• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

chaos' guide to making a successful site v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentChronon

I <3 Buoysel
Magma Leader Maxie said:
You two, Faltzer and AgentChronon, are just pointlessly arguing about something that isn't the subject of this thread, and it is rather annoying.

Yes this is the fourth argument that we have been holding XD we always argue with each other.

Oh and BTW I agree with every single thing you said in that post.

Faltzer

[Hold ALT+F4 ]
We were ON topic for your information MLM,we were discussing on where people can place other affiliates,other types of navigation,etc. which was related to the topic.

Magma Leader Maxie

Non caedor caedo
Faltzer said:
We were ON topic for your information MLM,we were discussing on where people can place other affiliates,other types of navigation,etc. which was related to the topic.
chaos on the internet said:
This guide is solely my opinion, if you disagree with my opinion I don't care, don't post about it. If you want to have your own opinions, make your own "____ guide to making a successful site v1" topic. Keep them out of my topic.
And there I was, under the impression that chaos specifically asked you not to purposelessly argue with what he said about affiliates and 3-columned site designs, or anything else for that matter.

W

whatadai

um. affiliates help a lot. you just have to know who to affiliate with. if you've ever been affiliated with ppn or suta-raito you'd get 2342341234 visitors. i was also site of the month on ppn once and that got me a lot of visitors and suta-raito too. of course those two are big sites and hard to get affiliated with, but thats why you work harder to make yours good enough for them.

Trainer Rachel

Let's do it!
whatadai said:
um. affiliates help a lot. you just have to know who to affiliate with. if you've ever been affiliated with ppn or suta-raito you'd get 2342341234 visitors. i was also site of the month on ppn once and that got me a lot of visitors and suta-raito too. of course those two are big sites and hard to get affiliated with, but thats why you work harder to make yours good enough for them.

I agree that having the right affiliates CAN help A LOT.

AgentChronon

I <3 Buoysel
And I agree with both of you.

(No offense to pokelericon, I actually like his layout. It's easy to read and has a cool color scheme. Just a gay slogan! Good luck with your site ;))

This is something that really bothers me and I know you are not the only person that does that, but the slogan is not "gay". Gay means two things, happy... and well we know what the other thing is. I'm sure the slogan is not happy, as chaos said he didn't like it. But slogans don't even have genders, so they're not "gay". They're stupid maybe, but not "gay". I'm sorry, but that really bugs me.

1. Oh my god, stop affiliating so much. That doesn't help anyone, nobody clicks affiliate links ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF YOUR LAYOUT. PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY IGNORE THINGS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF YOUR LAYOUT SINCE THEY ARE CONDITIONED TO BELIEVE THAT LEFT - LINKS TO CONTENT | CENTER - CONTENT | RIGHT - LINKS TO THINGS NOBODY CARES ABOUT.

I'm sorry, but usually the second thing I do when I go to a site is (after I browse the content) click on about half of the affiliates. I've been to every single one of TCoD's affiliates and I have become a fan of a lot of them.

AgentChronon

I <3 Buoysel
Fiery Blaziken said:
AC:
You =/= everyone else.
And if you're offended by that, I really reccomend you not to go to Smogon. ._.

Sorry bout my online term stupidity, but what does =/= mean?

Yeah I know people do that a lot at Smogon... it's just something that bugs me a lot.

AgentChronon

I <3 Buoysel
Oh okay. It's just something that really really bothers me...

Trainer Rachel

Let's do it!
AgentChronon, I agree with you a lot (if not fully... I can't remember what all you've said =P) And yeah, the "gay" thing is fairly annoying, but meh, at least he didn't use anything worse.

AgentChronon said:
I'm sorry, but usually the second thing I do when I go to a site is (after I browse the content) click on about half of the affiliates. I've been to every single one of TCoD's affiliates and I have become a fan of a lot of them.

TOTALLY AGREED! Lol, I love checking out other sites and stuff. People do click on affiliate links, no matter what people say. Does everybody? No. But a lot do.

AgentChronon

I <3 Buoysel
Well it's good to know someone agrees with me, kinda balances off Faltzer disagreeing with me.

Faltzer

[Hold ALT+F4 ]
I've set a special script on my site to see how many hits I get from my affiliates. PokePark usually recieves around 100 unique hits a day,and look at this:

"Pokepark:6"

Proof of affiliates NOT generating clicks to your site.

AgentChronon

I <3 Buoysel
Hmm so? That's about what I would expect, 10%.... well it's less than 10% but it's probably on a bad day... and 100 isn't that much, that's what my site gets.

But you see most of them have already come to your site, and now they just type it in or have it on their favorites. So you see it probably gives you about 20 hits or so.

Trainer Rachel

Let's do it!
Yeah, if they only get 100 hits, (not saying that's small, but compared to other sites) I wouldn't expect to get many clicks to my site. BUT say, if you affiliated with Serebii, then you're bound to get loads of hits.

Faltzer

[Hold ALT+F4 ]
AgentChronon said:
100 isn't that much, that's what my site gets.

All lies.
It's hard to get 100 unique hits per day,and I'm lucky I get 50-60 unique per day. And who do you think I am? Some kind of dumbass? I used a link checker to see how much hits you gained and it showed you only recieved "10" per day.

Trainer Rachel said:
Yeah, if they only get 100 hits, (not saying that's small, but compared to other sites) I wouldn't expect to get many clicks to my site. BUT say, if you affiliated with Serebii, then you're bound to get loads of hits.

That isn't logic enough,and what's the chance of being affiliated with a cocky webmaster? None.

chaos on the internet

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
But the problem is, sites tend to only affiliate with sites the same size as them. Of course if you affiliate with Serebii you are going to get loads of hits. Is Serebii going to affiliate with you? No. Moot "what if" questions are useless :/ Unless you have a specialized site (hello, you've found your niche which is the "theme" of this topic) the only sites that will affiliate with you are going to be other new small sites. No popularity + affiliation with sites that get no popularity =/= popularity. The amount of hits you get from affiliation does not justify cluttering up your website with buttons. Now, I affiliate with Bulbagarden for other reasons than hits but out of the ~2,500,000 page views my site has had this month so far 8,292 have come from Bulbagarden. There are other ways to get visitors to your site than affiliation, don't waste your time with buttons ._.

Faltzer

[Hold ALT+F4 ]
Exactly,what chaos said. Affiliation isn't the only way to gain hits/visitors to your site. Placing 100 buttons on your site is going to slow everything down more. You can advertize your site on plugboards,saybox's,sigs,etc.

AgentChronon

I <3 Buoysel
Faltzer said:
All lies.
It's hard to get 100 unique hits per day,and I'm lucky I get 50-60 unique per day. And who do you think I am? Some kind of dumbass? I used a link checker to see how much hits you gained and it showed you only recieved "10" per day.

Hmm... that's weird my site has been up 45 days and has over 3000 hits so that would be 66.6666666666666666666 etc. per day... well it wasn't quite 100 but it wasn't 10.... and for the first 14 days I didn't advertise it at all so I think it's about 100 per day I know one day I got 300..

On the other hand it's not counting unique hits, just front page hits like TCoD, so that would be less.

Trainer Rachel

Let's do it!
I know that affiliation isn't the only way to get hits. I agree that you should also advertise your site and stuff, but if you were to get the right affiliates (yes, just accept this "what if" question) there's no denying that it'd help.

Status
Not open for further replies.