1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Changes to 4th Gen Competitive Battling NO GARCHOMP DISCUSSION!

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by Machiki, Oct 2, 2008.

1. razor fire

razor fire Well-Known Member

as said by Zero Nexus, tiers are for queers. remember Karen ( or was it that dragonleader?) who said that people should be allowed to use their favorite pokemon? Do it.

2. Carlisle

Carlisle BAM

Tiers are for queers? Wow, that's REAL mature.

Tiers are based on usage. Those Pokemon are there usually because of bad typing, they are outclassed by another Pokemon, lack of a good movepool, they didn't get very many upgrades this generation, etc.

Take Milotic for example. An EXTREMELY good Pokemon in the third generation. Did the fourth generation really give it any upgrades? No, not really. So it's not used as much.

And I'm sick and tired of Karen's quote being thrown around. It actually was pretty cool at first, but with all the people using it in their signature to seem poetic or whater it just lost its value.

Either way, good luck using a Beautifly against a Salamence.

3. Witchan

Witchan Shauntal, FTW!

No, NU aren't really that bad, and besides, I always use any NU pokemon to face an Uber pokemon or whatever.

4. Amonitas

Amonitas Well-Known Member

Guess why was Flygon a BL pokemon? Because Garchomp did everything better than Flygon, now that Garchomp went to ubers (that doesn't mean it's never used, ubers is more than a banlist) Flygon has risen to OU as a replacement, it's no longer outclassed.
    For those who say you beat OU teams with UU pokemon: Most OU teams are built to handle the common threats so using UU's can mess up their strategy as they have no idea what they can do. And if you win, keep in mind, you could have always done even better with OU pokemon. If you go to a tournament that give 1000000$ to the winner, you'd of course use OU pokemon as they are better. Smogon's tier list is about WINNING.

5. klubkj

klubkj Well-Known Member

I know. NU's aren't that bad. I'm planning on using a ;323; ;089; ;166; ;224; ;178; ;470;

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  6. Ambri

Ambri ~Draco Rex~

NUs are awesome. There are a lot of pokemon that are very capable in battles within the lower tiers, and it's more balanced than the higher tiers where a Garchomp or Darkrai is all you need to get you a win.

7. mattj

mattj .

Torkoal owns in TR. Mine has a spd of 22 at L50. I usually give it a Power Anklet to slow it down to 11 because I got "undersped" by a 0spd -Nature Rhyperior with a macho brace a couple of times. :/

As long as I, or my opponent can get TR up, I can Erupt without taking almost any damage. If I can manage to get the sun up too he's an awesome force to behold.

Plus since he NU nobody knows what I'm going to do with him! Most people think I'm going to explode and most have no idea he's that slow! XD

8. Dawn_Hero

Dawn_Hero Written Insanity~

Everything on Smogon is completely based off usage stats. Pokémon are put in tiers based on how much people use them. If you want tiers based on a Pokémon's actual worth, look up places such as Regileague.

9. girazard

girazard IT'S A TRAP!!!

By the way, before I was using my brother's account, as I couldn't be bothered making one. I've now made my own, so now I am not Silversymbol; I am now girazard. I apologise for any confusion.

Despite all the posts supporting it, I believe that Rhyperior should never have been put in OU. High SATK Surfers/Icebeamers are as common as muck and Rhyperior cannot stand up to them even with Sandstorm and Solid Rock supporting it. Energyball and Grass Knot will kill it as well, providing that they have decent SATK.

Smeargle's pathetic stats let down what would otherwise be a great Pokemon, in my opinion. All offensive moves barring Explosion are useless on it (and you need to Belly Drum before you get any worthwhile damage out of it). Its defenses and speed let it down when it comes to status or passing, so I never use it.

I looked on some sites that had Empoleon on them, and when writing that first post I had no idea that it had so many resistances (and therefore several easy switch-ins). I take back anything I said before about it; it really deserves to be OU.

I have to disagree with anyone dissing Muk. I genuinely think it's probably the third or fourth best Poison type (behind Gengar, Roserade and possibly Venusaur). Here are two very viable movesets:

Muk-Muscle Band/Leftovers
    Gunk Shot/Poison Jab
    Brick Break
    Payback
    Curse
    Adamant (+ATK, -SATK)

Muk-Choice Band
    Gunk Shot/Poison Jab
    Focus Punch
    Thunderpunch
    Icepunch
    Adamant

Both of these are virtually unresisted, and pack a huge punch. You might say that these are easily revenge killed. I disagree(Curse solves the defense problem, and Choice Banders were born to hammer something then get out), but can't you say the same thing about Rhyperior?

For the others, Gardevoir outclasses Azelf and Alakazam defensively, with four viable status moves, Imprison and Mean Look; after Regice curses it can rest and outclass Blissey; Articuno works well with a Toxic/Hail/Roost combo and can be a cleric; Entei is brilliant when it has Stone Edge, Sunnybeam or Calm Mind; and finally my Glaceon (Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, HP Fighting, Mirror Coat, Rash nature) always manages to kill at least one Pokemon, and severely harm at least one other.

Thanks for all the posts, that was a LOT considering this was started only 24 hours ago.

10. Devout

Devout Nincada Trainer

its how pokemons are used i like explosions alot :p

11. ungulateman

ungulateman Miltank Man!

Muk has the unfortunate problem of having a pretty average movepool and the worst offensive typing in the game (and one of the worst defensive typings).

Also, as many people have said, tiers are based on usage. Evidently at least 1 in 20 teams use Rhyperior, otherwise it wouldn't be OU.

12. gary the gengar

gary the gengar I couldnt be banned!

If it was still r/s/e, endure-salac-reversal would be a much more effective strategy, but in dppt, bullet punch scizor, extreemspeed lucario, tyranitar, hippowdowon, ect all limit the salac user to just one turn of a base 300 (with stab) move.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  13. [Name] the [Occupation]

[Name] the [Occupation] Pokemans Trainer

NUs aren't necessarily bad; they're just outclassed by OU Pokemon in most cases. Try to carve out a niche for them. Like, Gardevoir learns Hypnosis,Toxic , Thunder Wave, AND Will-o-Wisp. Can Alakazam or Azelf do that?

Unrelated protip:Don't let Curse Bibarel set up or you are screwed.

14. silversymbol

silversymbol <----Hunting

Don't forget swagger :p

15. Sprintking

Sprintking Well-Known Member

There's a reason that the pokemon in the NU tier are there. There are pokemon that are better than them at certain things. It only makes sense that those pokemon would be used more. Being a fan of the "Forgotten" pokemon, most of my favorites are NU. I applaud those who do not use cookie-cutter teams, but you can't avoid the fact that it is harder to use them.

16. Dave.

Dave. Well-Known Member

The popularity of Scizor ruins the idea sadly.
    But it's very good when it goes off without a hitch. A good late game strategy after you draw out and kill its counters.

17. Dave.

Dave. Well-Known Member

NU's can be great.

Choice Scarf Medicham is a beast.

18. Vaporeon4evr

Vaporeon4evr Cyndakill

There not bad, people just never use them :/

19. mas

mas Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with them.

20. Ampy

Ampy Light The Stars

What about things like Ampharos? It's bulky with great Special atk... I can't really think of anything that has both of those, especially an electric type