• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Changes to 4th Gen Competitive Battling NO GARCHOMP DISCUSSION!

Ahmed48

Tactician
Why the hell are charizard and Kingler NU? Kingler has a good Attack stat with Swords Dance and Crabhammer in. And Charizard may have a sucky type, but it has some good movesets, just look at Bellyzard...

skwog_the_whale

.Change.Chaos.
Seeing as we're talking about Smogon tiers, I just thought that I would point out that their ranking is based off of usage rather than base stats. I'm not sure if that has already been stated, but if it has I just thought I would point it out. There's plenty of Pokes in NU that can sweep entire OU teams (I've done it from time to time with my Dragon Dance Lapras), so even some NU Pokes deserve some merit.

Aerodrome

Princess Zelda Fan!
I'm so suspicious of their "usage" stats anyway.

I bet if everyone began using Jigglypuff, they wouldn't put it in OU.

Also, has anyone seen a Volt Tackle, Light Ball Pikachu?

It kills everything. xD

Final

I Submit to No One
it kills grounds too? DX

Hidden Power [Ice] for the lighter ones and Grass Knot for the heavier ones. Still, if Dugtrio gets in on an Electric move, Pikachu is gone.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I don't pay much attention to tiers. OU Pokemon are OU because they're popular because of their sheer power, but most Pokemon are certainly viable in competition, given the same care and strategy.

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
Why the hell are charizard and Kingler NU? Kingler has a good Attack stat with Swords Dance and Crabhammer in. And Charizard may have a sucky type, but it has some good movesets, just look at Bellyzard...

Problem; Charizard can't even set up if SR's on the field. Since the OU metagame is about SR, there's little chance of Charizard being able to use Belly Drum. Kingler's just too slow in general to do much.

Think of it this way: All pokémon are equal; some pokémon are just more equal than others. ... I think I said somethin' clever.

Netosenpai

Ahí madre!
Problem; Charizard can't even set up if SR's on the field. Since the OU metagame is about SR, there's little chance of Charizard being able to use Belly Drum. Kingler's just too slow in general to do much.

Think of it this way: All pokémon are equal; some pokémon are just more equal than others. ... I think I said somethin' clever.

How about agility kingler, comes in on something physical resisted or neutral (115 Def), agility and attempt to sweep with crab hammer, return having non-resisted coverage in UU with x-scissor for the grasses or in OU with brick break(or superpower) for the steels, it also has hyper cutter for those intimidators xD

Aerodrome

Princess Zelda Fan!
Sadly, yes they are bad. The only NU Pokemon that shouldn't be in that Tier is Regice and maybe Chimecho.

Chimecho has horrid stats and Regice is weak to 4 types because its a pure Ice type. Did I mention they are incredibly popular types of attacks too?

Cradily shouldn't be there though. It should be UU. But I suppose its typing and bad movepool hold it back from being actually useful.

Although it does have good defences and access to Recover though.

Creator of Chaos

Comeback Master
Not all NUs are bad. Yes many are terrible and deserve to never be used(Luvdisc and Skuckle i'm looking at you). But there are a few that can genuienly do well in the Upper Tiers.

Gardeviors Recent Rise to UU is indicative of this. Shes a great support Pokemon and surprise Late Game Sweeper when everyones pokemon are nearly dead or Crippled with status.

I've also used Glacion and Leafeon to a certain Extent Before and can Function as Wish Support there in a UU only metagame.
Articuno If it weren't for Stealth rock or Flying tagged onto its type Would make a powerful Defender. Charisard would make an exellent sweeper too. But Unfourtunatly falls under the same problem as articuno.
People have mentioned Cradily and others throughout the thread also for various reasons.

So yes not all NUs are that bad. It just takes some Skill and good strategy to get the most out of them. That said I'm glad Gardeviour and Magneton are in UU now. They are there for good reason

Ksi

Multi-Type Trainer
I used a Buneary recently in battle and lost, its not a Lopunny yet, but I intend to use it as well as my starter.

I plan to gather the original Powerhouses of the Pokemon series (Golem, Machamp, Alakazam, Gengar) and plan to make their move pools so they will be able to deal with most Pokemon.

I remember having a Typhlosion in Crystal, it had the moves Thunder Punch and Earthquake. When fought against the weekly trainer in Viridian, the other starters didn't stand a chance. Giving your Pokemon TM moves that gives it Attack Type advantages in conjunction with it's Level-up Pool really helps.

7 String

Zangoose > All
I would like to know why Zangoose was UU in gen 3 but NU in gen 4. It got stronger in gen4 with the addition of close combat and Ice Punch being made physical. Zangoose can oneshot a Salamence, Rayquaza, Garchomp, Blissey, Empoleon, and many other OU things if it gets a swords dance off without dieing, and Focus Sash REALLY helps this.

FlyingFlygon

Ocarina of Calm
I would like to know why Zangoose was UU in gen 3 but NU in gen 4. It got stronger in gen4 with the addition of close combat and Ice Punch being made physical. Zangoose can oneshot a Salamence, Rayquaza, Garchomp, Blissey, Empoleon, and many other OU things if it gets a swords dance off without dieing, and Focus Sash REALLY helps this.

It's because there are lots of counters to it. There are plenty of pokemon faster than it, and a large chunk of those are fighting types which can demolish Zangoose in a single hit. It's the same with many other pokemon in NU. It's not because there aren't strong enough to be in a different tier, but because there are many pokemon that can counter them.

Ampy

Light The Stars

First off, Zangoose was BL in Gen 3... Secondly Salemence, Rayquaza, Garchomp, and alot of other OUs and Ubers can outspeed it and go in for the KO... It's a great Pokémon in UU but it's outclassed by Hitmonlee and Gallade both get STAB on Close Combat and the latter having more power to use the elemental punches.

PokeN3rd

Not Gem King Kilik
I'm beginning to wonder if the people defending NU Pokemon even bother to think before they post. I wish this could be a great discussion that could possibly spark a great new set or way to use a Pokemon like how Theorymon found a use for Delibird in Ubers. Come on NU Defenders, show me a reason to believe!!!

Please?