1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

chaos' guide to making a successful site v1

Discussion in 'Webmasters & Websites' started by chaos on the internet, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos on the internet

chaos on the internet AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I wrote this post in 2006. None of it is useful in 2014, so I have edited my post to save you some trouble. This thread should probably be unsticked.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. Mamoru

Mamoru Banned

An excellent guide Chaos. A pity that so few will likely actually take notice of it. But that's what we've both come to expect, I think.

That does remind me though, I really need to talk to you later today, after we've finished recording Bulbacast. We're getting rid of Drupal as a backend, and I was wondering what ideas and opinions you might have for a new layout. I was thinking maybe going back to something like the old v10 layout from the original site, with only a left sidebar and a main text section.

3. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

Umm just for the record...around half of the left links go to pages which have a plethora of inner-section links to the right

Thats why my layout is so basic, with 133 things on the left and at least 50 of them having seperate bars (not counting each episode/movie guide & manga summary which has its own right bar which takes the number up even more) which have multiple bits of information, links & pictures required for that section. This is why I have a 3 columned, what many would class as basic, layout.

Its a curse of having a very big site

Some good tips there though chaos, hopefully the new webmasters will get it :)

4. Goldyoshi

Goldyoshi I > You

Well, I think it's useful, especially the niche part. *rant*I don't want to see the Serebii/Pokemonelite2000/PPN/ other big Poke News site wannabe(no offense meant if you own that kind of website, providing info is important, but too many sources= people go to biggest source :p)

You should aslo put that spelling and grammar is important. N0 t4k l13k th1s l0l.

What about Oekakis?

I reccommend to you webbies (stupid nickname) that you try and put opinions and personality into content; what good is unique content if it's boring (and/or eye hurting) to read?

5. chaos on the internet

I also agree with personality in content. It makes it so much easier to read and your users will be hooked for more.

Sorry, I don't know what an Oekaki really is.

I'd also like to say, stop putting Shoutboxes :( that stuff is gay

6. Goldyoshi

Goldyoshi I > You

An oekaki is one of those online drawing boards... it is like an online photoshop. they were cool at first, but they turned into a trend and almost every site has one. Why would you even NEED more than one oekaki account? I can't draw better at EP's oekaki than the MH oekaki. <_<

7. chaos on the internet

For the same reason every site has a forum, I suppose. If it's like a community thing (like forums), then having a proper niche and a unique crowd of forum goers would keep it alive (like forums!)

It's amazing how much stuff banks on niches. :(

8. Goldyoshi

Goldyoshi I > You

The thing is, it isn't for chatting, it's for drawing. And you could just as well hang out in fan art on the forums if you wanted to critisize pictures!

There is no real community in Oekakis, just people who draw and comment. It can't keep a site together, at least, I think. :O

And yes, finding your niche is important. I always hated it when Ifo und a site that had news and info that I could just as well get somewhere else. If they had other stuff, well, OK, but it should be unique. No 'Raise a Pikachu' game, or 'Catch a Pidgey', you didn't make it.

For example, on my site, Ihave POkemon theories, explaining thigns like why Feebas only live in 6 tiles and why Electrode explodes at the slightest shock. I have fun things there. Personality. And that's rare nowadays.

I liked this guide so much, I posted a link to it at another forums, with credit, of course. hopefully, more people will read ut. <_<;

9. chaos on the internet

Can you list the forums you post this on? I always like reading feedback to things.

10. Goldyoshi

Goldyoshi I > You

11. Dragonfree

Dragonfree Just me Staff Member Moderator

*prods* You never posted it at my forums. o.o

But yeah, it's a nice guide.

12. Goldyoshi

Goldyoshi I > You

Well, I thought that he meant a list of forums to post it on. 0_o

But I'll do it if you wants. *posts at all forums she hasn't posted it on before*

13. Dragonfree

Dragonfree Just me Staff Member Moderator

I was under the impression he meant a list of forums you had posted it on.

14. Jetx

Jetx hooray, it's Jetx!

Uh... I finaly read this throughly, and I happen to disagree with you with alot of the things you mentioned. As do some others from SPPf, that I talked to once, but they never bothered to post. It is also to opinionated, I don't mean to be rude, and I appreciate the effort you put into it, but, I have my own opinion on the stuff you mentioned that I'm about to show now. Hopefully you can consider it and explain slightly why I am wrong, if I am wrong...

Yes... And you say you don't boast at all? Ah well, I'll start quoting every paragraph with my opinion. Which is a crazy wacky and stupid opinion!!!! =D (joke)
    Can't agree more... Though, you don't always need CSS..
    Well, that's your opinion. If you are affiliated with another site, tell others all about, it's one of your partners so it's not a bad thing. But it can be bad when your right navbar of affiliates is longer than your left...
    Ya, I agree. Only update about your website, such as adding a new page. Not "new pokemon!" a week after everyone knows.
    But you have to put in all the coding and customizing codes, make your own skins, and stuff like that. That paragraph is slightly hypocritical as you do have "discuss this on our forums!" on alot of your main pages...
    Unless you have sub-forums. And that's yabbering on about how your site is perfect again...
    What makes you think anybody reading this DOES want to take your ideas? ;/
    Yes, even if people bug you about it, don't. People keep asking me to hurry up with mine, but, when it's done they'll be in for a surprise. Don't listen to "ooh i can't wait to see, give me the URL!", tell those who are planning to contribute to it, but keep it hidden from the general internet public.
    But banners are pwetty! ^_^
    I never really thought about that... You definately taught me something there. But a banner and a description is better than a link that contains the description, is it not?
    I like that layout... As do others... Affiliates look crap on the left and on the main page... The right bar is just a nice place to put it. The average pokemon fan is used to that layout. But, I have to agree about the amount of left-navbar links, create subpages, that's the solution. :p
    Affiliates just belong on the right bar imo. Are you suggesting that we dump affiliates in a footer? Where do you think they belong?
    If you give people a reason to go there, they will...
    I agree, but right-click disable is the easiest way to get rid of thieves who don't know how to view the html..
    Agreed again.
    Those slogans suck. I can't agree more. My one is.. Wierd, but I suppose that makes it memorable.
    Unless it's readable...
    S'pose.. In most cases anyway.
    I agree there, sister sites are good, but billions of affiliates are bad. If you get well known for denying affiliation requests, amybe it'll lead people to the other affiliates. I started searching a bunch of (no names mentioned)'s affiliate because I wanted to know if I'd be able to manage it. Then again, how many people do what I do? I'm a freak. :p
    YES! I hugely agree with that. If a host kills your URLs, don't use it.
    Maybe you are, but I hate that type of boasting. Hey, it's nice to see that you like to see other sites develop though. :)
    I probably will, but I might not...

I felt that I had to comment on that, that's the whole reason for this post. But, I've definately learnt quite a bit, so thanks for writing this thing..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  15. chaos on the internet

I think you misunderstood alot of the parts you "disagree" with.

This isn't an HTML help thread, but if you're doing presentational aspects of your site with anything besides CSS you are making a mistake.

You took my quote completely out of context, so really any comments you have are void. Please read the next paragraph after it. You should probably give your comments point by point, instead of paragraph by paragraph. Even so, that paragraph stands true on its own. Users aren't going to wet themselves looking at your affiliate list and splash page, don't concentrate so much on it.

What on earth are you talking about?

No. Perhaps you should be more concerned about the content of the page as opposed to trying to point out everytime where my ego shows! Creating too many forums too early on is a sure fire way to kill it off quickly; you don't have enough activity to fill up the forums. Activity attracts activity- if people look at your forums and notice a bunch of empty forums they are going to shy away from registering because it looks like the forums are inactive. Nobody wants to post on an inactive forum.

The point of a forum isn't to categorize every post into a subforum that is on topic. You don't even know what your community is interested in at the very beginning of a forums life span. Start out small, and if you notice a large majority of posts about one subject create a new forum for said subject.

Okay, good job missing the point. To answer your question, because I have seen so many startup forums do it.

The average Pokemon fan can get his Pokemon information at any average site. This isn't a guide on how to be every other Pokemon site.

-----------------

Unless you want me to take jabs at your site/forums to prove my points, please do not attempt call me out for considering my site is "perfect."

16. Jetx

Jetx hooray, it's Jetx!

That's why I agreed with you about loads of stuff. Your site is WAY beter than mine anyway. And as the forum part, I'm on about invisionfree... Now I think about, more forums than members does kill the site.

I didn't mean to annoy you, I just wanted to point out my points so that youj could explain them better to me...

But the thing I really want to know is, where do you think we should put our forum links?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  17. Bling Slaking

Bling Slaking Bugger

Yea but it's so much work! :p You may as well just do yer best and as long as you enjoy making the site, it doesn't matter too much how it looks, as you learn from doing it yourself better.

18. Jetx

Jetx hooray, it's Jetx!

If you're not prepared to put loads of effort into your site, it's not gonna get far. Doing it yourself is better, but chaos is showing helpful tips when you are doing it yourself. <_<

19. chaos on the internet

Please don't quote the whole article...

If you don't want to make your site popular, then it's not for you. This is targeted at people who understand HTML and want to make a successful site.

20. azurill

azurill Well-Known Member

yes,it is an amazing guide for webmasters.the road to succes XD.But please,next time try to be less insulting towards serebii.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.