• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Customization Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Along with that, we would need a good selection of adorable clothes that we can wear while figure skating! :D

......figure skating gym leaders/trial captains confirmed?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I guess the only thing I can add to discussion would inclusion of basic accessories and jewelry like rings, bracelets, necklaces etc. Every other idea(body styles, facial customization, bags) have be discussed already. Customizable gimmick rings would be cool, but they also been discussed in the past, and merchandising would be a mess, so I don't expect them.

Edit: Alright then. This post is largely pointless now.

Last edited:

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I guess the only thing I can add to discussion would inclusion of basic accessories and jewelry like rings, bracelets, necklaces etc. Every other idea(body styles, facial customization, bags) have be discussed already. Customizable gimmick rings would be cool, but they also been discussed in the past, and merchandising would be a mess, so I don't expect them.
Actually, that has been added already. I brought up the idea of jewelry.

SleepingGiant

Discord mod (Sudo)
Actually, that has been added already. I brought up the idea of jewelry.
Nobody reads any of the posts in this section. Almost every post is a regurgitation of an earlier post.

That said, I'd like to see something where your outfit of choice has some kind of effect in the overworld. Snow and sand are easy areas to cause the player to have lower vision and mobility if they aren't prepared, but there can be other options too, like wearing something light/breathable for climbing in the mountains. Right now, customization is purely aesthetic, which is fine to some degree but since the player never needs to interact with it, it does feel like a loose end tacked on to the world instead of something integrated into culture and lifestyle. I understand not everyone likes playing dress-up for fun, but at the same time, almost every game that has player customization also gives some kind of impact on the customization choices you make. It's a game design choice for a reason. Just don't tie clothing choices to in-battle effects.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah, Game Freak could even make certain types of clothing necessary to advance through certain parts of the game, like going through a dessert only in thinner clothing or snowy areas in thicker clothing.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Yeah, Game Freak could even make certain types of clothing necessary to advance through certain parts of the game, like going through a dessert only in thinner clothing or snowy areas in thicker clothing.
Oooh, I would love that so much! And it would get people to actually play around with the feature a lot more. :D

It always looked so off to be standing atop snowy mount lanakila in a halter top and short-shorts, no matter how adorable my little Ayla looked. ^^;

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Oooh, I would love that so much! And it would get people to actually play around with the feature a lot more. :D
Yeah, if that gets the cut, I will be expecting that there will at least be three styles of each type of clothing for each gender, whether they're shared or not. I remember in the Gen 7 games my character was wearing summer clothes at Mt. Lanakila and it didn't seem to make any sense at all.

Ultra Beast Lover

Not a bad idea, it would certainly make things seem more alive if we had to wear certain clothes in harsh climates. Of course they'd have to make the choices varied so players won't get annoyed with being made to wear something else.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Nobody reads any of the posts in this section. Almost every post is a regurgitation of an earlier post.

That said, I'd like to see something where your outfit of choice has some kind of effect in the overworld. Snow and sand are easy areas to cause the player to have lower vision and mobility if they aren't prepared, but there can be other options too, like wearing something light/breathable for climbing in the mountains. Right now, customization is purely aesthetic, which is fine to some degree but since the player never needs to interact with it, it does feel like a loose end tacked on to the world instead of something integrated into culture and lifestyle. I understand not everyone likes playing dress-up for fun, but at the same time, almost every game that has player customization also gives some kind of impact on the customization choices you make. It's a game design choice for a reason. Just don't tie clothing choices to in-battle effects.
I hope that they don't do that. Not everyone is interested in customization, you know.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I hope that there are more outfit choices, especially for guys. I hope that version exclusive clothing goes away, which I believe is happening because I don't think that Festival Plaza is coming back.

Sprinter1988

I just want to be able to obtain clothing of in-game characters because damn it if I decide to do a Bug-type run I should be able to dress as a Bug Catcher! And if I wanna be the very best I should be able to dress up like the Champion!

Ultra Beast Lover

And again, capes. I don't know anyone who doesn't like a cape. And maybe the special clothes can be obtained as rewards like different gym leaders will give you the clothes of the gym leader number they were, defeating the evil team gets you evil team uniforms etc.,

Kage-Pikachu

Just please get rid of the perpetual smile...I want to see more emotion from our character, at least in the cut scenes, I don't care how he/she looks when in gameplay.

Orphalesion

I'd like the game to ask me right at the start whether I want to change the character's clothes and/or hairstyle from a small selection of beginning clothes at least. The less time my character has to spend in whatever "fashion don't" gamefreak decided to put the male character this time, the better.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I'd like the game to ask me right at the start whether I want to change the character's clothes and/or hairstyle from a small selection of beginning clothes at least. The less time my character has to spend in whatever "fashion don't" gamefreak decided to put the male character this time, the better.

I would love to see that, too. Maybe have one or two selections of hat (or no hat), shirt (short-sleeved and long-sleeved), and pants/shorts. If I were the one designing it, I would have the clothes be more casual and what normal people would wear given the environment of the region. If it was a cold region, long sleeves and long pants would be favored more heavily among the default choices. If it was a warmer and/or more tropical region, short sleeves (or sleeveless at least for girls) and shorts would be favored more heavily among the default choices. That would allow a player to dress as they want while leaving options for more customization later on as the game progresses.

.Aerodactyl.

I loved the selection in X/Y because there were more styles. Dresses, coats, etc. However, I loved the graphics and details of USUM better. We could take off hats, had more make-up options and eyeware, way more clothing even if it lacked diversity in types and loved that they introduced costumes. They had more hair styles and colours abailavai, etc. As long as they keep going up, even by a little bit, I'll be happy.

I'm okay with some gender specific clothes in that the models are just gonna be shaped a bit different so it's bound to happen. That being said though, I think that like 90% of the clothing options can be the same. A t-shirt is a t-shirt, shoes are shoes, etc. Would love more hair colours especially un-natural, like blue, green, pink, etc. Some hair styles they could do on both genders easy, and no reason guys can't also have bang options. (I'd be floored if they even added two tones to hair, so you could do different coloured streaks, etc.)

I'd love specifically more bag options. I think being able to choose between a purse/side bag, a backpack, a fanny pack and what have you would be great. I hate being stuck with a purse in the last two generations.

reedcollins

ReginaRegina
Overalls.... i want overalls. Please, oh please... overalls.
Overalls would be the cutest thing, I can't believe I'd never thought of that as an outfit option. Good thinking!

I just hope we have character customization in these new games, I don't see why we wouldn't. More options would be great, and to be able to wear the clothes made for either gender would be great too!

Status
Not open for further replies.