1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Character Ages

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by ~-Overheat-~, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. candyscience

candyscience ~Misty Fan~

In my mind, I see Ash as being around fourteen.
    I mean, come ON. Do the producers HONESTLY believe that we'd fall for the fact that he hasn't "aged" at all in the past , what, 12 seasons?
    It's impossible.
    In fact, I'm doing this project by myself to see HOW much time has REALLY passed.
    What I'm doing is re-watching every episode from season one to present, and counting up the days/nights that go.
    So far, at episode 5, about 3 months have passed...according to what characters say themseves. As in, on episode 3, Ash stated that he had been on his journey for 2 weeks now.

Anyways, heres my list.

Misty-15
    Ash-14
    May-12 or 13
    Dawn-11 or 12...it's hard to tell with her...
    Max-9 ish
    Tracey-16
    Jesse-24
    James-24
    Brock-20-22
    Gary-14
    Drew-12
    Paul-15

Yeahh...this is coming straight from my head...so, its probobly not gonna be right..
    .OH WELL!

2. hmmm

hmmm Scuffle of Legends

On episode 516, it was stated that Ash and Dawn had been travelling for one full year in Sinnoh. They started in Sinnoh in episode 469. 516-469=47.
    By this logic 1 year= approx. 47 episodes.

Ash left his house in Pallet Town on his birthday, if I remember correctly.
    SOO
    is the US, up to episode 548 has been aired.
    548/47=11.65

So according to this logic, if the time ratio was kept for the full series of pokemon (which it wasn't), Ash should be about 21 or 22 years old.

3. Araleon

Araleon Chill

Was that stated in the dub or raw?

4. hmmm

hmmm Scuffle of Legends

raw, the dub never aired

it was an overview of their year in sinnoh, and a clip show....

it says it in the episode guide for the episode

5. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom @JohanSSB4 Twitter

wasn't 516 one of those recap episodes, like the one in Hoenn, when they're heading to the grand festival? If so, then it's just Japanese.

EDIT: Answered my question, thanks.

6. Adeku

Adeku Formerly Torterra14

Ash: 14-15
    Dawn:13-14
    Brock:17-19
    May:14
    Max:8-9

Thats what I think their ages are.

7. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

I'd say 5 years have passed since the beginning

8. Shiny qwilfish of doom

Shiny qwilfish of doom Back in White

good guess,but its actually around 2 years.

9. ShinyPalkia

ShinyPalkia Well-Known Member

^ Is that confirmed? I don't think so. Otherwise the Pokémon would die from training so much in such a little time, plus they should move really fast like Deoxys Speed form or something. :\ C'moon, teens/kids walking across like four regions in two years? No-no.

On topic: I doubt they ever actually grow up in the anime, but if they did:

Ash: 16
    Gary: 16
    Misty: 16,5
    Brock: 18
    Tracey: 17
    Oak: 65
    Delia: 40

May: 12,5-13
    Max: 10
    Drew: 14
    Harley: 18

Dawn: 11
    Paul: 15
    Nando: 20

Jessie: 26
    James: 24
    Giovanni: 52

Pikachu: 8
    Piplup: 4
    Meowth: 11

10. poshamma

poshamma Well-Known Member

Ash- 10
    Misty- 10
    May-10
    Dawn-10
    Brock-15
    Max-7

Those are the OFFICIAL ages of the characters.

11. ShinyCharyZard

ShinyCharyZard Honesty=Infractions

So, when we got to the episode where it clearly stated that Ash and Dawn had been travelling together for a year, you came to the conclusion that all the other sagas/series from Kanto-Sinnoh were squeezed into one other year?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  12. Jesse GS the II

Jesse GS the II I was frozen today!

These things can't be called official unless they have a reliable source. Where'd you hear this?

13. Igottapoo

Igottapoo In my nightmares

14. mclovin

mclovin All Hail Glaceon

I wonder what its like for Brock who is going through puberty, yet hanging around with ten year olds. So Misty was a 10 year old gym leader.

15. candyscience

candyscience ~Misty Fan~

Yeah...thats kinda wierd to think about, right?!
    Thats pretty pathetic in all honety...well, not for Misty...Thats way freaking awsome for misty to be a 10 year old gym leader...
    Its PATHETIC for her sisters Lily, Violet, and Daisy!
    I mean, COME ON! The three "sensational" sisters are like 17, 18, and 19, and their youngest baby sister better than them at raising pokemon...
    its sad.

But awsome for Misty, cause she's the best! Yay!

And as for Brock, yeah. THATS kinda funny to think about...but it DOES explain his constant horn-dogging all the girls...playa-playa...
    Hahhh...isn't puberty FUN?! But honestly....I can't picture Brock only being 15...He seems like he's more like 18-20...but thats just the way I see it being drawn now-a-days....

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  16. Jesse GS the II

Jesse GS the II I was frozen today!

Actually, Bulbapedia can be edited by anybody, so I'd say its power is pretty easily underestimated.

The only two disputable ages there are Misty and Brock. Misty's page claims that her age was mentioned in the Japanese version of "Ash Catches a Pokémon", while Brock's page cites "Showdown in Pewter City". I haven't seen any evidence of the characters' ages being given in either episode (and I've seen both the American and Japanese versions) - but then again, I don't speak Japanese. Maybe we should ask Dogasu about this.

17. zandgaia

zandgaia *Gasp* He's back!

well that isn't right how can may be 10 anyway!??? she should be atleast 13 as for ash he should be around 15 now (if they would age!!!)

18. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

Because Pokemon (like any other animated long running series) is a cyclical series. What happened 5 seasons ago, 5 weeks ago...even 1 story arc ago, matters very little to the current episode/story arc. Therefore, they don't really change. The role of the characters may change (Ash is now a somewhat experienced trainer, and usually helps out a new one like Dawn and May; Team Rocket turned from villains to comic relief; etc...), but their ages largely stay the same.

Really. Even if a birthday or age is explictly mentioned, it likely won't matter ever, ever again. When these characters age, then the core audience of the anime (early teenage years, but mostly younger than that) won't be able to relate.

19. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

I guess people don't get floating timelines these days. Unless they directly state a characters age on pokemon (not days, weeks, and so on), they will be the same age as they started out.

20. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

Which is weird, because it's pretty common in fiction, and I'm pretty certain that Pokemon (anime and games) aren't the only "ageless" franchises these kids have heard of, or are fans of. Comics from DC and Marvel, the James Bond movies, The Simpsons, Flinstones, and 3 stooges, TONS of video games, and many other franchises are set, more or less, "ageless." They may reference past events, and even feature past characters, but they'll rarely make a reference to them in a specific time span or give a specific age. Most often, specific time spans/ages are done very early in the franchise, and are later ignored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.