• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

change starter types?

do u think the starter types should change?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?
Grass/Fire/Water is classic and it works well so why change it? Other type combo's can be made to keep it interesting, maybe making the final evo's grass-fire (lava plants a la mario), fire-water(Geiser) and water-grass. I would also like to add triangles like Dark/Psychic/Fighting or Ground/Electric/Flying.

Last edited:

rybo5000

<- so cute <3
No. Grass/Fire/Water is a tradition that I like. It would ruin Pokemon for me if they did change. Besides, it fits because of Overgrow, Blaze, and Torrent.
It would kill the tradition.

lol, Overgrow Blaze and Torrent were made for the starters, idiot -lmao

Turbo

I'm happy the way it is now, and it most likely will never change. I mean, there were all those rumors of making the starters for this game Dark, Fighting, and Psychc and that never happened, and most likely never will.

LegendChris

Eevee Expert
Actually a working triangle would be.
Ice, Rock, and Electric.

Ice beats rock, Rock beats electric, electric beats ice.
Don't you agree?

Simply because its sort of traditional that the starters are Grass/Fire/Water, it would be weird to start off without them. Depending on what starter you choose at the beginning of your game, depends on the challenge you face the rest of the game. Example: pick Treecko for in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and you already have the first gym won, but the next 3 gyms, unless you level up amazingly, are complete and utterly hard. Pick Mudkip and half the gyms are hard, half are easy, again depending on level. Pick Torchic and you have a problem. If they changed the types of the starters, they would give you a type that would make the game too easy/hard. I do not think types need be changed.

Iveechan

<--- CHANTASTIC
Actually a working triangle would be.
Ice, Rock, and Electric.

Ice beats rock, Rock beats electric, electric beats ice.
Don't you agree?

No, because non of those types are weak to eachother, they do normal damage. Unless that was sarcasm I failed to pick up. Rock would beat Ice though.

Surprised I haven't seen this suggested, but what about rock/flying/fighting applied as secondary types? Grass/Fighting (lol Breloom), Fire/Rock (lol Crapcargo), Water/Flying (lol electric). Or Fire/Flying (OMG SAME AS CHARIZARD), Grass/Rock, Water/Fighting. Wait, maybe that's why it wasn't suggested, disregard.

I like the fire/water/grass trio, and I found it clever how this generation made the secondary types strong to the primary type's counterparts.

Thunda Night

Manaphy Egg owner
well they gotta stop making the grass one weak to the water one's ice beam
emperuto has high spAtt AND does 4x to the turtle! o_O

this gen is kinda reversed:
the turtle's EQ is supereffective against the monkey,
and the fighting type is effective against the penguin's steel type
Two way triangle.

Emperuto>>Turtle because Water>>Ground, and Steel resists Grass, but turtle>>emporor coz EQ beats steel.
Chimp>>Enperuto coz fighting beats steel, but Enperuto beats chimps coz Water>> Fire.
Chimp>>Turtle Coz Fire>>Grass, Turtle>>Chimp coz EQ beats fire.

Honestly, 2 outta three are EQ weak.

eddy99999990

fire/water/grass is amazing so no the shouldn't change the starter types

Ho-oh Tamer

I really like the Fire-Grass-Water starter triangle and I wouldn't want them to change the tradition. On the other hand it would give a bit more variety between the different pokemon regions/games. I think Fire/Psychic-Water/Fighting-Grass/Dark would be really interesting though.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Two way triangle.

Emperuto>>Turtle because Water>>Ground, and Steel resists Grass, but turtle>>emporor coz EQ beats steel.
Chimp>>Enperuto coz fighting beats steel, but Enperuto beats chimps coz Water>> Fire.
Chimp>>Turtle Coz Fire>>Grass, Turtle>>Chimp coz EQ beats fire.

Honestly, 2 outta three are EQ weak.

And both Dodaitos and Goukazaru can go beat up Empelt, because both specialize in a type that Steel is weak against. That goes for Goukazaru in particular, because it can easily outrun Empelt and has the attack power to take it out in one hit. (It was done in Pokémon Sunday.)

On the other hand, Empelt can go beat up a large portion of Pokémon who aren't starters, since both Water and Steel are excellent types and is the first Pokémon to present a threat to those Pokémon who use Water and Dragon attacks.

Brockness Monster

Yipes Stripes!
no the grass/fire/water starter triangle shouldnt be changed.

aquasuicune

There may be a few other working triangles, but they don't have as much variability in the designs. IMO, Fire/Water/Grass lets them be quite creative and I can't see it being any other one.

Edit: Wow, that made a lot of sense...

HoagiethePokeBreeder

Poke’veteran
I don't think I could have fun without the Water/Fire/Grass triangle. It's just a game classic that shouldn't go.

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
I actually wouldnt mind a change... just to get some new creative type combos out there... and hte dark/fighting/psy trio would work with sub types... like Dark+Poison/Fighting+Ghost/Psychic+Bug... i believe thats how it would go? even tho that would make horrible starters... im sure gamefreak could come up with something better....

Status
Not open for further replies.