example, so Lance doing so well is actually really commendable. That doesn't mean Diantha's strategies weren't good, but in terms of consistency of scaling it's still appropriate to have Lance at Rank 4 and her at Rank 5 given how this went - people writing Lance off based on this isn't really reasonable. His Dragonite in particular is ridiculously strong - it was even still standing for a bit after that last Moonblast. Might have the best durability of any trainer-owned Pokemon we've seen so far.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
No comment. It's clear that people who liked XY for any reason are not welcome. JN is such a dogsh*t series.
Not sure if satire.

thor94

didn't expected diantha to win with her former anime and game reputation as pokemon franchise weakest and worst champion ever.

Last edited:

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
At this rate, I won’t be surprised if during the Leon vs Diantha battle Ash says that he never saw Guardevoir being cornered before.

RafaSceptile

Illusio

No words, only rage
I think the battle could’ve been improved by showing Lance’s smarter side. Give him a Pokémon/move that can deal with the screens, give him literally anything else rather than Hydreigon and make it the designated Guardevoir counter, have Extreme Speed on Dragonite instead of Hyper Beam etc…
What? Using Hydreigon was smart as his ace struggled with Gourgeist, what would've been smarter was switching to it earlier when it was clear Trick-or-Treat was getting Gyarados smacked around. That way he would've had it for Gardevoir.