• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Character Customization Discussion Thread

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In every instalment of the Pokémon core games since X and Y, with the exception of ORAS, character customization was a core feature that has existed in these games. It is expected that the clothing in the new Gen 8 games will feature new designs and motifs and more types of customization are even possible. Discuss the possibilities character customization will explore and anything else related to character customization.

Aetius

I'd really want them to give us the chance to customize our characters with clothes of characters from the animated series or the game themselves.
An example? Lance's mantle.
I mean, who wouldn't want it?
There are tons of possibilities IMHO.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah, I'd definitely like Trainer based outfits to be in the game. Ash's outfit in Sun and Moon was in USUM so I guess that Ash's Gen 8 outfit might even be in the new games as well as the Nurse Joy outfit being there so hopefully there will be more outfits based on the anime characters. Maybe they could as well start introducing the outfits for the female travelling companions.

Kage-Pikachu

To be honest, I was never into customization until X and Y, I had always thought, I want to play as the character. But then when I actually had the option I was like, hey this is cool! I think it's be a nice touch to insert your own avatar into the Pokemon world. Of course they'll have to get rid of the whole 11 year old trainer aspect. Simply being a newbie to the region should be good enough reason to start out on a journey. Maybe they could give you a back story explaining why you didn't start sooner (if you're not 10 or 11) like in your region Pokemon were scarce due to conflict or maybe you're the child of a follower of N...

lol, that's an awful amount of unnecessary thinking just to change outfits, hehe.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
To be honest, I was never into customization until X and Y, I had always thought, I want to play as the character. But then when I actually had the option I was like, hey this is cool! I think it's be a nice touch to insert your own avatar into the Pokemon world. Of course they'll have to get rid of the whole 11 year old trainer aspect. Simply being a newbie to the region should be good enough reason to start out on a journey. Maybe they could give you a back story explaining why you didn't start sooner (if you're not 10 or 11) like in your region Pokemon were scarce due to conflict or maybe you're the child of a follower of N...

lol, that's an awful amount of unnecessary thinking just to change outfits, hehe.
Me too in some way. I never thought it will happen in the first place but at least now it’s already one of the features that gives the player character a fresh new look.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
True, I love lots of the character looks I see when I battle online. Kind of reminds me of the characters of the day in the anime.
Yeah, at least from there it never felt we were battling the same person all over again. But I guess they will introduce more accessories like earrings.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I mean, who wouldn't want it?
Well, although I wouldn't mind if that was in the game, I would most likely not use it. I personally find it to be a bit of a waste of the feature. The whole point of customization is to have your own personalized trainer with his/her own style.

Anyway, additions I'm still hoping for are additional make-up options besides just lipstick, jewelry (including earrings, necklaces, etc.), and the ability to choose your character's age (de-aging the player in SMUSUM was something I wasn't too thrilled about, even if my adorable little Ayla was still so adorable).

Aetius

Well, although I wouldn't mind if that was in the game, I would most likely not use it. I personally find it to be a bit of a waste of the feature. The whole point of customization is to have your own personalized trainer with his/her own style.

You could always mix different clothes and still obtain an original look for your trainer.
As you can see, the possibilities are almost infinite.

Orphalesion

I most likely wouldn't use any clothing copied from the anime characters or characters from past Pokemon games either. It's just not something I would like.
Since I don't watch the anime I can't talk about what people are wearing there, but looking at the past Gym leaders/Elite 4/Trial Captains/Kahunas the only thing I'd put on my character would be Volkner's jacket and, well...a different type of leather jacket would be just as good, imho.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I would like to see character customization be expanded, however, it's not a given that the feature would be included and it may be absent again.

Satoshi & Touko

Okay, I kinda, sorta, take back what I said about me not using any clothing from other game or anime characters. However, I will still say that usage of such clothes would be fairly limited since my adorable little Ayla always prefer to be easily distinguishable from the rest of the crowd. ^^

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would like to see character customization be expanded, however, it's not a given that the feature would be included and it may be absent again.
It’s not like it’s a remake of a Pokémon game other than X and Y and Sun and Moon so it will likely return. Anyway it’s already a very popular feature and many players will be upset if it were to be removed for a new gen game like this.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I would like to see classic character clothing, like Red's hat with the badge on it instead of just , and the clothing's from Pokemon Adventures, specifically Yellow's iconic outfit. Or at least her straw hat with the rainbow and silver feathers. I've always wanted a straw hat as part of customization. And maybe Looker's detective coat and his amazing disguise from Pokemon Adventures. If you look at my avatar, that is Looker's amazing disguise, Lookerski, when he entered the Pokemon League. You can barely recognize him under that getup.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
It’s not like it’s a remake of a Pokémon game other than X and Y and Sun and Moon so it will likely return. Anyway it’s already a very popular feature and many players will be upset if it were to be removed for a new gen game like this.
I don't know. GF doesn't care about how upset players are except when it directly harms sales, and I don't think that removing trainer customization would do that much damage to sales.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I don't know. GF doesn't care about how upset players are except when it directly harms sales, and I don't think that removing trainer customization would do that much damage to sales.
It's not as if they can make everyone happy but at least they try to make as many people happy as possible. It has had its impact on the online scene and it allowed us to see the variety of Trainers we could customise and so we won't get stuck with a male and a female stock design.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
It's not as if they can make everyone happy but at least they try to make as many people happy as possible. It has had its impact on the online scene and it allowed us to see the variety of Trainers we could customise and so we won't get stuck with a male and a female stock design.
Except this time they introduced a feature that can replace it.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Except this time they introduced a feature that can replace it.
We barely know anything about Pokémon 2019 at this stage and how Trainer Customization will work out. We don't know if Pokémon can be dressed up in Pokémon 2019 either.

Satoshi & Touko

Welp, if LGPE of all games is going to have customization, then there is no doubt in my mind that it will be in this game as well. :D