1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Changes to 4th Gen Competitive Battling NO GARCHOMP DISCUSSION!

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by Machiki, Oct 2, 2008.

1. flygonabsol99

flygonabsol99 Well-Known Member

UU's
    And Nu's are not always bad.Its the way you train them that counts.Once,on pbr,I was swept by a tag team of dragonight and glaceon.
    See?THere not bad,just THeres better.

2. BaldWombat

BaldWombat Mortal Wombat!

Merged the "Endure-Salac-Reversal" and the "What if Deoxys-S and Shaymin-S were OU?" threads with this to declutter the section in case anyone was looking for them.

3. dragoniteKnight

dragoniteKnight Pose as a team

jup, tiers r 4 queers. anyways tiers often show how often is used, in competitive battleing it truley doesnt matter what tier it is in, but it does give you a GENERAL idea of its worth.an uu pokemon can probably do very well in ou, nu SOMETIMES, not always can do good in ou. some pokemon simpley lack good moves to match its stats and such (entei...flareon), other lack healing moves, making them inferior to other pokemanz. and simpley, some just lack stats, move pool, typing, AND ability....

4. Aerodrome

Aerodrome Princess Zelda Fan!

LOL.

Let me just say this. If you've ever played a game and said:

"This character sucks"

You've just acknowledged the existance of tiers. Yay for you.

Honestly. Anyone who says that tiers do not exist to some extent is just ignorent/butthurt because Garchomp/Luvdisc/whatever isn't in OU.

NU's and UU obviously have some perks, as usually teams won't prepare for say a Choice Specs Jynx or something.

5. fschulze47

fschulze47 Mighty Marvo

I've been experimenting with Choice Specs Venomoth......and its AWESOME! It's a pain to switch in to and with a little paralysis support, it ruins teams. Like Aerodrome said, it ruins unprepared teams, and most teams ARE unprepared to face NUs.

6. BaldWombat

Merged the "Are NUs really that bad?" thread with this one to declutter the section in case you were looking for it.

7. PokeN3rd

PokeN3rd Not Gem King Kilik

Figured I try and create some discussion in this thread because I really like seeing discussion and I like visiting Serebii so why not make my visits more worthwhile than just checking the clan I'm in?

Scarf Tyranitar

I'm not sure if it has been discussed here yet but I will bring it up anyway. Scarf Tyranitar is a Pokemon that has spiked in usage as of late. From 12.9% Choice Scarf usage in December of 2009 to 37.8 in April of this year, it has become a dominant threat in the metagame. The question is, why? A lot of people seem to think it is because of Latias. This stems from the fact that Latias is usually beaten by a Pursuit user and Tyranitar just happens to have STAB on that very move. With Choice Scarf it is also outspeeding Latias, so even if Latias chooses to stay in the match it will suffer a blow of around 50%, which may be enough to KO it anyway. But it's uses do not stop there. The ability to outrun positive nature, base 115 Pokemon allows Tyranitar to check a majority of the metagame. The question is, why do you think it is so high in usage? If Latias were removed, would it go down or continue to stay up? Overall thoughts on the effectiveness of CS Tyranitar?

Aerodactyl Lead
    In the latest stats from Smogon, it was shown that Aerodactyl had risen to 6.15% usage as a lead, taking second ahead of the likes of Swampert, Metagross, and Jirachi. It is tied for the fastest Taunt in the lead game, only Electrode outspeeding it and Crobat, which means it has a pro of being able to stop all rocks. It also does it's job very well; stops rocks and sets up rocks without any trouble (usually). But is that worth starting off the battle 5-6? Are rocks really so troubling that giving up one slot of your team just to stop them is worth it?

Machamp Lead
    The final thing I think is making an impact on the meta is Lead Machamp. Machamp had a usage of 1.51 as a lead in December 2009 to 3.57 as a lead in April of this year. It went from 17th to 7th, from not-so-much-thought-of lead to a top ten lead! Of course there are two sets as well: Anti Lead Machamp and Sub Encore Machamp. Ice Punch / Payback / Dpunch / Bullet Punch and Encore / Sub / Dpunch / Move of Choice are the sets for each, and each have their advantages against other leads. The question is how much can Machamp continue to affect the lead meta and how will it change common leads? Will Spiritomb become a top lead to counter Machamp leads?

Let's have a discussion here for once so I have something to come here for!

8. BaldWombat

T-Tar has gotten popular because it deals with most Latias but also because it is faster than nonscarf Rotom-A. Latias and Rotom-A are 2 pokemon that stop a lot of threats in the metagame and here you have a pokemon that deals with both of them well while still being able to handle a lot of other common pokemon in that speed area.

Aero leads are rising up because of Azelf. Everytype of team can use Azelf as a lead and be successful. You also have the popularity of HO teams that run Dual Screens to allow them to setup easier and Aero is able to shut down those Azelf leads so your team has a better chance of stopping HO.

9. PokeMech

PokeMech New Member

No more Latias

Just wondered what your opinion on Latias being moved to Uber now. I don't use her much, but she was a beast when I did.

10. arceus7

arceus7 Arcane Of The Wild

well now we have one less thing to deal with.

11. LightingKimba

LightingKimba Listenin' t'Dragons!

And now we have another, Salamence's tier placement. ChouToshio made a lovely inference of Salamence in the Smogon Council thread, and I mostly agree with his points.

Any comments/concerns?