• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Change Your Passwords - Today's Occurrences

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
That'd be a breech of privacy I imagine (no need to tell everyone who did get breached), and if you didn't get contacted yet then it wasn't you.

Email is only in danger if you don't change the email password assuming it was the same as your forum one in the first place. If it was the same, change it to something significantly different.

Rainy Bluefoxie

I was not trying to be mean about anything, I was just trying to figure something out. Sorry if i came off as rude.

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
I was not trying to be mean about anything, I was just trying to figure something out. Sorry if i came off as rude.

You didn't, no worries. Just making sure you know you're safe ^_^

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I just changed my password, and if no one else has you will wanna. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
its been 10 hours, i think he would have done something if he was going to.

seems hes just doing this for fun.

Still, did change my password slightly.

Yveltal96

A little more human
its been 10 hours, i think he would have done something if he was going to.

seems hes just doing this for fun.

Still, did change my password slightly.
He sells what he gets for a living. He basically hacks for a living. Also, not necessarily he would have to crack the encrypted passwords and emails first.
Besides, unless you got a notification from Joe, you shouldn't worry too much.

you're welcome bobandbill you were starting to sound like a broken record

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I'm glad we have Serebii in charge. He can handle things like this really well. Thanks, Serebii! I changed my password to be safe, for the first time ever. I always knew I could change it from the one I got when I signed up to the forums, I just didn't want to.

I went and changed mine first time since I regsitered too xD

But I didn't get any email. So i wasn't affected :3 nya~

Keegan™

I will never understand why hackers take their time to take personal information of others... Honestly I'm pissed, I've witnessed my mother and my girlfriend's personal accounts hacked and abused... Luckily both had banks where it was detected early and no severe financial damage was done... But hacking a forum that is primarily used for Pokémon news? What do they want? My email? Do you want to see my college scores? I'm already struggling being in College as it is, I personally dare them to come up to my face and I can guarantee you that I would not be held responsible for what I would do to them. [/pissed]

Yveltal96

A little more human
I will never understand why hackers take their time to take personal information of others... Honestly I'm pissed, I've witnessed my mother and my girlfriend's personal accounts hacked and abused... Luckily both had banks where it was detected early and no severe financial damage was done... But hacking a forum that is primarily used for Pokémon news? What do they want? My email? Do you want to see my college scores? I'm already struggling being in College as it is, I personally dare them to come up to my face and I can guarantee you that I would not be held responsible for what I would do to them. [/pissed]

For money. Simple as that, they sell your information.
And they know there is not a thing you can do about it.

The Thunderbird

Dreams come true
I just changed my password and email now. Funny thing when I went to change my password, I found out that my email for this account at the time of the hacking was some ancient Yahoo account that I forgot about for many years.

Holy crap, I wondered what happened when I saw the change your password pop up, i never thought this was what happened. We're lucky that the problem was taken care of so quickly, thanks Serebii!

Unfortunately, Smogon is STILL down.

RzK

Meow
And what is this madness I wake up to??? :O
Thank you, Serebii for putting things right so quickly!
This is the same guy who DDoSed PS and Smog? What a....... Also, has Bulbagarden been warned yet about this? They should be told to stay safe immediately, if not told yet imo.

Haxy

legendary spooky silke
I've reset my password, just in case.

Seeing as this also affects quite a bunch of other Pokémon sites... I've also went and reset them on anything that I have an account on.

Sometimes, people just want to hack stuff just for kicks. I wonder what's the motive behind this...

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Actually, sometimes it's not always money motivated. Some people hack just for the fun or 'challenge' of it. And I would be surprised if someone paid for the hacking of a bunch of Pokemon forusm or the passwords belonging to primarily kids. Sorta a weird target, and given their history it seems more like they just wanted to do this.

Last edited:

Escheria

Ray Tracer
And what is this madness I wake up to??? :O
Thank you, Serebii for putting things right so quickly!
This is the same guy who DDoSed PS and Smog? What a....... Also, has Bulbagarden been warned yet about this? They should be told to stay safe immediately, if not told yet imo.

Just to clarify, neither PS, Smogon nor Serebii were DDoSed. It's a simple hack through compromising admin accounts. A DDoS would render a site unavailable without it being actually hacked, as the goal is to simply overload the server with requests so the actual users won't have access. Not really useful to do on Pokemon sites, but online shops will lose a lot of profit from a DDoS attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.