• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Change in PikaSpeak

silseel

Does anyone knows why in the Sun&Moon anime, they changed Pikachu's "celebrative" phrase (for when Ash catches a pokemon or get a badge, etc) from "Pi-Pikachu" to "Pika Pika"?

I've started watching the Sun&Moon series recently and that's has been bothering me a lot. At first I thought it was because Ash was getting Z-crystals and not badges, but Pikachu kept saying Pika Pika instead of Pi-Pikachu even when Ash got new pokemon (and more recently even when he got a """real"" badge in SM118 - Aim for the Top Floor! The Explosive Dragon Gym!!) so I guess this is not a circumstantial issue but an actual change in Pika Speak.

Which bothers me a lot?! What does that mean anyway? Why change such an iconic phrase? And why change it now? Is this change forever? Will Pikachu not say Pi-Pikachu in Galar? And if it does, what does that means for Alola? Is the Sun&Moon anime happening in an alternate universe where Pikachu speaks diferently? Did Pikachu die between Kalos' and Alola's journeys and got replaced by a different Pikachu? Is Pikachu getting old and going senile???

Anyway, I know this is stupid, no one cares about it but me, but if someone knows or have a theory why this is a thing that happened (maybe is just to match the Pikachu cry in-games now?), please tell me. I literally made an account here just to ask this, so please enlighten me on this matter before it kills me. Thank you.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I really didn't notice this until the Detective Pikachu movie trailer and made me examine the anime a bit closer. I assume it's just synergy and nothing else.

JC317

Had to go back and check all of the trial and capture episodes... and wow, Pikachu really did change his phrase for basically all of them.

Except for Ash's trial against Hapu, where Pikachu went 'Pika-Pikachu' instead for just that one time.

I don't know, maybe 'Pika Pika' sounds more upbeat than 'Pi-Pikachu'? As such that fits more with the general atmosphere of the SM anime

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Had to go back and check all of the trial and capture episodes... and wow, Pikachu really did change his phrase for basically all of them.

Except for Ash's trial against Hapu, where Pikachu went 'Pika-Pikachu' instead for just that one time.

I don't know, maybe 'Pika Pika' sounds more upbeat than 'Pi-Pikachu'? As such that fits more with the general atmosphere of the SM anime
Actually he do use pike pike few time pre-sun and moon anime series

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Probably because it's easier and smoother for the tongue of its VA to pronounce "Pika Pika" than "Pi-Pikachu", well for me anyways.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I did notice the difference a while back, although I simply chalked it up to SM having a different animation style than past sagas, which I thought may've affected the way that Pikachu's seiyuu says her lines due to mouth flap changes. That was my old naive reasoning though, but now I'm not so sure what the explanation is meant to be.

silseel

I really didn't notice this until the Detective Pikachu movie trailer and made me examine the anime a bit closer. I assume it's just synergy and nothing else.
Yeah, my bet is that this change may be a way to create a standart Pikachu's catch phrase or something of the sort. Kinda like they did with Eevee, where it's cry in the game (and if my memory doesn't fail, Detective Pikachu movie too) was modified to match the sound it makes in the original japanese series. What bothers me is that is so unnecessary? First that Pikachu already is a well know lil rat, but also because the Pika-Pika phrase was already used in other instances, so why change other phrases to Pika Pika too?

Right? Sometimes it feels kinda random like that. Such a contrast with the old forms of Pika Speak where we even got pika names for Ash's companions and pokemon (another thing I miss seeing too tbh, I think giving pika names to Ash's pokemon in Sun&Moon would really make them feel even closer and push the family vibe SM has even further but oh well)

I'm dunno if there's is that big of a difference in tone in the 2 phrases? Then again I'm used to Pi-pikachu so I may be just biased towards it. I do admit that Pi-pikachu needs a lil more intonation in the Pi part that Pika Pika doesn't so I guess you could be right on it being a better way to show immediate happyness.

Actually he do use pike pike few time pre-sun and moon anime series
When getting bagdes and pokemon, really? When? I alway act like a stupid child and get ready to say Pi-Pikachu on those moments and it's a bummer whenever Pikachu doesn't say it that I notice right away when isn't used, but I can totally see myself missing some.

Probably because it's easier and smoother for the tongue of its VA to pronounce "Pika Pika" than "Pi-Pikachu", well for me anyways.
Maybe is also faster to record? Pika-Pika is indeed easier and faster to... get it right (?) than Pi-pikachu, which has a specific tone and all (as stated above), so I guess changing to Pika-Pika for easier diction is not that far fetched at all.

I did notice the difference a while back, although I simply chalked it up to SM having a different animation style than past sagas, which I thought may've affected the way that Pikachu's seiyuu says her lines due to mouth flap changes. That was my old naive reasoning though, but now I'm not so sure what the explanation is meant to be.
Ohh, that's a good explanation! Then again SM had given much more attention to lip sync than past sagas that I don't see why they couldn't have given the same attention to Pikachu's lip sync?

Anyway, thank you you all for the replies! I didnt expect this to get answers at all so it was hella nice seeing other's opinions on that. The art style change and pronunciation theories sure help explain why this change is so proeminent in SM than other sagas and I guess I can live with those reasons to this (still weird imo) change.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
From the most recent episode it seems like Pikachu now refers to Ash with a generic "Pika" rather than "Pikapi"

silseel

From the most recent episode it seems like Pikachu now refers to Ash with a generic "Pika" rather than "Pikapi"
YES it does! I was waiting for this episode to premier to check that! This basically confirms that they did change the complexity of the Pika-speak... I'm so bummed.... Now I can only hope this is not permanet and that in SWSH saga Pikachu goes back to his usual Pika-mannerisms (I doubt it thought).

What saddens me the most if to think they did this because the previous Pika-Speak was "too complex for children" (which is not really)...

Does is really matter that it has changed? I never saw the point of Pikachu's special speech pattern since it was never relevant to the plot and seemed like an Easter egg type of thing that only hardcore fans even noticed.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Spider-Phoenix said:

I'm going to miss Pikachu's quirky way of referring to Satoshi somewhat, but in all honesty the change doesn't affect my enjoyment of their interactions too much. In truth, I pretty much tuned out Pikachu's voice years ago.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
All I remember is Pikachu calling Togepi 'Pipipi.' I hadn't even realized that 'Pikapi' was his way of referring to Ash, so my mind's kinda blown.

Last edited:

silseel

Does is really matter that it has changed? I never saw the point of Pikachu's special speech pattern since it was never relevant to the plot and seemed like an Easter egg type of thing that only hardcore fans even noticed.
Not really, but as you said it's a fun easter egg and I like those! I always liked this kind of stuff too because it helped explain how sometimes the characters seemed to understand their pokemon so easily; because well, they actually had some sort of speech pattern.

Also this:
All I remember if Pikachu calling Togepi 'Pipipi.' I hadn't even realized that 'Pikapi' was his way of referring to Ash, so my mind's kinda blown.
I really loved when there was special names like that for the pokemon and humans! As I mentioned before, Pikachu giving characters "Pika names" always made them all feel more like family and, personally, made the companions and pokemon of the saga even more special (and I'm a sucker for these cheesy stuff).

I guess I just... didn't see this coming and it took me by surprise. Oh well, at least now I can rest assured that I'm not reading too much into it and that this is an actual thing that happened. I'll miss hearing Pikapi tho...

Animac

All I remember is Pikachu calling Togepi 'Pipipi.' I hadn't even realized that 'Pikapi' was his way of referring to Ash, so my mind's kinda blown.
Now that you know that, go watch ash's deaths in both Mewtwo and Ho Ho movies again.