• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Champions' Pride! Lance VS Diantha!! (1205)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Somehow forgot about Halloween (love that name too lmao). From that to Shadow Ball. I guess Diantha is a secret fan of Ghost Types

I like Trick-and-Treat more, to be honest.

But I get the feeling. I like "Dragon Dive" a lot more than "Dragon Rush". Still no idea why localization team changed that one since it was on english already

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Do you think Lance and/or Diantha would probably train Ash or something sometime before the final battle against Leon?
I can say that, just wait for some type of encouragement an episode before the finals. I doubt about training, only Iris, Cynthia and Alain are close enough to Ash to even suggest that, but I think he'll just try to stay (uncessfully) cool until the final battle.

DatsRight

I have to say that, while this was a decent episode and battle, I kinda get some people's ambivalence to this. It doesn't really feel like THE tournament of top battlers, especially after the recent series. I feel like a lot of this is down to the direction of episode, even with inconsistent budget, I think a lot of XY and SM episodes were able to give real weight and power to attacks when they wanted to while JN often looks very floaty like the older seasons (Melmetal vs Silvally recycled footage and had several still frames for example, but direction still gave a real intense feel of two heavy elusive powerhouses fighting).

I liked the Gourgeist reference (sadly about as close as we'll likely get to seeing much more of TR's old Pokemon I guess) and all the boys' Pokemon fanboying over the competitors.

It seems like Diantha took a bit of a nerf since the last battle, no speed of light dodge power here at all. :p (Actually I don't remember, has dodge appeared much at all this series?). Her use of strategy was decent the whole way, even if it made Lance look a bit like a dumb brute for the early points of the match (I like how Gyarados persisted with its attacks even when they were seemingly countered though, as well as Dragonite risking damage with Hail for the sake of wearing down Gardevoir, more stuff like that could have made Lance look scary durable).

I have to say that for all people moan about Eevee and Charizard, I'm getting lethargic about all the Dragonite this series. I get with Lance it was kind of inevitable but two battles in a row?

Kage-Pikachu

I have to say that for all people moan about Eevee and Charizard, I'm getting lethargic about all the Dragonite this series. I get with Lance it was kind of inevitable but two battles in a row?
i think it would be better received if they were full battles instead of 3 on 3, i understand seeing the same kind of pokemon over and over can get annoying due to lack of variety. i am glad they at least have different move sets though.

I really wish we saw Iris fight Raihan for her place in the Master's 8, would have been an interesting battle.

Last edited:

DayQuil95

I think a lot of XY and SM episodes were able to give real weight and power to attacks when they wanted to while JN often looks very floaty like the older seasons
Exactly, Journeys is lacking when it comes to demonstrating moves being powerful when it matters, sure there are some instances like Mewtwo's Shadow Ball or Pikachu's beautifully animated Thunderbolt countering lightning that was about to strike Ash and Goh, but for most of the time it doesn't feel as powerful as the moves in XYZ, where even a Magikarp's Splash caused a building-sized explosion somehow.

Gale_

I liked this battle. At first I was kind of disappointed in Lance for making raw power his primary strategy, but after thinking about it......it almost worked, Lance's pokemon must hit incredibly hard for this match to be as close as it was. I have a feeling if Diantha didn't immediately put up the dual screens she would have lost this match, despite having a huge type advantage.. Too bad for Lance that Diantha is more strategic than he is. Honestly if Lance just played this match a little smarter he probably would have come out on top. I do also like that Flash Cannon got a nice charge up animation on Hydreigon's treads though, it's my favorite move in the series and like that it got a cool showing this episode.

I also really loved the cameos this episode, completely out of left field. Seeing Ritchie and the Chronicles characters was a huge surprise.

Kage-Pikachu

I liked this battle. At first I was kind of disappointed in Lance for making raw power his primary strategy, but after thinking about it......it almost worked, Lance's pokemon must hit incredibly hard for this match to be as close as it was. I have a feeling if Diantha didn't immediately put up the dual screens she would have lost this match, despite having a huge type advantage.. Too bad for Lance that Diantha is more strategic than he is. Honestly if Lance just played this match a little smarter he probably would have come out on top. I do also like that Flash Cannon got a nice charge up animation on Hydreigon's treads though, it's my favorite move in the series and like that it got a cool showing this episode.

I also really loved the cameos this episode, completely out of left field. Seeing Ritchie and the Chronicles characters was a huge surprise.
he should have had his Dragonite spam Thunderwave and Wrap like players in gen 1 hehe.
I wanted Lance to Hyper Beam a human. I was let down.
hehe, he might do it to team rocket one day

Ray123

Diantha wins!!!! So happy awesome! amazing! (and then she gonna lose to leon).

Ritchie I hadn't seen him in ages! I don't really remember that much about him or that era it's been a long time since I've watched it.

Alan is still around.

Are those two based on Ethan and Kris! Which season they're in?.

The animation was fine, but nothing amazing.

Now Go Iris!!

10/10 episode.

So let me see here:
Keeping in mind that Lance’s Dynamax Gyarados went toe to toe with Leon’s Gigatamax Charizard and that Lance’s Base Gyarados lost to Diantha’s Gourgeist.
Leon’s Gigatamax Charizard=Lance’s Dynamax Gyarados>Lance’s Base Gyarados<Diantha’s Gourgeist<Lance’s Hydreigon<Diantha’s Mega Gardevoir<Imperfect Ash-Greninja<Alain’s Mega Charizard X<Leon’s Base Charizard<Leon’s Gigatamax Charizard=Raihan’s Gigatamax Duraludon<Ash’s Base Lucario<Ash’s Mega Lucario

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Really enjoyed this battle. Was paced pretty well, had interesting strategies and thought put behind it, and felt like a battle between two equally powerful and competent individuals.

Diantha did amazing here; the long-term strategies she set up with Aurorus and Gourgeist were clever and, in Gourgeist’s case, pretty creative. Loved it using Halloween and then following it up with damaging attacks, honestly Gourgeist felt like the MVP this battle. I actually thought everyone in her team played their part well, and I loved how that in turn ties into her actress career and theatrical persona. Like Leon said, she treats every battle as a different performance and knows exactly how she wants to execute each one.

But of course Mega Gardevoir was the decisive factor. That little nod at the end there to her unspoken bond with it was nice. Ash geeking out over it was cute and I like how they’re incorporating the rest of the Champions’ commentary into each battle. And ahh of course Jessie, it’s lovely how much she cherishes her Pokémon, as do the rest of TR.

Lance wasn’t bad here either. What he kind of like completely set aside in strategy he compensated for w brute force, and while that wasn’t particularly the best choice against someone like Diantha, he had her sweating at several points. The Gmax hail part was ballsy but seemed like a valid strategy at the time. His lack of foresight just ruined it for him in the end.

Lance dipping immediately after was funny though lmaoo, especially when Ash came to greet him and he just said like four words back. It’s fun how the pettiness runs in the family.

Love Iris and Ash’s friendship so much, I’m looking forward to seeing her vs Cynthia. Seeing Excadrill also made my eyes sparkle like Ash and Pikachu, that’s telling.